Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Lange XT3 140

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Cochise more space in every direction and softer flexing forward
    Same question here, but more asking the 100m XT3 130 last vs the Cochise 130. Hows the instep and ankle volume compare between the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Same question here, but more asking the 100m XT3 130 last vs the Cochise 130. Hows the instep and ankle volume compare between the 2?

even more space then the 97 last. Cochise is higher instep and more volume in ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    even more space then the 97 last. Cochise is higher instep and more volume in ankle.
    So Cochise is higher volume still in the instep vs the XT3 100? Looks like I have to stick with that then since my instep fit is already tenuous in the Cochise unless I use a wrap liner. Thanks !

Have both the XT3 130 (actually with 140 parts) MV and the new Cochise. The Cochise is l definitely roomier throughout, especially instep. I’m using the same Pro Wrap liner in both that I had a snug fit on the Lange but after remolding for the Cochise is too roomy.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Have both the XT3 130 (actually with 140 parts) MV and the new Cochise. The Cochise is l definitely roomier throughout, especially instep. I’m using the same Pro Wrap liner in both that I had a snug fit on the Lange but after remolding for the Cochise is too roomy.
    Great info , thanks. I have a Prowrap in the old Cochise myself, and the instep fit has been great. Wouldn't want to go any tighter there though.

After trying on a few boots yesterday, I've crossed the cochise 130 off the list and the XT3 140 is likely my next boot if I actually pull the trigger. The Atomic Hawx still feel like they fit best, but that's what I'm currently on and they fold up on me too easily when I'm driving bigger skis (i.e. ON3P BGs) inbounds, hence looking for an 'inbounds' hybrid boot like the cochise or XT3. I tried both the XT3 130 (100m last) and XT3 140 and liked the shop fit of the 140 a lot better surprisingly. I'm hoping being a ~210lbs w/o gear relative charger means the 140 won't be overly stiff and lifeless though.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    After trying on a few boots yesterday, I've crossed the cochise 130 off the list and the XT3 140 is likely my next boot if I actually pull the trigger. The Atomic Hawx still feel like they fit best, but that's what I'm currently on and they fold up on me too easily when I'm driving bigger skis (i.e. ON3P BGs) inbounds, hence looking for an 'inbounds' hybrid boot like the cochise or XT3. I tried both the XT3 130 (100m last) and XT3 140 and liked the shop fit of the 140 a lot better surprisingly. I'm hoping being a ~210lbs w/o gear relative charger means the 140 won't be overly stiff and lifeless though.
    As much as I like my xt3 for travel and booting out of the resort, I still rely on the rx130 for inbounds ripping in variable/firm conditions. For a big dude skiing fast, nothing compares to a rigid boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    As much as I like my xt3 for travel and booting out of the resort, I still rely on the rx130 for inbounds ripping in variable/firm conditions. For a big dude skiing fast, nothing compares to a rigid boot.
    Agreed. I had the Hawx 130, but got rid of it for the XT140 and never looked back. The XT130/140 is the closest thing to the holy grail of an Alpine feeling AT boot I've had, but it's still no RX130. That said bindings make a big difference too.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    Agreed. I had the Hawx 130, but got rid of it for the XT140 and never looked back. The XT130/140 is the closest thing to the holy grail of an Alpine feeling AT boot I've had, but it's still no RX130. That said bindings make a big difference too.

also agree. I love my xt3 for travel and skiing powder, but I’m in my Pink Panther other wise.

So maybe I should just go for the inbounds version of the hawx since that fits my foot so well?

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    So maybe I should just go for the inbounds version of the hawx since that fits my foot so well?

if the boot fits, wear it.

i think it’s stupid to buy something and then have to put a million hours into making it fit/work right. 98% of people should be able to find a boot that fits decently comfortable and work from there. It would be way easier if everyone bought based on fit over manufacturer. The blue one won’t out perform the red one, if physiologically the red one works better for the stance and flex of the users leg.

Any consensus on the spoilers? It seems a bit weird that it's bolted on and the bolt digs into the liner when you remove it, while it's only a velcro attachment on the rx130.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Some of the additional rearward stiffness of the boot is created by the extra piece, it's only partially a spoiler. It is easy to grind the bolt flush so it doesn't catch.

To those of you still searching for the one boot quiver, it's not there.

If all you ever ski on is a boot like the XT3 140, on skis that have 90mm waists and rocker, you will think they are great. And they are.

But, you wouldn't want to pilot a 27m GS ski with them.

I have the good fortune (some times) to have more ski boots than time to ski them. The primary ones are from the Lange family.

There is a ZB plug, a Purple Haze, XT3 Promodel 140LV, and the Tour Pro. I'm not boasting, its an occupational hazard really. There is a definite pecking order to ski performance and which skis get driven with which boots. It goes pretty much like you would expect. Race skis with plugs, sub 95mm and frontside skis with the Purple ones, and so on.

On the other side of the equation, the clown skis get completely overpowered by the race boot.

I'm always amused when people who ski exclusively on AT or hybrid boots (especially with tech bindings)
    tell me how these boots ski just as well as alpine boots.

Hell, boots with replaceable toes and heels don't ski as well as boots with solid soles. But you would never know this unless you skied with one on each foot. And then, its quite noticeable.

^^^^^

Wisdom. People tell me all the time how their 130 flex touring boots ski just like a race boot.

No, no they do not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    ^^^^^

Wisdom. People tell me all the time how their 130 flex touring boots ski just like a race boot.

