Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I actually expect Gordon to earn that money at least some of the time. His stats were depressed by playing 4th fiddle with the Celtics. Still, when he's 34 and has suffered a few more injuries and is pulling $30M for a shitty team, the contract will look really bad.

And ultimately, whether he earns that money or not, the Hornets are not going to be a winning team. That's the part that always surprises me.
    He's only 30.

Guess he doesn't care about winning.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Blazers (re)acquire Enes Kanter from Boston in a three-way deal that sends Mario Hezonja to Memphis. This also means that Whiteside is probably gone.

Hell yes. I don't think anyone is sad to see 'Rio go. That experiment failed, unfortunately. Once the Rose Garden is full, there's going to be a roar when Enes checks in for his first stint.

RIP CITY
    I think Kanter was extremely underrated when he played for us. I love this pick up. Dude has enough enforcer in him to make up for Zach and Nurk and then some. Go Zers!

Melo back to the Blazers. I like it. Skinny Melo was pretty deadly in the bubble.

Also, Michael Jordan is an idiot.

Kanter gets a bad rap. He isn't suited for playoff basketball, sure. But during the regular season he's a beast in the low post and on the boards, and he always plays hard. And seems like a good locker room guy (or at least, he always seems engaged and supportive on the bench).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Guess he doesn't care about winning.
    I am always struck by guys who have made shittons of money already and just go for the biggest offer. I mean, sure, Charlotte offered way more, but you also know that you're just not going to win there. Maybe your stats are a little better, but don't you like making the playoffs and winning? I mean, isn't $20 million a year, or $25 million, good enough? Guess we know that isn't the case for Gordon and some other guys.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Melo back to the Blazers. I like it. Skinny Melo was pretty deadly in the bubble.
    At league minimum to boot. If he can continue playing like last season that's an excellent value.

I'm liking this team.

Tristan Thompson to the Celtics. Meh. But ok I guess, just an overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    At league minimum to boot. If he can continue playing like last season that's an excellent value.

I'm liking this team.
    Me too. I really like the collective personality. Lots of chips on shoulders, from Dame to Melo to Kanter. You've got Nurk's finesse and Kanter's physicality back again. Our guards are obviously proven, bigs are better than ever and finally, dare I say.... Wings! Real wings who play defense!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Uh why? Clown + clown = circus.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    We'll see but the guy seemed to be mentally good last year, and accepted coming off the bench too. 5-10 years ago I'm with ya though. Possibly matured?? Plus only a 1 year deal makes it pretty safe.

I am always struck by guys who have made shittons of money already and just go for the biggest offer. I mean, sure, Charlotte offered way more, but you also know that you're just not going to win there. Maybe your stats are a little better, but don't you like making the playoffs and winning? I mean, isn't $20 million a year, or $25 million, good enough? Guess we know that isn't the case for Gordon and some other guys.
    This assumption always baffles me. That is, this false illusion that players care more about winning than getting paid. Most players have about 10 years to make their money and then their career is over. I think 95% of players would choose getting paid over winning and that's the smart choice, and the other 5% are the most elite athletes so they're already getting paid and are able to better dictate where they end up. I get their competitive drive got them there but I'd imagine most realize how hard it is to win a championship so why not get paid?

Good for Hayward.

D Mitchell gets max extension with the Jazz. Is he worth the sheckles?

NBA 2020-2021, Let the Season Begin

Nope but hopefully they don’t max/super max Gobert too.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    This assumption always baffles me. That is, this false illusion that players care more about winning than getting paid. Most players have about 10 years to make their money and then their career is over. I think 95% of players would choose getting paid over winning and that's the smart choice, and the other 5% are the most elite athletes so they're already getting paid and are able to better dictate where they end up. I get their competitive drive got them there but I'd imagine most realize how hard it is to win a championship so why not get paid?

Good for Hayward.
    I'm with you. I don't totally understand how people expect athletes to give up more money than most of us will ever make in our lives to play for a more successful team. And it's not like Boston is exactly a lock for title in the next four years (this contract length). So most likely he would be giving up tens of millions for a few extra playoff appearances.

