Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Ott,

That's very clever of your son! We tend to start at Eagle or Canyon, we are on the yellow line bus, so we catch it in whichever direction it is going. Even if we end up at Canyon we will often take chair 8 up, then ski to chair 9. You can basically get everywhere on it.

I actually don't ski the backside much unless I'm going to hike Hemlock. I really should explore it a bit more.

We will be back up on Sunday, skiing until Thursday. I'm hoping it stays basically the same.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I've skied the chute skiers left of the 14 chair line. Its pretty sweet. Not this trip as I'm not sure if it goes.

We are mostly tourist, so going back there to check things out happens. We rarely find it good, other than the groomers. In February this year the bumps of upper Arriba were fun. We skied what I'd call the lower Hemlocks this past trip with good corn. Basically ski to Santiago Bowl, lake a few turns and traverse left around a corner. The Hemlocks drop from a above into a fairly steep ramp angles more westerly toward the chair 13 base. Mostly having fun poking around so we know our options if we ever show up on a powder day.

Years ago I was around in April and the backside was still open. The day before was a cold powder day, but the top did not open. I spun two laps on Climax, one on Hangmans and the line was getting long, so I took one down from behind the top station (Red Lakes or something it is called on the map) and had insane wind buff, but not steep until Santiago or Hemlocks, but so much fun and empty. Would take 14 to Paraniods to gondola base. And lap again, until the lines on 23 were down.

I'm just super stoked we finally realize that Mammoth is not too far to drive s long as we are there fro two full days. Makes it a great mid week vacation spot for us and rentals are way cheaper than Truckee or SLT even, let alone KW. And even if the snow is shit, there are so many options on the mountain and other things to do in the area. I'm just glad there is no major airport nearby.

I love that chute to skier's left of chair 14!

Unfortunately, it does not always fill-in. I don't know what it takes, honestly it is not always about how big the snow year is, I think it can have more to do with the way the winds tend to blow in a given year. I remember years where it filled in which were not massive snow-wise, but where it lined up nicely. I don't really have enough knowledge about the DNA of it to really know why it does some years and not in others, someone else on here might know. It is fun when it goes though.

One of my favorite approaches on a pow day is to deal with the gondi line and hit up Hangman's or Climax, down to 23, then off the back to hike Hemlocks, then chair 14 up to the Paranoids, then back down to the base gondi. This is typically after the initial rush, as Paranoids are my favorite spot on a pow day, unless they are wind affected. It is a nice line, and it gives you access to some good terrain.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Dos Pasos (the two chutes—I tend to call the skier’s left one No Pasos instead of its proper name—Dos Pasos South—because it rarely goes) are mostly dependent on wind direction.

Basically, if we get NE winds as part of a storm, they’ll fill in. We’ve had a lot of North wind this year and recent storms have been upslope orographic events that come from the East, so coverage has been pretty good back there. I’ve also seen some tracks coming through the Veg Chutes, which is a bit rare. Unfortunately, good coverage on those chutes typically means the wind has harmed the majority of our terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sad reminder of a tragic day 15 years ago (April 6, 2006)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617753437.578497.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	400.5 KB 
ID:	370647

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...volcanic-vent/

We had tons of fun these last days skiing in Mammoth!

Ottime, yeah, we have done the quick weekend trip thing too but for us the drive time / ski time ratio is not too favorable for that, totally agree that having at minimum two full days of skiing makes it worth it.

Yesterday was an interesting day. Strong winds from the morning, but sunny. The upper mountain was on wind hold. We stopped at the Mill for a quick bathroom and snack break around noon, and chair 1 was on wind hold, all the racers had moved to chair 2, Stump Alley, which we didn't notice until we were in line to get back up the mountain. Then chair 2 was placed on wind hold and there was a mad scramble to get to chair 10, Gold rush. I don't know why this made me laugh so much, to be in this crazy mess of skiers and snowboarders trying to reach the other line quickly. I guess in a way it felt like one of those silly races where you are hopping inside a burlap sack.

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look terrible, but this was on Monday and we had expected almost no lines.

Then it got cloudy and it snowed. First graupel, but later actual fluffy snow. Just a dusting, but still, it was fun to be skiing in a snowfall in April.

Leaving chair 9 after what were possibly our last laps of the season on it, since it may no longer be running when we get back in a few weeks. By then the snow had stopped but the clouds kept getting lower and lower.

Then the sun came out again, just in time to have a nice view of the mountain from the parking lot while having snacks and drinks.

Really fun times! Great spring skiing, short lift lines, and not crowded. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Dos Pasos (the two chutes—I tend to call the skier’s left one No Pasos instead of its proper name—Dos Pasos South—because it rarely goes) are mostly dependent on wind direction.

Basically, if we get NE winds as part of a storm, they’ll fill in. We’ve had a lot of North wind this year and recent storms have been upslope orographic events that come from the East, so coverage has been pretty good back there. I’ve also seen some tracks coming through the Veg Chutes, which is a bit rare. Unfortunately, good coverage on those chutes typically means the wind has harmed the majority of our terrain.

Thanks for the explanation.

