Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2020-2021, Let the Season Begin

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    How Mitchell didnt tell Shaq to fuck off is beyond me. You can tell he wanted to. And I am with Woody the game against the Warriors is a big game, despite the records and how they are playing the Warriors are still viewed as part of the NBA elite, and the Jazz are still seen as not having what it takes, as Shaq said to Mitchell.
    Shaq needs to just go away.....actually, I'd be fine with getting rid of that entire TNT/NBA team.

I'm so tired of former NBA players shitting on the current generation. It's really getting old.

10 mins of Nico Mannion - Opponents’ Human Victory Cigar

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    10 mins of Nico Mannion - Opponents’ Human Victory Cigar
    +21!

Once again the headlines are all about a single player on the Jazz's opponent " Austin Rivers goes off for Knicks!" as Jazz quietly win 9th straight.
    5 players in double figures scoring ( Mitchell wasnt one of them but did grab a season-high eight rebounds.) Stifle tower goes for 18 points, 19 rebounds and four blocked shots.

^^^
    That seems to be a uniquely NBA thing, big headlines about star player despite such player’s team taking the L.
    I still call it The Jake.

It's because the NBA knows a huge number of people watch highlights instead of the games. It's a marketing funnel.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm so tired of former NBA players shitting on the current generation. It's really getting old.
    Is there a "like" button for this?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ^^^
    That seems to be a uniquely NBA thing, big headlines about star player despite such player’s team taking the L.
    doesnt help I get a lot of my NBA news from twitter...

But couldnt be more excited to have mitchel not even top 5 scorer in a game and we win. keep it going, Pisotns next week should be fun and hopefully Bob stops in to talk smack in the build up

typical Jazz tho, best team we have had since Stockton days and Lebron and the lakers just sitting there looking to knock us out.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Once again the headlines are all about a single player on the Jazz's opponent " Austin Rivers goes off for Knicks!" as Jazz quietly win 9th straight.
    Pretty pair for the course throughout the Jazz's history, or any small market team for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ^^^
    wait is Austin Rivers a star?! I thought he was a role player last i checked.

On Sunday the Celtics beat the Cavs 141-103. The only reference to the game on the ESPN home page was a video of JaVale McGee (of the Cavs) dunking. I'm sure ESPN and the other big players use algorithms to determine what it is we see. And vapid sensationalism sells. Many of the best sports writers these days are writing for pennies on regional blogs.

So.... who's the MVP so far? Jokic or Embiid?

(Sorry Lakers fans, but if you said Curry and KD cancelled each other out the past few years, you have to apply the same logic to LeBron and AD)

The Australian Stphen Curry out here draining 3s and throwing lob passes

So.... who's the MVP so far? Jokic or Embiid?

(Sorry Lakers fans, but if you said Curry and KD cancelled each other out the past few years, you have to apply the same logic to LeBron and AD)
    Embiid is playing amazing this season so far.

Jokic is close to averaging a triple double, but he's kinda boring to watch so I just don't see him getting the votes. But damn, he's having a hell of a season.

I think LeBron is the front runner. He is having a stellar season and is much more involved in the offense than AD. That said, I wouldn't expect LeBron to win the MVP, he's gotten snubbed so many times in his career because he's already won it (like that should matter). He could and should have more than 4 MVP awards by now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure which year LeBron should have won it when he didn’t. He was better than Westbrook that one year but so was Harden. Not really seeing any obvious snub years like what happened with MJ.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Fukk lebron with that cheap shot on embiid last night. Nice win.

^^ Any other player gets a flagrant 2 for that. He's not even making the slightest attempt for the ball.

I’m not sure which year LeBron should have won it when he didn’t. He was better than Westbrook that one year but so was Harden. Not really seeing any obvious snub years like what happened with MJ.
    Standard thought is there were 2 he should of received:
    Derrick Rose over LeBron James (2010-11)
    Rose stats: 25 points, 4.1 rebounds, 7.7 assists,s
    James stats: 26.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, 7.0 assists,

Kobe Bryant over LeBron James (2007-08)
    Bryant stats: 28.3 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.4 assists,
    James stats: 30.0 points, 7.9 rebounds, 7.2 assists

AND
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mailman.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	360159

James Wiseman is the real deal. In 2-3 years, he will be a perennial all-star. Kid has the skills. He is smart and mature for 19 yo. He will only get bigger, stronger and more skilled. Very excited about him.

In 2011 Rose's Bulls had 62 wins and were ahead of LeBron and the Heat. And LeBron was playing with both Wade and Bosh. Rose deserved that MVP.

In 2008 LeBron and the Cavs only won 45 games in a historically weak Eastern Conference. If they were in the West, they would have been the 10th seed (without even adjusting for a more difficult schedule). Kobe's Lakers won 57 games. Yeah, Kobe deserved it over him.

MVP is as much a beauty contest with a preference for a new winner each season as it is a 'scoring' or whatever contest. If you just go by lines in the box score then it's Lebron. Go by team wins or whatever then it's Rose and Kobe. If you actually watched what happened in 2011, LeBron destroyed the Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals. And even if you ignore Lebron's huge 2008 statistical season an eye test shows James significantly outplayed both Kobe (and 2011 Rose) on the defensive end of the court.

Oh did you just cite playoff results in a discussion about a regular season award?

And no, I watched plenty of those games in 2007-08 and he did not outplay Kobe. And I'm not a Kobe fan at all. 45 wins in one of the weakest conferences of all time isn't enough. There was a team that was 8 games under .500 and they made the playoffs! The Celtics had 66 wins.

LeBron didn't even finish 2nd in the voting, he was 4th. http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nba/id/3384506

He only got ONE first place vote, surely from one of the Cavs' local writers.

Wait, did you just say Kobe was the MVP even though he was by far on the most talented team in the league but later on Lebron was not the MVP because he was on the more talented team?

By the way, nothing in my post above was intended as a serious take. It was a riff on your eye test matters more than stats because the stats don't account for defense (some do, some don't, the stats discussed on the previous do).

I do, however, stand by the argument regular season MVP, defensive player of the year, etc. are as much beauty contests with a preference for a new winner each season as much as it is a 'scoring' or whatever contest.

Look, can we all just accept that MVP isn't the "best player in the league" award, or the "best stats that year" award? We all know it isn't, right?

Once you accept that, you can argue about who is more valuable or whatever, but truthfully, it's a combo of stats, quality of team (ie wins, because it's really hard to win MVP on a team that doesn't win games, even if you deserve the award), and narrative. Narrative has no accepted definition, but is the explanation for why the voters don't favor repeat winners that often, and certainly don't just give it to the best player.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Wait, did you just say Kobe was the MVP even though he was by far on the most talented team in the league but later on Lebron was not the MVP because he was on the more talented team?
    heh, that's pretty funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy