Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I had a bunch of Ft. Lewis alum that did the Goliath back in the 70’s.
    I got to jump it for what will almost certainly be the last time in 2008. We had a bunch of guys from Steamboat and Jackson down, and a few of us knuckleheads from Purg that hadn’t jumped before. There’s nothing like going 0-60 in two seconds when the only thing you can see past the lip of the jump is the parking lot.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    14,041
    that was good

    ski rio too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,263
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    That Berthoud video is sweet, I was in a bunch of those comps and I think I recognize a few of those guys. If I remember right, for a while they were running a deal where a car load of four could get tickets for $20. Total. With shuttles picking up at the bottom of the pass. Was making plans to move to WP and make Berthoud my home mountain when they shut down for good.
    Wonder if any ski areas are gonna go outta biz and join the list due to covid.
    I think I remember Lemon Boy did too, with Linkins.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,583
    When I lived in Idaho's Balls we used to tour around on the defunct Taylor Mountain, it was pretty fun and got better snow than Kelly Canyon. The land owners shut down access but a quick google reveals it may be tourable again?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you ski at Niseko there is an abandoned ski hill just past Moiwa, lots of hot springs, an army barracks just to one side where they ski on wierd tele gear
    Good touring over there. And ahhhh, the onsens.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Dirty E
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Deep Creek, Montana

    On the road from Anaconda to Wisdom/Big Hole.

    https://mapcarta.com/23642020
    My parents have a place right up the road from there. Still see the runs cut in to the hill--looks like it would have been a really fun little spot.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151229_08_21_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	349388

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,769
    Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    My parents have a place right up the road from there. Still see the runs cut in to the hill--looks like it would have been a really fun little spot.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20151229_08_21_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	349388


    Just my 2cents worth, but methinks you need to hit that this season...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Dirty E
    Posts
    852
    Word has it that the folks that own it aren't keen on letting people up there. I think the reason it shut down in the first place was an injury-related insurance case. Also they tore out the bridge over the river, so the only path up there is through private property and gates. Would be fun to see how open they are to a "local" in the area, though.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,432
    Ski rio. Skied it. If you are thinking about touring there, you probably drive by better terrain getting there.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    857
    The old Marble resort .. towers, cables, abandoned lodge still there.
    100% private. I guess a few years ago someone on a saucer sled crashed into a tree and either got really hurt, maybe died. The owner is super strict now and there is effectively no access.

    http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/marble.html

    Also, Hayden was almost a go back in the 1930s (?) but I think failed with WW2. Still some road grades up there, and Hayden peak is a regular, albeit busy, tour. It's important that at least one person falls in the creek.
    north bound horse.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I ran across this video after watching the Black Crowes film on the abandoned Ski Rio mountain. I'm sure some of you skied at these mountains before they closed and some have probably skied them since. What are they like? I find the whole idea of abandoned mountains pretty interesting and the uphill access a great prospect for tours in the future.
    Just weighing in to say I enjoyed this video and the history of the commentary...

    enjoy what you have while you can...

    Thank you for this post and this thread - tj

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Iron Mountain--gotta love a ski area where the access road ends at the lodge--at the top of the hill.
    Just gotta get there before the sleds track it out!

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Tremontaine
    Posts
    110
    Solid video and enjoyed hearing from the folks who skied these hills in their heyday. There are a good number of defunct places in New England but donít know of many that can still be skied. It seems most are in low snow areas, fully grown in, or now private property.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Great stoke - thanks for sharing.

    Always loved this video:


    Thanks for sharing this one! I remember skiing there when one of those comps was going on in 2000. Brings back such great memories of such a cool place to ski.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    That Berthoud video is sweet, I was in a bunch of those comps and I think I recognize a few of those guys. If I remember right, for a while they were running a deal where a car load of four could get tickets for $20. Total. With shuttles picking up at the bottom of the pass. Was making plans to move to WP and make Berthoud my home mountain when they shut down for good.
    Wonder if any ski areas are gonna go outta biz and join the list due to covid.
    I remember the car load deals...I also seem to remember there was a variable priced lift ticket based on new snow or not...I think it was something like $25 for regular and $35 for a powder day. Riding those buses back up to the lifts never got old.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    31
    Great share - thank you!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,866
    I missed this thread the first time around, so glad for this m series jong's bump!

    Glad to see this movie get some attention outside of CO! As doebedoe said, the premiere of this was insanely fun, I still can't believe we had a packed house for it.
    There are many mags that are a part of Friends of Berthoud Pass, including many of the OG founders. Some still post here, some don't.
    Sadly, I never skied BP when it was a resort, I would have loved to.
    I've explored around a few of the other CO abandoned ski areas, but lack of snowfall was a major reason many closed, and climate change has not improved that situation. Still some fun turns to be had out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    13,589
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I missed this thread the first time around, so glad for this m series jong's bump!

    Glad to see this movie get some attention outside of CO! As doebedoe said, the premiere of this was insanely fun, I still can't believe we had a packed house for it.
    There are many mags that are a part of Friends of Berthoud Pass, including many of the OG founders. Some still post here, some don't.
    Sadly, I never skied BP when it was a resort, I would have loved to.
    I've explored around a few of the other CO abandoned ski areas, but lack of snowfall was a major reason many closed, and climate change has not improved that situation. Still some fun turns to be had out there.
    Huckasoreass for instance. And the first snowboarder in the Berthoud section of the movie looked like Robb Gaffney
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,898
    Stagecoach Ski Area, just 17 miles south of Steamboat. Operated '73-'74, and they have failed to get it running since. There have been talks on and off over the past few years of reopening, the land owner went so far as to actually groom a few more 'runs' for the purpose of selling adjacent properties last year, but the reality, as Adrenalated has stated, is pretty much why it won't come to fruition unless some idiot millionaire wants to give a crack at it. The only benefit Stagecoach has is it's mostly north facing. I lived right at the base for a few years and enjoyed skinning up with my old pooch quite a bit. Some big cats live up in those woods.

    I've often thought how cool it would be to get some MTB trails on that land though, DH and xc. As it is, the Stagecoach development is seeing a ton of action these days, so who knows what the future holds.

    Name:  Stagecoach.jpeg
Views: 160
Size:  322.2 KB
    sorry, square pic from my insta

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,366
    There's a ski lift setup out by the hot springs near steamboat. Is that an abandoned area or just some rich fucks play thing? The houses out there say rich fucks but I always wondered.
    Live Free or Die

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I've often thought how cool it would be to get some MTB trails on that land though, DH and xc.
    A lot of the abandoned CO ski areas are small, lacking in snow, and don't have much steep skiing. In other words, perfect for MTB trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,533
    there is a place here in nc called hawksnest that used to be a ski mountain but is all tubing now. it would be perfect for mtb trails, according to my father.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,507
    Thanks for the video! I haven't seen it is forever. Ski at The Pass>Hang out at Da Pub was the story of my life for a long time and I'm thankful for that. Make Skiing Fun Again.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    There's a ski lift setup out by the hot springs near steamboat. Is that an abandoned area or just some rich fucks play thing? The houses out there say rich fucks but I always wondered.
    It was not a ski lift, it was used to transport something or other way back in the day, I'll see if I can find it again where I read about it. Owner of that property started Moots and after, Eriksen. Other folk up there include owner of Big Agnes, the town's only proctologist, and the owner of the hot springs. I'm lucky to live up there as well, but I'm broke AF, just fortunate to have landed a kick ass rental with a lot of land, incredible wilderness access and awesome neighbors.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,754

    The Abandoneds: Forgotten Mountains

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608235967.391654.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	353385

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608235996.928327.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	353386

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608236250.995262.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	353387

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608236282.637461.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	353388

    Lots of history on CO areas in these two books

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608236979.086433.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	353390

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608237176.860537.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	353393

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608237205.925560.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	353394
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608237014.813398.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	353391  
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •