Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Name:  IMG_2808.JPG
Views: 1065
Size:  27.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Yup. Wouldn’t store them any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We just remodeled our kitchen and wifey talked me into storing the knives in a drawer holder. We've always had them on a bar so I was seriously skeptical, but surprisingly to me I like it.

Fyi Benchmade just re-released their "table knives.". Assuming they're the same as my old set, they're very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I’m a little tightly wound on the immigration shit these past few years...
    My apologies
    hey no worries man, this is TGR

I have seen it written that without all the illegal kitchen chefs & workers in America restaurants could not run, Anthony Bourdain wrote about latino's in the kitchen, the quote i seen said something like the kitchen was is too brutal for white people
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    hey no worries man, this is TGR

I have seen it written that without all the illegal kitchen chefs & workers in America restaurants could not run, Anthony Bourdain wrote about latino's in the kitchen, the quote i seen said something like the kitchen was is too brutal for white people
    There's actually a lot of truth to that. However, here's a funny anecdote about that. Wife was a server at a really nice restaurant up until recently. ICE apparently did a "raid" on them and they got busted because yeah, like half the kitchen was illegal. BUT, there was a happy ending. They didn't deport anyone, the whole debacle forced the (very rich) owner to haul ass to sponsor all their work visas, got some hot shot immigration lawyers involved, and boom. All magically squared away somehow. Dude realized he would be SCREWED if he lost half his kitchen like that, so it at least lit a fire under his ass to help his staff out like that. Everyone got to stay thankfully. Good crew. Badass cooks. Downright hilarious and totally un-PC back there.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    This thread made me buy a new knife. I've used Sabatier Carbon for about 35 years now, (so I guess I should post them in the end of life purchase thread), but they don't have a thin vegetable cleaver. Saw this:
    Attachment 348973 from https://bernalcutlery.com/collection...hand-forged-ca
    But bought a $7 Winco KC-101 to see if I'll really use the design.
    What appears to be some really solid deals on that site.

cool vintage stuff at nice price points. fun to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Global was popular in England when I got married. I lost about 1/3 of the knives in the divorce. I’d still like to add a heavy Euro-style chef knife and a carving fork. And a cleaver. My OCD wants them all to match, but I’m not paying what Global wants for their cleaver.

We have a Cutco serrated utility knife that I think my mom found at a garage sale. It lives in the utensil caddy in the drying rack, and it’s my fiancé’s go-to knife.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    There's actually a lot of truth to that. However, here's a funny anecdote about that. Wife was a server at a really nice restaurant up until recently. ICE apparently did a "raid" on them and they got busted because yeah, like half the kitchen was illegal. BUT, there was a happy ending. They didn't deport anyone, the whole debacle forced the (very rich) owner to haul ass to sponsor all their work visas, got some hot shot immigration lawyers involved, and boom. All magically squared away somehow. Dude realized he would be SCREWED if he lost half his kitchen like that, so it at least lit a fire under his ass to help his staff out like that. Everyone got to stay thankfully. Good crew. Badass cooks. Downright hilarious and totally un-PC back there.

Anthony Bourdain said something like " its really hot, heavily tatted latino's are listening to spanish rap cranked to 11 and working their butt's off, the average kitchen wannabe couldn't cut it " ( knife pun intended )

I pictured the guy cooking a really nice meal in an expensive restaurant as someone different
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-26-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Global was popular in England when I got married. I lost about 1/3 of the knives in the divorce.
    actualy what happened is she left 1/6th of her knives, its all in how you spin it and remember if the average married dude is telling you how much he owns, he only owns half of it ... barring a great pre-nup

Didn’t read any of the thread. But used to be a chef and always liked the wusthof pro chef knives. Easy to keep sharp and cheap. Still have 2 and use them way more than the Henkels I own. Also restaurant chefs don’t use the fancy pants knives, maybe some sushi chefs. But in general there’s way too much going on in a kitchen to worry about keeping fancy expensive knives in good condition. Restaurant chefs burn through gear (knives, pans, pots) like skiers burn through skis in low tide conditions. Fancy knives are for showing off $.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

They also have sharpening services stopping by regularly.

Sharpening service? Are they going to have some other dude fuck their wives, too?

We always sharpened our own knives.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Sharpening service? Are they going to have some other dude fuck their wives, too?

We always sharpened our own knives.
    I only do the hot ones
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Town Cutler has a good sale going.
    TR on any of their knives? Curious if they're good tools or just pretty jewels? Thanks

^No. I have only emailed them a couple of times with quality responses. The paring knives with the Mexican Blanket handle are what I am looking at for a few gifts. Reviews I have seen are good, and Nitro V is plenty for the recipients of these knives. I do know the makers of the micarta for the handle make an excellent product (GL hansen).

Magnetic Strip. Yes.

^^^ I also have that Chinese cleaver.... like many of us probably do. It came in handy for spatchcocking.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^^ I also have that Chinese cleaver.... like many of us probably do. It came in handy for spatchcocking.
    Hard left, or one in?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Hard left, or one in?
    One in is the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    this

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's this one.
    https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html

I'm pretty impressed with the quality for that price point. I still have to remind the wife that it needs to be cleaned and dried immediately. I bought it with the intention of using it as a vegetable cleaver, but I still find myself wanting something that isn't as tall.

Mine's way less fancy, or maybe the same thing???? Acquired at an Asian restaurant supply place for something around $20. I don't use it much, but it's nice to have around sometimes.

Restaurant supply stores are a good place to get decent quality no name stuff at a good price.

Yet another great use for the ol' cleaver. Great tutorial: