Click image for larger version. 

Name:	737BCF37-F480-4623-A58C-718D81D9A541.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	823.2 KB 
ID:	368867
    Two words for the Top today-Wind Rip!

Wow!!!

That is pretty nuts, even for Mammoth.

I just got in a quick late morning session south of the HB pier. The wind has had an effect here too, although in that case it is that the water was so cold I wished I had a hood on. The first duck dive was painful.

Thanks for those Philippe's shots on the last page. I was wondering if the storm did anything there. I have not skied Philippe's this year, in fact I have not skied it since sometime in lat 2019. I got a fair number of laps in there during the 18/19 season, but with the cancellation last year and not much snow this year I have avoided it.

Was there anywhere that was particularly good up top with that wind? I'm hoping it blew it all somewhere.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	737BCF37-F480-4623-A58C-718D81D9A541.jpg 
Size:	823.2 KB 
ID:	368867
    Two words for the Top today-Wind Rip!
    Woof. Saw the wind meter at >100mph out the NE last night. That sucks!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ I would add plan one day for lunch at the Outpost and grilled cheese sandwiches at the bottom of 13/14.

Avoid Chair 2/10 mid morning.

Chair 9/25 get early sun if it is spring conditions. 9 can be fun to hot lap. Not steep, but you can get some speed.

When the top is good 23 to Paranoids to Gondi to Climax to 23 is a fun thing.

Chair 22/ Mt Lincoln has a lot of fun terrain that feels most like Squaw to me. Especially the lift line side.

From the top of 22 you can see the corrals at Chair 5, 2, and 10 - which can be helpful when determining where to go from there if you are working your way to Main.

You can get to Main from top of Chair 9 or Chair 3. Hard to see on the trail map, but coming off 9 head straight across bottom of Daves behind 5 and toward 3. There is a cat track that brings you around to Center Bowl on 3. Easiest way to get to Main when 2/10 have lines.

If you like a quite spot, we always enjoy a lap down Wall Street, Lost in the Woods or what might be a terrain park Jibs n More when there is snow to build one. Just short groomers with some fun pitch, but I never see anyone on them.

Chair 5 is fun. Quick ride, moderate pitch, often has decent snow. Lower Dry Creek is fun off 5 and can do well with just a few inches of fresh if we have a small late season snow.

Mammoth is a load pf fun. I love Squaw, and especially Silvy, but it is a pain to negotiate from zone to zone. Mammoth connects much better with what feels like actual runs connect zones.

Enjoy.
    Thanks for all the good advice. If you ever need Squaw advice, I'll let you know. It connects well, depends on winds, weather, crowds.. IN general KT to Headwall, then back to KT, ha.
    The commander of time

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    And about the hot springs, I think that they're no longer a hidden gem, it's more like they're on everyone's list of "must do" things while in Mammoth. More often than not recently we have checked them out and left after seeing how busy they were. Pretty mellow scene, too, probably because of how popular they've become.

The last time we have seen nakedness in them was when we went in the shoulder season for some hikes in the Eastern Sierra and we stopped for a good soak after. A dude and a dudette got in the water, no clothes at all, relaxing their tired muscles in the hot water, enjoying the views of snow capped mountains around. It was glorious! (We were the only ones in the hot spring, we couldn't believe how lucky we were to have it for ourselves).
    We have been visiting the hot springs for 20 plus years, were aware of the nudity, that doesn't rally bother me. Just last time we were there at little hot creek, there was a bunch of young partier types, fun for adults, not a big deal. I just wasn't sure of ones that are better for tourist and families and ones more for locals.
    The commander of time

Also, where is a good easy snowshoe place for kids and old people? Is Convict Lake area good for that? Mammoth Pass?
    The commander of time

We took our kids snowshoeing at Convict and they had a blast. S side of the lake usually holds snow and you can go part way around the lake. N side is usually dry by now. So it's fine if you're just goofing off with small kids and not expecting to go significant distances. They'll love the view for sure. There's a chance that the path is already snow free this year, even on the S side so a backup option might be to go up to the lakes area (twin lakes, etc. closer to mammoth mtn.)

pic from 2019 -might be less snow now!

