Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    test was negative, but still have to stay in province for 14 days. AND BC is asking for no travel.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    test was negative, but still have to stay in province for 14 days. AND BC is asking for no travel.
    The province may be asking, but I guarantee the town will be busy this weekend and even more so next weekend when the hill opens for the season. You’ll blend right in if you want to come and pick up your bike.

^strange advice for someone being told to sit tight for 14 days. Tongue in cheek maybe?

We appreciate your vigilance. Every case Golden has experienced thus far has come from Alberta. The snow here is okay for early season, nothing epic. Trailheads be bumpin’ with red plates though. Everyone should just stay home for a couple of weeks and clean up their garages, tune their skis, invent something. The snow will get better but the restrictions may not if we keep playing this fast and loose style of I’m going to go wherever I want to go.

It could always be worse......In the words of my 95 year old grandpa stuck in a home in Edmonton “I haven’s sat around this much since WWII. At least no one is dropping bombs on me right now.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    We appreciate your vigilance. Every case Golden has experienced thus far has come from Alberta. The snow here is okay for early season, nothing epic. Trailheads be bumpin’ with red plates though. Everyone should just stay home for a couple of weeks and clean up their garages, tune their skis, invent something. The snow will get better but the restrictions may not if we keep playing this fast and loose style of I’m going to go wherever I want to go.

It could always be worse......In the words of my 95 year old grandpa stuck in a home in Edmonton “I haven’s sat around this much since WWII. At least no one is dropping bombs on me right now.”
    Would be good to have the stats that show this.
    Easier for people to understand why the no travel request is in place.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Would be good to have the stats that show this.
    Easier for people to understand why the no travel request is in place.

I agree completely, but Interior Health does not want to release that info for privacy concerns. They are also shy about listing the number of people in Golden who currently have it due to privacy concerns. It's a small town, we all know who has tested positive.

Here is what the public gets to read:

November 23 Community Update
    1. Friday reported 516, Saturday 713, Sunday 626 and Monday 594 new positives, for a total of 27,407 cases of Covid-19 in British Columbia. 1307 are from Interior Health. 277 people are in hospital and 59 of these are in ICU. There have been additional health care facility outbreaks, now up to 54 in long term care and 6 in acute care, for a current total of 60 affected facilities. There are 7360 active cases and 10,200 people under active public health surveillance. There have been an additional 27 deaths over the last 4 days for a total of 348. 19,069 people have recovered.

2. It has been 2 weeks since the increased restrictions were implemented in Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health. Although there has been some decrease in the cases associated with social gatherings in those areas, cases associated with workplaces and exercise facilities have continued to increase. Hospitalizations continue to rise and cases are increasing across the province. We are now 4 days in to the expanded orders affecting the entire province. Dr. Henry today clarified that there are to be no social gatherings, indoors or outdoors, anywhere in the province for the next 2 weeks. There are to be no events, and this includes those in hotels, restaurants, bars movie theatres and cinemas.

3. School exposures continue. In our region there are now 8 schools in Kelowna, 1 in Vernon, 1 in Williams Lake, 1 in Kimberley, and 1 in Cranbrook that have reported exposures. Although schools are excluded from the provincial order for mandatory masking, the BCTF has decided to promote their use is asking for parents’ help to create a culture of mask wearing in schools.

4. Alberta continues to struggle, with 1549 cases reported today for a total of 13,166 active cases of Covid-19. They had more new and active cases than Ontario, which has about 3X the population of Alberta. There are 328 people in hospital, 62 in ICU. There were an additional 5 deaths. The other challenge for Alberta is that the number of cases has overwhelmed their ability to contact trace. There are increasing backlogs and lags, to the point where if you are positive and there has been a 10 day delay in contact tracing they won’t be doing it at all. They are still notifying all positive cases of their test results. Dr. Hinshaw met with government today to discuss the possibility of further restrictions. The outcome of these talks will be announced tomorrow.

5. The Atlantic bubble, which allowed unrestricted travel between the 4 Atlantic provinces, has burst. With increasing case numbers, PEI and Newfoundland have withdrawn and will revert to a mandatory 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the province.

6. As many in the community are aware, we continue to have positive Covid cases in Golden. Since the beginning of the pandemic there have been incidents where residents have been exposed out of community and brought the virus home, or exposed by visitors to the community. So far we have successfully isolated and contained these cases. People have asked why we do not publicize exact case counts for the local community. There are several reasons. The most important is that patient confidentiality is a real thing and we take it very seriously. Under no circumstances would we do anything to inadvertently identify an individual who is affected. Your health information is private and you are the only one who can choose to share it. The second is that we don’t receive exact case counts from public health. The only way we know if you are positive is if we are the doctor that receives your test result. Regardless of the exact numbers, the virus will continue to enter our community until the pandemic is under control. We need to continue to do everything we can to contain these cases and not become one of the clusters Dr. Henry announces on the daily update.

7. Some people contract the coronavirus by taking stupid risks and refusing to take precautions. Some contract the virus by being careless. However most people catch it by being exposed to someone who doesn’t even know they have it. Increasing evidence shows that people are infectious for several days before they exhibit any symptoms. Nobody spreads this virus on purpose and nobody catches it on purpose. That is why taking precautions is so important. Wearing your mask protects you and protects us. Washing your hands protects you and protects us. Physical distancing protects you and protects us. We need to use all the tools we have and focus on doing the most we can, not the least we can, to help each other through these difficult times.
    The Physicians of Golden
    Last edited by goldenshowers; 11-27-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spacing was needed

Its only 3 hrs to cow-town, we used to go down and ski Rogers/KH/revy we would stay with a buddy who worked in Calgary so i would be very certain people shop and work in Alberta

Kinney and Shandro running Alberta is kinda like having Trump run America
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How did Revy opening go?

Goldenshowers, that was really well said. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    I always thought Eastern BC was Alberta friendly... especially since they are on 'Alberta' time lol!
    Wife and I loaded up and came out last Saturday. We had a big discussion Sat AM as wife really was conflicted. She also suffers from anxiety, which impedes logic. I worked from Pano cabin all week. We basically planned no going into town or stores. I ran out of scotch and bourbon and beer. Wife told me cannot even go into the tuck shop here to get booze. I. Mean, what’s a guy to do.

I am finding a lot of other booze in the cabinet for my cocktail in the evening, but since most was bought by teenagers learning to drink over the years, a bunch is pretty atrocious. Tho spiced rum can be tolerable on the rocks....

Anyways, we have walked the dogs around our place, no close contact, not gone even into the village. Head home Sunday and back up following weekend.

Will be the same self contained drill. With two cases of wine and lots of scotch, bourbon and beer in tow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    How did Revy opening go?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	village.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	350117

I was going to give it a miss but when I saw that there was a tiny fraction of the usual opening day horde changed my mind. Got there 9:30, no line up, and had a gondola to myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523a.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	350118

Short lines for the chairs and again no problem loading with physical distancing. People being good with face covering. Very nice to have an opening day where everything isn't skied out the instant it opens.

That's the good news. The bad news is another 7 cases today. Average age in the low 30s (hardly a surprise). Hope that there aren't any parties tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Wife and I loaded up and came out last Saturday. We had a big discussion Sat AM as wife really was conflicted. She also suffers from anxiety, which impedes logic. I worked from Pano cabin all week. We basically planned no going into town or stores. I ran out of scotch and bourbon and beer. Wife told me cannot even go into the tuck shop here to get booze. I. Mean, what’s a guy to do.

I am finding a lot of other booze in the cabinet for my cocktail in the evening, but since most was bought by teenagers learning to drink over the years, a bunch is pretty atrocious. Tho spiced rum can be tolerable on the rocks....

Anyways, we have walked the dogs around our place, no close contact, not gone even into the village. Head home Sunday and back up following weekend.

Will be the same self contained drill. With two cases of wine and lots of scotch, bourbon and beer in tow.

I can drop off supplies if you go dry

basic blizzard 10. I dont like fat biking, but I prefer it to not skiing at all.
    Put a dropper post on it and decide it's fun to go slow (which it is in the winter) and you might end up liking it.

I bought a bigfoot 3 because I wasn't sure if I'd like it but I really do and other than the frame, everything else has been upgraded.

You would likely destroy me but I'd be up for a ride this winter if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

More on topic... I think we should just try to do what being asked of us... at least for now and even if it doesn't make total sense to us.

A friend of mine has a place in invermere and his parents have been there for weeks but they're going back to Edmonton because it's kind of wild west in invermere... very little mask wearing and public demonstrations of conscientious objection to masks. They feel safer in Edmonton with it's high case count but mandatory mask policy.

