Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Is this the 20/21 thread start? Damn grim.

I am not near as cool as I thought was back in the day so you can let it live or die.

No snow currently. All wind

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201117_081406.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	348462

Backside of Mammoth today.

Well, at least it is cold.

Here for the thread title
    sproing!

Ballsy skating this early in the season. And ya, with so much dirt out there, a bit early for a new thread IMO, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Is this the 20/21 thread start? Damn grim.
    Right? And I thought I jinxed it last year
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post

Name:	20201117_081406.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	348462

Backside of Mammoth today.
    About time we have a lce skating thread👍
    Shopping for skates right now.
    Mammoth Mountaineering or someplace else.
    11.5 EE foot.
    Tried the internet but they all run narrow.

Rad photo.

I'd love to skate on that lake.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

That lake wasn't frozen 2 weeks ago. Praying for snow!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Today there was about 6 to 8" of nice base building snow that skied pretty well. Visibility was less than stellar but coverage was noticeably better.

Good to hear. A couple of feet of wet slop would be great sometime in the near future.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

That looked like nice cake icing. Good to hear. Bring it and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    About time we have a lce skating thread��
    Shopping for skates right now.
    Mammoth Mountaineering or someplace else.
    11.5 EE foot.
    Tried the internet but they all run narrow.
    I suggest a pair of hockey skates. With a wide foot go with CCM. Don't buy the lowest end pair. Spend about 200. Are you close to Anaheim? Pure Hockey or Hockey Monkey have great selections. Hockey skates run about a size to a size an a half small. Hit me up of you have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Ballsy skating this early in the season. And ya, with so much dirt out there, a bit early for a new thread IMO, but what do I know?

Right? And I thought I jinxed it last year
    This is late. Usually skating Nov. 1st

It's not even Thanksgiving yet. It will snow. If it doesn't come play hockey. After 26 years in town I have stopped caring if it snows or not. Plenty of things to do around here.

Name:	20201115_210601.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	348672

^ some of my favorite photos on TGR. Skating down your way has been one of my goals ever since you started posting in the pond hockey thread from a few years ago.

Love the website as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    ^ some of my favorite photos on TGR. Skating down your way has been one of my goals ever since you started posting in the pond hockey thread from a few years ago.

Love the website as well.
    Come on down. Some of the lakes broke up in the big winds we had Tuesday. They will refreeze nice and glassy. Going to check out Little Lakes Valley tomorrow. I bet Long broke up and should be good to go around Sunday. Hoping to avoid the crowds escaping LA by playing some pond hockey with friends and family.

Shoot me an email via the website or on the gram @hockeymammoth.

That looks awesome. After visiting town over the years, I agree that te is a ton to do around there. Skiing is great, but you live in a special place.

I love snowboarding more than almost anything else, but I love my family & friends more. Don't think that being outdoors keeps you from getting Covid, or becoming a carrier. You'll still mingle in those damp lodges, still have to use a restroom, still be in a grocery store or picking up from a restaurant that even in the best of years, never feel totally clean. Oh, and all those skiers who aren't very hygienic, who smell of mildew even in sunny Springtime, they aren't helpful. Those mite-filled carpets and floors aren't any help, either. Covid19 loves damp and cold.

And don't forget (or learn this) that much of Europe and America's contagion came from some skiers who had just come back from skiing in the Dolomites (Italy).

This is the reality we now face, let's care a little more for our fellow travelers, and just sit this one out, for now.

Covid does not carry via mites. But that makes those carpets even grosser. Thanks. But it is possible to ski reasonably safe. About as safe as a hike or bike ride.

The pinch at mammoth is the small parking lots. The shuttles concern me the most. Once on the hill, it can be done. Dress for the weather. Stay out side. Pre hydrate and clear. Pee in the woods. Pack your own food. Bacon, shovel, probe.

I’m not rushing up and am hopeful we can see the other side of this peak happening right now.

And I rarely ever go into Vons. Too much of a shut show. I arrive with my own food when I get out there way.

Like other coronaviruses, this one prefers dry air. The droplets stay suspended longer and the airways are more stressed. It appears to do very well at normal indoor temps (72 degrees). It's not the cold that's helping it, it's the cold that pushes people together inside. Heaters dry the air further.

And when you say 'not very hygienic skiers' I can only think "healthy individuals getting plenty of sunshine/vitamin D less likely to fall ill".

But I agree. it's time to sit this one out.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Like other coronaviruses, this one prefers dry air. The droplets stay suspended longer and the airways are more stressed. It appears to do very well at normal indoor temps (72 degrees). It's not the cold that's helping it, it's the cold that pushes people together inside. Heaters dry the air further.

And when you say 'not very hygienic skiers' I can only think "healthy individuals getting plenty of sunshine/vitamin D less likely to fall ill".
    Schweet. CT a rental. Like 9 parties scheduled back to back so far. Party stays, leaves, LL cleans, new party arrive. All in 3 hours. Shared ventilation. Thanks tourons, don't blame for wanting to be in this lovely space, but like Yoga, just find something to do in your own neighborhood. I don't go to Livermore or Oroville and just start cruising around your property and yard. And when asked, most people are kooks when you tell 'em to get off your land. Yeah, Tahoe is rad.

Ok just gotta get this rant/vent out since it seems on topic right now. All these folks on TGR and elsewhere talking about resort skiing being low risk because they're eating PB&Js out of their backpacks are fooling themselves. Yeah it's better than slurping down fish bowls with your bros at the local dive bar on college night but you're still talking about people coming from all over the state coming to one resort/town. I'm not saying don't ski, just appreciate and understand the impact. I've been working long hours in the hospital for way too many months, but for the sake of not being a hypocrite I'm sitting this one out too. See y'all in 2021 and tear it up out there.

Ok rant over, gonna go finish my 5th IPA and pass out in my jeans on the couch. Back to the skiing/skating stoke!

I like the thread title a lot more than the extended forecast...