Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Lange XT3 140

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    That's a bit more difficult to validate via the carpet flex.
    Nail gun thru the toe lug and lean back, easy.

Or click into the skis on carpet I guess. Been a while since I've carpet skied. Should try it again

Difficult to validate but along with a progressive flex is the key to whether it skis for shit or is good for me. The original XT had a good progressive forward flex but it fell apart if you got on the cuff. Kind of like leaning too far back in a chair feeling. This boot is definitely more connected.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If you have to ask this question of strangers on an Internet forum, chances are high you won't notice a difference. Plus, getting a 140 flex plug to fit will be even harder than the XT3 LV.
    Sorry, don't mean to be snotty, but the people picking this particular nit usually have hundreds if not thousands of days on high performance (e.g. race) boots and are seeking a walk-mode option that offers similar performance. Such a thing doesn't really exist, and normal skiers roaming about on their mid-fat "all mountain" skis are unlikely to miss it.

Generally, a pure race boot (or even a 130 flex consumer boot with a riveted cuff) will ski with more precision and power under the right circumstances. This usually means sustained carved turns at speed - it's way harder to tell the difference billowing through 2 feet of pow. Part of this is the increased weight, part of it is thicker plastic with more predictable rebound and compression rates, part of it is the one-piece hard plastic sole, and part of it is the liner.

When I say a 140 flex plug will be harder for your bootfitter(s) to make comfortable, I'm referring to the obvious choice if you stay in a Lange boot, the 92mm-lasted RS ZB. The plastic is way tougher and thicker, and the boot is much lower volume than a consumer 97mm shell. I had my XT3's dialed in under an hour, and it took me weeks to get the RS 130 right - and I have a full boot lab at home and know beforehand exactly where I need to work on the boots.

FWIW, the extra weight isn't an advantage when hiking or skiing tight trees or narrow chutes, and the smooth and slippery plug soles are super sketchy in an icy parking lot . . .

... the smooth and slippery plug soles are super sketchy in an icy parking lot . . .
    Or on sketchy ridge, scrambling over rocks, and obviously slippery bar floors.

I don't think @gregL mentioned this (and please correct any misstatement) ...

A buddy who works in a shop told me that if you're molding an aftermarket liner in an XT3, you should slip a thin piece of (for example) UHMW between the rear of the liner and the walk mechanism. I believe the stock liner has some sort of hard plastic in this area.

Molding without a a plastic spacer will result in the liner interfering with the walk-mode lock. It's unclear to me if this is only a molding procedure or if you need to keep this "AFD" in place afterwards as well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I don't think @gregL mentioned this (and please correct any misstatement) ...

A buddy who works in a shop told me that if you're molding an aftermarket liner in an XT3, you should slip a thin piece of (for example) UHMW between the rear of the liner and the walk mechanism. I believe the stock liner has some sort of hard plastic in this area.

Molding without a a plastic spacer will result in the liner interfering with the walk-mode lock. It's unclear to me if this is only a molding procedure or if you need to keep this "AFD" in place afterwards as well.

... Thom
    If he means that sometimes the mode won't completely switch from Tour to Ski or vice-versa, then simply loosen the cuff buckles so there is enough room between the liner and shell for the tour mechanism to move up/down freely. This can happen even with the stock liner if the buckles are done tight, sometimes it doesn't allow for free movement of the 'wedge' piece.

Have the boots on my feet currently. I'm typically not a big fan of "spoilers" in my boots. I wouldn't think twice about pulling it out on this boot if it were velcro'd in like other boots' spoilers.

Anyone risked taking the allen bolt out and skied these?

Otherwise the boot feels pretty good. Nice even pressure down my shin, good heel hold. Will probably need a punch on the 6th toe or medial metatarsal, but that's expected with most LV boots for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Attachment 354154Attachment 354155

a piece of velcro is stopping you from removing the spoiler?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    a piece of velcro is stopping you from removing the spoiler?
    Quite the opposite. A piece of velcro is why I'd pull it out. The fact that it's bolted in for this boot is holding me back because I'm assuming it's a little more integrated and important.

It appears to be the same 'ol Lange cuff shim except bolted through the same hole as the power strap. I'll likely remove it but looks like it will need a shorter bolt No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    It appears to be the same 'ol Lange cuff shim except bolted through the same hole as the power strap. I'll likely remove it but looks like it will need a shorter bolt No big deal.
    Tried it with the shim completely removed, as well as lowered. Definitely better in both regards.

With the shim completely out, I think I'll need to shorten the top buckle ladder. Possibly even drill a new hole. Makes me a little hesitant that it'll distort the upper cuff to get it tight enough.

On another note - having both the 130 and the 140 in my possession simultaneously I can say they are all but identical except that the cuffs were stamped differently. The 140 was stamped "DX" while the 130 was "SX". I couldn't tell any other difference other than that, and the aforementioned booster strap & cuff shim difference. The liner appears to be the exact same thing but with more orangey colors. I'm sure that "DX" means these go to eleven whereas the "SX" only goes to ten.

