Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 469
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,436
    The issue in my community, and which is being overlooked in the Provincial messaging, is that transmission within a community only happens once itís arrived and circulating. Remote communities that donít currently have COVID cases, see what has happened in Big White, Whistler, Revelstoke, and Fernie, and are looking for Provincial help to minimize the chances of being next on that ignominious list. We know that when it starts circulating amongst our resort workers, our schools, closes down our only supermarket, and gets into our long term care homes.....weíre screwed. To everyone I know, turning a blind eye to a low level of non essential tourism just to pad a few businesses bottom line isnít worth the risk.

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    502
    I wonder how effective contact tracing is when a visitor from another province has been in contact with a positive case in BC? And vice-versa when someone who visited BC from another province tests positive after returning home. Wouldn't surprise me if contact tracing is a LOT less effective when it involves inter-provincial travel (and maybe also when it involves travel between health districts within a province).

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    The issue in my community, and which is being overlooked in the Provincial messaging, is that transmission within a community only happens once itís arrived and circulating. Remote communities that donít currently have COVID cases, see what has happened in Big White, Whistler, Revelstoke, and Fernie, and are looking for Provincial help to minimize the chances of being next on that ignominious list. We know that when it starts circulating amongst our resort workers, our schools, closes down our only supermarket, and gets into our long term care homes.....weíre screwed. To everyone I know, turning a blind eye to a low level of non essential tourism just to pad a few businesses bottom line isnít worth the risk.
    I'm guessing you do not operate or work in one of the tourism based businesses.




    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    131
    Its interesting how just a year ago even the mention of the country of origin or what could be done to stop the spread from there to here was immediately slapped down as racism. But now its perfectly acceptable to lay the blame on each other here.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Kootenays, BC
    Posts
    148
    Doesnít help when assholes are having end of quarantine parties at the Central Ďhotelí in Fernie. Really smart, get off quarantine because you partied and then have a party
    to celebrate. These young fucks sure are dumb.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    The issue in my community, and which is being overlooked in the Provincial messaging, is that transmission within a community only happens once it’s arrived and circulating. Remote communities that don’t currently have COVID cases, see what has happened in Big White, Whistler, Revelstoke, and Fernie, and are looking for Provincial help to minimize the chances of being next on that ignominious list. We know that when it starts circulating amongst our resort workers, our schools, closes down our only supermarket, and gets into our long term care homes.....we’re screwed. To everyone I know, turning a blind eye to a low level of non essential tourism just to pad a few businesses bottom line isn’t worth the risk.
    Places like Big White, Whistler, Revy and Fernie aren't remote communities. Revy is part of a major transportation corridor. The rest are resort towns and have significant vacation homes and short term visitors from the surrounding communities.

    No community is self-sufficient and able to isolate. There's always external goods and services coming to town and there's always locals who have business elsewhere. It could be medical or education or work that takes locals out of town and when they come back they may bring a new little friend.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    502
    Revelstoke is indeed on a major transportation corridor. And throughout the summer and fall there were hardly any cases of covid in Revelstoke. That suddenly changed in a big way early in the winter. It happened before RMR opened for the season but I would be surprised if there wasn't a link to the arrival of seasonal workers and sledders.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,111
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5891425

    1 doz cases at the fairmont

    Cases per capita in Howe Sound region 2 to 13 times higher than the rest of southwest B.C., BCCDC says
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kootenays
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    I'm guessing you do not operate or work in one of the tourism based businesses.
    Not to speak for kootenayskier - but you guess wrong.

    I also work for a tourism based employer, and I would support enforcing limits on travel. What he says above is our biggest worry in my town. I'd rather see a low level of activity limited to locals then see everything shut down and be out of work because a visitor introduced COVID to our community because they thought that their ski trip was essential. On top of that is my desire to stay healthy.

  10. #385
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,859
    Why is it that itís all BC folk with there arms up in the air? Nobody seems to think itís a news item in Alberta... Banff/jasper/Canmore are all busy with tourists and it doesnít seem to be effecting #ís here....

    Covid isnít going away anytime soon. Time to start adapting to it being around for those of you hiding in a cave...
    Last edited by teamdirt; 01-28-2021 at 02:10 PM.

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    4,474
    Why is the assumption that it come from someone traveling to these small towns and not someone in a small town bringing it home from somewhere else?

    I guess if you have to isolate upon return even if you live in BC then it's a wash.... but there's no way to know how it got there.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Not to speak for kootenayskier - but you guess wrong.

    I also work for a tourism based employer, and I would support enforcing limits on travel. What he says above is our biggest worry in my town. I'd rather see a low level of activity limited to locals then see everything shut down and be out of work because a visitor introduced COVID to our community because they thought that their ski trip was essential. On top of that is my desire to stay healthy.
    So you're ok with being on government subsidies? Have you talked to your employer about it? Guess who is going to have to pay those subsidies back? Your employer and every other small business like me in Canada. You probably won't be getting a raise anytime soon and you may not have a job to go back to unfortunately.
    Be careful of what you ask for. The solution could be worse than the problem.


    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    invermere
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Why is the assumption that it come from someone traveling to these small towns and not someone in a small town bringing it home from somewhere else?

    I guess if you have to isolate upon return even if you live in BC then it's a wash.... but there's no way to know how it got there.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    This is a fair question and I said it earlier the Revy outbreak started with locals travelling and bringing it back.


    Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    502
    Well | didn't notice a total absence of Revelstoke locals traveling during the summer and fall followed by a sudden increase in travel in November (3 cases in the spring, none after that until November...)

  15. #390
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Kootenays, BC
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Well | didn't notice a total absence of Revelstoke locals traveling during the summer and fall followed by a sudden increase in travel in November (3 cases in the spring, none after that until November...)
    Yup, same in Fernie. But Pano-Dude knows where the virus came from so...

  16. #391
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,305
    All it takes is one infected idiot at a party. Doesn't matter if it was a local or tourist. The source isn't the problem - it's the behaviour.

  17. #392
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The source isn't the problem - it's the behaviour.
    Well said.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  18. #393
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,599
    Wish the provinces would just shut it all the fuck down at once. Just do it already so people can start rescheduling and getting refunds/credits on shit.

    But, it'll all happen last minute and we'll get fucked. As is tradition.

  19. #394
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    All it takes is one infected idiot at a party. Doesn't matter if it was a local or tourist. The source isn't the problem - it's the behaviour.

    Totally agree. The focus needs to change to behaviour. This virus is going to be with us for a long time.

  20. #395
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCreekChad View Post
    Totally agree. The focus needs to change to behaviour. This virus is going to be with us for a long time.
    The focus has been on behaviour since the beginning... it's just that it's nearly impossible to police the entire population and a LOT of people are knowingly getting together anyway.

    I know a lot of who I would have considered "smart" people who are doing it regularly.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  21. #396
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    25,111
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ures-1.5892992

    JT sez now is not the time to be flying

    speculate amongst yourselves what that means to skiers ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  22. #397
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...ures-1.5892992

    JT sez now is not the time to be flying

    speculate amongst yourselves what that means to skiers ?
    International closures meant to keep new variants at bay. Read between the lines man it means flying to Whistler and Revy is a go! <fingermoustache.jpg>

  23. #398
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Creekside
    Posts
    1,568
    Guess not, mandatory quarantine at your expense until a Covid test you take when you arrive comes back negative, then at your residence for the rest of 14 days with increased checks. If you come pack positive then you are paying for quarantine until you are negative.

  24. #399
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    2,889
    Too little too late. There have been more than 7 million entries to Canada as of December 17. My brother's neighbour (in Langley BC) has stores in Bellingham and crosses the border daily without issue. Truckers go back and forth without any tests or health checks too.

    Nothing to see here -- move along.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

  25. #400
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    23,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Why is the assumption that it come from someone traveling to these small towns and not someone in a small town bringing it home from somewhere else?
    Because people always want to think it's everyone else who's the problem. It's human nature. It's those damn tourists bringin' it in!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •