Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nney-1.5832682

Here they come as Jason shut pretty much everything down. BC has not done that yet. We are supposed to not travel here in BC. Albertans? Don't think Jason asked that of his electorate. I'll happily stay away from the ski hill. It's a lot easier when you are on quarantine due to your roommates positive Covid test...
    Interesting comment in this article regarding the restrictions:

"But they are necessary to slow the growth in cases, hospitalizations and deaths, he said, citing at-home social gatherings as the biggest single source of viral transmissions."

We have the same restrictions here in Washington for restaurants but, to me, they're counter-productive. Our restaurants, at least those I go to, have done a good job in responding to this crisis. They've spent a lot of money; building outdoor tent coverings, equipping with heaters, spreading tables to limit exposure, mask requirements, etc. in order to be open. Prior to this latest shut down of indoor dining, many had upgraded their HVAC systems with better filtration and more air exchanges. They've really put in the effort to stay open.

Aside from when this first hit and prior to our first shut-down, we haven't had any traceable outbreaks to a restaurant or bar in Spokane that I'm aware of or that has been broadcast. There were a couple of noted cases where upwards of thirty people tested positive from a single location back in May or so but, since that shut-down, when allowed to reopen, I'm not aware of any in these controlled environments. I think the industry has responded well to what's been demanded of them.

Our governor has essentially now shut them down but the result is that, instead of allowing people to patronize establishments where there is something of a controlled environment, people are gathering in private residences and the community spread is worse than it was prior to this latest closure. To me, the restaurants are getting killed when they've done all that has been asked of them and they aren't the major element of this latest surge. I think we'd all be a lot better off if they were allowed to operate within the strict guidelines and people follow the mask/distancing guidelines than pushing people into uncontrolled, unmasked, non-distanced locations to gather. We're killing our economy with no impact on the surge. Doesn't make sense to me.

ETA: Of course, after posting this, I found the article below. I guess I have to admit to my ignorance on the spread at public facilities. Face it, until we're vaccinated in high numbers, we're stuck.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique...h=4c5a2d103353
    Last edited by GoldMember; 12-14-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Got an email from a client today who is from London. Said he and his family are arriving Wednesday and asked if someone could fill his fridge because he will be quantined for a few days.
    This is stupid, our governments are asking residents to not travel yet he can fly from London and set up for Christmas???
    The rich are not feeling the pain like the working class it appears.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I thought of this thread this weekend while driving in Spokane behind a car with Alberta plates. So much for the stay at home order, let alone the closed border?
    Maybe they moved there and haven't changed plates yet?

Or: I know you are allowed to cross the border to visit family. My wife has a friend with a boyfriend in California and she has flown down at least twice to visit him. And she has to isolate for 14 days upon return.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Or: I know you are allowed to cross the border to visit family. My wife has a friend with a boyfriend in California and she has flown down at least twice to visit him. And she has to isolate for 14 days upon return.

Not sure about visiting family. The State has put out a no contact outside immediate household order. Moving here and not changing plates yet is plausible. Don't know but thought it was interesting. Normally, we see all kinds of BC and AB plates, here but lately, it seems out of place.

Big White has two employees positive for covid and 12 contacts in isolation in their employee housing. The positive employees were not in contact with the public.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ting-1.5840232 has audio of an interview with a Big White representative.

Really hoping that it stays a limited outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

ETA: Of course, after posting this, I found the article below. I guess I have to admit to my ignorance on the spread at public facilities. Face it, until we're vaccinated in high numbers, we're stuck.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique...h=4c5a2d103353
    Well, I posted the above and then see this. In New York State, over the past three months, restaurants are shown to contribute 1.43% to Covid transmission whereas household gatherings contribute 75%. Quite the disparity.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/he...8-f80b6f6bd304

60 covid cases confirmed at Big White.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...g-White#319375

Can we blame Alberta

BC's Premier wants to shut down provincial borders. What does that mean for Ski Hills

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Got an email from a client today who is from London. Said he and his family are arriving Wednesday and asked if someone could fill his fridge because he will be quantined for a few days.
    This is stupid, our governments are asking residents to not travel yet he can fly from London and set up for Christmas???

Are they participating in the YYC fast test/quarantine program? Just curious.

I guess I am guilty as I travelled Calgary to Pano for a weekend ski camp, but basically stayed in my own place with the exception of ski days and ordering take out from the Cabin smokehouse. Masked everywhere and working from home, so zero outside contacts. Even my daughter who lives in town can’t come into our house.

Edit to add, my son is in the Canadian Armed Forces, Infantry, stationed in Shilo, Man. He got a new Warrant officer on Friday who said if anyone is caught breaking a Covid rule, there would be very severe repercussions. As a result, he is staying in Man alone over the holidays as technically, visiting a house you are not a resident of is off limits. His Mother is very upset, but understands. Gonna suck for him, but as I told him on a family call on the weekend, he has people from his base spending the holidays assisting a First Nations reserve and he may be the second wave to help. We can’t expect others to carry the weight if we aren’t also willing to do what’s right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post

YYC/Coots rapid test is for AB residents only

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Canadians can fly into the States even to vacation. So some Snowbirds are having their RVs or vehicles shipped down to Florida or AZ by a transport company and then flying down to pick them up to either do an RV park for the winter or live in their sun-belt second home.

