Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As best as I can tell from google my katana is a generic officer's sword, not a family heirloom. These were machine made, are not considered valuable, and as weapons apparently cannot be brought into Japan to be reunited with a family, and the swords do not have markings to indicate the identity of the officer it was issued to. My dad picked it up after the war when he was stationed in Japan, billeted with a Japanese family. Apparently these swords were surrendered at the end of the war and were brought home by the hundreds of thousands by GI's. I imagine a few of them were taken directly from Japanese soldiers--living or dead--but I'm pretty sure my dad never saw either kind. He was a lab tech on New Guinea before VJ day.

Nice, I learned something today. Definitely a different situation than how I had envisioned your dad coming by the sword. ;-)

These guys are local to me and make nice knives. I have one. The exchange rate will work in your favor.

https://northarmknives.com/product/a...h-chefs-knife/

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    My wife and I are adulting particularity hard these days and it’s time to upgrade to a decent chef’s knife.

I don’t want to spend a ton of money, but she’s an excellent cook and I want to get her something nice.

What brands?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    While going utilitarian can make sense, it sounds like a gift to your wife would be nice with a little bling to it. Having her open up a box with a sexy handle and something exotic looking will get you laid. Just about anything will cut. Get her something that let's her know you think she's hot shit.

There's plenty of great suggestions in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    These guys are local to me and make nice knives. I have one. The exchange rate will work in your favor.

https://northarmknives.com/product/a...h-chefs-knife/
    +2 Good stuff! This is my most used knife. Edit: I actually have the Sitka Santoku.

To add: check the BLEM section for some super deals

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201119_214403185.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	348833
    I used this almost daily for last 2 yrs and the edge is as sharp as new without ever sharpening. I don't cut cans or pvc pipe like the Cutco salesman though.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    While going utilitarian can make sense, it sounds like a gift to your wife would be nice with a little bling to it. Having her open up a box with a sexy handle and something exotic looking will get you laid. Just about anything will cut. Get her something that let's her know you think she's hot shit.

You are not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    You got a real damascus knife for 100? Brand please

Name:	F5C22C6B-2BCA-48BC-9C10-0DDD328AB1BE.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	348841

I use a steel bar like Ötzi posted to keep it sharp. I sharpen it every couple weeks, just about the time the hair on my arm grows back.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

Name:	F5C22C6B-2BCA-48BC-9C10-0DDD328AB1BE.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	348841

I use a steel bar like Ötzi posted to keep it sharp. I sharpen it every couple weeks, just about the time the hair on my arm grows back.
    looks like a solid fucking knife. vg10 is the shit.

pfft. It's all about the vg11 these days man.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    looks like a solid fucking knife. vg10 is the shit.
    It's a mass produced Chinese knife, likely made from a Chinese copy of VG10. Can't argue with the price though, and if it works, it works.

Mexican Blanket micarta handles are hot right now.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.21.59 PM.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	348848

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    It's a mass produced Chinese knife, likely made from a Chinese copy of VG10. Can't argue with the price though, and if it works, it works.
    i understand how these knives are mass-produced, but on the spectrum of utility/artistry, i fall solidly on the side of functionality. my go-to, tojiro dp, are relatively cheap vg-10 knives that hold a wicked edge, feel great in the hand, and are cheap as shit. bobmc's knife looks like a step up.

i'm not a dentist, i just like sharp knives in the kitchen.

^The Tojiro F-502 is a great one.

I’ve got a Tojiro DP Nakiri. Fantastic blade, but definitely doesn’t feel great in the hand. The handles are notoriously bad and feel like a square block. I had to sand mine down to smooth it out and remove the edge at the uneven join. FYI-like.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Sheesh, all these pretty knives.. Tools, not jewels.

These are the three that I go to most. The carbon steel cimenter is probably my fave, easy to get razor sharp, found at a thrift store.
    The chef's and slicer are about thirty years old.

Name:	PXL_20201120_001851882.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	348894

Opinel
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Chef’s knives?

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post

Like a knife with a dildo handle?

Seriously the Victorinox Pro is hard to beat at any price. I use that(8”)or a 10” Zwilling Henckel that my mom had rattling around in her “knife” drawer. She picked it up at the Goodwill. I said “nice knife” she said “it’s yours”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Like a knife with a dildo handle?

Go the other way around. Dildo with a knife handle.

I'm using 30+ yo wooden handled Forschner (Victorinox) that sat for a lot of years from a previous life. I'll try to use those up and then probably buy more Victorinox. 8" Chef, 7" utility, and the flexible boning knife get the most use. I don't really give a fuck about these knives and so they get heavily abused by the Trizor XV. It took a few passes to sharpen them to 15 deg from the angle they were originally given at birth. Between then and now I use to use a dry stone that took way too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Like a knife with a dildo handle...

Name:  Image1605897616.074585.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  21.0 KB
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

This thread made me buy a new knife. I've used Sabatier Carbon for about 35 years now, (so I guess I should post them in the end of life purchase thread), but they don't have a thin vegetable cleaver. Saw this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.04.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	1362 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	348973 from https://bernalcutlery.com/collection...hand-forged-ca
    But bought a $7 Winco KC-101 to see if I'll really use the design.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have a cheap Chinese cleaver that came with the wok my mother bought me as a house warming gift 40 years ago. It stays very sharp. Unfortunately it doesn't get much use--just slicing frozen ginger. I don't buy whole chickens and other stuff that needs to be broken down. Maybe I should. And if I do need to break something down--like a turkey--I prefer anatomical dissection to the brute force of a cleaver.

Can't anatomically remove the spine from a chicken or a turkey, goat. Gotta get through those ribs with some good old fashioned downward force.

On tv I've seen it done with kitchen shears but I can't condone that sort of behavior in my house. I mean, come on, I've got kids watching. What kind of example am I gonna set for the progeny, delicately using kitchen shears to the spatchcock the t-day bird? You know as well as I do that they don't just want the steak, they want the sizzle.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I once raised a turkey that was too big to fit in the oven. We used a battery operated sawzall to cut the spine out then cooked each half on its own Weber kettle.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Chef’s knives?

^^^^love it. Brutal.

Holy shit. Knife fights in tgr. Only read the first page. Save your money. I am a recovering professional chef.

As has been mentioned, keep it sharp and honed. Way more important than brand of knife. Go to a shop. Find the right tool for her. How it feels in your hand is also way more important than brand. It should feel balanced and easily gripped.

I’ve got a mixed set of Henkles and Wusthof and some cheapo brands. All work great for their intended purpose. Some of my cheap knives have failed over the years, but they were cheap, so no big loss.