Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Avi chute question. Which way are they numbered? I skied something skiers right of your shots that was rock lined chute with some exposure on the right side above the choke. I thought it was an Avi Chute, but it was much more challenging than anything I did left of it.

I don’t think it was Rivas, as it is the same aspects as the other Avi Chutes and I assume Rivas is just right of what I’m referring to and is slightly more easterly facing.

Thanks for the beta ESS. Hoping for more snow and a long spring.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Avi chute question. Which way are they numbered? I skied something skiers right of your shots that was rock lined chute with some exposure on the right side above the choke. I thought it was an Avi Chute, but it was much more challenging than anything I did left of it.

I don’t think it was Rivas, as it is the same aspects as the other Avi Chutes and I assume Rivas is just right of what I’m referring to and is slightly more easterly facing.

Thanks for the beta ESS. Hoping for more snow and a long spring.
    Lookers left to right
    Fun to look at the details on the patrols website for elevations, slope inclines, shots etc.

http://patrol.mammothmountain.com/At...tlasIndex.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet. So I was skiing 1 and 2 while there. 1 was way fun.

Thanks for the shots as always ESS!

We will be skiing Baldy the next two weekends, then a four day trip. We should also have a five day trip in late March, and a 7-8 day trip in late April. We'll squeeze another weekend or two in, then clear things our in late May.

We haven't been going up as much this year. Part of that is the fact that it has not been great until recently, part of it is the desire to limit the number of people in the ski lease. We have all been doing fewer, but occasionally longer, trips. The good thing is that Baldy has really turned on in the last month. We have gotten lots of Baldy days, and I don't mind skiing it while it's still good, then getting some longer Mammoth trips in lat March and April. If there is a late season surge it could really work out well. But I have to feel lucky when I can get two days a week of quality skiing on the weekends I don't go to Mammoth. It has done a number on my Baldy skis though, after last weekend I had some pretty solid core shots.

It really is great to see Mammoth look like the mountain we all love again. This season reminds me somewhat of 11/12, where things started slowly, then lined up in January, then were really good in March/April. That year Mammoth got 120 inches in March and April, which is nice, although certainly not anomalous. If that happens again this year we would end up with 300-310 inches for the season, which is below average, but okay.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Ott,

This video is from 2/15. It shows me going into Avi 2, from Avi 3. It also shows how I get there, going under chair 22, then cutting skier's left into Avi1, then getting into Avi 2.

I like all the Avi chutes. Avi 2 is harder to access than Avi 1, and is thus often less bumped out.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zge1l
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Thanks for the shots as always ESS!.
    No worries dude, glad you enjoy them. Here’s a few more from yesterday (Wed) & today (Thurs).

Mammoth continues its string of empty runs, nice weather and good snow that’s either spring or winter depending on where your at. No lift lines to speak of, skied right onto the chair almost every time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14E24D12-EAE8-46B4-960A-C45C886C9FD6.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	364818
    Even the Gondola line, which is usually painfully slow, was only mildly annoying. I was reminded by the liftee at the bottom that your mask must be on at all times in the Gondi, even though I’m riding solo, all the windows are down, and no one else will be boarding at McCoy. Whatever.

Name:	7B12DAC9-90D7-40EB-9811-D810ACBF3A0F.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	571.7 KB 
ID:	364824
    Good day.

Name:	345433C3-FA2F-4AD1-8A15-3C6DC1361610.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	648.6 KB 
ID:	364825
    Far lookers left on Climax under Balls was really good.

Name:	C182EBFD-F7AE-4E6F-B659-ECF5272E85B4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	821.4 KB 
ID:	364826
    Gravey Chute is surprisingly good with smooth winter snow in it.

Name:	4C9F7DB0-F128-464F-89EC-3807175228DE.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	364829
    Late day turns under Hangers.

Name:	93D22C3B-9152-4B00-A112-5F24020C48D8.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	623.4 KB 
ID:	364830
    Good snow on the run formerly known as Powder Bowl, now known as “Rustys.” WTF?

Name:	B88B8014-8B85-4E7C-AF11-13844C40A95C.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	364912
    Trippy looking cloud shading out the Mtn in the afternoon.

Taking a long lunch due to tired legs from the past few days. Mid week Mammoth is hard to beat.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 02-26-2021 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Forgot photo

The part of Climax under Balls, and all of TOTW really, is one of my favorite spots on the mountain. A nice, steep pitch, some rocks, until they get covered, and it stays smooth and wind buffed, no bumps.

Gravy look surprisingly smooth.

Not only did yesterday (Wed) seem empty, it was. Just talked with my buddy that’s a manager at Canyon Lodge. Wednesday’s skiers count for Mammoth 4659 skiers/boarders. Doing some quick math, if I divide skier count of 4658 by skiable acres, 3500, that equals at ratio of 1.33 skiers per acre. ... That’s a good number!

I want to book a month at an Air B&B next season. What is the month you guys think is the best to go? February or March?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

That will all depend on the snow. Can you split it? February will give you more consistent wintery conditions. March more so site to softening on the sunny slopes.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I looked on Airbnb for monthly rentals and was surprised how many I found.

