Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Abandoneds: Forgotten Mountains

I ran across this video after watching the Black Crowes film on the abandoned Ski Rio mountain. I'm sure some of you skied at these mountains before they closed and some have probably skied them since. What are they like? I find the whole idea of abandoned mountains pretty interesting and the uphill access a great prospect for tours in the future.
    swing your fucking sword.

Watched the whole thing.
    We have nelsap.org
    Great stuff. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Watched the whole thing.
    We have nelsap.org
    Great stuff. Thanks
    thank you. i'm definitely gonna check that out more.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    thank you. i'm definitely gonna check that out more.
    NELSAP is new england lost ski areas project.

I posted your movie on Facebook

my aussie cattle dog used to chase us down last run off the gondola at stowe
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I called Berthoud home for a few years in the early 90’s. Shop rat ski tuner by night and skiing pow by day. My boss at the shop was a bump skier and thought I was nuts for wanting my shop provided season pass to be Berthoud instead of Winter Park/Mary Jane. Fuck the old bump fag! Berthoud ruled. It was avalanche terrain everywhere and big fines/consequences for setting off skier triggered slides outside the area boundaries that could/would cover the road. I remember it was a time of just figuring out the backcountry/side country gate access protocols and agreements. We always felt like we were sneaking around and poaching... that was the sense of the group. I had several slabs break around me over my seasons there and am incredibly lucky to have skied out of all them including a slide of nearly the entire west face under the old lift. I straight ran it right out the bottom and one of my my biggest concerns at the time was not getting hit by cars on the road! Classic young and dumb stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA779CE7-CC5E-4E37-87DE-4449B6169CCB.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	707.2 KB 
ID:	349074  
    Last edited by singlecross; 11-21-2020 at 06:33 AM.

Berthoud has more ski traffic on it now than it probably ever did as a resort. One mag here is a leader of the Friend of Berthoud Pass Org.

The premier of this film was crazy fun -- sold out shows, intensive stoke.

Guanella is a haul in for sure, at least until spring opens up the road. It gets windblown to crap often but can be pretty good down low and is very lonely. By Spring there are better things to ski off the pass than the old resort.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Berthoud has more ski traffic on it now than it probably ever did as a resort. One mag here is a leader of the Friend of Berthoud Pass Org.

The premier of this film was crazy fun -- sold out shows, intensive stoke.

Guanella is a haul in for sure, at least until spring opens up the road. It gets windblown to crap often but can be pretty good down low and is very lonely. By Spring there are better things to ski off the pass than the old resort.
    good to know. i figured someone involved in the friends of org. was a mag. sounds like they are doing some really cool things with avy education.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I called Berthoud home for a few years in the early 90’s. Shop rat ski tuner by night and skiing pow by day. My boss at the shop was a bump skier and thought I was nuts for wanting my shop provided season pass to be Berthoud instead of Winter Park/Mary Jane. Fuck the old bump fag! Berthoud ruled. It was avalanche terrain everywhere and big fines/consequences for setting off skier triggered slides outside the area boundaries that could/would cover the road. I remember it was a time of just figuring out the backcountry/side country gate access protocols and agreements. We always felt like we were sneaking around and poaching... that was the sense of the group. I had several slabs break around me over my seasons there and am incredibly lucky to have skied out of all them including a slide of nearly the entire west face under the old lift. I straight ran it right out the bottom and one of my my biggest concerns at the time was not getting hit by cars on the road! Classic young and dumb stuff.
    that is some pretty sick shit. i agree, fuck bumps. so cool to hear from people that actually skied these resorts in their subjective "primes". sounds like most had terrible business models and were destined to go under at sooner rather than later. you ever get back up there since it closed?

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Great stoke - thanks for sharing.

Always loved this video:

I don’t remember what the ski hill between Townsend and White sulfur was called (closed before I moved there) At the head of deep creek canyon. Pretty fun to hike/skin and ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Some areas in the piemont died. one of them quite recently... I hope it's just a hibernation because the tree skiing was mindblowing
    German ski areas outside the alps are generally to low too exist much longer. some still linger.....

winterhorn near andermatt shut down as some sort of environmental exchange for the sedrun andermatt link up.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A nice history of Berthoud for anyone interested: https://www.skyhinews.com/trending/a...pass-ski-area/
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

There's the remnants of an old rope tow at Hilltop Lodge (ie Cottonwood Restaurant) in Truckee. There have been various lifts over the years as well as a jumping hill at Cisco and a rope tow at Lake Mary. And the first skiing related lawsuit in the Sierra in 1935.
    https://www.truckeehistory.org/hillt...a-history.html

I probably set a record for slowest ascent of Marshall Mountain. Missoula, MT. East Missoula, technically.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Went up to watch Berthoud BadAss when I was in high school. That was an eye opener. There’s a big difference between seeing it on film and seeing it live. I remember getting up there and realizing how glad I was to be too young to compete.

Down here, Stoner is really starting to grow over now. It was easily skiable for decades, even if it was more of a novelty than anything. But the aspens and oak brush are back in full force; there’s better places to ski around here for sure.

I’m glad Chapman Hill in Durango is still rocking with two rope tows and no sign of abating other than the incessant march of global warming. But they parked the ice rink in the runout of the gelande decades ago so no more jumping there. It made for a great amateur event during our annual winter carnival.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I’m glad Chapman Hill in Durango is still rocking with two rope tows and no sign of abating other than the incessant march of global warming. But they parked the ice rink in the runout of the gelande decades ago so no more jumping there. It made for a great amateur event during our annual winter carnival.
    I had a bunch of Ft. Lewis alum that did the Goliath back in the 70’s.

Deep Creek, Montana

On the road from Anaconda to Wisdom/Big Hole.

https://mapcarta.com/23642020
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nice.
    I stumbled upon a forgotten ski hills website a few years back, but it was really minimal and hadn't been updated in years (I think it might have been a Geocities site!). Will have to try and track it down again, if only for the esoteric spots it listed.

There are a few ones out by Lassen and there was Iron Mountain down by Kirkwood, as far as stuff near/around Tahoe.

Interesting to note: when you Google "forgotten ski resorts" the bulk of the articles that pop up are about Colorado.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=forg...obile&ie=UTF-8

When you type in "abandoned ski resorts" stories about Vermont and California pop up first.

When you narrow your search to California, quite a few pop up:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...e-gws-wiz-serp
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

That Berthoud video is sweet, I was in a bunch of those comps and I think I recognize a few of those guys. If I remember right, for a while they were running a deal where a car load of four could get tickets for $20. Total. With shuttles picking up at the bottom of the pass. Was making plans to move to WP and make Berthoud my home mountain when they shut down for good.
    Wonder if any ski areas are gonna go outta biz and join the list due to covid.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

The second avalanche I ever experienced up close and personal was at Berthoud in ‘87. Us snowboarders didn’t know fuck-all about avalanche terrain/etc. But then again, there were only a few people who did ‘get it’.
    I got real paranoid, real quick.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

if you ski at Niseko there is an abandoned ski hill just past Moiwa, lots of hot springs, an army barracks just to one side where they ski on wierd tele gear
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Wonder if any ski areas are gonna go outta biz and join the list due to covid.
    this was my thought too. i would not be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Nice.
    I stumbled upon a forgotten ski hills website a few years back, but it was really minimal and hadn't been updated in years (I think it might have been a Geocities site!). Will have to try and track it down again, if only for the esoteric spots it listed.

There are a few ones out by Lassen and there was Iron Mountain down by Kirkwood, as far as stuff near/around Tahoe.

Interesting to note: when you Google "forgotten ski resorts" the bulk of the articles that pop up are about Colorado.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=forg...obile&ie=UTF-8

When you type in "abandoned ski resorts" stories about Vermont and California pop up first.

When you narrow your search to California, quite a few pop up:
    https://www.google.com/search?client...e-gws-wiz-serp
    Iron Mountain--gotta love a ski area where the access road ends at the lodge--at the top of the hill.