Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Lange XT3 140

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    I have RS140's and the XT3 140 and I'd say that the XT is just ever so slightly shorter, which makes sense given the BSL of the RS140 is 336mm and the XT3 is 333mm.
    RS 130 vs. XT3 130 LV, they feel about the same on my feet in length, stock footbed is actually longer in the XT3, BSL is 3mm shorter . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    RS 130 vs. XT3 130 LV, they feel about the same on my feet in length, stock footbed is actually longer in the XT3, BSL is 3mm shorter . . .
    okay thanks at all.
    Yes the BSL is shorter. But as GregL says, that must not directly mean that the shoe is shorter.

In the Shift or Strider I have with my 257mm long feet a little more space forward in the 25 size. the Lange Xt3 is there already a little more "race-fit" in my eyes.

And especially when I need the shoe then still touring, it squeezes already the toes. (-:

To expand a bit ... it doesn't feel so much 'shorter', but more feels like it has ever so slightly less volume. FWIW that's while using the same zipfit/footbed setup in both of them. Also note that I have RX130's as well, which are identical to the RS's so I have a decent base to compare from albeit for my own little piggies.

The RS was the first boot I've owned since coming off of plugs that I didn't have to punch, grind or mutilate to get them to fit. My general belief until then was that if you didn't have to punch a boot then it was just too big. The RS was the first boot I skied in stock form because it had the larger toe box area. That said, I suspect I will be punching the XT ... again, ever so slightly.
    Who cares how the crow flies

That said, I suspect I will be punching the XT ... again, ever so slightly.
    Apply the heat slowly - heat gun on for a few seconds, then off for a few - the flat finish XT3 plastic glazes easily.

Apply the heat slowly - heat gun on for a few seconds, then off for a few - the flat finish XT3 plastic glazes easily.
    Thanks, good to know. I've punched a gazzilion boots but a lot of this newfangled plastic and even newer finishes have very different characteristics, and it's always difficult to tell just how it'll react. Do you have any recommendations for target temp? 220° , 221° - whatever it takes?

Thanks, good to know. I've punched a gazzilion boots but a lot of this newfangled plastic and even newer finishes have very different characteristics, and it's always difficult to tell just how it'll react. Do you have any recommendations for target temp? 220° , 221° - whatever it takes?
    Half second finger touch inside the shell . . .

Half second finger touch inside the shell . . .
    I once tried to teach this technique to a young grass hopper in the shop. He burnt his fingers every time, I mean every single time.
    I swear he had a super slow reaction/connection time to his brain, buy the time he said ouch, his finger was already blistered.

Yup, still skis like a boot with walk mode. Flex is soft but feels good. Not as soft as the hawk or the head, pretty much in line with the Cochise. Liner is really nice. Boot is super light feeling. Very comfy. Still doesn’t replace having two sets of boots.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Yup, still skis like a boot with walk mode. Flex is soft but feels good. Not as soft as the hawk or the head, pretty much in line with the Cochise. Liner is really nice. Boot is super light feeling. Very comfy. Still doesn’t replace having two sets of boots.
    Be careful when you walk into a shop and say you "want the option to tour" . . .

Be careful when you walk into a shop and say you "want the option to tour" . . .
    Ya. It’s definitely getting better. But still not all the way there. I sold two pairs of boots in hopes that this would be the fix all. But I was wrong. Really just need to have a plug boot and a super nice touring boot and just be happy with two well performing boots as opposed to one boot that almost hits the mark.

Ya. It’s definitely getting better. But still not all the way there. I sold two pairs of boots in hopes that this would be the fix all. But I was wrong. Really just need to have a plug boot and a super nice touring boot and just be happy with two well performing boots as opposed to one boot that almost hits the mark.
    You can never take my Zb away.

Yeah 2 boots is unfortunately the best option.

If you're punching, get a laser thermometer get the the XT3 shell to just under 100*celsius and you'll be fine, no glazing and the punches hold if you do it right.
    We are at multiple dozens of of these in all flexes so far this season and the feedback in store and on hill has been very positive. If you can ski an RS or RX boot pick the same mondo size and go to town.
    Our second ship is due here any day which is good because we are pretty much in single sizes of every model.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    If you're punching, get a laser thermometer get the the XT3 shell to just under 100*celsius and you'll be fine, no glazing and the punches hold if you do it right.
    Among other things, a hand-held IR thermometer can be focused on five spots around the punch area and return drastically different results; also it is measuring the surface temperature of the plastic and not the temperature all the way through the shell. 100 C. (boiling point of water) is not hot enough to permanently modify most ski boot plastics - there is a reason your Custom Shell oven is factory set to 117 C. and most other quality plastics need to be hotter than Custom Shell/Memory Fit PU . . .

