Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    ESS,

Those two Climax lines are some of my favorites. I love Sign Line, but I also love going skier's right, under TOTW. It tends to stay smooth. The area between those two zones tends to get really bumped up. I am always confused as to why people tend to hit that area instead of either going skier's left or skier's right.

Mt. Baldy has actually been really fun down south, I have gotten some great runs down to the lot, but I'm hoping there will be a refresher this weekend at Mammoth. My quota for top laps is not close to being met for mid February.

Comish,

Glad no serious crashes. I can imagine it would be nerve racking to watch all of that.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Is there still an Eastside backcountry thread? From Tahoe and visiting family and trying to find some partners for next weekend... Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndaddy View Post
    Is there still an Eastside backcountry thread? From Tahoe and visiting family and trying to find some partners for next weekend... Thanks in advance!
    There was one called Eastern Slope BC maybe
    Seems like its more popular towards spring when the approaches arent so long

This one?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Thread/page77
    Weird, i did a search, couldn't find it. went to my "stash" and found it from my old posts.

Thanks! Looks like it ended in the summer of last year, and then no new thread for this year...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AB2DE09-80B4-40E3-AFEA-C66F3529AD99.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	362086
    Windy & cloudy with the top socked in. I’m feeling a bit of a lull in the ski motivation today.

I’ll be one of those mid week ikoners for the 15th- 19th.

I was thinking we would hit June on Monday thinking ti would be busy for the holiday at Mammoth. But maybe not? It is not blacked out, but it is kind of like a Sunday for the long weekend.

Curious what we will find mid week. Like I said it what’s ghost town last season. Maybe a line at Broadway and at times Stump Aley. No where else. I have also been told it is typically not busy even in good years. Of course a pandemic year is different. Hoping the 70% lodging keeps it at bay.

FWIW we booked our lodging last March before all the lock downs. We’ve been plannin for this since we went last winter. It was our first time there in winter and we had a blast.

It looks like I might have solo dadda turns Tu-Th until 10:30 or so as the kiddo is technically in school.

I cook dinner and mom gets work done in the morning. Solid deal if you ask me.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Name:	IMG_4249.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1,005.6 KB 
ID:	362259
    Tuesday afternoon. Went up late in the day just to take a few runs on some new skis. Couldn't see much, misting lightly.

Name:	IMG_4259.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	575.2 KB 
ID:	362258
    Got out early today. Mid week=minimal lift lines. Climax is skiing well, Daves to.

Has anybody else noticed the new lift hours at the end of the day? I’ve figured it out thru trial & error i.e. I’ve shown up a chair and it’s closed. Last Gondi to the top leaves bottom station at 3:00 p.m., Gondi is open to mid chalet til 4:00 p.m. Chairs 9, 22, 23 close 3:30 p.m. Learned that yesterday when I rolled up to ch 22 at 3:40 and it was closed.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 02-10-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Note to self: take nice photos like Eastern Sierra Skier.

Lapped from 8:30 - 1:30 today, not a line to be seen anywhere.
    Firm everywhere, very very firm in some spots - 12, 13, 14 weren't great. Spent most of my time around Chair 3 and it was pretty good!

Looking forward to some fresh snow tomorrow.

Mammoth is often very firm between storms, so a good pair of solid piste carvers are usually the call for me while I am there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I was there on Mantras las February when it had not snowed since before Christmas. Those worked fine. Can’t wait to take my new to me Wren 98s there next week.

Question for you Mammoth mags

We will be arriving tomorrow between 9AM and 10AM.

Considering the wind, would it be wiser to go to June ( we are coming from the north)

If we do go to Mammoth what are the odds of finding parking near Chair 4 at that hour? And (cause I’ve never parked there) is it easy access to the lift and car there? Like if we wanted to go to the car to warm up for lunch.

We do have lodging near Eagle base but check in is 4PM and it looks a little blustery on Monday for our usual lunch somewhere out on the hill.

