Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    but maybe I haven't used the right cleaver.
    You may want to try the beaver cleaver.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Growing up without that particular kitchen appliance, keeping mom's knives sharp was never an issue. Wife's family would remark how nice and sharp our knives are, and would ask me to bring my stones when visiting, until I saw them put their knives in the dishwasher. If clues were shoes and all that...

I'm not Gordon fucking Ramsay here so its all about the convienience & the clean ... just another strategy

also have half a doz of them small nylon cutting boards that I thro in the DW with the knives
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Did someone say cleaver?

I found these in the garage among all the previous owners’ stuff. The cleaver’s tang is a quarter inch thick. It weighs a ton and I’ll never have a need for it, other than preparing kindling maybe. The machete looking knife is old German steel. I don’t butcher anything, so I’ll probably end up giving these away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

I bought an IMarku 10” chef’s knife off Amazon last year for $20 that I like a lot. It has German stainless steel, a sharp, thin blade, and a comfortable handle. Holds the edge very well.

Sure probably not as sharp as one of those carbon steel exotic blades, but more than adequate for my use, and cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by house View Post
    Did someone say cleaver?

I found these in the garage among all the previous owners’ stuff. The cleaver’s tang is a quarter inch thick. It weighs a ton and I’ll never have a need for it, other than preparing kindling maybe. The machete looking knife is old German steel. I don’t butcher anything, so I’ll probably end up giving these away.

You bought a house from Bill the Butcher?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You bought a house from Bill the Butcher?

Yeah, it has good bones.

Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Back to the OP... https://www.surlatable.com/shun-chef...ze=8in#start=6 Great knife to have if you want "fancy" just keep it clean (by hand, no fucking dishwasher!) Don't cut on metal or extremely hard surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm not Gordon fucking Ramsay here so its all about the convienience & the clean ... just another strategy

also have half a doz of them small nylon cutting boards that I thro in the DW with the knives
    That's my second pet peeve. When I use our knives, I am constantly rinsing or wiping them clean through the prep. My better half uses the knife and then sets it aside dirty to allow it air dry to a nice hard crust.
    I love her, and I steer well clear of the kitchen when she gets her swedish chef persona on. I then buck up after the meal and properly tend to the knives and cast iron.

Man I hate the handle on the Shun. Yea you hold it by the blade most of the time but for those times you need a good grip... I guess that’s the point, if you need to apply pressure grab a different knife.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Man I hate the handle on the Shun. Yea you hold it by the blade most of the time but for those times you need a good grip... I guess that’s the point, if you need to apply pressure grab a different knife.

^^ this. tojiro knives, IMO, are the best value for a gyuto or santoku. standard western handle + japanese blade (15 deg) + vg10/vgmax steel all for about half of what the shun will cost

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    That's my second pet peeve. When I use our knives, I am constantly rinsing or wiping them clean through the prep. My better half uses the knife and then sets it aside dirty to allow it air dry to a nice hard crust.
    I love her, and I steer well clear of the kitchen when she gets her swedish chef persona on. I then buck up after the meal and properly tend to the knives and cast iron.
    All cabinets left open, bowls and cutting boards everywhere, multiple pans (even grease from part of the cook poured in a new pan to cook next step) new knife for each stage...I'm resolved to do what you do and come in for heavy clean up when done. We have a pretty small kitchen and looking at a bigger version. I'm pushing to stay small. The only thing more counter space and cabinets will buy me is more cabinets to close and things to clean.

I always say i'm pretty lucky mrs XXX thru me out so i could do it all my way period

except at GF's place i do it her way and she has her quirks

we all do
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    All cabinets left open, bowls and cutting boards everywhere, multiple pans (even grease from part of the cook poured in a new pan to cook next step) new knife for each stage...I'm resolved to do what you do and come in for heavy clean up when done. We have a pretty small kitchen and looking at a bigger version. I'm pushing to stay small. The only thing more counter space and cabinets will buy me is more cabinets to close and things to clean.
    Yup. We are in a similar stage, looking at purchasing a larger property, maybe a slightly larger living space. Literally the double edged knife.

Back when I managed large silviculture contracts/projects, we would ask the question of how much space a tree planting contractor will use if given either 1ha or 5ha of space to set up camp. The only correct answer is all of it. Told the lady that one, she didn't get the humour of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    We really like our Shun knives.
    Same. Got this one a few months ago as an upgrade to our cheaper ones and love it.

https://www.surlatable.com/shun-clas...iew#turntodone

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I always say i'm pretty lucky mrs XXX thru me out so i could do it all my way period

except at GF's place i do it her way and she has her quirks

we all do
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Did someone say cleaver?

Before you give them away.... Rent an autodoner and carve some gyro with that saber. Just to say you did it.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That saber would make a killer carving/butchering knife. I often buy bulk meat at the resto supply and that would be the perfect tool for trimming. I'd be delighted to take it off your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Before you give them away.... Rent an autodoner and carve some gyro with that saber. Just to say you did it.

You can rent one of those??? I know what I'm doing for my birthday

Did someone say cleaver?

maybe fingerprint those things and start digging in the basement?

After owning many "fancy" knives, I am continually reminded that not much beats a Victorinox. Bought a couple smaller ones for butchering recently and they are hard to beat. I even think PapaPooh referenced the same recommendations in one of his delightful tales.

If you want to get fancy, you can always buy the Rosewood handled version.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Worth mentioning given the Shun love in this thread: Kershaw/Shun have an annual in-person warehouse sale at their site outside of Portland, but this year, given the ongoing shitshow, they've moved it online. The Shun sale is December 9-10.

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/blog/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kershaw.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	348784

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...210mm-wa-gyuto

I bought this for my wife last year. It’s our new favorite. I had to wait a while for it to come back into stock.

Worth mentioning given the Shun love in this thread: Kershaw/Shun have an annual in-person warehouse sale at their site outside of Portland, but this year, given the ongoing shitshow, they've moved it online. The Shun sale is December 9-10.

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/blog/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kershaw.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	348784
    Oh nice, thanks for the tip. Kinda wish it was just local so there was less competition for the deals!

Most of those were modern blades that were made specifically for the military to issue to officers, but some were family heirlooms. Either way, people have had some success in finding the families of the officers that carried them and returning them. I guess there's some kind of registry in Japan of the military-issued blades; I'm not sure how it would work for the heirloom variety, but presumably there's some information on the tang that would help. Not saying this is something that you absolutely need to do - I understand that it's become a family heirloom for your family now - but it would make a hell of an interesting detour for your next trip to Hokkaido. "My vacation? Pretty good, I guess: 5 days skiing pow in Hokkaido and 2 days in Tokyo drinking sake with this Japanese family."
    As best as I can tell from google my katana is a generic officer's sword, not a family heirloom. These were machine made, are not considered valuable, and as weapons apparently cannot be brought into Japan to be reunited with a family, and the swords do not have markings to indicate the identity of the officer it was issued to. My dad picked it up after the war when he was stationed in Japan, billeted with a Japanese family. Apparently these swords were surrendered at the end of the war and were brought home by the hundreds of thousands by GI's. I imagine a few of them were taken directly from Japanese soldiers--living or dead--but I'm pretty sure my dad never saw either kind. He was a lab tech on New Guinea before VJ day.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Respectfully disagree, though you're correct in that you certainly can get bling for $. I've had lots of different kitchen knives from thrift store no-name carbon to fancy-ish stainless Germans to big ass Damascus thunkers ordered from Pakistan on Etsy as an experiment.

The Zwilling Kramers have been a game changer in terms of usefulness as long as they're hit on the steel routinely.

Whatever you end up choosing, consider good carbon steel vs. stainless. A lot of the highly rated knives from the big companies are highly rated so often because they're decent and require little care compared to carbon. There's a lowest-common-denominator factor there as the reviewers know most people won't like the upkeep of carbon steel. Decent carbon doesn't come cheap and that difference IMHO can't be reduced to bling.
    I like carbon blades. They will take a sharper edge but do require care to maintain and won't look as purty as stainless. All my woodworking blades are carbon, except for the carbide saw blades of course. It's a pain in the ass to keep them from rusting in the garage, but a plane blade has to slice through hard rock maple, not a tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    There's a difference between a maple cutting board and a figured walnut countertop... sheesh, what are you people, troglodytes?
    That "figured walnut countertop" looks like plastic veneer to me.