Stupid question-Look pivot brakes

Full disclosure: I’m just not a look binding guy but I have a pair of skis coming, currently drilled for my bsl with looks. So wtf why not just use the holes.

I’ve spent the last hour learning about look pivot brakes because I do have some of the old blue p18 in my stock at the moment. But brakes are probably on the 90mm side and skis are 125mm.

So my question: what would mags do? you have to buy the whole flipping assembly for like $100? Is that really my best option? Highly doubt someone will be stoked to trade their 130 brakes for 90.

Just trying to understand these things as I’m really only used to markers and Salomon... I’m newb with the looks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I swear brake assemblies were closer to $70 a year or two ago. I suck at bending brakes but it is an option.

Your best bet is probably to find a pair of brake assemblies from someone on here, its definitely possible. When I'm home next week I'll check my parts bin, but I don't think I have any spare 130s on hand at the moment.

I have some 130 brakes, but need 115s. 90 won't work for what I need.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Bending those arms out to 130 means a complete heel disassembly and reassembly, twice, which is not the worst thing in the world but it is a pain in the ass. You can throw them in a vise and do it the big dumb guy way but if you break something, well...
    $100 starts to seem like it’s not so bad after all.

Might have some p18s for sale. Haha. Thanks all. I sort of figured after a little research that indeed it’s not as simple as I was hoping.

I’d vote for try to bend them before dropping $100. Definitely more of a bitch the bending Sollies, but might as well give it a shot. 90 - 125 is a stretch, but they’ll still work. If you fuck it up, buy new assemblies.

There’s a good video on here somewhere. I just bent some 75 out to 105 yesterday and it went pretty okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the old black brakes on your old pivots, they’re probably 75mm not 90mm, and not worth trading except as spare parts. If they’re the modern 95mm brakes, you can probably find someone willing to swap for 130’s.

Stupid question-Look pivot brakes

Post a picture. If they are 95s I might swap you a set of 130 bases.
    Feel free to PM me.

Jackattack is totally right. Older pivots, black brakes. Currently bent over 98mm legend pros.

Thanks for the help all. I suppose I may throw up a trade thread on gear swap and see if anyone wants a few bucks and some skinny brakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605869132.748761.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	348877

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im pretty sure i can hook a few peeps up with better than 100 bucks on dildo brake assemblys
    our shipping leads a micro managing idiot but he likes to pretend hes a journeyman ski tech
    despite not being able to do a journeymans job or carry that work load for 8 hours
    i try to teach the new mounters but it aint reallymy job nor do i have time to helicopter someone elses kids
    i look over the other day and theyre takin the dildos apart to swap brakes 1/2 moons are out and theyre fighting hard
    so i goes over and explain why we buy the whole fuckin brake assembly
    how you dont git yur digits anywhere near the fuckin mouse trap and how to
    snap the binding and unscrew the dildo and put the new brake assembly on
    so while theyre doing that i inventory search go git the same binding with the brake assembly they need outta stock and put it on their desk with a
    this is why my journeyman veterns ass is here working overtime on veterns day and why im senior high dollar cheif warehouse peon
    and keep it simple stupids
    lifes little victories matter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I bent some 90 mm brakes on my Look Pivots to fit some 117mm skis. It kind of works in the sense that I have brakes, but they don't stop the skis for shit in most types of snow and because of the squirrely way they work with the turntables it is difficult to get them out of the way when they are up so I don't hit them with the other ski occasionally. I would say suck it up and buy some brakes that will actually stop your skis when they come off.

If someone would make an after-market Look/Rossi turntable compatible brake in various sizes they'd probably sell a ton of them.
    Gravity Junkie