Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    The official position:-

Travel for mountain sports

Ski and snowboard at your local mountains. For example, if you live in Vancouver, you should ski at Cypress, Grouse or Mt. Seymour.

Coming from outside of B.C.

At this time, people travelling to B.C. from another province or territory within Canada should only come for essential reasons. If you do travel, you are expected to follow the same travel guidelines as everyone else in B.C.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...t/restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I thought the most accurate (and non-lagging) indicator of disease trend was the percentage of tests that are positive. That and testing of fecal matter at the sewage plant. That'll tell you exactly what's coming in a few weeks.

As we have recently discovered in Montana, there are only two kinds of places in the free world: Those with high Covid numbers, and those that will have them soon enough. You can't stop this shit unless you're waaaay out in front of it, and that just seems to run contrary to human nature.
    Positivity is useful if your test group remains consistent. If the testing moves around from old people to young people to factory workers to movie/tv workers to health workers the number doesn't mean much until you dive into the data. We, the public, aren't privy to the data and get a a single dramatic number. Maybe if the testing becomes expansive then it becomes effectively random and useful. If only some from the PHO would provide some details.

Early on there should have been more random testing to determine how widespread the virus was.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Wrong sled but awesome. Need to make some shirts. Ha.

......wrong quoted post

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    All I can say is.... brrrraaaappppp to freedom.
    Ya i fucked up and im a cheap SOB. I'll learn the hard way bushwacking after they close the lifts and curse you with every fresh pow alpine pic you post

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    I may have old or bad intel. Apologies.
    I wasnt implying that. Im fairly busy at work and im not really up on things. Head down and no time for the local "gossip"/homebody kind of thing. Wondering if theres something more i should know about

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Positivity is useful if your test group remains consistent. If the testing moves around from old people to young people to factory workers to movie/tv workers to health workers the number doesn't mean much until you dive into the data. We, the public, aren't privy to the data and get a a single dramatic number. Maybe if the testing becomes expansive then it becomes effectively random and useful. If only some from the PHO would provide some details.

Early on there should have been more random testing to determine how widespread the virus was.
    Consistency would be great, but regardless of what groups are testing positive or how many tests are being done, if it is all trending upward, it is only leading one place. And by the time you have satisfactory data for the skeptical, it is too late. That's what I saw happen here, anyway. I hope it is different where you live.

Lets be honest- fuck your rules-if your sick stay home

I'm sure plenty will ignore the rules.

Also sure that as soon as there are more than a couple of cases linked to travel to a resort they will all be ordered to close (don't think it will matter whether the transmission is on the hill or in the restaurant, hotel, AirB&B or private house party).

Also sure that many resorts won't reopen this season even if the order is lifted after 2 or 4 weeks.

Oh well, maybe there will be a season next winter. Just hope the local nordic area and the National Parks don't close too.

Throughout the outbreak in Lake Louise we had 0 Cases for most of March and throughout the summer. Now just since Halloween it has been ripping through, I know personally multiple people who have had contacts with positive cases and even know of one positive. We went all summer, with while not crazy visitation like some years but still thousands of people coming to Louise every day and we managed to avoid really any outbreaks.
    We have had mandatory masks indoors in Banff and Canmore and Calgary for months now and yet it still manages to sneak in. Yes luckily deaths are very low and for the most part I think exposure is pretty mild but obviously some people get pretty fucked and then when the healthcare system is strained Co-Vid aside its hard to justify trucking a few broken legs a weekend from a ski hill to the hospital. Really don't know how you manage large amounts of staff accomm in a tourist town where it's either work provided like LL or in places like golden where shits not cheap and your going to have 4-5 people to a house to be able to afford it and then the responsibility is on a bunch of 18 year olds who just want to ski fuck and party to just work and hide in there room for 6 months.

I'd bet LL closes before Christmas, Hope not but won't be surprised if it does.

Certainly have my money on LL closing before Christmas, just hoping the late starting BC resorts have a bit more time to prepare for the incoming dumpster fires.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Throughout the outbreak in Lake Louise we had 0 Cases for most of March and throughout the summer. Now just since Halloween it has been ripping through, I know personally multiple people who have had contacts with positive cases and even know of one positive. We went all summer, with while not crazy visitation like some years but still thousands of people coming to Louise every day and we managed to avoid really any outbreaks.
    We have had mandatory masks indoors in Banff and Canmore and Calgary for months now and yet it still manages to sneak in. Yes luckily deaths are very low and for the most part I think exposure is pretty mild but obviously some people get pretty fucked and then when the healthcare system is strained Co-Vid aside its hard to justify trucking a few broken legs a weekend from a ski hill to the hospital. Really don't know how you manage large amounts of staff accomm in a tourist town where it's either work provided like LL or in places like golden where shits not cheap and your going to have 4-5 people to a house to be able to afford it and then the responsibility is on a bunch of 18 year olds who just want to ski fuck and party to just work and hide in there room for 6 months.

I'd bet LL closes before Christmas, Hope not but won't be surprised if it does.

Certainly have my money on LL closing before Christmas, just hoping the late starting BC resorts have a bit more time to prepare for the incoming dumpster fires.
    I worked at LL back in 2000/2001, and lived in the huge log house staff residence. Is that still there? If so, I'd imagine Covid would spread like wildfire in that residence!