A few quick observations after skiing the 140's ...

- They stiffen up in the cold. considerably. No complaints at all of stiffness! They ski very similarly to am RX 130 albeit with a little less progressive feel / rebound.
    - The walk mode doesn't like to stay in walk mode with a zipfit liner unless you have everything completely unbuckled, wide open and floppy, which isn't always good for sketchy climbing situations. It was pissing me off to take 3 steps and be back in ski mode every time.
    - The back cuff in ski mode is one of the best & stiffest I have ever felt in any AT boot. Ever. Kudos to Lange.

A few quick observations after skiing the 140's ...

- They stiffen up in the cold. considerably. No complaints at all of stiffness! They ski very similarly to am RX 130 albeit with a little less progressive feel / rebound.
    Thanks for the info. I’m in the Rossi version of the RX130 and am curious about what you mean by less progressive feel.

For example, in the Lange Banshee Pros from the 2010s the flex sort of stopped after some travel. Is that what you’re feeling? I like the RX 130 because it doesn’t have that stop point.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Nail gun thru the toe lug and lean back, easy.

Or click into the skis on carpet I guess. Been a while since I've carpet skied. Should try it again
    Carpet skiing is the only place I "ollie"

On another note - having both the 130 and the 140 in my possession simultaneously I can say they are all but identical except that the cuffs were stamped differently. The 140 was stamped "DX" while the 130 was "SX". I couldn't tell any other difference other than that, and the aforementioned booster strap & cuff shim difference. The liner appears to be the exact same thing but with more orangey colors. I'm sure that "DX" means these go to eleven whereas the "SX" only goes to ten.
    SX and DX are left and right. It is from the Italian sinistra and destra.

GregL, I read on randosaigai that you put DIN soles on the xt3? Are those the ones from last season that fit on the xt free?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    GregL, I read on randosaigai that you put DIN soles on the xt3? Are those the ones from last season that fit on the xt free?
    Yes, I swapped them from last year's boots.

I'm really liking this boot. Need to get one more punch maybe. I feel like I have plenty of response and driving wide skis is no problem. Got a few dings on the locking lugs, but It has not progressed.

Is there any noticable difference in the liners of the RS and RX 130? I have an old pair of RX 130, 100 mm, which I need to replace. I can get a good online deal on a pair of RS 130, 100 mm, and the reason I’m asking is that I worry they will be colder. I live in Scandinavia and it gets really cold here. Could someone with experience of both RX and RS 130 advice, like GregL? Thanks 🙏

Quote Originally Posted by Rudis View Post
    Is there any noticable difference in the liners of the RS and RX 130? I have an old pair of RX 130, 100 mm, which I need to replace. I can get a good online deal on a pair of RS 130, 100 mm, and the reason I’m asking is that I worry they will be colder. I live in Scandinavia and it gets really cold here. Could someone with experience of both RX and RS 130 advice, like GregL? Thanks ��
    I've used both RS and RX stock liners in various versions of the RX130, never noticed much of a difference. RS seemed a little stiffer maybe. Both are cold compared to Intuitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudis View Post
    Is there any noticable difference in the liners of the RS and RX 130? I have an old pair of RX 130, 100 mm, which I need to replace. I can get a good online deal on a pair of RS 130, 100 mm, and the reason I’m asking is that I worry they will be colder. I live in Scandinavia and it gets really cold here. Could someone with experience of both RX and RS 130 advice, like GregL? Thanks ��
    The RS liner feels denser and burlier to me, probably less "carpet foam" on the inside as well (the really soft stuff they use so people buy the boots). I don't think either is especially warm; whenever I use my RS 130's I bring my Lenz heated socks.

3 times in 3 days the boot pops into walk mode while skiing. I think it’s my cuff grabbing it. But that said, they are super sloppy. Obnoxious. Glad my RS130 will be here in a week. XT3 liner is awesome though. And the walk mode is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    3 times in 3 days the boot pops into walk mode while skiing. I think it’s my cuff grabbing it. But that said, they are super sloppy. Obnoxious. Glad my RS130 will be here in a week. XT3 liner is awesome though. And the walk mode is really good.
    No problem at all with my walk mode. IMO they ski great.
    The XT3's are definitely roomier than any other LV Lange in my collection; making the LV fit my 117mm wide foot took about 30 minutes, while every other LV Lange (RS 130 x 3, XT 130 x 2, RX 130, etc.) was a week-long project . . .

No problem at all with my walk mode. IMO they ski great.
    The XT3's are definitely roomier than any other LV Lange in my collection; making the LV fit my 117mm wide foot took about 30 minutes, while every other LV Lange (RS 130 x 3, XT 130 x 2, RX 130, etc.) was a week-long project . . .
    Do you think think this would be a good candidate for me? My XT130Free (100mm) are getting tired. I’ve always gone wide (100) to get the instep height I’ve needed.
    Do you think I could I go with the 97’s?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8177.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	359293

Name:	IMG_8176.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	359294

Name:	IMG_8175.JPG