Here is our usual style lunch spot that works on a nice day. Usually we have the best views on the hill

Name:	Image1613317113.797542.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	362875

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Question for you Mammoth mags

We will be arriving tomorrow between 9AM and 10AM.

Considering the wind, would it be wiser to go to June ( we are coming from the north)

If we do go to Mammoth what are the odds of finding parking near Chair 4 at that hour? And (cause I’ve never parked there) is it easy access to the lift and car there? Like if we wanted to go to the car to warm up for lunch.

We do have lodging near Eagle base but check in is 4PM and it looks a little blustery on Monday for our usual lunch somewhere out on the hill.

Here is our usual style lunch spot that works on a nice day. Usually we have the best views on the hill

Name:	Image1613317113.797542.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	362875
    Report on today’s conditions were sunny, good snow, moderate crowds.

Without having looked at tomorrow’s weather, June is always an option. It’s usually half as windy as Mammoth. June’s bottle neck is getting out of the parking lot up to the Mtn. J1 is a long slow double chair.

IMO many of Mammoths best days are when the wind is blowing (from the right direction). Visibility is the tricky part. If you’re at Mammoth avoid the Gondola lines, stick to 23 if the Top is open. If it’s not try ch 22 (avi chutes) either from the top or traverse into them. Face of 5 and West Bowl have also been skiing well. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oh, I like the right amount of wind. 70-100mph ridge gusts sounds like too much for the top.

Only been to June once, arrived around 11am and we walked right on to J1. Can see where that would be a bottle neck in the morning tho. My som wants to lap it, as there was not enough snow to open the lower face last year.

Gonna get the weather reports and make the call soon

Current wind speeds over the top are 40 mph. 23 & G1, G2 on wind hold.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

It was windier that that today for sure.

Chair 4 parking was easy. Chair 5 was skiing great but my wife got vertigo so we did not go higher. Snow was great above 9K.

And I forgot my ski coat. Puffy it is. Storm skiing or not. Tomorrow looks fun.
    Last edited by Ottime; 02-15-2021 at 10:32 PM.

It was windier that that today for sure.

Chair 4 parking was easy. Chair 5 was skiing great but my wife got vertigo so we did not go higher. Snow was great above 9K.

And I forgot my ski coat. Puffy it is. Storm skiing or not. Tomorrow looks fun.
    http://patrol.mammothmountain.com/Home.aspx

Check this link every morning before you head up and base your decisions off it. It's a game changer.

Thanks. That is what I need.

Mammoth was pretty insanely fun this weekend.

My wife and I had planned to try to be done with our work by late Thursday evening, with a morning departure on Friday. Unfortunately that didn't happen, we ended up both needing most of Friday, which really sucks because Friday was nuts.

We ended up driving up Saturday morning, and skiing Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Saturday was nice as the snow started to fill-in. It was a lower mountain day, but they eventually got 5, 25 and 22 open.

Sunday was really great. The top popped, with lots of filled in stuff. I got a few great Paranoids laps, and a couple of fun ones in Hangman's. It was tough to get lots of laps, so we just took every lap to Main, then Broadway to 23, or the gondi. The lines on 23 were around 12-15 minutes most of the day, which is not terrible. The line for the lower gondi was around 20 minutes when we were in it. That's not bad all things considered.

The entrances to the Paranoids are still rocky, but it was lots of fun.

Hangman's is really fun right now. The choke was rocky and interesting, I kooked it up pretty badly my first run, trying to pick my way through the rocks, but my second lap was a bit smoother. The turns in the chute are really nice, and it is fun once you are through the choke.

The paranoids were awesome, as expected.

I'm really pumped to finally ski some good Mammoth terrain. Mammoth looks like Mammoth again!

Monday was fun too, with a new little storm filling in. It was socked-in, so no top, but I had a blast in the avi chutes. We started the day with some groomers, then I did about 6-8 avi chute laps and called it a day. The light was a bit flat, but the turns were fun.

My first lap was in avi 3, or is it avi 1? I always forget, it's the one furthest skier's right. Some of the turns were fun, but there were some pretty rutty bumps. For the rest of the day I cut into avi 2, which was great. Avi 2 was less rutted out and had some soft snow. I just spent the rest of the day there before calling it.