The way things are going, the best we can hope for is strong and enforced travel restrictions, that’ll at least allow us to ski at our local mountains. Businesses can and should be compensated. Advising people to avoid travelling isn’t and won’t work, and is leading us to explosive case growth and a (much more inconvenient and expensive) complete shut down. Bonnie’s reassurances, encouragement, and polyannish perspective on motivating public conduct just isn’t realistic.

Vermont has already done this, as have the maritime provinces.

BC as areas of Beijing-like population density, which is NOT helpful, and you're not going to change that. Plenty of opportunity for you guys to spread this shit around and infect everyone inside your closed borders.

Basically this move protects eastern BC from Calgary, and fuks a lot of BC businesses in that area that rely on tourism. Simple as that. Arguments both ways but it ain't gonna change much, not like BC is some "Covid-free Paradise".
    Best of luck

“We need to make sure that those who want to come to British Columbia must only do so if it is essential for their business or their wellbeing,” said Horgan.

Well part of my well being is going to my cabin in Pano and working from there for a week and being in the mountains.

We stock up on food, enough for a week at a time, seldom go into town, maybe one grocery store trip a week and hardware store.

Our plan was to drive out today, I was going to work from there, and come back next Sunday. Allows me to get a bunch of pre-winter maintenance and projects done. And there might be one other person on our street at the resort. We will likely not see a soul there until season opens, except outside as we walk the dogs daily.

I know a lot of folks whose kids are training through November at the hill. Are they restricted? If not, hardly seems fair as they will have a significantly larger contact patch than we will.

And yes, I think this is a regional issue and one set of rules does not suit every region. East Kootenays , per above have 22 active cases? It isn’t the lower mainland. As for the mask wearing, I am now in the habit, every time I go into any store or indoor public area, I have one on. Sanitize going in, coming out, even somethings while inside.

I totally get the reasons for the restrictions, and sympathize with the goals, but I am certain I am doing everything to minimize risk to myself and others. I know not all are as conscientious, which is part of the problem.

Still haven’t decided what we are doing this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the narth was pretty unscathered for the longest time, we have gone from no cases this summer to 8 in ICU in the region either in Terrace or PG right now

the carps i know at the local bar are working site C one week and CGL the next week

before thing got hotter I drove groceries/ hosuekeeping/ prep cooks chefs, drop em at the airport & these workers could be anywhere in the province in the same day

don't need the money so i quit the expediting & hot shot bidness
    Damn... I know some people that work the ICU in Terrace I should check in haven't chatted with em in a while... hope things get better up there.

Anyone see the vid of buddy driving from AB to revy (yes he has driving rogers pass in video) then someone in his group getting buried at dusk at boulder?

Wonder if it was the same berta sledder that ate at the taco club then went to the brewhouse despite being sick?/town rumours

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Wonder if it was the same berta sledder that ate at the taco club then went to the brewhouse despite being sick?/town rumours

Pretty funny the contrast in the attitude from sled forums from ski forums.
    Sledders are like braap, fuck masks and government.
    Skiers are like wear masks 24/7 or you're gonna kill everyone.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I dont go out much but when i do it doesnt bother me to wear it. Why not? Small inconvenience. Whatev. It is funny though. The people i work with that could benefit most from people wearing masks are the most resistant to wearing them, even after a scare. Truckers aren't the healthiest of people, no surprise. They do think theyre tough though and far too many think theyre brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Pretty funny the contrast in the attitude from sled forums from ski forums.
    Sledders are like braap, fuck masks and government.
    Skiers are like wear masks 24/7 or you're gonna kill everyone.....

Buddy who did a lot of stuff for BC skiing up here used to say " the BC skiers drive toyota's and at end of the season the P-lot is cleaner than it was at the start, the sledders drive big american trucks and the P-lot is full of garbage "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Buddy who did a lot of stuff for BC skiing up here used to say " the BC skiers drive toyota's and at end of the season the P-lot is cleaner than it was at the start, the sledders drive big american trucks and the P-lot is full of garbage "
    Being a sled and snowboard guy I can agree but sledders are cleaning up their act.

yeah parked at the sled lot and we seen the pres of the sled club cleaning up empty oil jugs and timmy Ho containers in their p-lot,

I certainly want to get my preconcieved notions n labels correct SO is it my imagination or do they all like timmy ho coffee ?

them BC skiers are all a buncha latte sippers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yeah parked at the sled lot and we seen the pres of the sled club cleaning up empty oil jugs and timmy Ho containers in their p-lot,

I certainly want to get my preconcieved notions n labels correct SO is it my imagination or do they all like timmy ho coffee ?

them BC skiers are all a buncha latte sippers
    Bertans love their Timmies I do know that. Bro in law had to drive from my place to Timmies every morning to get coffee last summer, even if I made a pot.

That demographic wastes a lot of tax dollars. 14 years working highway maintenance and 90% of the roadside waste is dirty rons and timmys. We're paying to pick up florida man snowbirds trash. I see the local contractor has a full team of roadside pick up now. Good times

I think my January hut trip to Mt Carlyle is most likely a no go now. Minimal refund as well I think. Shit....
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!