Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lange XT3 140

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Did you try the xt3 130 in the 100 last?
    I was told, perhaps erroneously, that they are the same width and the liner is the difference. Very reputable bootfitter.

Coming from the ZB plug, the XT 140 is actually not super easy to get on/off. The plastic is WAY less stiff, but that rubber walk mode interferes with the liner sliding down the spine. (I always do on the foot and then slide it into the boot approach, only way I can get a plug boot on).

Also, I skied mine with a powerwrap plug liner.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Any comparison fit wise from these to the current Cochise 130?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I was told, perhaps erroneously, that they are the same width and the liner is the difference. Very reputable bootfitter.
    While this does happen (Tecnica Mach Sport HV and EHV come to mind) I seriously doubt it is the case with the two Lange XT3 boots.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    They are a pain in the ass to put on and take off, more so than any other boots I've had.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You clearly haven't had a Zero G Tour Pro or a Hawx Ultra XTD (the primary competition), the XT3 is a piece of cake after a few years with those.
    The XT3 liners are just so grippy which is what makes them so difficult to get on/off. I have a much easier time with different liners...and to GregL's point, I actually have an easier time getting my foot in/out of the ZeroG with XT3 140 liner than I do the XT3 140 with same liner.

If you're looking for a boot that skis better than the zero g or lange and it's easy to get in,

Dynafit hoji free

And it walks better. The closest boot to an alpine one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If you're looking for a boot that skis better than the zero g or lange and it's easy to get in,

Dynafit hoji free

And it walks better. The closest boot to an alpine one.
    Speaking from my own personal experience as the Imelda Marcos of ski boots I have to say that I'm skeptical of any such claim of skiing 'the most' like an alpine boot when it's made of Grilamid (or Pebax, or anything that isn't PU).

That said I wouldn't mind trying a pair, even after fighting with a pair of Vulcans and their Spock heel death pinch for a few years. I went from Garmins (soft) to Maestrales (a big box) to the 2nd gen XT (horrible) then to the Vulcan (best of their generation) then a brief stint with the Freetour (not as bad as the XT but not great) to the Hawx XTD 130 (capable and the best until ...) and now to the Lange XT3 140. All of them except the XT3's skied 'dead' and had the same commonality - they're not PU.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Well ok, not pu, i only used then in the bc, good and bad snow, they were great.
    Probably not great in bumps though

as posted in the 2022 thread: I have confirmation that Lange XT3 Pro Tour in 26.5 and 27.5 will be available here in Euroland from late February/early March. I do not know if any other sizes are available (I need 25.5). I have no idea if / what sizes will be available in 'Murica.

I had my grubby large hands on a pair of the pro tours today (size 27.5). AFAIK that's the most common size and therefore what they always seem to make first. They are strikingly lightweight, but was surprised to see the exact same walk mechanism as the XT3's. I thought for sure they would have retooled and rethought that (!?). Anyway, they are Grilamid but perhaps with just an ever so slight chance of not sucking so badly as they apparently use the dual core technology. That said Grilamid + Grilamid still equals Grilamid ... but I continue to hold out hope for the holy grail.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    as posted in the 2022 thread: I have confirmation that Lange XT3 Pro Tour in 26.5 and 27.5 will be available here in Euroland from late February/early March. I do not know if any other sizes are available (I need 25.5). I have no idea if / what sizes will be available in 'Murica.
    Wonderful. I’ll find them for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    I had my grubby large hands on a pair of the pro tours today (size 27.5). AFAIK that's the most common size and therefore what they always seem to make first. They are strikingly lightweight, but was surprised to see the exact same walk mechanism as the XT3's. I thought for sure they would have retooled and rethought that (!?). Anyway, they are Grilamid but perhaps with just an ever so slight chance of not sucking so badly as they apparently use the dual core technology. That said Grilamid + Grilamid still equals Grilamid ... but I continue to hold out hope for the holy grail.
    What’s the last width on these?

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    You didn't happen to bring a scale along, did you?

