Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Chef’s knives?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2561.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	349079

I have the infamous “henkels international” in the 8” I think it’s like 60 dollars. It’s fine as a big chefs knife. I know it is not in the same class as the ones in your budget but it’s a very nice tool. it’s 15 years old and it holds an edge quite well. Nice balance. Hard to justify any upgrade.

It’s also big and heavy. Like a chefs knife should be.

That is why it now lives in the drawer. I use the other two there much much more. The wusthof is probably a bit more expensive of a knife and the other is surely cheaper (I think).

I’d personally rather have a fine version of the other two over the chef’s just based on time in hand. It’s rare I need to chop 15 pounds of carrots which is what that big chefs is great at.

That said, my ex ran a kitchen store and one of the knives she bought for her new place I only used a couple of times was a high end 8” wusthof chefs and it handled much more nicely than the Spanish henkels so there’s that too. Felt less clunky with similar weight, somehow, may have been imagined but damn that was a nice knife.

Hard to go wrong with a nice knife!! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I once raised a turkey that was too big to fit in the oven. We used a battery operated sawzall to cut the spine out then cooked each half on its own Weber kettle.
    Hi powered spatchcock!!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Just was cooking and thought of this thread.: Zwilling Pro. Great knife. Be warned, this knife cost me 13 stitches

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	349094
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Can't anatomically remove the spine from a chicken or a turkey, goat. Gotta get through those ribs with some good old fashioned downward force.

On tv I've seen it done with kitchen shears but I can't condone that sort of behavior in my house. I mean, come on, I've got kids watching. What kind of example am I gonna set for the progeny, delicately using kitchen shears to the spatchcock the t-day bird? You know as well as I do that they don't just want the steak, they want the sizzle.
    My answer to dismembering a turkey--besides removing the drumsticks which I do with a boning knife--was to buy a pot big enough for a whole turkey and make soup with what's left after most of the meat has been sliced off.

Ate dinner at Zuni in SF once. They have an open kitchen. They were serving a lot of roasted Cornish game hens. The asst chef was splitting them in two by smashing a cleaver with a mallet, rather than just swinging the cleaver. Seemed a lot more precise. If I ever decide to serve people half a Cornish game hen I'll get out my cleaver and a mallet. (A maul might be overkill.)

Never.

Depending on where you live, maybe there's a blacksmith offering a knife making class. I made this. Best knife I own. 2.5 days of instruction and the knife to take home for 400 or 450, can't remember.

Would I pay 450 for the knife? No. You can buy them forged by the pro for just over 200, but considering the experience, it's a steal.

All these knives without bolsters is just tearing my middle finger apart.

And FWIW IMO French pattern > German pattern but I think the market has made my feelings moot.

Chef’s knives?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Depending on where you live, maybe there's a blacksmith offering a knife making class. I made this. Best knife I own. 2.5 days of instruction and the knife to take home for 400 or 450, can't remember.

Would I pay 450 for the knife? No. You can buy them forged by the pro for just over 200, but considering the experience, it's a steal.

That’s awesome. Talked to a guy at the local craft fair that does classes, but his knives and class are 2.5x the prices you list. Just couldn’t justify it.

Mind if I ask who did your class?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Bridgetown forge in pdx.

Anyone have recommendations for carbon (non-stainless) chefs knife? Looks like Korin has some good reasonably priced ones that have a 62 hrc. Would be sick to get into the mid 60s without spending a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What's your upper price point?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Not necessarily "chef's Knives" but I have a few nice Kyocera Ceramic knives and those are SHARP as hell. After 10 yrs still haven't needed to take advantage of their free sharpening offer. They have some higher end Santuko knives.

Chef’s knives?

I’m here to vote for a Global Santoku.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What's your upper price point?
    I’d like to keep it under $200, $250 max. The Korin is $130 delivered with their 20% off going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

so who uses the magnetic knife holder strips ?

if you run out of wall to screw them up on, I got em on the bottoms of my kitchen cabinets so they hold the knives horizontaly and you can't see them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Town Cutler has a good sale going.

yup. got a couple feet worth. That's a great idea to mount them that way.

One of the things I most pat myself on the back for in life was having a 2' long slit next to the wall cast into my concrete countertops 20 years ago for knife storage.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

if you run out of wall to screw them up on, I got em on the bottoms of my kitchen cabinets so they hold the knives horizontaly and you can't see them
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Yeah, no
    that sounds like a slice waiting to happen

We don't worry up here cuz we got universal health care but If you can't operate a magnetic knife strip without cutting yerself you should employ an illegal to do all the cutting for you

the strip one on the wall is a nicer looking wooden strip purpose-made to mount in a kitchen but if you put a couple up under the cabinets no one will see them so instead of buying the purty ones I got some tool strips from princess auto

We don't worry up here cuz we got universal health care but If you can't operate a magnetic knife strip without cutting yerself you should employ an illegal to do all the cutting for you

the strip one on the wall is a nicer looking wooden strip purpose-made to mount in a kitchen but if you put a couple up under the cabinets no one will see them so instead of buying the purty ones I got some tool strips from princess auto
    quoted for doubling down on stupidity
    not just for the blind knife grab, but for “employ an illegal” bs too

i’d like to think you’re better than that

You probably wana be looking at whatever you are picking up, while you are looking with both eyes see if you can find a sense of humor in that cutlery drawer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-25-2020 at 05:42 PM.

I built a 2 inch thick maple counter top with slits in the back for my knives. Takes up less room than a knife block. One hint with knife blocks or my cutting board is to slide the knife back in with the blunt edge toward you so the cutting edge isn't dulled sliding it into the block.

You probably wana be looking at whatever you are picking up, while you are looking with both eyes see if you can find a sense of humor in that cutlery drawer
    I’m a little tightly wound on the immigration shit these past few years...
    My apologies

Yup. Wouldn’t store them any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA