Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Haha...the Plake photo is $$$$$$

I'll be in Mammoth tomorrow night through Sunday...first time skiing after 27 days off

Fuck Yeah Gerome. Skiing with the littles is super fun. Good to hear you scored a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Haha...the Plake photo is $$$$$$

I'll be in Mammoth tomorrow night through Sunday...first time skiing after 27 days off

Have a great time! I hope that the snow is still holding up and that closing day is tons of fun.

Gerome,

Very cool! Plake generally has been very cool to the kids on the mtn.
    He who has the most fun wins!

x2 on the Plake photo! Cool your 4 yo is skiing off the top. Love a good bike-hike-ski-bike adventure :-)

We are heading to enjoy one last closing weekend. I haven't done a closer in a couple seasons, so looking forward to it. I don't expect much from the skiing, but any day in Mammoth is worth the effort.

If anybody is out and about give me a shout for some turns, a beer or preferably both.

Cheers to a good season even if it wasn't one of the best.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A783BCD9-569F-4E6A-B9FF-71F779B70A64.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	773.5 KB 
ID:	375998

Wow, impressive farming.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Wow, impressive farming.

Name:	EDEBD6A4-F582-4D28-BE20-417C0082E62D.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	688.1 KB 
ID:	376003
    The amount of time, effort and money spent taking farming to the next level was truly impressive.

One may question the logic, but the motivation/commitment is all-time. This G&T's for you, MM!

Spent Friday through Sunday riding the lifts and it was so much fun. I'm a bit spent from making breakfast at 6am for my kids each morning so we can make the 7:30am opening but it was worth it. The grooming team gets a gold star. Nothing sort of a miracle running chair 2 each day and even Chair 5 through Sunday. The strip from 5 to 2 was really impressive feat that looked to just about disappear each day but sure enough it was back in the morning. Top to bottom full speed laps for the win and oh so much fun at 7:30am with almost nobody around.

That is insane.

The strip from 5 to 2 was pretty narrow two weeks ago, but oh so much fun early and empty.

Mammoth continues to impress me. Now melt so we can bike from the mid station in a week.

Mammoth Mountain is one of the best operated ski resorts in North America, and this season confirms it.

True dat, but we do need normal snow years or they are going to quit trying to stay open to Memorial Day and beyond in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Agree. In a normal year we would be skiing out of Main for this coming trip. We’ve been out there after big seasons skiing to the Mill and still with 5 running with full coverage in June. Can’t wait for that again. This is our first time ever being out there to bike in early June.

Only wish I bought a 1Br condo out there a decade ago.

Fun last weekend. Snow was surprisingly fun but definitely lots of sharks. Picked up a big coreshot coming down stumps but I guess it was time to retire those rock skis anyways.

We didn't make it there for closing weekend, but we were there the weekend before. It was really fun, and yeah, all the sharks made for a fun element of slalom and quick line picking. I only got one nasty one, left a mark, but nothing that needs to be fixed.

Yeah, hats off to Mammoth for keeping the chairs spinning all the way to Memorial Day by doing some major snow pushing!

We were there two weeks before closing and no Sharks. At least nothing they got either of us. Tho the top of coyote was basically a Billy goat line but all that was through loose talus.

We head back Sunday to bike. So hoping they get more than the shuttle and lower mountain rolling. Would love for mid station but would even be please to hot lap 11. Kid is stoked and really looking forward to his first bike park.

X2 as mentioned above regarding Mammoth's closing weekend, Had a great time chasing my kid around the mtn and the skiing exceeded my expectations, Mammoth put on an a display of snow farming that was amazing. Here's a few pics and some video of last Sat & Sunday,

Name:	IMG-5559.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	508.8 KB 
ID:	376352
    My 16 yr old on Chair 5 Saturday just after opening. Empty run with some ripping corn snow. Super fun.

1st lap on ch 5.

Name:	IMG-5547.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	528.1 KB 
ID:	376353
    The path from the bottom of ch 5 back to ch 2 was an amazing feat of snow farming......

Name:	IMG-5549.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	376354
    It kept funneling down until at the bottom it was about 5-6 ft wide, Super fun to ski before it slushed up.

2nd lap on ch 5. Note total lack of other skiers. Better than I thought it was going to be.

Name:	IMG-5543.jpg 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	376355
    Climax was a bit bony. Best lines were way skier left & right.

Name:	IMG-5528.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	376356
    San Anton's still had good coverage up high,

Name:	IMG-5544.jpg 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	376357
    Some different grooming than usual so you could ski Scottie's then make it back to ch 23.

Name:	D436BBB2-1DB1-460D-B9E2-16F2513171B9.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	376358
    By 11:00 a.m. we were done and headed down to Crowley to get the bikes. Clouds were starting to build.

Name:	IMG-0710.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	376359
    Uptown & Downtown were packed with E-bikers and families doing shuttle laps (no pedaling) so we got onto Paper Route where we found peace and quiet along with empty single track.

Name:	IMG-0711.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	376360
    Took a break out by ch 9.

Name:	IMG-0712.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	376361
    Hey, if you leave the door unlocked I'm going to go in and check it out.

Name:	IMG-5561.jpg 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	376362
    Sunday Cornice bowl, My kid skiing way better than I did at age 16.

Spinning laps on Cornice bowl on the last day of our season. I finished with 87 days, my kid got in 55 days. Not bad for a less than average snow year.

Name:	IMG-5546.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	376363
    View from the ch 2 lot as we were about to leave. It was melting fast. Have a great summer and see you on the hill next fall.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 06-05-2021 at 10:02 PM.

I added a ton of pics to my instagram feed. Working on vids next

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I added a ton of pics to my instagram feed. Working on vids next
    Hey,
    Just checked out your instagram page. Looks like we must have been on Cornice at just about the same time filming our kids. I finally got my vimeo clips to link up on the post right above yours. Fun closing weekend for sure.

Haha, awesome! So much fun.

Glad you guys got some!

Our ski lease ended on May 20, and I have not been up since the beginning of May. I can't believe how thin it has gotten, but given how little snow there was this year staying open that long is an impressive feat.

Ott,

I hear you on wishing to have purchased a condo at Mammoth. The amazing thing is that even in the last year prices have skyrocketed. I follow the market and it just exploded during covid, lots of people who figured that if they were working from home they might as well be in Mammoth. There might have been other factors, prices have gone berzerk everywhere around here too, but it is particularly nuts on Mammoth.

What I wonder is if it will continue. My guess is that lots of people who bought will have to go back to at least partial office attendance, which makes being in Mammoth tough. I have a college buddy who is an attorney in Palos Verdes, working for in Beverly Hills. He only has to go in to the office two days a week typically, although occasionally he will go in at other times. I think lots of people might end up being partially remote when this thing is over, but not necessarily fully remote. It is tough to be partially remote in Mammoth. I really don't know how all of this will end up, but my guess is that some of the people who bought during covid will end up having to sell. I really don't know though. I thought prices were plateauing in Newport Beach a couple of years ago, but they have continued to climb. Honestly back in 2017 I thought things were close to a peak, but prices keep rising. Realtors around here are pretty desperate for listings, I get them knocking on my door from time to time. I get a homebot every month from our realtor, I'm sure if we were interested in selling he would be pretty pumped.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/pr...QmygBUIf-mss30
    If you haven't seen this it's worth a look. Back story, he got lot's of verbal warnings and a formal cease and desist letter. Didn't get the hint and got busted in a sting operation at the bottom of the Discovery chair. He had a full on facebook page advertising his business as well. Should of kept that on the down low, not thrown it into Mammoth's face. Here's the link to his operation, not sure if it's still working.
    http://learntosnowboardbb.com

^^^one of the bummers this winter is you had to book lessens a month in advance because they had very limited openings. I know this was a off year, but seems like the hill should do what it needs to do to attract more instructors. Perhaps pay them better. I dunno. But when your only option left is the black market, people will buy tax free.

LDD. I plan to watch the market. We bought in Santa Cruz in 2012 at the bottom of the dip here which came years after the real estate collapse. Each region is unique and perhaps we will see some selling off down the road. I bet some determine they don’t really like it. It is not LA after all, and dealing with the elements is not for everybody. Lack of sushi, clubs and fake tits can be hard for some.

Just got back from a MTB trip with the kid. First day we put in 800’ and 7 miles at KW. All peddle access. Trails are somewhat raw and rough in spots, but otherwise great conditions.

Then we spent two days at Mammoths bike park. From F Stop down is all pretty much open. We hit mostly every trail black Diamond and down. Super fun even with just the shuttle running. Would like to get back some time when Canyon and Stump are running.

Highlights were Manzanita to Juniper down to Eagle and an evening climb up Brake thru to 7 bridges. Those will open this Friday and highly suggest 7 bridges. Super fun short run that ends in lower dry creek. Gorgeous.

Love that place and could for sure see why owning there would be great for us. We’ve been out four trips since February and am getting used to the drive. It has some much of what we love. Kid wants to get back in August and I’m thinking about it. He has never been up past Twin Lakes. Thinking of even doing a road bike day up the basin.

Super windy and chilly Monday thru Wednesday.

Oh, and the Earthquake Fault is insane.

Make