Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Because people always want to think it's everyone else who's the problem. It's human nature. It's those damn tourists bringin' it in!
    We don't know where it comes from but we know that people not moving around stops it. This morning at FAR it was like Xmas, lineups like fucking crazy, parking lot 4 full. The majority of the plates in the (full) parking lots were not local/from BC. And yet you say it's blamed on tourism by locals? Statistics would say, numerically, that yes, there is an issue with tourism. Do I personally, care? No. People need to be happy. If you are getting too close and/or not wearing a mask? I care, back the fuck off. Realistically though it matters little. It is all about metrics. Shut the provincial borders (impossible) or force the ski hills to not sell day tickets to tourists (plausible) before these variants more or less shut down our hospitals and force triage. You're 57 and having chest pain? Too bad, we've got a 32 year old who can't breath, move along. 0 ICU beds in Fernie/7 in Cranbrook serving the entire east Koots (Creston/Golden/Fernie.) Beg to differ on triage? ABC

This is not about BC vs AB. This is about local communities being able to look after their own and others. If a new highly virulent strain infects SAR, rescue is down...infects BCEHS, paramedic/ambulance service is down...infects Fire, fire is down...infects EVR hospital...from one call. That is not a stretch. It is a very real possibility.
    Last edited by gearhunter; 01-30-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    We don't know where it comes from but we know that people not moving around stops Covid. Today at FAR in the morning it was like Xmas, lineups like fucking crazy, parking lot 4 full. The majority of the plates in the (full) parking lots were not from BC, but yet you say, we are blaming it on tourism? Fuck off, truly. Statistics would say, numerically, that yes, there is an issue with tourism.
    Agreed that people moving around is a good part of the problem. The point is that it cuts both ways and it seems like everyone wants to point the finger at the other guy without much self-reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Agreed that people moving around is a good part of the problem. The point is that it cuts both ways and it seems like everyone wants to point the finger at the other guy without much self-reflection.
    Yes, people need to take responsibility for their own actions first and foremost, and yes people leaving and returning to small communities are as much if not more of a risk than visitors, but ................ when everyone I know is spending night after night at home not socializing with our close friends, have cancelled multiple trips (and taken the financial hit) we were looking forward to, when we haven’t seen our family in over a year, when we’re diligently masking, and lining up, and Zooming .... it pisses us off when we see the personification of such flagrant disregard for the common good standing in front of us in the supermarket and the lift line. It’s all I can do to talk my fiery redheaded wife down from regular confrontations.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Yes, people need to take responsibility for their own actions first and foremost, and yes people leaving and returning to small communities are as much if not more of a risk than visitors, but ................ when everyone I know is spending night after night at home not socializing with our close friends, have cancelled multiple trips (and taken the financial hit) we were looking forward to, when we haven’t seen our family in over a year, when we’re diligently masking, and lining up, and Zooming .... it pisses us off when we see the personification of such flagrant disregard for the common good standing in front of us in the supermarket and the lift line. It’s all I can do to talk my fiery redheaded wife down from regular confrontations.
    This...Thanks KS.

I hear ya. A friend of mine just took his annual ski trip that I usually join him for, but I passed this year. Just didn't seem right. Seems like lots of people have no qualms about it, though.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-30-2021 at 12:47 PM.

I'm on the south side of the border but that sums up my feelings perfectly in the "destination" town I live in.

We don't know where it comes from but we know that people not moving around stops it. This morning at FAR it was like Xmas, lineups like fucking crazy, parking lot 4 full. The majority of the plates in the (full) parking lots were not local/from BC. And yet you say it's blamed on tourism by locals? Statistics would say, numerically, that yes, there is an issue with tourism. Do I personally, care? No. People need to be happy. If you are getting too close and/or not wearing a mask? I care, back the fuck off. Realistically though it matters little. It is all about metrics. Shut the provincial borders (impossible) or force the ski hills to not sell day tickets to tourists (plausible) before these variants more or less shut down our hospitals and force triage. You're 57 and having chest pain? Too bad, we've got a 32 year old who can't breath, move along. 0 ICU beds in Fernie/7 in Cranbrook serving the entire east Koots (Creston/Golden/Fernie.) Beg to differ on triage? ABC