I got some gopro footage, so I will put something together when I have some time. My editing skills are somewhat limited, but it will give an idea of just what it is like right now.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Packed snow today, a lot of it was skiable. Wind was barely a nuisance. Warm at the base.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Has anybody else noticed the new lift hours at the end of the day? I’ve figured it out thru trial & error i.e. I’ve shown up a chair and it’s closed. Last Gondi to the top leaves bottom station at 3:00 p.m., Gondi is open to mid chalet til 4:00 p.m. Chairs 9, 22, 23 close 3:30 p.m. Learned that yesterday when I rolled up to ch 22 at 3:40 and it was closed.
    Depends on the day. When they opened 22 on Saturday at 2pmish they ran it till 4pm. Mini Comish and I rallied when we saw that it opened and got out for a few laps on 22 and 5 in the left over friday pow. When we got to ch5 at 3:40 they said it would run until 4:05pm which got us an extra lap in the 6" of pow.

Friday was one of the better in-bounds pow days I have had! 15-18" of pow, no wind, and not too crowded. We think we got around 11 untracked or nearly untracked runs. We were 1st into Rogers off 2 which opened at 8:15, then got a bunch skiers left of ADG, we were the first down face of 3 since the 2 chairs ahead of us had boarders who had to strap up! Then got first tracks down P1, then the most tracked run of the day down Climax as there were tracks, but plenty of soft left, before Daves and ch9 opened giving us 4 more untracked w/ no line on ch9!?!?! Woot woot. Epic day for sure.

Some U12 races on Sunday with a few pow laps on the top made for a great weekend! Got a few ch22 laps in yesterday, although the wind wasn't really blowing enough to make for a trademark wind buff day. The hill is skiing great!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Today was fun. Plenty of really good wind blown. I would not quite call it firm (I grew up skiing In NY, so...). Got and early run down Climax close the sign line in the middle of the convexity. Really good.

Over all best day I’ve had at this mountain. But I’ve only started coming out in winter last winter.

Even Arriba to a 3pm lunch of free grilled cheeses was skiing nicely considering the amount of sun that slope gets.

Best snow was West Bowl and Dry Creek. Climax, Dave’s, Wipeout and Paranoids all skied really well.

Never made it up 22 today. Maybe tomorrow.

What a fun mountain.

Today was fun. Plenty of really good wind blown. I would not quite call it firm (I grew up skiing In NY, so...). Got and early run down Climax close the sign line in the middle of the convexity. Really good.

Over all best day I’ve had at this mountain. But I’ve only started coming out in winter last winter.

Even Arriba to a 3pm lunch of free grilled cheeses was skiing nicely considering the amount of sun that slope gets.

Best snow was West Bowl and Dry Creek. Climax, Dave’s, Wipeout and Paranoids all skied really well.

What a fun mountain.
    Nice job on the pocket sandwiches.
    They went to 1/2 price at 2:40 pm
    Shooting for free ones tomorrow 🤪
    The whole mountain skied beautiful today.
    You picked well.

What a fun mountain.
    I really love Mammoth's windblown.

I grew up skiing NY too, mostly Bealleayre, Hunter, Catamount and all of those places. My definition of firm is different than some out here for sure.

That being said, the worst ice I have every skied has definitely been in California, frozen railroad tracks in May.

Here is a quick video of me skiing Paranoid 1 on Sunday. It was my first time in that entrance, so I took it slowly, I made it look harder to get in than it actually was. It skied really well, although it was cut up by the time I made this video. I did another lap after this, it was actually a better entrance than the other noids entrances I used that day.

What a day, lots of fun.

EDIT:

Uploading videos through Daily Motion does not seem to work here. Not sure what the problem is.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 02-17-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Another day of great packed snow. Wind was a bitch as day went on, though. Left early for Squaw. Looking forward to returning come spring time.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
    Daniel Ortega eats here.