Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Diagonal/classic is stupid. But if you don’t have 24/7 great skate grooming nearby, yes.
    Classic is way more versatile, so fun to just head cross country on mellow terrain. I think most new to nordic would be better served with classic gear IMO.

Edit to add: but I'm someone that wouldn't be caught dead wearing lycra

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    So, if I'm wanting to get into nordorking to get some zone 2 exercise outside mid-week to prep for bike season, are you saying I should go for classic gear instead?
    In my limited experience teaching Nordic ski lessons to people who have little or no skiing experience, the ones who already worked out regularly much preferred skate skiing, in large part because it's just easier to go faster on skate skis. If you have weak ankles and don't do much cardio, skate skiing is going to be very difficult for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Most Nordic areas still have classic tracks.

Stop torturing yourself.
    This has not been my experience, but if you have the great pleasure of skiing somewhere that gets enough snow and stays below freezing, it's probably true.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Diagonal/classic is stupid. But if you don’t have 24/7 great skate grooming nearby, yes.
    Juha Mieto would like a word with you.
    Name:  mietaa.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  31.7 KB

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ead.php/185666

It's only as ghay as you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Classic is way more versatile, so fun to just head cross country on mellow terrain. I think most new to nordic would be better served with classic gear IMO.

Edit to add: but I'm someone that wouldn't be caught dead wearing lycra
    Yeah, not sure what the maintenance program is on the free city-maintained trails close by here in Seacoast Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    In my limited experience teaching Nordic ski lessons to people who have little or no skiing experience, the ones who already worked out regularly much preferred skate skiing, in large part because it's just easier to go faster on skate skis. If you have weak ankles and don't do much cardio, skate skiing is going to be very difficult for a while.

My ankles are an interesting situation from my spinal cord injury/resulting nerve & muscle loss, but always wanted to work on my skating for the long snowmo trail exits out of some of the out-there BC runs here.

This has not been my experience, but if you have the great pleasure of skiing somewhere that gets enough snow and stays below freezing, it's probably true.
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ead.php/185666

It's only as ghay as you want it to be.
    We're still calling shit ghay here? I think we're probably ready to evolve past that, eh?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Yeah,e

We're still calling shit ghay here? I think we're probably ready to evolve past that, eh?
    It’s 2020
    We can say gay now. Or just faggoty

Not that either Nordic is.

I grew up diagonally. Used to set a track every storm in the park across the street and do a few laps.
    Anyone can just cruise the local parks or golf course.

I’m surprised you can skate ski but not have a classic track. In either case they need to groom. I guess it’s just the trend of more skaters than gliders.

There’s nothing like having the right wax and getting a solid takeoff and a long glide. Skate never has that.

Classic Is like jogging or a fast walk.
    Skate is like running

Ymmv
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I grew up diagonally. Used to set a track every storm in the park across the street and do a few laps.
    Anyone can just cruise the local parks or golf course.

I’m surprised you can skate ski but not have a classic track. In either case they need to groom. I guess it’s just the trend of more skaters than gliders.

There’s nothing like having the right wax and getting a solid takeoff and a long glide. Skate never has that.
    Yeah I guess I pretty much never go Nordic skiing when it isn't groomed, but have plenty of experience skiing where the snow coverage is good enough for marginal grooming, but not quite enough to set a classic track. I agree that classic skiing with the right wax is awesome, but it's a lot of extra work for someone just getting into it.

I tried it once and it was like a deer on ice. Now I AT when my wife does skate nordic. I think anyone is faster than me since I really suck at it and am scared when I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I can see skating over classic if you only ski groomed areas, but the joy of nordic, for me, is getting back to the basic roots of overland travel and enjoying being outside. I hate being where there are a bunch of other people on the same track, bleh. So if your only goal is to burn the most calories, skate. If you want to get away from other people and have a nice casual day in the mountains or valleys, classic all the way.

I got to attend a Fischer Camp at the turn of the century. It was rad. I spent an morning trying to skate ski (as a novice) with Captain Nordic (RIP) and a few of his peers. It was humbling, but somehow I didn’t throw up.

If anyone wants to come and skate with me this winter give me a shout. BTW, it's pretty fucking empty here even on a weekend on a skate track near a trailhead. I can bring a dog if you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.49.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	588.2 KB 
ID:	348983

BTW, my wife is faster than you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0675.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	348981  
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Skate skiing is stupid

My skis are 190 and the poles say 160. I'm 6 feet tall and the 160's is what was recommended to me when I bought? Boots are 9.5. I'll try to add pics to this post if anyone is interested. Having tech difficulties.

Name:	IMG_4633.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	348989

Name:	IMG_4634.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	348990

If anyone wants to come and skate with me this winter give me a shout. BTW, it's pretty fucking empty here even on a weekend on a skate track near a trailhead. I can bring a dog if you want.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.49.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	588.2 KB 
ID:	348983

BTW, my wife is faster than you.
    Well shit, that's a pretty enough track that it makes me want to skate ski again. I'll come skate with ya, that is until you, your wife, and my wife all leave me gasping behind you.

This year with shit snow, pandemic lift lines, my normal misanthropy, skate skiing has been pretty great. Zooming around in the woods with almost no control. I almost hit a tree today, not quite broken bones speed, but probably would have been good for a bruised kidney. It's fun in an "I'm going to grind myself into the ground until all the things annoying me seem inconsequential" kind of way.

I did 50k today and I am comically wrecked. Kind of a stupid sport.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    This year with shit snow, pandemic lift lines, my normal misanthropy, skate skiing has been pretty great. Zooming around in the woods with almost no control. I almost hit a tree today, not quite broken bones speed, but probably would have been good for a bruised kidney. It's fun in an "I'm going to grind myself into the ground until all the things annoying me seem inconsequential" kind of way.

I did 50k today and I am comically wrecked. Kind of a stupid sport.
    50k is a SOLID effort. Nicely done.

Seriously. That's gonna hurt ... so guuuud.

Somewhat shamefully I have to admit to getting on the nordork boat this year, albeit without spandex. Classic only this year and have to admit I've liked it, especially since we haven't been riding lifts this year. For the wife and I 10K is a solid effort, 50K puts you solidly in the spandex warrior category.

I think plugboots and I live in the same area because that place in the photo looks an awful lot like our favorite dog trail...and this area is the holy mecca of nordic skiing.

And lastly...classic nordic does NOT necessarily get you in shape for alpine skiing and prevent burning legs after a few runs. Very different muscle groups.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    If someone:
    lives eastside seattle area
    is into type 2, type 3 cardio fun (long distance single speed mtb racing example)
    fantasizes about getting into nordic skiing for an additional suffering dose during winter
    what gear is best to start with? and where to go?
    asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Somewhat shamefully I have to admit to getting on the nordork boat this year, albeit without spandex. Classic only this year and have to admit I've liked it, especially since we haven't been riding lifts this year. For the wife and I 10K is a solid effort, 50K puts you solidly in the spandex warrior category.

I think plugboots and I live in the same area because that place in the photo looks an awful lot like our favorite dog trail...and this area is the holy mecca of nordic skiing.

And lastly...classic nordic does NOT necessarily get you in shape for alpine skiing and prevent burning legs after a few runs. Very different muscle groups.
    I wore softshells!!!

... Probably time to spandex up though really. Embrace the nordorkery in all it's glory. The XC here is set up so that a lot of good tours start in the same area. You get some looks (all in my head? Almost certainly). I just hope they recognize me when I blow by them in the skintrack

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    If someone:
    lives eastside seattle area
    is into type 2, type 3 cardio fun (long distance single speed mtb racing example)
    fantasizes about getting into nordic skiing for an additional suffering dose during winter
    what gear is best to start with? and where to go?
    asking for a friend
    Do a demo of skate gear at Snoqualmie summit Nordic. Watch a few YouTube videos, and thrash yourself. You’ll love it.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Do a demo of skate gear at Snoqualmie summit Nordic. Watch a few YouTube videos, and thrash yourself. You’ll love it.
    thanks, looks very reasonable to demo for an afternoon. I'll tell my friend

1) I was hesitant to the spandex move but got a good set up and now it’s they way to go for any long ski
    2) today is the last day of the Birkie in Hayward, WI today, 30* and looks like 4-6” through the day, that’s be a killer over 50k

well maybe but its not as stupid as telemark
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    1) I was hesitant to the spandex move but got a good set up and now it’s they way to go for any long ski
    2) today is the last day of the Birkie in Hayward, WI today, 30* and looks like 4-6” through the day, that’s be a killer over 50k

Absolutely brutal conditions!

Name:	IMG_4630.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	365251