Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    spreading their sickness around....
    Are these mask-wearing sick people or maskless sick people?

Time to change the thread title from 'wants to' to 'won't'?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-ban-1.5883246

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    HEy what did Terrace do to you?
    He's mad about my post in the BV backcountry ski forum 🤗

Or people could just stay the fuck home when they and or their kids are sick instead of continuing on with normal life and spreading their sickness around....
    perhaps people need to reevaluate where they live if they feel the need to travel to ski during a pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    perhaps people need to reevaluate where they live if they feel the need to travel to ski during a pandemic?
    People generally need to live where they work. Yes certain people can work wherever but even for service jobs there are only so many in any particular area based on population. So to follow that reasoning if one was smart and ambitious lets say a cancer researcher or rocket scientist one shouldn't be a skier. Then should anyone travel to ski? Then the only ones skiing at western resorts would be locals. But then by that reasoning there should /would not be resorts greater than 1 hour from any major population centre. So Whitetooth would exist but KH wouldn't.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Time to change the thread title from 'wants to' to 'won't'?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-ban-1.5883246
    You mean can't

It's all politics at the end of the day, coming from the guy that ran an election mid pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    I agree with this logic in general. It's a big reason why I moved from Edmonton to Invermere.
    Want to ski lots move to the mountains.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Edmonton, shudder, well you did your time in purgatory. Hope you find Heaven soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Edmonton, shudder, well you did your time in purgatory. Hope you find Heaven soon.
    QFT, I spent ages 0 to 10 there. Glad the parents followed me to Drumheller
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Edmonton is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there...

I agree with this logic in general. It's a big reason why I moved from Edmonton to Invermere.
    Want to ski lots move to the mountains.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    For others who need to take care of their parents, and/or have a spouse with a career that can't be relocated, it's a tad bit messier.

Current plan is to retire at 56 and move wherever at that time. In the meantime, airplanes.

Good idea. I'm thinking I continue skiing and yoloing until 40, I get serious in my 40s and retire at 55. That way I really don't miss out on much.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So Trudeau wants everyone to cancel their spring break plans...

While the prime minister didn't issue any formal updates to Canada's travel rules, he did tell everyone to cancel any trips abroad they may have planned and even discouraged domestic travel.
    Okay, so fine. I'm down for that, buuuuuttt, we're gonna need country-wide stay-at-home-orders for this so people can actually, you know, cancel shit without losing hundreds (thousands?) of dollars and actually get some credits or cash back on insurance claims. If all they're going to do is sternly suggest things, it won't accomplish jack shit. If you just went ahead and booked something knowing that COVID is still hanging around then I don't really have any sympathy, but a large portion of these booked trips are done because airline, accommodation, and things like lift ticket credits are due to expire. Travelling now is kind of a selfish dick move, but it's not like anyone who has any actual power is really trying to make it easy for people to alter their plans here.

How's the new saying go again? "Blaming individuals makes it easy to ignore systemic issues."

^^^ so true.

But he's also got to bail out the airline industry if he does that and is for some reason, adamantly rejecting that idea unless, among other things, the airlines give refunds for cancelled trips even if the person didn't pay for refundable tickets.

The airlines shouldn't have to pay for these cancellations if they didn't charge for that option, and the only way they could afford to pay that is if the government gave them even more money than the bailout they're asking for.

If he sticks with this track we'll have no canadian airlines.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Sounds like BC is hell bent on closing their provincial borders, I'm betting they will demand 14 day quarantines for all out of province guests (like Manitoba just did).

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    Sounds like BC is hell bent on closing their provincial borders, I'm betting they will demand 14 day quarantines for all out of province guests (like Manitoba just did).
    except they can't as of the Monday Jan 25th legal announcement that closing borders goes gains the Charter
    in the meantime less than 30 cars in the Fernie parking lot this AM.....
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    except they can't as of the Monday Jan 25th legal announcement that closing borders goes gains the Charter
    in the meantime less than 30 cars in the Fernie parking lot this AM.....
    That was just like one lawyer's opinion man.

Hire another lawyer and tell him or her that you want a different opinion.

...or go with the Manitoba - sure you can come in but you can't leave your hotel for 14 days- plan.