Name:	20190415_150459(0).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	368912

Also worth a drive up Lake Mary Road and a hike or snow shoe around Twin Lakes. Great view of the creat and the waterfall down from Mary. Quick afternoon type thing in spring.

Day 70 on skis this season and it ended up being a pretty decent day.

Name:	IMG_4650.jpg 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	368952
    Winds out of the N.E. last night hit cat 4 hurricane strength.

Name:	IMG_4648.jpg 
Size:	688.3 KB 
ID:	368954
    The effect on the snow in spots was hammer time. Daves.

Name:	IMG_4632.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	368956
    Climax. Neither of those looks real fun.

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	894.9 KB 
ID:	368958
    I did find a few good turns far skiers right of Climax in the Dry Creek area.

Name:	IMG_4640.jpg 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	368959
    After a run down to ch 9 I noticed that one of the head chutes looked doable, some place I haven't been this year.

Name:	IMG_4636.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	966.1 KB 
ID:	368960
    I traversed off the top of Daves and worked my way down the ridge.

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	368961
    Looking over the edge.

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	883.3 KB 
ID:	368962
    Looking back up. Good snow top to bottom.

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	668.5 KB 
ID:	368963
    Hanging out up top checking out the view. Visible in the distance was Arc Dome, 124 miles out into Nevada.

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	441.1 KB 
ID:	368964
    Just after noon the winds switched, and by 2:00 p.m. the skiing lit up off ch 23.

Name:	IMG_4643.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	368966
    Wipe Out after the winds switched to the SW. Probably the best skiing off the Top for the last month.

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	368967
    Wipe 1 from the chair. Clear those ripples and it was silky wind buff from there on. Good times.

I love that Head Chute you skied! Great shots of it.

I'm glad the snow ended up somewhere. That is a pretty brutal hammering. Those shots of Wipeout look great though. When I was there the Wipeouts were awesome, but the tops were not fun. It looks like that area has gotten a bit better.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by T-Boz View Post
    Also, where is a good easy snowshoe place for kids and old people? Is Convict Lake area good for that? Mammoth Pass?
    Main lodge to Minaret Vista. You can do it on the closed road, easiest, or the trail, much harder. Best views in Mammoth without a lift ride.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

As for hot springs, Hilltop and Wild Willie's are the one I see the most kids at, but I have seen Hilltop get a little wild. Pot, alcohol, nudity, but usually only late at night. Afternoon is usually pretty tame. Crab Cooker and Shepards tend to be less kid friendly. Little Hot Creek is usually the least crowded.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Main lodge to Minaret Vista. You can do it on the closed road, easiest, or the trail, much harder. Best views in Mammoth without a lift ride.
    Great recommendation here. So pretty out that way once you clear Road Runner

Another option is to rent your own with a camping spot at the Benton Hot Springs.
    https://www.bentonhotsprings.us/
    They have everything from a 15 person party tub to a 2 person wooden tub. They are drained and cleaned after each use with great views of the White mtns. Way more privacy than dealing with tons of millenials all trying to get their instagram shot.

Another option is to rent your own with a camping spot at the Benton Hot Springs.
    https://www.bentonhotsprings.us/
    They have everything from a 15 person party tub to a 2 person wooden tub. They are drained and cleaned after each use with great views of the White mtns. Way more privacy than dealing with tons of millenials all trying to get their instagram shot.
    The place looks cool, next time. Usually we just camp out on Antelope Valley road on BLM land, but with the mother in law this time. We are in a condo at the Ski and Racquet club near the Canyons Lodge? Is that place ok? It's close to the lifts. We have stayed in the village before too.
    The commander of time

The place looks cool, next time. Usually we just camp out on Antelope Valley road on BLM land, but with the mother in law this time. We are in a condo at the Ski and Racquet club near the Canyons Lodge? Is that place ok? It's close to the lifts. We have stayed in the village before too.

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1,001.9 KB 
ID:	369119
    No, not super close. It would be the equivalent of staying in Bishop, just under an hour drive. Something to check out on your way up or down sometime.

Winds were up today. Gusts over the top were 50+ mph. No gondi, but ch 23 was chugging away. Did a couple off the top then skied ch 22 mostly. Avis were on!

Name:	IMG_4666.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	369121
    Looking towards the Minarets from the top of 23.

Name:	IMG_4667.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	369122
    P1 had a narrow strip of good snow top to bottom.

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	369123
    My best Ansel Adams imitation.

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	369124
    Avis were the best skiing this afternoon in todays windy conditions.

Name:	IMG_4676.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	369125
    Random tele guy coming thru the choke avi 2.

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	369126
    Just stuck my head outside. White stuff is sticking on the roads by the CL. See what tomorrow brings.

Name:  25C6B2FD-C013-4BCB-9FFE-53C2FD120C07.jpeg
Views: 725
Size:  98.7 KB

If you are talking about Mammoth Ski and Racket Club, then you are within walking distance of lifts, chairs 8 and 17 are closest, 16 is a bit further away. Once you figure it out, you can just about ski back to the condo. I haven't stayed there in years, but it was nice back then. It is a short walk to the Blue Line bus that will drop you off at Canyon Lodge, or the Village and access to the rest of town on the buses. It is a short walk to the Alpinhof which a friend likes for happy hour, and I had a good dinner there many years ago, otherwise nearest dining options are at The Village. Once the lifts close you will be kind of away from things and it will be much quieter then the Village, which I greatly prefer.

I believe you can rent hot tubs at Benton even if you are not a guest, but not sure. Same if you drive down to Bishop and use Keough Hot Springs. There is a warm pool, private hot tubs and showers there with an old 30's movie star vibe to it since that is part of it's history. A bit run down since Greta Garbo's days.

iscariot

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

The year of the NE wind event. Current wind speeds 76 gusting to 87 out of the NNE. Temp is a pleasant 10 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The year of the NE wind event. Current wind speeds 76 gusting to 87 out of the NNE. Temp is a pleasant 10 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Uuuugh, those 8 days I was just up there had some pretty shite weather. Nice to be out on the patio, sunny, feels about 62 with a DIPA called Never Better in my hand. Life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

June was fun from 1-3:30 today. Spring.

Is the last day of the season at June still free?

No idea. That is cool. Bet they sell burgers that way.

Daves and runs off 23 were money today. My kid was super stoked on skiing his first Mammoth double. Wipeout 2 was really really good from top side entrance all the way to the bottom of the rocks, and one big turn to the right brought you under the lift for buff city. Felt like powder up top, with decent stuffing. 5 and 3 also skied nicely and felt like winter. 1 and 12 were a little more transitional, but wintery.

It is full on spring when we came in at 4 over on the Eagle side. Amazing seeing this place this time of year when it can be winter up top and north facing, but fully spring at the base. First time is a while that we headed out not early. Line at Eagle was not horrible at 10AM, but it was building. Might aim for a little earlier tomorrow and fuck around on canyon side runs early for fast low angled groomers and hit for things to soften up out of the base. Otherwise we hit it perfectly with a run from Lincoln down to 9 just softened perfectly once 50' off the top. Spun two on 9 and headed for Dave's. Top was the best.

Thanks Ottime! We'll be there the day after tomorrow, staying for a few days, and we were wondering how was the mountain skiing.

We also realized that we haven't stopped at June at all this year, so we may go there on Saturday and get some Tiger chips and beer from June Lake Brewing to go.

Skied great today. We kept skiing back and forth between winter buff and spring slush all day. Tried the backside and it was fine but decided to try again tomorrow when it’s warmer and less wind. Dave’s, Wipeots, Monument, Scottys were all great. Dry Creek (better later). Face of 5/ Sanctuary were great late in the day. Decent earlier. Subside groomers off Lincoln to 9 was good around noon. St Anton is fast. But best snow again was around 23. Lots of good winter chalk style snow off parts of 3/5. It is skiing well.

My kid loves skiing at June. We come from the north so it is on the way there and home. It works as we usually only have a few hours to ski on a travel day and June seems perfect for a few hours.

June has far superior views.

Name:	Image1617148949.636443.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	369769

Dave’s around 10:30AM

Name:	Image1617149045.173230.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	369770