This is not about BC vs AB. This is about local communities being able to look after their own and others. If a new highly virulent strain infects SAR, rescue is down...infects BCEHS, paramedic/ambulance service is down...infects Fire, fire is down...infects EVR hospital...from one call. That is not a stretch. It is a very real possibility.
    I had the pleasure of being firstish in line in Elk this morning. You have valid points. That being said I was surrounded by restaurant staff talking about the staff parties, roommates with covid, positive tests and other related bullshit. I was flabbergasted. It was like a lesson in what not to be doing right now and even better advertising it.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Fully in agreement with this. Seeing the rules being flaunted up close and in your face all the time pisses locals off. It also weakens the resolve of locals who were on the fence about following the rules. How can we expect them to do what is being asked of them when we are turning a blind eye to visitors? It doesn't matter if visitors are or aren't bringing in the virus. Simply by coming for a visit they may be influencing other people's choices which then can lead to outbreaks. It doesn't help that most resort communities have a significant portion of the population who are very self-centred and entitled - I think it is the nature of the personality that leads to the lifestyle choice they made. Whatever the underlying reason there is no doubt that resort communities are seeing high per capita case numbers.

I've thought more about this and I've changed my tune. I agree tourism into resort areas is the root problem. On the surface it seems like more locals vs. tourists ranting, but I think in this case it's legitimate.

Entire families booking weekend and week long trips from Vancouver to inner BC ski resorts. Mom, Dad, several kids. This is a problem. They aren't staying local and they bring an entire family where strict no-fun is the only solution to not getting or spreading their ZEAL.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

So all you small towners... you haven't left your small town for a year now? Because I'm pretty sure the non-essential travel advisory has been in place for that long.

Honestly the most uncomfortable I've been since about November was going to use the bathroom at the Cafe at KH, wearing a mask, while almost every table was full, and a hot and steamy environment with questionable ventilation while all the people at those tables were maskless. And groups of 8 adults who obviously don't live together, letting their friends skip the line to share the gondi together in obvious defiance of the rules. Don't worry... I won't be back there until maybe the spring if shit settles down or BC gets some actual rules in place.

And people are getting furious at the out of towner who is in your local IGA and wearing a mask?

And someone was talking about the outbreak in Revy that happened in November... does anyone even go to revelstoke in November? That outbreak came from all those tourists... in November?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Havent left town in 2 1/2 years apart from a bike ride in salmon arm this past spring and the spring before that. Small break in my civic duty, but then again, why would i leave?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Yes, I only left Golden for work, as an essential worker, for the last year. That's sweet you won't be coming to Golden til pandemic is over, thanks for you sacrifice.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Yes, I only left Golden for work, as an essential worker, for the last year. That's sweet you won't be coming to Golden til pandemic is over, thanks for you sacrifice.
    I'm actually doing it to keep my family safe from you guys. But you're welcome.

Feels like theres more people at the pass than the hill these days. Some tourists on the weekends that we need to restrict and we good

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    So all you small towners... you haven't left your small town for a year now? Because I'm pretty sure the non-essential travel advisory has been in place for that long.

Honestly the most uncomfortable I've been since about November was going to use the bathroom at the Cafe at KH, wearing a mask, while almost every table was full, and a hot and steamy environment with questionable ventilation while all the people at those tables were maskless. And groups of 8 adults who obviously don't live together, letting their friends skip the line to share the gondi together in obvious defiance of the rules. Don't worry... I won't be back there until maybe the spring if shit settles down or BC gets some actual rules in place.

And people are getting furious at the out of towner who is in your local IGA and wearing a mask?

And someone was talking about the outbreak in Revy that happened in November... does anyone even go to revelstoke in November? That outbreak came from all those tourists... in November?

Nope - haven’t left once. Fucking best thing about Covid - no work travel. I used to have to be in Van just about monthly.

I thank the stars every day for where I live and the choices and circumstances that brought me here.

I traveled to get MRI, see the knee guy and ventured out to see the ambulance chaser for a new will

but otherwise no travel/ stay in the bubble

I even quit going to the craft brew

still life is pretty good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

The advisory against non-essential travel was issued on November 19th. No travel since then. Went for a 2 week within province vacation this summer, when it was permitted. This shit isn’t difficult.

Haven't left Invermere in over a year. Moms is dealing with health issues, haven't seen her. Wife's granny turned 100 in July didn't get to see her and she died couple weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Haven't left Invermere in over a year. Moms is dealing with health issues, haven't seen her. Wife's granny turned 100 in July didn't get to see her and she died couple weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Right. But you don't want to wear a mask.