Would be nice to get a real world weight. Boot manufacturers typically make every men's boot in 26.5 first, and use that as their sample, then do 27.5 soon after, though lots of Dalbello samples lately have been 27.5. Previous iteration of the XT Free was also Dual Core Grilamid - didn't exactly suck, but the XT3 skis better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mdv_2122_2062.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	362130

The last width is 99mm. The claimed weight is 1250grams 26.5. Your results may vary.

I have not weighed or skied my 27.5 yet, but they are noticeably lighter and softer than the XT3 Pro Model LV. The BSL is the same 313mm as the XT3 matching the plugs but shorter than the retail RS/RX boots at 316mm.

I haven't skied them yet, but at first glance they should tour quite well and ski okay. The XT3 tours okay but skis surprisingly well, albeit with more power than nuance compared to a real alpine boot.

Most of the boots in my quiver are brand L. There is a clear hierarchy, the ZB plug skis the best, but overpowers lesser skis and is a race boot. The Pink Ones, besides being cool, are very well suited to daily life and ski great, but don't drive a race ski as well.

The XT3 140 skis really well for what it is, but lacks subtlety. The Tour Pro will undoubtedly slot in predictably in comfort and performance.

Every generation of side country and descent oriented AT boots gets better, but there is a major drop in performance when it comes to driving frontside carving skis.

I will try to ski in a the XT3 Pro Tour this week and am sure they will be quite good for what they are, but nothing more. Will report more once I have actually used them, right now they are basking on the display shelf creating what I believe you kids call, stoke.

jummo

^^I'm jealous of that boot quiver. After skiing the ZB as my everyday inbounds boot for like 5 years, my feet can't take it any more. I guess feet just get wider with age (32 now). Even last year, I could do a full day in the ZB, with reasonably long hikes (King at Crystal, etc). Now, I'm in pain after a few runs. Still chasing that level of performance, but in a more relaxed fit.

I think strong skiers with narrower feet who prefer a fairly upright stance would be extremely happy with the ZB and the XT3 as a two-boot quiver, with maybe a 1 kg boot thrown in, if they're into fast & light.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^I'm jealous of that boot quiver. After skiing the ZB as my everyday inbounds boot for like 5 years, my feet can't take it any more. I guess feet just get wider with age (32 now). Even last year, I could do a full day in the ZB, with reasonably long hikes (King at Crystal, etc). Now, I'm in pain after a few runs. Still chasing that level of performance, but in a more relaxed fit.

I think strong skiers with narrower feet who prefer a fairly upright stance would be extremely happy with the ZB and the XT3 as a two-boot quiver, with maybe a 1 kg boot thrown in, if they're into fast & light.
    When a race boot that used to fit starts to hurts, it is liner replacement time. If you have had the boot five seasons, the liner is undoubtedly shot.
    Having a bunch of boots sounds cool until you are at the lift and realize the skis aren't set to those boots.
    Not that that happens to me, of course.

jummo

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Having a bunch of boots sounds cool until you are at the lift and realize the skis aren't set to those boots.
    Used to be a no-brainer with Lange - three pairs of various 26.5 LV boots, all the bindings were set to 306mm. Then they threw the 303mm XT3 into the mix. They do, however, work with my touring setups set for a Zero G Tour Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Used to be a no-brainer with Lange - three pairs of various 26.5 LV boots, all the bindings were set to 306mm.
    Unless of course you made the ill-fated decision to put Sally Sth’s on every ski in the family quiver before everyone had multiple boots in which case you’re definitely going die if you don’t adjust the toes as well since even the same brand, same size, same last, same BSL often has different enough toes to affect binding adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Not that that happens to me, of course.
    That’s why I was so pissed that they went to 313mm bsl.
    I can click into any of my skis with either my RS/ZB hybrid or my XT Free (din soles).
    If I go to XT3s I’ll need to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That’s why I was so pissed that they went to 313mm bsl.
    I can click into any of my skis with either my RS/ZB hybrid or my XT Free (din soles).
    If I go to XT3s I’ll need to adjust.
    Hehe I’m in the new style plugs so 293mm and I’m so happy the XT3 is 293mm too