Plus, on Boston he's going to remain a fourth option behind Tatum, Kemba, and Brown. On Charlotte he'll be back to being a first/second option. Wanting to be a prime reason for winning/losing is something that appeals to competitive people in addition to overall record. So getting to be a first option + 10 million extra dollars vs. a fourth option and more guaranteed playoff appearances seems pretty understandable for a guy who's 30.

Good for Hayward.
    If we're talking fringe players, sure. But Hayward has already banked maybe $200 million in his career, and while the extra $30 million (arbitrarily choosing $30m as the difference) is obviously big, the difference between, say, $290 million versus $320 million in career earnings doesn't seem much to me.

Happiness is important, so if being in Charlotte earning more money and being a bigger guy on the team makes him happier, more power to him. I just think some people are conditioned to take the most money, and I'm not. I'll choose the job that gives me more satisfaction over the one that pays the best. :shrug:

Watch the Hawks......

It's possible Hayward's only other option was the Knicks. We don't know if the Pacers and Celtics were anywhere near a sign and trade. It could be Ainge had zero interest in trading for Turner once he was able to sign Thompson who costs half as much and plays better D. If the Pacers wouldn't part with Harris or Holliday Ainge may have just said no thanks.

But if the Pacers (his hometown team) were an option and offering $25 million as rumored, choosing Charlotte is odd.

I have no Ill will toward the guy even though he was a bust in Boston, but I would sure as hell give up some cash to play for a solid team in my home State rather than okay for one of the worst organization a in the league.

Edit: Sounds like this may have been the case. Boston and Indy couldn't swing a deal and Boston was never interested in paying Hayward. He chose between the Knicks and Hornets. In typical Hornets fashion they outbid the Knicks by an absurd amount. Last year they paid a combined $77 million to:

Nicolas Batum
    Terry Rosier
    Bismack Biyombo
    Cody Zeller

I'm sure they'll never regret that Hayward deal...
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 11-22-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Tatum got paid.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Tatum got paid.
    Nice.

I think mitchell is worth it. Dudes a baller. Plus it's not like Utah is a hot destination for free agents. The jazz basically have to build through the draft and hope they can get those players to sign on after their rookie contracts.

Stoked to have Mitchell, Royce, Clarkson and Favors back.

I think mitchell is worth it. Dudes a baller. Plus it's not like Utah is a hot destination for free agents. The jazz basically have to build through the draft and hope they can get those players to sign on after their rookie contracts.

Stoked to have Mitchell, Royce, Clarkson and Favors back.
    I honestly had no opinion. I know he's good but am not super familiar with him.

I’d say Atlanta and Portland are winning the off season so far. We’ll see how it translates.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Curious as to why he wouldnt be worth it? The Jazz would have been sitting at home jockeying for lottery draft positions this year without him....
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I think Kanter was extremely underrated when he played for us. I love this pick up. Dude has enough enforcer in him to make up for Zach and Nurk and then some. Go Blazers!
    I totally agree. Kanter was as important as the rest of the team in our run to the WCF last year. I'm stoked to have him back and this time, with repaired shoulders.

Also, FIFY

Kanter gets a bad rap. He isn't suited for playoff basketball, sure. But during the regular season he's a beast in the low post and on the boards, and he always plays hard. And seems like a good locker room guy (or at least, he always seems engaged and supportive on the bench).
    He was great for the Blazers in the playoffs last year as he filled in for an injured Nurkic, and all this with a blown-out shoulder.

I honestly had no opinion. I know he's good but am not super familiar with him.
    Mitchell is a baller. Good on the Jazz for picking him up. The downside is that he'll give plenty of teams fits in the Western Conference. And as someone stated earlier, Utah (much like Portland) isn't a free-agent destination, so locking a key player for a solid core is critical. Smart for the Jazz to lock him down.

The whole winning vs. contract money situation is a little more complicated. Shoe money and other endorsements are a big deal and definitely factor into that equation for some players. However, less so for a guy like Hayward - I don't see kids buying shoes with his name on them.

On another note, I think the Suns are going to be fun to watch this year. They've made some nice moves.

The Mitchell deal was a smart move for Utah, no doubt.

Preseason schedule being passed around Twitter.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/st...093179395?s=21