Allrighty then... good for you guys. I wonder if everyone who hasn't stayed in town will all fess up so we get a representative set of data... not likely.

You've convinced me... I'll honour your wishes... no BC for me.

Let's hope you guys can all summon the same level of energy towards getting your locals to behave so we can all get back to normal.

Pano: sorry to hear about your wife's granny, and your mom... that sucks.

Most of Whistler’s ‘locals’ aren’t local. They are here for the winter they are young and partying is a major reason they came. They aren’t going to stop. I doubt the tourists coming to town to ski are the major issue, except again the ones that are here mainly to party. I doubt Golden, Revelstoke, Nelson has quite that same number of temporary workers, or partiers heading up for the weekend.

In any case, given the sudden explosion in cases, I can’t see how they are going to stop the spread here. Shutting the hill down for a couple of weeks won’t work, then the employees living in packed quarters just have more free time to party. You would have to close the hill for the season, and send everyone home like they did last March. But this time it would have to be ordered by the government because Vail isn’t going to do it unless they have no staff left who can work.
    Last edited by eldereldo; 01-31-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Shorty_J. I am certainly not telling you or anyone else not to come to Fernie, just be smart about it. There are a great number of people who are not following government requests to stay close to home. My feeling is that people need to be happy and skiing can help with that.

Am I abiding by government guidelines? Yes. Like others in this thread I have not seen family and friends for over a year. I haven't even gone to Cranbrook to visit close friends.

If and when it gets so bad that the BC government has to step in and stop people freely moving then yes please stay home.

If you social distance, wear a mask, stay home when feeling any, even mild symptoms then I for the life of me cannot see how you could make it any worse.

The Covid numbers we are seeing in Fernie are due to parties. Lots of parties. Private raves in the bottom of the Royal, house parties, staff parties, end of quarantine parties at the Central. To quote eldereldo...

"Most of Whistler’s ‘locals’ aren’t local. They are here for the winter they are young and partying is a major reason they came. They aren’t going to stop. I doubt the tourists coming to town to ski are the major issue, except again the ones that are here mainly to party."

Where the virus came from matters little at this stage of the game. Resorts of the Canadian Rockies have known that Covid has been rampant for a while among staff and have pretty well denied there were any problems. Basically saying that they didn't want to take away peoples 'freedom" from visiting and that there was nothing to worry about while they had staff who were infected. When that one came out of Power Matts mouth, all I heard was, it's a free for all, come to Fernie. Fuck them. 150 bucks for a pass and they still can't clear alders? Fuck them with a brush saw.

They have/had ski school/FAST/ski patrol amongst other staff members on 2 week quarantines. Have they come out publicly and told staff not to party? Nope. Have they even discussed with anyone the number of staff off due to Covid exposure? No, they have not. Should they? I believe they should. They have done nothing proactive to help and have never really given a shit about the community in my opinion.

Come skiing, just don't do it on the weekends. It's a fucking gong show.
    Last edited by gearhunter; 01-30-2021 at 10:49 PM.

^^^ thanks for that.

Honestly based on what I'm hearing is happening in Fernie and what you're telling me now, I don't think I'd feel safe there. I'll see how things shake up in the next month.

I have my 70 year old mother with COPD living in my house... trust me, I'm careful as fuck.

I have 2 snow checks from last year (that RCR says they will honour all season instead of just Jan 31st) and I'd really like to use them if at all possible. If not I guess I'll offer them up to a local who doesn't have a pass.

Come skiing, just don't do it on the weekends. It's a fucking gong show.
    Moreso than in years past?

Also can we not just agree that tourist travel AND local social gatherings are both against current guidelines and neither should be encouraged?

Also the tourists coming in vs. locals leaving argument seems funny to me....sure locals might head out to Alberta Costcos to stock up on cheap ‘essential’ items, but surely the number of people doing that pales in comparison to the number of tourists flowing into town.

I think youre safe on the hill following guidelines.
    I think its expensive hard to find housing that has these minimum wage kids jammed into any accomodation they can find, and apres parties. I see groups of older visitors ,that should know better, tailgating at the hill after the day. No masks and obviously not roomates. Theyre the demographic helping to bring it to our restaurants.
    I dont go out, show up to the hill late and ride chairs/gondi solo with my mask. Grocery shop every third week with a mask.
    Work is probably my biggest exposure but we've been good with masks, distancing and disenfecting equipment.
    Its a dlippery slope though. Like travelling in avie terrain, the safest method is to limit as much exposure as possible