For you guys skiing plug zb and xt3 140. How good is the fit and how well do the xt3 140s ski? I’ve been skiing Doberman plugs forever. But they’re getting hard for me to source at a decent price. Tried on the 92 last zb, which I can get for super cheap and they’ll work with very minimal punching. Roomier toe box than the Doberman and just need metatarsal punch. I’ve struggled to ever find a touring boot that didn’t fit like a hotdog in a hallway and subsequently ski like shit. Maybe the xt3 140 will work? ROM and weight mean almost nothing to me. Just fit and ski worthiness of the boot.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    For you guys skiing plug zb and xt3 140. How good is the fit and how well do the xt3 140s ski? I’ve been skiing Doberman plugs forever. But they’re getting hard for me to source at a decent price. Tried on the 92 last zb, which I can get for super cheap and they’ll work with very minimal punching. Roomier toe box than the Doberman and just need metatarsal punch. I’ve struggled to ever find a touring boot that didn’t fit like a hotdog in a hallway and subsequently ski like shit. Maybe the xt3 140 will work? ROM and weight mean almost nothing to me. Just fit and ski worthiness of the boot.

Doubt you'd be happy in the XT3 140s. If you're skiing plug boots, and dobermans no less, you'll be pretty hard pressed for any touring boot getting close to that.

Closest plug boot I've been in is the OG Salomon ghost/falcon shell. Can say that the xt3 140 isn't there. It is a good crossover boot though.

^^^

I know they won’t ski close to an actual plug. Would never ski inbounds. Just wondering if they’re a boot that can tour and doesn’t totally suck in regards to both fit and ski feel? Currently in Salomon MTN lab with is crammed with all sorts of passing in the heel ankle to make them skiable. But can feel the forefoot of the boot expand when I flex into them really hard. Also have scarpa rs130. That fucker is narrower than a Doberman plug in the toe and bigger than a five gallon bucket in the heel ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

I know they won’t ski close to an actual plug. Would never ski inbounds. Just wondering if they’re a boot that can tour and doesn’t totally suck in regards to both fit and ski feel? Currently in Salomon MTN lab with is crammed with all sorts of passing in the heel ankle to make them skiable. But can feel the forefoot of the boot expand when I flex into them really hard. Also have scarpa rs130. That fucker is narrower than a Doberman plug in the toe and bigger than a five gallon bucket in the heel ankle.
    I ski a ZB, but with grinding for width from the styloid forward along with a small 1st met punch.

The xt3 fits me without any punching for width, but the heel pocket is significantly wider than the ZB. They fit me okay and for sure a hell of a lot better than the MTN lab which feels like a bucket in the heel in comparison.
    They do bow out a bit which is annoying, but I am tall with a mini foot and good ankle range so I can do that to most boots.

Definitely worth a try, btw I also like how the zero g fits me. The hoji pro could've been cool, but the heel pocket is huge.

You ski a dobie 150 or 130?

Anyone ski the xt3 140 and the nordica promachine 130, and can comment on downhill performance for a 200 pounder?

Lange XT3 140

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I ski a ZB, but with grinding for width from the styloid forward along with a small 1st met punch.

The xt3 fits me without any punching for width, but the heel pocket is significantly wider than the ZB. They fit me okay and for sure a hell of a lot better than the MTN lab which feels like a bucket in the heel in comparison.
    They do bow out a bit which is annoying, but I am tall with a mini foot and good ankle range so I can do that to most boots.

Definitely worth a try, btw I also like how the zero g fits me. The hoji pro could've been cool, but the heel pocket is huge.

You ski a dobie 150 or 130?
    Currently in 160 tuned down to a 140. But I’ve skied 130 and 150 (tuned down). I must have bought up and used all the 150/160 flex boots. I used to be able to buy them for peanuts, but the supply has gone dry. Bought 2 pairs of the civilian Doberman for a song, thinking maybe a more comfort boot might be nice. Skied 2 days, felt like a drunk beater. ZB seems like it’ll work out well and I’ve got a great deal on them. I’m down to the zero g and the xt3, or if I can find an old tlt5 to build a Frankenboot out of. Worried the zero g is too light. Hard to try boots on right now due to COVID and the fact I feel bad going in somewhere right now knowing I won’t buy in a shop. Used to use the backcountry brick and mortar store in slc for such window shopping but they’re not allowing people in.