....or you just shut down the things drawing people here. Which would really, really suck.

Other provinces can and have been requiring 14 day quarantine to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    I didn’t get that impression from John Horgan’s press conference in the last hour. He talked about all these road access points to BC and how it would be a challenge to enforce. I don’t see many access points to the rest of the country on a map but I’m sure they’ve done their homework.

Also the deputy PM was on the radio yesterday and said the feds would support restrictions provinces want to impose on interprovincial travel.

It’s all a lot to keep up with. I’m just going to keep skiing in the nearby hills

Here we go again...Restaurants closed. Salvation Army closed, etc. Due to parties and social gatherings...Come to Fernie and pickup Covid and take it back home...

https://www.trailtimes.ca/news/ferni...terior-health/

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    Here we go again...Restaurants closed. Salvation Army closed, etc. Due to parties and social gatherings...Come to Fernie and pickup Covid and take it back home...

“Interior Health has informed me that currently the data suggests our numbers are actually based on community transmission, and not inter provincial travel. I know this is not what people want to hear, but community transmission right now is our largest threat,” said Qualizza.

She said that while B.C. Premier John Horgan has ruled out restrictions on inter-provincial travel, “we need to start talking non-essential travel.

Huh? You're admitting it's locals gathering that are causing the numbers but let's focus on traveling?

BC has had restaurants open during the entire second wave... maybe focus on the thing that's actually the known problem?

Not directed at you, gearhunter... just frustration with politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    “Interior Health has informed me that currently the data suggests our numbers are actually based on community transmission, and not inter provincial travel. I know this is not what people want to hear, but community transmission right now is our largest threat,” said Qualizza.

She said that while B.C. Premier John Horgan has ruled out restrictions on inter-provincial travel, “we need to start talking non-essential travel.

Huh? You're admitting it's locals gathering that are causing the numbers but let's focus on traveling?

BC has had restaurants open during the entire second wave... maybe focus on the thing that's actually the known problem?

Not directed at you, gearhunter... just frustration with politicians.

Horgan is not quite wrong though. Just because the outbreaks are caused by local transmission doesn't mean the traveler cant/won't be exposed and bring it back to their bubble/community. It is a 2-way street. He even emphasized that its not the recreational activity that is the problem, but the social gatherings happening afterwards that are the issue. And we can't even blame the aussies this year!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Not surprising, My mate was telling me The Royal hosted an underground rave. I was going to go Fernie for a month as I am working from home in Vancouver and still have a lot of mates there from doing a season a few years ago. Obviously cancelled the trip. Its not only inter province travellers that are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Horgan is not quite wrong though. Just because the outbreaks are caused by local transmission doesn't mean the traveler cant/won't be exposed and bring it back to their bubble/community. It is a 2-way street. He even emphasized that its not the recreational activity that is the problem, but the social gatherings happening afterwards that are the issue. And we can't even blame the aussies this year!
    I hear what you're saying but it seems the more prudent move would be to address the larger sources of transmission first.

Even if it's not just cross provincial border travel that is frowned upon, that's how it's being framed and it's just pitting provinces against each other.

I am not getting that impression so much, but I can appreciate the frustration with any measures being discussed to try and slow this virus. Talking with my wife at dinner, and people are just so tired with this marathon that is probably only half over. There's been so much dickering trying to limit the economic impact. Most measures at limiting transmission due to travel have been piecemeal such that none of it has been very effective, or enforcement has been such that those who follow the rules are going under, while some of their competitors are ignoring the orders and conducting business as usual and making bank. All it has done has rubbed the nerves raw on people already exhausted with the pandemic, let alone those that don't believe in the pandemic in the first place or think they might be personally immune to its effects. So much about the options available to slow the spread is counter to what we've allowed large parts of our culture to become. Entitled, impatient, and inconsiderate.

Hearing about IOC saying that the games will happen, despite Japan being in lockdown, and the reporter asking Horgan if our athletes will be able to jump the cue and get vaccinated so they can train and attend. I chuckled when he said if those athletes are over 65 and/or are providing care for the elderly or at risk, the yes they would. But if they are young and healthy, they will get vaccinated along with the rest of their age group sometime during the upcoming summer. Guess we'll see how that goes over.