Our entire crew is trained to use their finger (so far no one has quit with bandaged hands); the batteries went out in the IR thermometer last year and no one noticed for months.

Agree that the XT3 skis great and the transition from an LV Lange plug to the XT3 LV is no problem.

I'll add one thing, be aware the bootboard/zeppas in the XT3 series are extremely fragile so be careful taking liners in and out. I broke the first one I tried on just by putting my foot in the boot but i have little girl feet in 24.5 so shell space and flexiblity may have played a factor in that case.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I'll add one thing, be aware the bootboard/zeppas in the XT3 series are extremely fragile so be careful taking liners in and out. I broke the first one I tried on just by putting my foot in the boot but i have little girl feet in 24.5 so shell space and flexiblity may have played a factor in that case.
    It is not just you, they are super thin and fragile, unlike any previous Lange bootboards - they are light, however.

It will never be "all the way there."

Luckily, the only time you need one boot to do it all is when you get on a plane destined overseas, and then only for a week or two. This year, chances are good you won't need it.

Agreed - The quest for the holy grail continues, but we'll never find "the" boot. Alpine boots and AT boots are just too good at what they do with diametrically opposed requirements. That said this XT3 is by far the best compromise yet.

Agreed - The quest for the holy grail continues, but we'll never find "the" boot. Alpine boots and AT boots are just too good at what they do with diametrically opposed requirements. That said this XT3 is by far the best compromise yet.
    Reading this thread has me more excited to get mine. Supposed to arrive Saturday!

Two days on my XT3 130 LV after 6 on my RS 130 plugs, and I'm stoked. There is definitely more volume out of the box, and I'm still trying to decide "if" and "how thick" a shim to run behind the liner cuff.

Lange XT3 140

Curious as to where you guys are finding the compromise between your XT3s and your non-hybrid inbounds boot. More noticeable rebound in the latter? Rebound and damping? Would a liner difference change your mind?

It’s been far too long since I’ve had a dedicated inbounds boot but coming off Salomon MTNLabs, then Lupo130s, and now onto the XT3-140s I’m very happy with the way the boot fits and skis, it’s plenty stiff at 6’2”/190lbs and a more damped feel than the Grilamid of the Lupos. I did go into this season thinking I would do a dedicated inbounds (with CAST inserts) but the XT3 felt great in the store so I jumped on it.
    (Touring boots are ZGTPs which ski a lot different than the XT3s, same 140 liner in both)

Also looking for a dedicated non touring liner. I work at an Atomic dealer so I grabbed some Mimics, nice in the ankle and tongue but shit in the forefoot, way too thin and loose (too much volume left, will try once more with the Bondex). Will probably end up with a foam injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The number of punches across two states I had to get on these (26.5, xt3 140LV) was nuts. But I have arrived. Still numb after a bit, but they have only seen 2-3 honest days of skiing. Massive improvement over the Panterra 120 somebody fit me in Durango... (anybody want a pair for cheap?)

I really like the control I'm getting out of these. I was able to drive the Moment DW no probs on shitty hard pack this week. I feel like any issues are my own lack of ability, not power transfer into the boot. I'm light and average height though.

I'm wondering what I would gain, if anything from a true alpine. I can see the benefits of going lighter for a true touring boot (Zero G or something). After all these boot issues I have had, I'd hate to not have a backup of some kind at the ready anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    I'm wondering what I would gain, if anything from a true alpine. After all these boot issues I have had, I'd hate to not have a backup of some kind at the ready anyway.
    If you have to ask this question of strangers on an Internet forum, chances are high you won't notice a difference. Plus, getting a 140 flex plug to fit will be even harder than the XT3 LV.

Carpet testing of the xt3 130 vs my rx130 has the similar feel. Xt3 is stiffer than the xtfree pro I had in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Xt3 is stiffer than the xtfree pro I had in my opinion.
    And MUCH better rearward support (carpet testing the Freetour).

That's a bit more difficult to validate via the carpet flex.