Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Here is hoping for a few winter storms before it is all over to try out my new Praxis Protests arriving today. Next winter is a long time to wait to try them.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Another great day out there today. A bit more spring like, but still wintery buff off the top and in some spots on 3/5. It warmed up more and more quickly today with the lighter wind. Canyon was soft groomers at 9AM. Sunnyside of Lincoln was good to go by 10AM or so. Dave's was still a bit firm around 10:30, but manageable. 5 was still a bit firm then as well. Did a lap through the Jibs park and worked our way back toward 23. Stood in the only line all day (outside the Gondola) at Stump at 11:30AM or so. We had to wait four minutes. Sucked. Skyline and Scotty's were insanely fun at noon, as was a zippy St Anton on our way to 12 and our new established daily lunch spot. Skied a few around 12. My kid wanted to do the lift line top to bottom. White Bark was good around 1:30 as was Wipeout 2 around 2. Kid wanted to ski a Paranoid. Traverse form Scottys into the first one is pretty basic. I didn't want to take my kid in from the top. It looked well peppered. Anyway, the 9 year old claims it was the best snow of the day. I thought Wipeout was. Dave's skied well at 3, and finished the day lapping 5 were the spring bumps were in prime shape.

This place is insanely fun in spring. You have from bell to bell to find good snow in the right places at the right time. And we do enjoy the long slushy run back to Eagle at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Ottime; 04-01-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And we do enjoy the long slushy run back to Eagle at the end of the day.
    Your wax or base texture is better than mine as that slushy stuff on Eagle makes me think I am going to kill myself going heads over heels sticking to it. Glad your son is killing it. Must be BIG smiles all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Like I tell my son, keep them on edge and your bases won’t slow you down.

I do put on a fresh wax before every trip. Brought three skis. One has 50k vert on them and the other 25k. If it were real spring they would be done.

There has been a breeze helping re freezing once out of the sun. We have been leaving the top of 5 between 3:40 and 4:05. By the time we are finishing up below Eagle, it is starting to firm up in the shade. Just enough to make the snow fast. Like snow cone. This week we have not really had issues with sticking anywhere. Just great spring conditions.

Next trip in late May will be a different story. Not likely we will see wintery snow anywhere. Tho it was that way two memorial days ago.

New lunch spot for us.

Attachment 369771
    This pic is rad! I wish I had gotten to do stuff like that as a kid. And makes me hope I can do stuff like that with my own kid one day.

Sorry if I missed it, but are there Eagle and Canyon closing dates yet? Trying to plan a mid-week family trip in April.

Yesterday was an absolute blast.

I was late getting out of Newport, I had 4-5 days to ski so I wasn't that pumped to get out a 4 am, I ended up leaving around 615 am, getting to the condo at 1215, and getting on the mountain at 1. I made my way over to chair 23, and it was REALLY fun. I started by skiing dropout 3, which was nice, then dropout 1 (the one closest to the lift, I always forget how they are numbered), which was REALLY good, although the top is very peppery.

I then went over to wipeout 2, and pretty much spent the entire day there. It was kind of a loose buff, not slushy, but loosened more than it would have been early in the day. The snow was great, the best I found. I just kept lapping it for the rest of the day. Lots of people were doing the same, I saw lots of spray and lots of nice turns.

I ended up getting 8 off the top despite the late start. The lines on 23 were not bad, a few minutes at most when I was there. My last lap I traversed into the Paranoids, which as Ott said do have good snow but peppery entrances. I wanted to look at the entrances from below before I went in. The entrances don't look great, but the snow lower down is pretty good. I might go in from the top today, we will see. I only saw a couple of people going in from the top yesterday afternoon, everyone on 23 was pretty much sticking to the dropouts and wipeouts, because the snow was so good.

After 23 closed I did a lap in Gravy Chute, which was great. It was loose and edgable but not slushy. I will probably make some laps there today.

I didn't try the gondola. They are still not loading from the mid-station.

I have heard that the Eagle and Canyon closing dates are April 18. I don't know if that is true or not.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-01-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I will be out there today.

Either a red Arctyrex jacket or a maroon Red Hot Chili Peppers sweatshirt. Blue North Face pants and a black helmet with a Gopro attached. Skiing on 4frnt EHPs. I will probably be spending most of the day on chair 23. I will be out there around 1030. Give me a shoutout if you see me, it would be fun to take some laps with the folks on this board.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Wipeout 2 has been the winner all week. If I was solo I’d be lapping 23 and mostly that run. One of the reasons I love skiing with my kid is he makes us explore the entire mountain and have fun wherever we go. But a big part of me wanted to convince him to just stay lapping 23.

Get out earlier today. It is warm this morning. And no wind out there.

Have a great 4 more days LDD. Today is our final day and then maybe June from 8:30 to 11 on Friday and then home.

We still need to hit up and Avi or two today and maybe Red Lakes for afternoon slush.

Gondola lines yesterday were the longest of all week. Last time we were here, Wednesday was the busiest day of the week. Hoping for the same this week. I prefer ski right on to every lift skiing. We waited in three four minute lines yesterday which is unacceptable.

Wipeouts again today. Just stunning. Paranoid was fun. Chair 5 has transitioned to spring for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Your wax or base texture is better than mine as that slushy stuff on Eagle makes me think I am going to kill myself going heads over heels sticking to it. Glad your son is killing it. Must be BIG smiles all around.
    Try a little hi-flouro race butter as a quick rub on - take a quick break as it starts to warm up and after rubbing let sit in sun to soak in (5 minutes max), then a quick rub off with absorbent material.

Today was awesome.

I started the day at around 1030 with a bunch of chair 9 laps. It was nice and fun, soft and slushy but not grabby, and you could just rail turns from top to bottom.

Around noon I started skiing the top. I did a bunch of laps in the Wipeout chutes, which were great again, and I also skied the Monuments area. My favorite lines though, and the Wipeouts were so great that this makes it tough, were my runs down Sign Line on Climax. The snow was loose by the afternoon, but still very wintery. So much fun.

Here is a video of one of my Sign Line runs.

The mountain is skiing amazing well right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I will be out there today. Either a red Arctyrex jacket or a maroon Red Hot Chili Peppers sweatshirt. Blue North Face pants and a black helmet with a Gopro attached. Skiing on 4frnt EHPs. I will probably be spending most of the day on chair 23. I will be out there around 1030. Give me a shoutout if you see me, it would be fun to take some laps with the folks on this board.
    Hey Long duc dong! Well, after a late, late, late start we finally got to Mammoth, too late for any skiing today. We'll be here for a few days anyway. We'll keep an eye out for you. I'll be wearing a black helmet, black and gray Mountain Hardwear jacket, blue pants. But the Mrs. will be easier to spot: blue helmet, red jacket, yellow pants.

Wipeouts again today. Just stunning. Paranoid was fun. Chair 5 has transitioned to spring for the most part.
    Dayum. Wish I paid attention to this thread more. Was on wipeout around 2. Liked but I liked the lower down corn better. Sleeping in June now but I think I’m hitting mount wood tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Sleeping in June now but I think I’m hitting mount wood tomorrow

Go get that half-priced pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Hey Long duc dong! Well, after a late, late, late start we finally got to Mammoth, too late for any skiing today. We'll be here for a few days anyway. We'll keep an eye out for you. I'll be wearing a black helmet, black and gray Mountain Hardwear jacket, blue pants. But the Mrs. will be easier to spot: blue helmet, red jacket, yellow pants.
    Will definitely look out for you Fofo.

I will be wearing a mask with a picture of my dog on it. That's probably the easiest way to spot me.

Have fun! The mountain is really skiing great right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Go get that half-priced pizza!
    Can’t it’s on my way out of town. And I still have half of last nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Today was awesome.

I started the day at around 1030 with a bunch of chair 9 laps. It was nice and fun, soft and slushy but not grabby, and you could just rail turns from top to bottom.

Around noon I started skiing the top. I did a bunch of laps in the Wipeout chutes, which were great again, and I also skied the Monuments area. My favorite lines though, and the Wipeouts were so great that this makes it tough, were my runs down Sign Line on Climax. The snow was loose by the afternoon, but still very wintery. So much fun.

Here is a video of one of my Sign Line runs.

The mountain is skiing amazing well right now.
    Nice! I can't wait to get back. It's full on spring conditions in Tahoe right now. The heat is on.

http:///www.kolotv.com/2021/03/28/sp...-closes-roads/
    Reno area is breaking fires already. To early for that.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Dayum. Wish I paid attention to this thread more. Was on wipeout around 2. Liked but I liked the lower down corn better. Sleeping in June now but I think I’m hitting mount wood tomorrow

Bummer man. Would have been fun to spin a few laps with you and the mini. We’ve got him contours so I should be out touring again soon.

Friday we skied opening until 11am. Liv2ski I see your Eagle side issue a bit more. It was slush on our way in and a few more hours of sun and that side would be soup. Perhaps coming down between noon and 3pm would be stickier.

Early laps on a empty Solitude (kid Kees mentioning how it’s a misnomer) then Cornice and Climax finally at 10:20. It could have used another hour, but the kid wanted it and it was good to go. So fun putting in 13k and be driving home by 11:30.

Great hill. Can’t wait to get back.

Liv2Ski FWIW, I am using Glide-On wax out of CO, but I think they no longer make wax. Had cool snow wax with cold snow wax mixed directly under the binding. Newish bases on ON3p with a decent structure pattern (no idea for what weather).

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    This pic is rad! I wish I had gotten to do stuff like that as a kid. And makes me hope I can do stuff like that with my own kid one day.
    Thanks. We used to take breaks all the time, More time playing in the snow than skiing . Started at age 2 with a single run down the bunny with a long snack break in the middle, and then we would finish the run. I used to ski with my avy shovel so we could build platforms and forts in the woods.

The other day we disagreed on where to set up. In the sun or in the shade. He decide to make his own ski bench in the sun so I could keep mine in the shade. So fun watching him grow and his love for skiing grow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617507380.802937.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	370374

We now ski all day putting in 20-25K of mixed terrain with a single long lunch break in the middle of the day. He made sure we kept stopping in this same spot all week. It was out of the way, but it was out of both SW and NE winds, had sunshine, soft snow and a great view.

One of the best things about skiing with him is he reminds me that doing stupid shit on skis is fun. Like skiing a crappy lift line screaming up to the lift saying how crappy it is so they should not ski it with a big fat stupid smile on his face. He is a natural for the game of G.N.A.R.

Good stuff out there today, quietest weekend day all season for me with ski-on gondola for the first few hours of the day and minimal lines in the afternoon.

Morning was for super high speed groomers off the top with no one around, then Climax softened perfectly while Wipe Out 2 developed really nice wind buff. Got 62K of vert skiing mostly the Gondola and 23–felt great to be able to ski the top without lift lines.

Name:	IMG_5377.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	370453

Name:	IMG_5383.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	370454

Nice shots Skeeze!

I have hit that straightline before, although it was softer, and a bit more filled in when I did it. I have not done it on a windbuff day.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Nice! I can't wait to get back. It's full on spring conditions in Tahoe right now. The heat is on.

http:///www.kolotv.com/2021/03/28/sp...-closes-roads/
    Reno area is breaking fires already. To early for that.
    Sorry to hear about the fires! I'm really hoping the Sierra get a late season round of precipitation. I'm worried about this fire season without that.

Stay safe out there. We are all thankful for what you guys do. You definitely earn your winters.

If you can get back up to Mammoth I would. The mountain is skiing really well right now.

On Saturday I skied from around 930 to noon. I started with a lap on chair 9, it is really fun in the morning right now, then went from the top of 9 to the bottom of the gondi when I saw people on Dave's kicking up snow. I ended up doing four Climax Sign Line laps, it was not as loose as it was in the afternoons, a bit more firm, but still fun. You could still rip through the choke, I just skied to section above the choke a bit more conservatively. It was fun in the morning and the lines were only 5 minutes at the most. At around 1130, after four laps, the crowd showed up and I had to wait for 20 minutes. I was going to leave in the early afternoon anyway, so I decided this would be my last lap.

I ended up skiing skier's right on Climax, under the Top of the World cliffs, and it had loosened up a bit. It was fun, edgable and smooth, although as you cut further skier's right, to where you are more under Huevos, it becomes a bit slushier and less compacted. That area was fun, but I would wait until later in the morning to ski it, as it would probably be firm early on. I cut over to the top of chair 9 area, and skied one of the groomers all the way down to Eagle Lodge, barely making the 1210 yellow line bus after the long line at the gondi.

Here is a video from earlier, Thursday or Friday, of a couple of Wipeout laps. It will give you an idea of just how nice the buff in there has been.

^^^^ my son started calling 9 “Grand Central Station” because you can get anywhere except the backside from it. Such a great chair.

We followed a similar route most days last week. It was a bit cooler, so we’d start on something like Juniper or two laps on Canyon before hitting 25. Just as things softened we take a run down to 9 and maybe a 2nd or 3rd as the top loosened and then from 9 to gondola base before any line formed. Dave’s to Solitude unless it warmed and then Dry Creek to 5 back to Gondi for more Dave’s. Once the lines formed we’d take 23 to 12 to set up for lunch. Screw around the backside for a few runs and return to 23 around 2pm and aim for a final gondi run at 3 and finish the day on 5.

Still stoked on how well that hill is skiing right now.

Skied June this afternoon after the winds had died. The Face was a bit spooky. Stopped after about 50’ to figure out where to go since it was my first time there. Stuck my pole in and it went through about 8” of semi frozen slush into about 18” of nothing. And was fairly widespread, not like I was over a sage bush.