Driving down across the border is limited to Canadians visiting family, essential workers or commercial traffic, so Canadian vehicles in northern states are probably in the first two categories.

Edit to add... I just read a few news stories and many Snowbirds are actually having their vehicles or RVs shipped into border states and flying to pick them up and then driving south. Obviously cheaper than shipping all the way to AZ, Fl etc.

^^^ wow... no wonder we cant figure out all rules if there are so many loopholes.

And I can't figure out why anyone would want to be in the raging dumpster fire that is the USA right now... but it takes all kinds, I guess.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

The US is a big country. Most snowbirds go to the same place and meetup with the same people year after year. Most of these winter communities are semi-isolated and warm and sunny. Where would you rather be -- a condo in downtown Vancouver or a little town in Arizona?
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Which is why we skiers are open for bidness.... Because it is a rich white privileged person's sport.

Big White has fired employees as a result of their Covid debacle.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7527127/c...te-ski-resort/

Sounds like the cops have had enough of AB sledders in revy. Ten cars at exit back into town from Boulder. Hopefully nobody is hurt.

"B.C.'s Big White Ski Resort is cancelling all upcoming reservations for people who live outside of the Central Okanagan as it responds to a cluster of COVID-19 cases that includes dozens of people.

Scheduled guests who live outside of the region with bookings between now and Jan. 8, 2021, have received emails from the Kelowna-area ski resort informing them that their reservation cannot be honoured.

"From your address on file, we have noted that you live outside of our local area and we believe your reservation would be in breach of the provincial health order if you were to arrive at Big White Ski Resort and we were to honour your reservation," the email reads.

The message says that Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry asked Big White to review its reservations in response to a cluster of at least 60 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Those affected can ask for a refund or rebook on a later date."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5846767

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post

I guess I am guilty as I travelled Calgary to Pano for a weekend ski camp, but basically stayed in my own place with the exception of ski days and ordering take out from the Cabin smokehouse. Masked everywhere and working from home, so zero outside contacts. Even my daughter who lives in town can’t come into our house.

Edit to add, my son is in the Canadian Armed Forces, Infantry, stationed in Shilo, Man. He got a new Warrant officer on Friday who said if anyone is caught breaking a Covid rule, there would be very severe repercussions. As a result, he is staying in Man alone over the holidays as technically, visiting a house you are not a resident of is off limits. His Mother is very upset, but understands. Gonna suck for him, but as I told him on a family call on the weekend, he has people from his base spending the holidays assisting a First Nations reserve and he may be the second wave to help. We can’t expect others to carry the weight if we aren’t also willing to do what’s right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't know the details.

I don't have issues with people travelling across provinces if they are keeping a low profile but International travel for recreation is difficult for me.

if they are keeping a low profile
    This is the key. I noticed an influx of Man, Sask and Ab plates over the past few days in Golden. The holidays are here......

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    "B.C.'s Big White Ski Resort is cancelling all upcoming reservations for people who live outside of the Central Okanagan as it responds to a cluster of COVID-19 cases that includes dozens of people.

Scheduled guests who live outside of the region with bookings between now and Jan. 8, 2021, have received emails from the Kelowna-area ski resort informing them that their reservation cannot be honoured.

"From your address on file, we have noted that you live outside of our local area and we believe your reservation would be in breach of the provincial health order if you were to arrive at Big White Ski Resort and we were to honour your reservation," the email reads.

The message says that Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry asked Big White to review its reservations in response to a cluster of at least 60 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Those affected can ask for a refund or rebook on a later date."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5846767
    Relying on personal responsibility is absurd. People want to ski, and will rationalize travel to do it. Jurisdictions that take this shit seriously put in road blocks, which at this point seems unnecessary, but the Province allowing resorts (and lodges) to accept bookings from outside the local area is just weak.

Just heard CBC Daybreak South interview Aaron Cooperman of Sol Mountain Lodge. They are cancelling bookings by out of area customers and are getting 'some pushback' from guests, particularly those from Alberta, who point out that the advice on non-essential travel isn't an order. Not a nice position for them to be in, doing what they think is right at the cost of upsetting customers.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Relying on personal responsibility is absurd. People want to ski, and will rationalize travel to do it. Jurisdictions that take this shit seriously put in road blocks, which at this point seems unnecessary, but the Province allowing resorts (and lodges) to accept bookings from outside the local area is just weak.
    This would shut down the resorts and put many people out of work. There is no way Pano could operate on local traffic.

Maybe they should post pictures of the new sanitizing procedure for out of province guests:
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

The Big White announcement is a bit head scratching. Perhaps they were too cavalier with their response to the situation and are getting their hand slapped by PH? But having one resort do this when others are not just means cancelled bookings will book at another resort so big picture makes no difference. Or maybe this is part of the increased enforcement that was recently announced and we'll hear about other resorts doing the same thing?

This would shut down the resorts and put many people out of work. There is no way Pano could operate on local traffic.

Were the ski resorts able to recruit enough staff? Is it viable to operate less lifts/terrain/indoor spaces if it means resorts can survive with just local traffic? A ski season with just the original terrain...