I suspect there would be both militant support and anger at out of towners, and you'd be rolling the dice as to which one you would encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    More on topic... I think we should just try to do what being asked of us... at least for now and even if it doesn't make total sense to us.

A friend of mine has a place in invermere and his parents have been there for weeks but they're going back to Edmonton because it's kind of wild west in invermere... very little mask wearing and public demonstrations of conscientious objection to masks. They feel safer in Edmonton with it's high case count but mandatory mask policy.

I suspect there would be both militant support and anger at out of towners, and you'd be rolling the dice as to which one you would encounter.

Wild west? That's pretty funny, Golden yes, Invermere not so much.
    Majority of people are wearing masks here.
    No new precipitation since last week and nothing forecasted for at least a week. Crazy winds last night, and warm.

[QUOTE=Shorty_J;6148012]More on topic... I think we should just try to do what being asked of us... at least for now and even if it doesn't make total sense to us.

Just curious and not being argumentative but I am just wondering what doesn't make total sense? I ask this because I am wondering what the provincial or local health authority messaging is missing.

No new precipitation since last week and nothing forecasted for at least a week. Crazy winds last night, and warm.

Yeah, while locked at the house this week, a few weeks ago I had been to the Sobey’s, Valley Foods, Cdn Tire, liquor store downtown, even popped into the Artym gallery. This was before the latest restrictions. About 70% mask wearers, maybe a little lower at the liquor store. I don’t recall any of the cashiers wearing masks, but that may be dementia creeping in. But most behind screens. At the Artym, none of the staff had masks, but asked if I would prefer them to wear. I took mine off at that point but we are 7 to8 feet apart as we chatted. I didn’t see anyone trying to make a point. Mask or not, just people doing what people do.

Using Tapatalk

I can drop off supplies if you go dry

LOL, thanks, will let you know!

Using Tapatalk

Yeah, while locked at the house this week, a few weeks ago I had been to the Sobey’s, Valley Foods, Cdn Tire, liquor store downtown, even popped into the Artym gallery. This was before the latest restrictions. About 70% mask wearers, maybe a little lower at the liquor store. I don’t recall any of the cashiers wearing masks, but that may be dementia creeping in. But most behind screens. At the Artym, none of the staff had masks, but asked if I would prefer them to wear. I took mine off at that point but we are 7 to8 feet apart as we chatted. I didn’t see anyone trying to make a point. Mask or not, just people doing what people do.

the no mask no service rule has been in effect for one week a few people have been dick heads about it, there was a dumbass-whacko-religious-nutjob arrested locally, i have seen a worksafe BC guy checking out businesses so anybody who thinks they can run under the radar is fooling themselves

I have been hitting the craft brew since they opened back up but i am gona back back away from that ... too many positive covid cases happening
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

why is Golden the wild west and not invermere? Seems like almost everyone is masked up at OW and IGA. Also who do you insure your sled with? sent you a PM regarding this.

I'm just reporting what they saw... and that they feel safer in Edmonton for some reason.

70% is considered good?

In calgary I occasionally see maybe 1 person not wearing one here or there... I'd say we're at about 95% compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    why is Golden the wild west and not invermere? Seems like almost everyone is masked up at OW and IGA. Also who do you insure your sled with? sent you a PM regarding this.
    Was being sarcastic, I like to give my buddies in Golden a poke every now and then.

I get insurance through Capri in Kelowna, they work with BC snowmobile association.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the no mask no service rule has been in effect for one week a few people have been dick heads about it, there was a dumbass-whacko-religious-nutjob arrested locally, i have seen a worksafe BC guy checking out businesses so anybody who thinks they can run under the radar is fooling themselves

I have been hitting the craft brew since they opened back up but i am gona back back away from that ... too many positive covid cases happening
    These personal freedoms knuckle heads just don't get that personal freedoms work both ways. People have the right to refuse to serve them. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    70% is considered good?

In calgary I occasionally see maybe 1 person not wearing one here or there... I'd say we're at about 95% compliance.

I don’t think I gave a qualitative judgement. Use what , in memory I saw. As I stated, we stayed at the cabin this last week, so is likely different now.

Agreed, Calgary is higher compliance. But I haven’t seen Invermere since 2 weeks ago.

I’ll be driving out tomorrow midday, back in 7 days, stay for week. If allowed, I will have perspective then.

Damn, tho I love being here.

Using Tapatalk