Ski Rio: Who Skied Here Back in the Day?

Beautiful film and mysteriously captivating shots. Who skied here back in the day?
    swing your fucking sword.

I wanted to ski there as a kid. I've driven up there as an adult but it was gated and not looking very worth it. The aerial shots of the Rio Grande Gorge and NM Sangres are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    I wanted to ski there as a kid. I've driven up there as an adult but it was gated and not looking very worth it.
    I'd love to tour there. It looks like uphill access can be had.

Post pics if you go! Hard for me to motivate to drive 2.5 hours for a potentially gated road leading to 9200 ft when I can drive < 0.5 hr to 10,300 ft. Thought there was something about a cat skiing operation there a few years ago.

In the late 90s in Taos, I used to ski quite a bit with this girl who had moved from Telluride, great skier...skied like a mogul skier, tight stance, real clean upper body. Dreadlocks, made her own ski clothes. If I remember right, she made money fixing folks’ softgoods and selling hats and bags and whatnot.

I took her on a date to a fancy restaurant once, where she mercilessly interrogated me about my family background, making a lot of unhappy faces and disapproving grunts, then she explained that she was a serious, earnest practitioner of Rastafarianism, and something about how we’re all going to end up like our parents and since my dad was a scumbag that was a dealbreaker for her. After that date, she kind of avoided me, as one does a future scumbag, which was sad because she had been a favorite ski partner. It was a pathetic, bumbling, awkward sequence for 20 year old YetiMan...kind of my specialty in those days.

As I remember, she found a much more hippy-appropriate hippyass filthy dreadhead and they moved to Costilla right after Ski Rio closed, presumably with the idea of living cheap off the grid and having the abandoned ski hill to themselves to ski endless pow laps. I never saw her after that move.

I wonder if she’s been up there all this time growing weed and laying down patchouli-smelling powder 8s all these years, popping out dirty hippy babies every other year.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-20-2020 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Writing!

^^ got my curiosity maybe I should head over there tomorrow and look around.
    Maybe next episode will be Cuchara. Only 40 miles away.
    Wonder when they got those conditions for the video? In reality this would be a pretty sweet set up for Bluebird. Probably to far from their front range market.
    off your knees Louie

I skied there once in high school in the 90s. I grew up skiing Monarch, and it had a similar feel. I remember some entertaining terrain. I remember having a really fun day and getting the balls to jump off a rock near the top of a lift, and eating shit when I mis-timed my takeoff and snagged my skis on the rock. I think I remember that they even had a small half pipe back then. The resort felt almost as deserted as in the video. Every time I drive by on the way to Taos I wish I could have skied there a few more times.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    ^^ got my curiosity maybe I should head over there tomorrow and look around.
    Maybe next episode will be Cuchara. Only 40 miles away.
    Wonder when they got those conditions for the video? In reality this would be a pretty sweet set up for Bluebird. Probably to far from their front range market.

they talk cuchara in this one.

Down valley from Telluride a bit:

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Ski Rio was owned by TX investor John Lau, who closed it along with Cuchara in 2000 after running both for a few seasons ... sold Ski Rio to same folks trying to build Berlaimont Estates in Vail Valley ... https://coloradosun.com/2020/11/23/w...aimont-anilca/
    On first

^IIRC there is a really good mtb trail in or around that proposed Berlaimont site. You would access it through Arrowhead and come out in Edwards. A-something was it's name.

Daggummit!
    I came here to get beta on skiing in Brazil...

Oh well, still a cool thread, regardless.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Daggummit!
    I came here to get beta on skiing in Brazil...

Oh well, still a cool thread, regardless.

Yo, I just Pm'd you about your stuff ...

It's not clear from the film if backcountry touring is allowed or not. It seems the entire mountain is private and there are homes there. Can't imagine you can just pull in and start hiking.

Just a few weeks ago picked up a land and homes guide which had separate entries for the base of the ski area and an adjacent large parcel of land where most of the runs are, with a big SOLD across the top.