Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558

    New touring ski advise

    Looking for a new touring ski and have somewhat narrowed it down to the following:

    Moment wildcat tour 108
    Moment deathwish tour
    On3p woodsman tour 108
    on3p BG tour 108
    4frnt Raven
    ???

    Im 5'9 165lbs ex racer. I love the nordica enforcer 110's , blizzard bonified, old gotomas, 4frnt ehps. original LP's

    I am looking for an all around playfulish charger ski that is at home in powder, can handle high speed corn carving and will work in steep chutes and couloirs with variable snow. Im basically looking for a ski that will work from December to May in Montana. Will be mounted with tech binding TBD What would you pick? Suggestions?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by MTslackcountry; 11-18-2020 at 06:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    81
    I personally steer away from a full rockered ski like the Raven, even though it gets stellar reviews.

    Blister seems to really like to SD104

    I'm on a pair of 4FRNT Kye 110s for touring, they're pretty stable at speed and not overly heavy. However since that ski isn't available anymore, and after talking to the folks at WNDR Alpine, the Intention 110 would seem to be the latest incarnation from Sterbenz of the Kye. As such, when it's time for a replacement I'll probably be ordering those.

    Are you going to be new to touring, or just looking for a new setup?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I personally steer away from a full rockered ski like the Raven, even though it gets stellar reviews.

    Blister seems to really like to SD104

    I'm on a pair of 4FRNT Kye 110s for touring, they're pretty stable at speed and not overly heavy. However since that ski isn't available anymore, and after talking to the folks at WNDR Alpine, the Intention 110 would seem to be the latest incarnation from Sterbenz of the Kye. As such, when it's time for a replacement I'll probably be ordering those.

    Are you going to be new to touring, or just looking for a new setup?
    New setup. Been touring for 15 years

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    New setup. Been touring for 15 years
    I re-read through some of the blister reviews, and it sounds like that Intention 110 may be the ticket. Call those guys up, surprisingly eager to talk to idiots like me on the phone.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livingston, MT
    Posts
    1,246
    Had ravens, sold them. Never really bonded with them. Had Meridian Tours, really fun ski, more what I had hoped the Ravens would be like. Last season replaced the Meridian Tours with WC 108 tour. The WC 108 tour reminded me of first skiing Bibbys years ago for the first time. No learning curve, just felt money from the first turn on. Very versatile IMO, skied them in everything from deep to hardback to variable. One of the better shit snow touring skis Iíve had. Perfect power to weight for my uses. I ski them on TLT 6s most of the time. Canít say enough good about them. Have 3 other friends all on the same ski and everyone is saying they will ski them until they die (the skis!).


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I re-read through some of the blister reviews, and it sounds like that Intention 110 may be the ticket. Call those guys up, surprisingly eager to talk to idiots like me on the phone.
    Thanks these skis are now in the running

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Had ravens, sold them. Never really bonded with them. Had Meridian Tours, really fun ski, more what I had hoped the Ravens would be like. Last season replaced the Meridian Tours with WC 108 tour. The WC 108 tour reminded me of first skiing Bibbys years ago for the first time. No learning curve, just felt money from the first turn on. Very versatile IMO, skied them in everything from deep to hardback to variable. One of the better shit snow touring skis I’ve had. Perfect power to weight for my uses. I ski them on TLT 6s most of the time. Can’t say enough good about them. Have 3 other friends all on the same ski and everyone is saying they will ski them until they die (the skis!).


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks for the response. What size are you on? Im torn between the 184 and 190. Do they ski short?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rossland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    Thanks for the response. What size are you on? Im torn between the 184 and 190. Do they ski short?
    I'm 5'8", 160lbs on the 190. They ski short.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    I'm 5'8", 160lbs on the 190. They ski short.
    whats the terrain like where you ski? Do you feel you could get along with the 184 where you ski?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rossland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    whats the terrain like where you ski? Do you feel you could get along with the 184 where you ski?
    The Kootenays so pretty steep, deep, and treed. I like my skis on the longer side so I wouldn't downsize personally, they're not a demanding ski in the slightest.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,034
    I've got a buddy here who just got both WNDR's set up with Kingpins. No major tours so far, but he's skied a few runs and likes them a lot.

    Seems like you're pretty set on the more playful crowd, but a Corvus Freebird or Faction Agent 3.0 could be thrown into the less-playful end of the mix.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,710
    So if you like the Nordica Enforcer 110, you might not like anything on that list. I can't really speak for the moment skis, but ON3P skis typically have long sidecuts and very little camber, they will feel like a cadillac compared to the enforcer being a rally car.

    that being said, the ON3Ps do ski well if you like them.

    Since you're in MT, I've got a few skis in Bozeman I could sell really cheap if you wanted to consider a few other options. Send me a DM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livingston, MT
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    Thanks for the response. What size are you on? Im torn between the 184 and 190. Do they ski short?
    I guess Iím an outlier, 184 for touring, less weight, quicker in all the super janky approach/egress that are typical of touring in MT. 6í1Ē, 175 for reference. If you ski a lot of big open terrain, I would be more inclined to go 190. Never regretted 184.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    558
    Thanks Hick. Pretty sure Im pulling the trigger on 184's today

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,965
    I skied the Woodsman on a demo day and I found it too turny for me. Not hooky or unstable, and it had great swing weight, but even moving the mount back 2cm, I would try to slip and it would just turn. Kind of annoying, especially in moguls. Perhaps a better pilot than me could do better, but it has a lot of tail, and wasn't what I was expecting first run of the morning.
    I guess if you're bushwhacking a lot, it wouldn't be so bad, but I much preferred the longer sidecut of the the Wren. But fuck is that one heavy.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Had ravens, sold them. Never really bonded with them. Had Meridian Tours, really fun ski, more what I had hoped the Ravens would be like. Last season replaced the Meridian Tours with WC 108 tour. The WC 108 tour reminded me of first skiing Bibbys years ago for the first time. No learning curve, just felt money from the first turn on. Very versatile IMO, skied them in everything from deep to hardback to variable. One of the better shit snow touring skis I’ve had. Perfect power to weight for my uses. I ski them on TLT 6s most of the time. Can’t say enough good about them. Have 3 other friends all on the same ski and everyone is saying they will ski them until they die (the skis!).


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This post makes me VERY happy. Bibbys have been my all-time fave resort ski. But in this touring slot, I've gone through Ravens, Backland 107s, Lowdown 102s, and Praxis BCs. The BCs were the best...but I now have a pair of 190 WC 108 tours inbound. Very psyched. Thanks for posting up.

    For reference, I also had a pair of Bibby Tours back when they were called the Exit Worlds. Great skis. But I always thought the design would work best for touring in a 110ish width. And here we are! A Praxis Protest replaced the Exit World in the pow touring slot...and I could not be more pleased with that choice.

    PS, the WNDR's "full rocker" Intention 110 looks awesome too. I would love to try, but I know and love Bibby shape already.
    sproing!

    FS: Scarpa Maestrale RS 2, size 29. Cheep! https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...RS-2-0-size-29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •