Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    If he grew up surfing in SD County he is use to the occasional asshole, so no big deal. Those pictures are great ESS, thanks for the stoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hmmnn...so the Ahole gets what he wants? Bullying works? How did he get your email Ess? Or did you mean PM/DM.
    (It's only recreation. But I like it)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Nice ESS, respect to the lifestyle. A lot of the folks in my ski circle are Fire or former hot shots.

Friday was GOOD especially if you knew where to look and stayed in the trees. Skipping today but looking forward to the next couple few days on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Hmmnn...so the Ahole gets what he wants? Bullying works? How did he get your email Ess? Or did you mean PM/DM.
    (It's only recreation. But I like it)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    You are correct, he messaged me thru the forum with the PM feature. My use of the term "email" wasn't quite accurate. I replied why didn't you just say something on the forum like "Hey, that's my fav place to ski and it's a bit of work to get to so not that many people go there, could you keep it on the down low. Thanks." I got no response other than "Your an asshole."

Today was really fun. The 6 inches or so up high really made the top fun. Climax and P2 were where I got my best laps. Chair 23 line was only around 10-15 minutes. Lines on the lower mountain were longer.

Getting into the noids was interesting. It is very bony. The entrance between P1 and P2 was the one I used and it was doable,but bony. I was edging my way in, doing a little side hop over some pepper, than a little straightline. The first time in was a bit sketchy, from the top, it's hard to tell if you are edging into an area with too many rocks. You have to edge in before you can see where to go. The first time was sketchy, after that it was not quite as bad, as you knew you could make it through.

Here is a video from the Paranoids from a few weeks back. The entrances are considerably more bony now, even with the new snow. The new snow is pretty light, that area could use some cement.

The video starts when I'm basically in, but you can see a couple of rocks and holes. It is rockier than it looks in the video, I edited to where I was past the rocky stuff. The entrance is P1. I really hope they get some new sticky snow soon.https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLmtZOD..._web_copy_link
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 03-14-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Some days you have to follow the wind.

Today was pretty nuts in the wipeouts. About as classic as Mammoth wind buff gets.

Here is a video of the wipeouts from today.

Last edited by Long duc dong; 03-21-2021 at 01:22 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    It’s all about Work Life Balance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Are you looking, willing ,and able to do full time work each week? or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Some days you have to follow the wind.

Today was pretty nuts in the wipeouts. About as classic as Mammoth wind buff gets.

Here is a video of the wipeouts from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMbNJJuhd6M/
    Cool video! It was a nice weekend.

We showed up around noon on Saturday, we figured that the afternoon would be less of a flustercuck, and we got a parking spot around the Mill, and promptly moved to the back to avoid the crowds (chair 14 had lines, but not bad).

Sunday was better and after lunch we barely saw any lines.

Up again today for some fun in the fresh snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    Cool video! It was a nice weekend.

We showed up around noon on Saturday, we figured that the afternoon would be less of a flustercuck, and we got a parking spot around the Mill, and promptly moved to the back to avoid the crowds (chair 14 had lines, but not bad).

Sunday was better and after lunch we barely saw any lines.

Up again today for some fun in the fresh snow!

You guys are stoked to be there today!

Today was tough. We skied until 4 yesterday, then decided to spend the night and leave early in the morning. I could get work done up there, so no big deal for me, but my wife had a zoom meeting at 330 pm today that we HAD to be back for. While the internet in our ski lease is almost always fine, she didn't feel comfortable doing it from up there with the storm, just in case things went out. So we left this morning at 8 am, which just killed me when I saw how nice and light the snow was, and that the storm had over-delivered. Oh well, Saturday and Sunday were great, so I can't complain.

And yeah, Sunday was pretty empty. Saturday was busy, the lower lifts were pretty jammed and the gondola line was long. I think I was typically waiting for 15 or more minutes for 23. Then Sunday was pretty empty, particularly in the afternoon. It was a couple of minutes to get on 23 and hit the beautiful wind buff in the wipeouts.

I'm glad to see my videos are actually working. Dailymotion seems to want to make them private, which does not allow for viewing here.

You had to leave town on a pow day for a zoom meeting?.......I’ll keep the rest to myself

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    You had to leave town on a pow day for a zoom meeting?.......I’ll keep the rest to myself
    It was tough to swallow.

In the past we would have had to leave Sunday evening anyway, to be in the office on Monday. Now things are different, but my wife does not entirely trust the internet we have up there. I knew it was a possibility if we skied as late as we did on Sunday. Since I didn't have any deadlines on Monday it made sense to drive in the morning. Monday was going to be a nogo anyway, but it hurts more when you can see a few inches of snow. My 25 year old self would be disappointed in my 45 year old self. You lose gnar points for skiing with a significant other on a pow day, I would think this would be a more eggregious miscarriage of justice.

The thing that sucks is that I have full confidence in the internet up there. She is sketched on it though, and I agreed to this.

A few years ago my dad flew into Mammoth to ski for a week, arriving on Sunday night. My wife and I had skied the weekend, but she was flying back to work the week, she had not taken it off. The wind was nuts, my dad said it was the worst flight he had ever dealt with. They canceled my wife's flight, so I had to drive down on Sunday night, then drive back up on Monday. I almost tried to leave Monday morning at 5 in order to ski Monday, but I didn't have it in me, I ended up driving back leaving around noon. My dad got to stay and ski, I wasn't going to have him drive down with me. That was not a big deal, no pow and I still got to ski through Friday after a good weekend, but it taught me to be cautious with the flights in Mammoth. They get canceled pretty frequently.

6-12 inches is what the snowman called it. I'm not sure what opened today.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post

6-12 inches is what the snowman called it. I'm not sure what opened today.
    It's better for your skiing in the long term to have a happy wife!

Sorry to rub it in, but today was really fun!! We got a parking spot at the Mill, not many people today, as expected. As the day progressed more chairs were closed, but even in the main runs you could still find some really fun snow. At the end of the day I think the only ones open were Unbound, Stump Alley, chair 21, Roller Coaster, Canyon and chair 8.

The highlight of the day for me was that we got one of the last chairs on 1 before it stopped running due to weather and we went around to the St. Anton area, we figured it would be fairly empty. In the drop before Silverton, Agee's, Blue Ox (I think that part of the run is called Europa Cup) the wind was so strong that if you didn't dig in it would push you back a ways and we did that a few times for fun. But it was worth it, really nice snow and some deeper powder pockets every now and then (I think we did Agee's).

My legs were very tired at the end of the day, and my toes are finally warming up, but we still have giant smiles on our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    It's better for your skiing in the long term to have a happy wife!

Sorry to rub it in, but today was really fun!! We got a parking spot at the Mill, not many people today, as expected. As the day progressed more chairs were closed, but even in the main runs you could still find some really fun snow. At the end of the day I think the only ones open were Unbound, Stump Alley, chair 21, Roller Coaster, Canyon and chair 8.

The highlight of the day for me was that we got one of the last chairs on 1 before it stopped running due to weather and we went around to the St. Anton area, we figured it would be fairly empty. In the drop before Silverton, Agee's, Blue Ox (I think that part of the run is called Europa Cup) the wind was so strong that if you didn't dig in it would push you back a ways and we did that a few times for fun. But it was worth it, really nice snow and some deeper powder pockets every now and then (I think we did Agee's).

My legs were very tired at the end of the day, and my toes are finally warming up, but we still have giant smiles on our faces.
    100% true!

My wife is an advanced skier, she has gotten into skiing seriously in the last 13 years, basically in the time we have been together. She comes to Mammoth with me about 80% of the time. I'm lucky she wants to spend a couple of weekends a month at Mammoth, it makes my life much better. While it sucks to miss this, it is a small price to pay in the long run. She is even pumped on Mt. Baldy now, which is great for me. When I left the mountains and stopped being a ski bum I knew there would be a price to pay.

I'm stoked you guys had a good time! With how light the snow down at our condo was I imagine it was pretty blissful up high, lighter than normal Mammoth snow. This was a cold storm. I doesn't surprise me stuff ended up shutting down. Today should be great. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Woah dude,
    I’m not even sure exactly what that paragraph means or is about. I’m guessing your in the tech industry, maybe writing or developing software? You sound really intelligent for sure. Me, not so much. I’m just a ski bum that wanted to find a way to finance his life around taking the winters off and skiing. Wildland firefighting is kind of a nomadic, gypsy life style like skiing and it fit around what I wanted to do, ski. After years of avoiding baby responsibility, I’m a “career” fed employee that voluntarily takes a furlough every winter. Work for seven months, laid off for five. In order to get by in my line of work that entails maxing out every available opportunity to work overtime. Last years crushing fire season I worked over a 1000 hrs of overtime, the most since I was on a hotshot crew a long time ago. Fire season is rapidly approaching, and In two weeks, April 1st I’m back at work. I’m dreading the thought as during fire season I have no life, my life is work.

Anyways, this has nothing to do with the Mammoth forum, but IMO there’s nothing wrong with working hard as long as it is a means to an end. Like being a ski bum all winter. Do what you have to do, but take time to enjoy what you really enjoy, line standing on top of a Mtn after an epic day of skiing. Let’s hookup sometime when your around and take some runs.
    Cheers.
    ESS,

I'm a statistician, which is not as complex as it sounds. I write lots of code in a language called R, but I'm not a programmer per se.

What you do is amazing. Props and thanks! You have certainly earned the time you get off.

Some of my buddies who stayed in Tahoe are on the type of schedule you are on. They are contractors, or something similar, and have limited work in the winter but work 6 days a week starting in April.

It would definitely be great to take some runs. I am out the next two weekends, although Mt. Baldy is now back in play so I'll be skiing that down here, but I will be up the last week in March/beginning of April, arriving March 28 and leaving around April 3.

Hope you are able to get something from this storm. This stuff was definitely light, so it should be settling nicely in the trees.

Cheers, and thanks from all of us for what you do!

So the top today should be pretty nice then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So the top today should be pretty nice then.
    The internet works a lot better Monday - Friday than on the weekends. With 1 pipe into town and Suddenlink using Cable tech, when the world rolls up, the internet definitely slows down on the weekends.

My timing wasn't great yesterday. Got a sore back for some reason and by the time I got out of my 10am mtg I didn't make it till 12:30. The wind was loading the Avi's which were super fun until the 70 or 80mph winds shut 22. Got a run on Roger's before heading back to work. Buddy said the morning was sick!

The last week has been pretty stellar. Apparently the snow was 6% last Wednesday and Thursday was 4%. Patroller mentioned when he ski cut Climax on Thursday that it was waist deep. Sunday was basically empty, although Sat. was rather crowded.

I'm sure the top won't suck today, but the wind was nuking in the afternoon so likely quite wind effected. Trees will be deep today.
    He who has the most fun wins!

sure wind, but looking at the cams, except for the top 100', snow looks pretty soft/deep. I'd take that over looking at it from my desk on a cam.

Questions:

1) Where can I get a solid decently priced base grind in Mammoth. No base weld needed, just flatten bases

2) Where can I get a good boot fitting for either Alpine or heavy pin touring / crossover boots?
    Last edited by Ottime; 03-16-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Echoing everyone else but man what an amazing 4 days on the mountain. Friday storm day, Sat bluebird, fun Sunday with light crowds. Wind buff on Sunday afternoon was all time off the summit, lapped 23 til close. Everything except entrances to wipeout 1/the noids is getting pretty filled in, one more wet storm and things will be pretty nice.

Yesterday was an all time (half) day before the wind came in. Under forecasted blower with zero lines. Multiple first tracks on 5, and lapped 22/Avys until the legs were fried. Some of the most fun I've ever had on the mountain.

Awesome first (and possibly only) trip after a shit year. Work for a hospital, and this was the first PTO I have taken in 14 months. Good reminder for how important skiing is for my mental health. Never again going a year without a pass...

Hey skihick, thanks to you and all of the people you work with. You guys are fucking hero's to put yourselves in harms way for people you don't know. I hope to meet you someday and buy you a few beers or whatever you like.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    sure wind, but looking at the cams, except for the top 100', snow looks pretty soft/deep. I'd take that over looking at it from my desk on a cam.

Questions:

1) Where can I get a solid decently priced base grind in Mammoth. No base weld needed, just flatten bases

2) Where can I get a good boot fitting for either Alpine or heavy pin touring / crossover boots?
    Not a lot of shops to create down pressure on prices like a metro area

Good success with the Montana machine at Kitteredge https://kittredgesports.com/tuning-a.../#repair-rates

Footloose is a good shop too and have been pleased when I have dropped skis off

https://www.footloosesports.com/ski-tuning-repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was watching this jerry of the day from back in February, so good, worth a watch if you missed it.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLxjclc...=19orgl9tzp6x0

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

“MA” haha. I love the Superman self-arrest technique, shocked that that didn’t work out.

Damn, he went a ways didn't he.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

A missed opportunity for a worm turn. Another reason not to use pole straps.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-17-2021 at 06:35 PM.