Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Today, while quite warm, was still awesome.

Comish twins are running Super G tomorrow so not sure how much I will be actually skiing. Mini Comish foreran the U12 boys Super G today. Said it was fun!

I'm on old skool green Stockli Stormriders 95's, Sweet Protection helmet w St. Anton sticker, blue BD soft shell.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    We are headed up for Memorial Day w/e and are thinking about sticking around that next week. But only if the lifts are spinning. Hoping 5 is still spinning for the w/e.

They said wait and see before booking.

Hoping for that last April run of snow. And cold.
    They have said they are planning on Memorial Day close. They r gonna be lucky to make that to be honest, considering how warm it's been and the lean snow pack.

Kids ski team camps are scheduled for all of May, but the June one is now "gone" from the schedule...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Anyone know if the scenic loop / Ft FKNA looks suitable for camping?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Below FKNA, just off 395 there is a pull out and roads that should be dry that you can camp on. Not as nice as FKNA, but it worked for me and my kid when we were there two years ago. Snow line was a bit higher than Inyo Craters and below FKNA when we were there April 2nd.

Thanks!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BE42E8AA-F5E6-45E3-942C-6CFC50049DF4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	371209
    Yeah Mammoth! Good times this weekend.

That is why tele is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Well, at least he has a helmet cam strapped to his cap to film all that glory.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

ESS was just catching some rays. Don't harsh his vibe.

Some pretty good skiing over the weekend at Mammoth. Crowds were light on Saturday, place was empty on Sunday. Weather was classic spring time skiing, and Saturday they ran chairs 1,2,8,10,15 until 5:00 p.m. Something called "Golden Hour."

Name:	IMG_4BA369F2C8B4-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	468.1 KB 
ID:	371512
    Big vertical & run count on Saturday. Skied from 8:40 a.m. til 4:57 p.m. Day 78 for the season.

Name:	IMG_4839.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	854.4 KB 
ID:	371513
    Hard freeze on Friday night led to some firm conditions early Saturday morning. Stump Alley was "fast" early on.

Name:	IMG_4841.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	371514
    Top is still holding a decent amount of snow, but a few entrances i.e. Dropouts, Wipeout 1, and Noids are getting dicey.

Name:	IMG_4842.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	371516
    I like the new outside upper sun deck at CL. This was 12:00 p.m., not crowded at all.

Name:	IMG_4843.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	371517
    It stayed cool til mid afternoon on Saturday, but when it did soften the skiing got really fun. Big bump line down the face of 5.

Name:	IMG_4865.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	371519
    Same thing in West Bowl.

Attachment 371377
    Afternoon chaos in Scotties. The sheer number of sliders was amazing at times. Saw a snowboard get dropped right at the top and go way down San Anton's. Watch your back at all times, or risk being taken out.

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	371378
    Top didn't soften on Saturday til around 2:00 p.m., but when it did the skiing got good. As always, Wipeouts were the go to spot til closing.

Name:	IMG_4880.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	590.8 KB 
ID:	371379
    Last run off the top on Saturday my kid and I picked our way into P1 from the top. Super boney getting in, but good snow once you did. My kid skiing way better at age 17 than I did.

Name:	IMG_4866.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	371380
    After the Top closed on Saturday lower lifts ran til 5:00 for pass holders aka "Golden Hour." Slush busting on the groomers was still fun with the cooler temps. Ch 15 just before 5:00 pm.

Name:	IMG_4868.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	371381
    Friendly Mammoth dog parked next to us at CL. Likes PB&J. After yellow labs, my second favorite dogs.

Name:	IMG_4872.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	371382
    Sunday Daves. The snow softened much earlier in the day. Gondola lines were non existent. Did a bunch of laps here.

Name:	IMG_4861.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	371383
    Ralphie's was very carvable on the way down to the Gondi.

Name:	IMG_4875.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,006.0 KB 
ID:	371384
    Tan guy, rocking a speedo in the Gondi line.

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	371385
    Line of the day on Sunday. Skiers left of Climax. Then straight line from above the choke and arc a big left turn and run it out down Saddle Bowl. Challenge your kid to see who can do it from higher up. Don't lose. Fun times.

Name:	IMG_4896.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	371386
    Hwy 62, East of J Tree on Monday, enroute to a fire in AZ. Back in a couple weeks.
    Barn Balls, sorry we didn't hookup. Next time for sure.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 04-13-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks for your service man.

Both the mammoth updates and the fire fighting. Best of luck on your tour and hope you get back for a few turns in May.

Booked trip for Memorial Day with my two boys...guys trip. Even booked our instructor already BECAUSE I'M ON TOP OF THINGS!

Hopefully they will be open and Little League stays with current schedule.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

You don’t want to spend all weekend on Sesame Street practicing your ski ballet?!

Good call 666. I tried to get lessons three weeks prior to our last trip and no dice. But we were not on Sesame Street so it was not too bad. Maybe we will see you out there.

ESS,

As always, great shots. We thought we might be able to be there Sunday, but we ended up driving up Monday morning. That Skier's left Climax line you showed was INSANE the last time I was up, so fun pointing it through that choke and doing a big slash on the apron in the wind buff.

That's a great shot of your son on P1. That is some great form.

I wish we had been able to get up Sunday, it would have been great to take some laps.

We got on the mountain around 1230 on Monday and it was fun, soft and slushy. The choice line was the Avi 1, or is it Avi 3? The one we were skiing was the far skier's right chute, I forget whether that is one or three. It was soft, but not too soft and gooey. It would have been firm early on, but by the time we got there it had loosened up. Lots of fun. We kept lapping it until close.

Tuesday morning I worked until close to noon, thinking things would soften up and we would get a nice 12-4 afternoon. Instead the winds came up and things gradually closed, until only Eagle and a couple of other lifts were open, they even closed chair 8. We still had fun, lapping the slush in the Eagle area and just popping off little slush patches.

Today I worked in the morning, then we went out and skied from 12-4. The snow was falling, the roads were wet but it was not sticking on the pavement. We just lapped chair 5, then Facelift. It was pretty flat, almost whiteout at times, but if you were not afraid of dust on crust you could have some fun little turns. By the end of the day there were a few inches on the ground. The light got quite flat in spots, but it was still worth arcing some turns and spraying a bit of pow around. Anything off the groomers was not all that great, dust on frozen railroad tracks, but you could ski the sides of the groomers and get little turns in several inches of pow.

It is not supposed to last all night, but there should be something in the neighborhood of 5-8 inches tomorrow. It will definitely be dust on crust, but I'll take it.

With how frozen the mountain is it either needs a big storm or to warm up. The top areas which didn't slush up, if there are any, might be good. When I was last up the top was still wintery, I don't know if it all got slushy or not. Anything slushy and above the lower areas is frozen solid right now.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

ESS,

Thank you for your service and stay safe. I should have 1-2 weekend trips left, it would be great to link up in May.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

We site is saying 2”. What does LDD say?

We site is saying 2”. What does LDD say?
    I'll report back this afternoon.

I would say it will seem like more than two, will probably be blown in in some spots, but we will see.

It was not a big storm and it didn't go all night, but it did provide something.

My guess is that the off-piste will be interesting.

Just took a walk through CL lot, just some dust....

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks for your service man.

Both the mammoth updates and the fire fighting. Best of luck on your tour and hope you get back for a few turns in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    ESS,

Thank you for your service and stay safe. I should have 1-2 weekend trips left, it would be great to link up in May.
    Hey thanks guys. I appreciate that. I just got off of a fire that was burning in a cemetery. Mopping up around grave sights was a bit unnerving. In 30 fire seasons that was a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey thanks guys. I appreciate that. I just got off of a fire that was burning in a cemetery. Mopping up around grave sights was a bit unnerving. In 30 fire seasons that was a new one.
    Saw some photos from that. Creepy.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So today was fun and interesting.

We were late to get up there, figuring only a few inches would not be that great. We lapped chair 9 from around 1030 to around 1230, it was fun and slushy, but not too grabby yet. It was nice to just make big GS in soft, but not grabby, snow. As we got off of 9 on each lap we could see people coming down Dave's. It didn't look fun, lots of crusty scaping, only a couple of inches, maybe three at the most.

After breaking for an RX bars, water, and a spiked hot chocolate at Tusks we went up to the top. On the positive side, the line for the gondi was non-existent. I did a couple of Climax laps and my wife hit Cornice. I skied under the Top of The World, looking for an area where it was as smooth as possible underneath. The layer under the three inches of pow was pretty rock hard, about as dust on crust as it gets. I had fun, but I was really nursing my turns. Anything off-piste you have to look for smooth underneath, but it is still pretty bad. It was still skiing a bit of pow, but after a couple of laps my wife was sick of crusty Cornice and I was not particularly upset about not heading back to the top. We ended the day with a bunch more chair 9 laps. It was fun, although a bit stickier by that point.

For any of you coming up this weekend I would hope for things to warm up. Anything up high is dust on some serious crust. There is a reason I was skiing pow with only a few tracks in it on Climax at 215 in the afternoon. It was fun, in a bit of a masochistic way, but when you watch people nursing their turns off the top that is not by accident. I grew up skiing Belleayre, Catamount and Hunter, so I'll take it, but if yo are heading up this weekend I would look for slush zones, anything that does not slush up is pretty crusty under a couple of inches of pow.

The best turns I have had this week were Monday afternoon in the Avi chutes. I don't know if a wind event would really help, as there is only a couple of inches of new snow and a serious crust layer underneath. That being said, the springy areas were lots of fun. The mountain needs to either return to full-on spring or get a serious storm. I'm hoping for the latter, but the former is a more realistic option for improving conditions. We will be taking a few laps tomorrow morning after heading out, probably on chair 9.

For those of you remote types another positive is that I was able to have a couple of zoom meetings this week with no issues at all. It is great to be able to work for about 5 hours, ski for 4, then work for another few. I would imagine that as Comish said this would be more difficult on the weekends or during a crowded week when lots of people are online.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Was Lincoln low enough to soften on the N and NE aspects?

I really like 3” over spring pack when it warms just enough so the top layer is wintery but the pack beneath is styrofoam.

In way would have been cool to keep the top closed a few days and let the two layers bond together and smooth some of the corn out for when it does form.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    For those of you remote types another positive is that I was able to have a couple of zoom meetings this week with no issues at all. It is great to be able to work for about 5 hours, ski for 4, then work for another few. I would imagine that as Comish said this would be more difficult on the weekends or during a crowded week when lots of people are online.
    We have had 5 zoom's going at once most of this winter with nearly zero issues. Apparently according to the Suddenlink tech, it depends on what part of town you are in since certain branch lines have less capacity (Apparently Majestic Pines and the 15 area were seriously short on capacity in the fall), and how far your Suddenlink branch is from the main trunk which is supposedly near the main fire station on Main St. Take it with a shaker of salt, but honestly outside of a few super busy weekends, the internet has been great this year.

Got out for an hour and a half today. The groomers are great. Smooth, soft, w/ a firm base underneath the spring softening top layer. Didn't get too warm today as the sun was in and out of the clouds. The top is interesting. LDD pretty much got it. It's still fun, but there is a firm base with a bit of cream cheese on top. Didn't get over to Lincoln. Actually the top is smooth, it just has some cream cheese on top which actually makes it sorta fun. It is freezing at night and softening during the day.

Closed down to 1,2,3,6, 23 and gondi. Wonder if they will run 4,5,10 on the weekends.