Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiHick View Post
    Just have to say, I know you say you are being safe, but IMO that would not be following the letter OR the spirit of the law. This is a time for us to respect each other and each other's communities, especially vulnerable small towns like Mammoth. The order is in place for a reason, and if we all skirt around it or find reasons to not follow it, then we're gonna find that we're in this mess for even longer. Just my two cents.
    As someone who has been an adamant supporter of what the state has tried to do for most of the year - with the original shutdown, with mask and distancing guidelines, with the spirit of this order - I get it. I really do. My issues with the actual letter of this particular order aside, I recognize that in traveling I would be breaking the law and would in many respects open myself to being labeled a hypocrite. I don't want to put anyone in danger through my actions, and I get that the state and local authorities have no interest in my promises of personal caution and safety.

I only discovered yesterday that the region including Mammoth was moving into the stay-at-home tier of the new order, and I'm weighing my options to try to find some sort of joy at the end a year that has been pretty wretched otherwise.

mammoth is part of the southern california region and has been stay at home since Sunday.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Mammoth's isolation makes a difference in my opinion. Ski in Tahoe, sure, but not Mammoth. Just my two cents.

Good to see them moving snow around up top.

Name:  20201712_153249.895.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  40.3 KB
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Good to see them moving snow around up top.

Name:  20201712_153249.895.jpg
Views: 3450
Size:  40.3 KB
    The Storm is done? I saw reports that you got more snow down south of here
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

A clean foot of new snow out of last night's storm that lingered until mid day. Real busy at the ski area, people clearly aren't staying at home.

A “doctor” tried to rent a hotel room as an essential worker at Mammoth Hospital . The hotel called the hospital to confirm and he was caught lying and not given a room.

There are a lot of second, part time, home owners staying in condos who have gone into rental offices to get keys and have never been to their unit.

Shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    A “doctor” tried to rent a hotel room as an essential worker at Mammoth Hospital . The hotel called the hospital to confirm and he was caught lying and not given a room.

There are a lot of second, part time, home owners staying in condos who have gone into rental offices to get keys and have never been to their unit.

Shenanigans
    So they are getting the keys, then giving the key to renters?

I would think they would have keys to their unit. When you put it on a rental program you give up your keys? I have never owned a home that I rented out, so I'm not experienced with renting out properties in this way. It seems funny that the owners would not have keys.

I have not been to our place since the middle of November. The lack of snow has meant that Snow Summit was essentially just as good. That may have changed. The owner wants me to go up at least once a month to make sure everything in the unit we ski lease is okay, so I will go soon.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    So they are getting the keys, then giving the key to renters?

I would think they would have keys to their unit. When you put it on a rental program you give up your keys? I have never owned a home that I rented out, so I'm not experienced with renting out properties in this way. It seems funny that the owners would not have keys.
    Timeshares work that way, if that's what they were referring to. You can usually rent out your time if you don't want to use it and aren't in an exchange program.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Timeshares work that way, if that's what they were referring to. You can usually rent out your time if you don't want to use it and aren't in an exchange program.
    That makes sense. I also always forget that lots of people buy second homes and condos to use for one week and maybe two weekends a year, then to rent it out for the rest of the time. If we were to buy a place we would probably try to have our ski lease mates keep on with the same agreement we currently have. We take 10-12 trips a year, so renting it out in the winter would not be an option. For a while the place our group leased was owned by a couple in the group, which was great.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Skied Alpine Meadows on Friday & Sunday. Busy on both days with parking lots close to 95% full, lots of traffic on the runs and "healthy" lift lines. Headed down to Mammoth this morning and the difference was night and day. Cars weren't even parked all the way to Ch 2, and at 11:00 a.m. I pulled right into the Ch 2 lot. Little if any lines to speak of and I skied right onto the chair most of the day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	354215
    Stump Alley at 2:00 Monday afternoon with barely anyone in sight. I skied over to Canyon and back. Coverage on the groomed runs is really good and the snow is much better than when I was last here 10 days ago.