No, no they do not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Purple Haze boot is a 140 flex Lange RX130 LV. I'm currently running an Atomic Mimic Professional liner in it, and it's pretty nice, fits and skis great.
    But its got nothing on the race boot performance wise. Although it is nice to be able to take it off when you come in!

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    Some of the additional rearward stiffness of the boot is created by the extra piece, it's only partially a spoiler. It is easy to grind the bolt flush so it doesn't catch.

To those of you still searching for the one boot quiver, it's not there.

If all you ever ski on is a boot like the XT3 140, on skis that have 90mm waists and rocker, you will think they are great. And they are.

But, you wouldn't want to pilot a 27m GS ski with them.

I have the good fortune (some times) to have more ski boots than time to ski them. The primary ones are from the Lange family.

There is a ZB plug, a Purple Haze, XT3 Promodel 140LV, and the Tour Pro. I'm not boasting, its an occupational hazard really. There is a definite pecking order to ski performance and which skis get driven with which boots. It goes pretty much like you would expect. Race skis with plugs, sub 95mm and frontside skis with the Purple ones, and so on.

On the other side of the equation, the clown skis get completely overpowered by the race boot.

I'm always amused when people who ski exclusively on AT or hybrid boots (especially with tech bindings)
    tell me how these boots ski just as well as alpine boots.

Hell, boots with replaceable toes and heels don't ski as well as boots with solid soles. But you would never know this unless you skied with one on each foot. And then, its quite noticeable.
    Rearwatd stiffness is actually one of the main reasons I switched from Lupos to xt3 as travel boots. But I did feel them being a bit sloppy at the back when the spoiler is out. At the same time the angle feels quite aggressive for progressive mounted freeride skis(only carpet flexing) when the spoiler is in. Time will tell, no skiing in them yet this season.

I inherited a pair of Purple Haze Rx140 and I'm stoked to get them punched. I expect marginal gains over 500+ day Rx130s.

The Xt3 140lv skis really well for a freeride walking boot. By far my favorite travel and working boot to date.

I understand the RS/RX 140 is the same exact shell as the RS/RX 130. They give it an extra 10 stiffy points because of a different liner.

I understand the RS/RX 140 is the same exact shell as the RS/RX 130. They give it an extra 10 stiffy points because of a different liner.
    A common story

That was the case with the RS140 of a few years go, same shell, stiffer liner. The two Heritage Series boots, the Pink Panther from three years ago, and last year's Purple Haze are stiffer plastic than the RS 130, which is stiffer than the RX 130.
    The difference between those two is most likely the liner and the soles. As 130 flex boots go neither is on the stiffer end of the spectrum although they are stiffer than some. Softer than others.

Quote Originally Posted by jummo View Post
    That was the case with the RS140 of a few years go, same shell, stiffer liner. The two Heritage Series boots, the Pink Panther from three years ago, and last year's Purple Haze are stiffer plastic than the RS 130, which is stiffer than the RX 130.
    The difference between those two is most likely the liner and the soles.
    Since you've skied a number of the Lange boots, do you know if the ZR 95mm plug is basically ZB plastic stiffness or more like Pink Panther/Purple Haze plastic stiffness?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Since you've skied a number of the Lange boots, do you know if the ZR 95mm plug is basically ZB plastic stiffness or more like Pink Panther/Purple Haze plastic stiffness?
    I do not know since I haven't actually seen the boot. The key thing to keep in mind is that even if the plastic is of the same durometer, the wall thickness will determine the ultimate flex.

The Heritage boots (at a 140 flex) are plenty stiff in forward flex, but they don't begin to match the ZB (which is also rated at 140) in lateral, torsional or rearward stiffness.

The other part is dampening, which is an often overlooked aspect of boot performance. The race boots are very stable, little vibration or deflection. Being light isn't always a plus.

I don't actually know this, again because I haven't held the boot in my hands, but I would assume that it is built in the race boot mold not the RS mold. This is because it is given the WC name as opposed to the RS nomenclature.

This would suggest that it is the 92mm last with a bigger plug, or 3mm less wall thickness. This will make the boot softer with the same plastic, but stiffer than the 97mm RS boot.

The RS 130LV is stiffer than the RS 130 MV for this reason, the extra 3mm come out of wall thickness, same external dimensions. This is the same for the RX series.

All of this helps to understand why flex ratings are so meaningless and are not standards. A lot of variables.

It's going to be a winner and most of my allotment has already been spoken for.

Anyone tried RX130 liner in xt3?

Contemplating bringing both liners and xt3 shell for BC trip in February to get the most out of both touring and inbounds. Maybe I'm overthinking, but really want to make the most out of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ma4b86 View Post
    Anyone tried RX130 liner in xt3?

Contemplating bringing both liners and xt3 shell for BC trip in February to get the most out of both touring and inbounds. Maybe I'm overthinking, but really want to make the most out of the trip.

since I got my GFT I am planning on traveling with my xt130 and my Zipfit GFT and corsa. I think it’s a great idea. Have a dry liner for alpine days after touring or vice versa

I don't have the GFT liners but I use my really old and floppy Grand Prix Zips in my XT3's and they work great with the only issue being that I must have them completely unbuckled for the up or the walk mechanism will lock itself. I have a newer pair of the Grand Prix liners too, but the old ones (14 seasons?) just fit soooo damn well I always grab them first. They've been stitched back together twice by the cobbler but they still rock! My stock XT3 liners have never been used.

I bought a pair of the Corsa liners thinking the stiffer sidewinder cuff and leather interior would make the XT3 that much better, but they didn't work for me - I'm too old for that shit.

Anyway, the XT3 combined with my zips is the best travel / AT-capable boot I've had to date.