Worth noting that President’s Day is as late as it can be next year (2/21) likely meaning LA schools ski week is in late Feb. That’s always an abnormally busy midweek time, although still not terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

After a stellar week of skiing with empty’ runs, good snow & sunny weather I couldn’t leave and decided to roll the dice and ski a Friday. So far so good. No sign of the shit show Friday’s of the past few weeks. Came in early for lunch.

Name:	55C73976-B674-40FF-934A-926882DDA1FF.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	364954
    Winds are up today, but from a more favorable direction. Hoping it moves some snow around up high.

Name:	5EB046D3-1A97-4439-9514-D7FF5FE2CEA4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	364955
    Just did a lap down P2. It’s firm winter chalk, not bad but not hero wind buff. Take your time getting in and watch your speed. It’s fast and falling will result in long distance slides.

Name:	03B7E465-ADC1-4026-A61E-4FE4FB46C294.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	829.9 KB 
ID:	364958
    I hadn’t seen this until today. Preferred parking is now at Ch 2. All the slope side parking from the red arrow all the way to the right of the pic is blocked off. The parking lot had been looking like a Sprinter convention every weekend.

Name:	D5945934-E9F7-424C-B9B6-7D0D2FAAA5B5.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	754.9 KB 
ID:	365009
    I guess if the Van lifers can afford $200k for their sprinter, mammoth thinks they can afford to pay $30.00 to park. Let the whining begin. Almost lunch so I’m headed back out to brave the Gondi line.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 03-01-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Things changed quick after lunch, and not for the better. Winds increased, chairs closed, top closed, lines got big down low.

Name:	21601B92-A172-4A9B-A43A-615502731827.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	630.3 KB 
ID:	365014
    Ch 23 just after it closed. The skiing, it was getting better every run.
    Bummer.

Yep, I got screwed again. Dropped kids off for Team at 12:20, by the time I got to ch1 it was crawling. by the time I skied down to 1 it had closed and 6 was huge, with 3 and 23 were closed. I bailed and by the time I drove by 2 it's line was huge. At the Post Office kids called and everything at main had closed and team was cancelled.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Yep, I got screwed again. Dropped kids off for Team at 12:20, by the time I got to ch1 it was crawling. by the time I skied down to 1 it had closed and 6 was huge, with 3 and 23 were closed. I bailed and by the time I drove by 2 it's line was huge. At the Post Office kids called and everything at main had closed and team was cancelled.
    For sure dude. I should have stayed high and lapped 23 at lunch. I did P1 all the way to the bottom thinking ch 1 to ch 23. WRONG. By then the Gondi was stop & go. So all the people in the Gondi line went to Ch1. It was huge, but I was desperate to get back to the top. I went Discovery chair to ch 12 to ch 14, hiked up to Scotties and hauled ass for 23 and it closed 10 feet from me loading it.
    FML!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Who is the chick ripping around on Enforcers, long brunette ponytail, was out on Thurs end of the day flashing 23 and ch1 face? Local ski racer?
    Hey,
    I saw this young lady yesterday. I was going up chair 1 late in the day & saw her arcing turns down gravey chute (chair line ). She’s on Enforcers and skis very well. Don’t recognize her, maybe a juniors coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey,
    I saw this young lady yesterday. I was going up chair 1 late in the day & saw her arcing turns down gravey chute (chair line ). She’s on Enforcers and skis very well. Don’t recognize her, maybe a juniors coach?

Yeah, she rips. Blew by me end of the day on P1 like I was standing still!

I'll be out there this Mon - Wed if anyone wants to link up and make some turns.

ESS,

I love that shot above P2. It completely captures the moment when you are getting in and right at the edge. Nice work!

Name:	6099B52F-23C9-4EC2-8FB5-3D9D596BF7BD.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	365603
    Spinning lap after lap all by myself, I’m starting to get really lonely. I wish there were more people to share this with. Now I feel sad.. I’m not sure I can ski anymore😢. JK!

Spinning lap after lap all by myself, I’m starting to get really lonely. I wish there were more people to share this with. Now I feel sad.. I’m not sure I can ski anymore. JK!
    hows it looking for the next couple days? Suddenly have a few days off.

Name:	6099B52F-23C9-4EC2-8FB5-3D9D596BF7BD.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	365603
    Spinning lap after lap all by myself, I’m starting to get really lonely. I wish there were more people to share this with. Now I feel sad.. I’m not sure I can ski anymore. JK!
    After 70k+ vert in 2 days my legs were just cooked at that point. Fun out there today! What a reminder of how awesome this mountain is.

Wish we had video of the snowboarder slide for life bowling on Cornice.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    After 70k+ vert in 2 days my legs were just cooked at that point. Fun out there today! What a reminder of how awesome this mountain is.

Wish we had video of the snowboarder slide for life bowling on Cornice.
    Fun skiing today for sure. Keep racking up the vert like today and you’ll be AK ready for sure.

How's the snow? Especially curious about 13/14 since it hasn't snowed much in the last few weeks!

I am headed up Thursday and may need to delay leaving until the following Thursday. https://www.mammothsnowman.com/2021/...march-2nd-2021

Name:  Screenshot 2021-03-02 192439.png
Views: 339
Size:  23.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.