That actually makes perfect sense, as I tend to remember the years when I have seen it fill-in as ones that were not necessarily epic. It's not a Varmits situation, where if Varmits fills in that means it is probably a good, or great season. In the years I have skied Mammoth I can't remember having Varmits get good in a non-big year, although I could certainly be wrong.

Varmits? Where is this secret place of glory?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    http://patrol.mammothmountain.com/At.../cornice.html#

Quote Originally Posted by Verde View Post
    Sad reminder of a tragic day 15 years ago (April 6, 2006) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617753437.578497.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	400.5 KB 
ID:	370647 https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...volcanic-vent/
    Thank you for the reminder. My wife met one of the ski patrollers who fell into the vent. She was camping with friends prior to a climb in the Eastern sierra, and he was with another group of climbers in the same campground.

Name:	hangmans 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	853.0 KB 
ID:	370813
    Center-Varmits Nest, flanked by Hangmans on the lookers left and MJB's on the looker right.
    Taken during the epic winter of 2016-2017.

Name:	IMG_4820.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	370815
    Varmit's this year. The difference, 400" of snow.

Check out this guys overhead Mammoth map.
    http://mickwest.com/mammoth/
    He's got some lines listed I've never heard of. "Veg Chutes" anyone?

Awesome shots as always ESS!

I can only remember skiing Varmit's in the really big years, like 10/11 and 16/17. I don't know if I skied it in 18/19, which was a very good season. It takes quite a bit of snow for it to fill-in.

I have never heard of Veg Chutes either.

Name:	Image1617927989.131452.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	370920
    Youngsters have been getting after it

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Awesome shots as always ESS!

I can only remember skiing Varmit's in the really big years, like 10/11 and 16/17. I don't know if I skied it in 18/19, which was a very good season. It takes quite a bit of snow for it to fill-in.

I have never heard of Veg Chutes either.
    From that overhead map shot it looks like it faces due south. Beg the veg gets burned more often than not.

Just do some dry tooling . Kinda like early season entry into the noids.

Has mammoth made any announcements about June? Teen and I were brainstorming post finals trip for late spring lift riding.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

June month or mountain?

I emailed them and they said they have no idea. Weather dependent. Etc. about the month.

June month or mountain?

I emailed them and they said they have no idea. Weather dependent. Etc. about the month.
    Thanks. Yes, month of June.

We are headed up for Memorial Day w/e and are thinking about sticking around that next week. But only if the lifts are spinning. Hoping 5 is still spinning for the w/e.

They said wait and see before booking.

Hoping for that last April run of snow. And cold.

My best guess is they close on Memorial Day, but I don’t have any special information

Will be swooping in to Mammoth tmrw (Saturday) with family and dog and homies in tow. Can't wait!

Should be back the following weekend too.

I'll be there to shred Veg Chutes (never seen that filled in) and Pressure Drop (new to me) and VarmiNt's Nest (as in rodentiae).
    sproing!

^^^Enjoy. Not sure what your kids are up to, but 9 laps were a ton of fun with my family. Long runs and moderate pitch in the sun. Hit it early, as it gets early sun.

Website says Canyon/Eagle close on the 18th, so T-boz family can take advantage of the entire place. I imagine it is stating to get thin, but sunny side of Lincoln must be good to go pretty early by now. Imagine backside is getting much softer as well.

Hoping for the week after Memorial Day for them to stay open. We just want to chill for a week early summer after school is out and ski each morning.

^^^Enjoy. Not sure what your kids are up to, but 9 laps were a ton of fun with my family. Long runs and moderate pitch in the sun. Hit it early, as it gets early sun.

Website says Canyon/Eagle close on the 18th, so T-boz family can take advantage of the entire place. I imagine it is stating to get thin, but sunny side of Lincoln must be good to go pretty early by now. Imagine backside is getting much softer as well.

Hoping for the week after Memorial Day for them to stay open. We just want to chill for a week early summer after school is out and ski each morning.
    Yep! Starting on 9 will be perfect for them! My daughters are both 8 (fraternal twins). One is coming off a broken tibia in December, so long corn groomers sound perfect.
    sproing!

Looking at that map again and Scooter Pie looked nicely filled in a week ago. I've skied that line a few times over the years. Either full corn or dust on crust corn. Always spring.

Fellas...today was perfect corn all over the hill!
    Ch9 groomers were perfecto, Face of 5, Christmas Bowl, Under Chair 3, Off 23, even CH15 groomers weren't totally smoked.
    Give a holler if out tmrw and/or Sun.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs View Post
    Fellas...today was perfect corn all over the hill!
    Ch9 groomers were perfecto, Face of 5, Christmas Bowl, Under Chair 3, Off 23, even CH15 groomers weren't totally smoked.
    Give a holler if out tmrw and/or Sun.
    Yo,
    I’m dawn patrolling it down from Reno tomorrow for the weekend. My kid (17 yr old) and I will be lapping the top/23. My last days skiing in April as I’m leaving for AZ on a fire assignment Monday for a 3 weeks, so we’re going bell to bell Sat & Sun. Hit us up if you want to do some laps.
    Christian (775)224-9755