Name:	IMG_3823.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	975.8 KB 
ID:	354216
    Dave's, back lit late in the day. Winds picked up in the afternoon out of the West. Wind direction was perfect, 'if only" Mammoth had another five feet of snow. Winds pushed the new snow around down low which made for some fun groomers to carve around on.

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	354217
    Late in the day I headed off the back of ch 3 and traversed out into the Cornice/Lower dropouts area and found really good wind blown snow. Coverage was good, just go slow your first run until you dial in your line. Never hit a thing and skied it til closing alone. It was an easy traverse back under hair jump and across world cup and back to ch 3 and repeat. My 4th trip down to Mammoth this season and with the lack of crowds, zero lift lines, and fun wind blown snow it was the 1st time Mammoth has skied as well or better than Tahoe, IMO. Be here a couple more days until pass gets blacked out.

Your a lucky guy to have a place to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Heard there is talk of closing the resort due to illegal rentals and rising COVID cases.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

While the mountain hasn’t been too busy, a good chunk of condos/houses are clearly being rented illegally right now, primarily through offline friends/family deals. Just ask people in lift lines where they’re staying or go to Vons (although it’s undoubtedly a hotspot so limit your time there) where you’ll see the typical LA multi-household groups shopping for Whiteclaws and big group dinners.

The local newspaper also tested whether Bishop hotels would rent to a non-essential worker and every hotel they tried offered a room.

Hope the resort doesn’t close but could see the county health department shutting it down, although the resort has a ton of influence. I’ve been pleasantly surprised that the resort is still blowing snow and trying to get new terrain open despite the short term travel ban that I’m guessing is likely to stay in place through at least January.

Speaking of rumors, heard a possibility that the gondola will only load at the bottom even once the top opens. Makes sense COVID-wise unless they reroute McCoy loading to the backside of the building, which would keep you outside for all but the final minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Your a lucky guy to have a place to stay.
    I try to spread out my couch surfing out between a couple of my bro's. Rolling up my sleeping bag right now and about head up to the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I try to spread out my couch surfing out between a couple of my bro's. Rolling up my sleeping bag right now and about head up to the hill.
    I try to spread out my covid suffering out between a couple of my brobrahs. rolling up my fart bag right now and about to head up to infect the hill.
    There fixed it for ya.
    Last edited by duffski; 12-22-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Mammoth 11'053'. Get high not covid 20/21

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    I try to spread out my covid suffering out between a couple of my brobrahs. rolling up my shit bag right now and about to head up to infect the hill.
    There fixed it for ya.
    Sorry to hear about your COVID suffering dude. Sounds like your pretty bitter about it. Positive mental attitude bro. Best of luck.

P.S. I’ld be bitter to if I skied Heavenly. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Another good day (Tuesday) of skiing. Skied from 10:00 til 4:00 p.m. Last two hours of the day the mtn empties out when the sun goes away and the mtn get shaded. Overall the lines were very manageable with maybe a slight uptick in skier numbers.

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	354384
    Again today the go to line was off the back of ch 3 and traverse out under Cornice/Dropout. Lapped this for much of the day and didn't hit anything. Finish by heading past 23 and down Powder Bowl to ch 1. Snow was really good.

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	354385
    Parking was easy again today. Took this from my truck during lunch.

Name:	IMG_3837.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	354386
    Looking up towards the top of Cornice. Cats were pushing large amounts of snow from the top over the edge. Possibly getting ready for the grand opening in the near future.

Overall is was another good day of skiing. Back out again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    If they allow tourists to bring their COVID and dollars but not allow adult hockey, I am no longer going to pay taxes or follow their laws.

Is that normal for Cornice Bowl to have snow blowers set up in the early season, or is it new for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Is that normal for Cornice Bowl to have snow blowers set up in the early season, or is it new for this year?
    No new, they’ve had snowmaking on Cornice for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skied Alpine Meadows on Friday & Sunday. Busy on both days with parking lots close to 95% full, lots of traffic on the runs and "healthy" lift lines. Headed down to Mammoth this morning and the difference was night and day. Cars weren't even parked all the way to Ch 2, and at 11:00 a.m. I pulled right into the Ch 2 lot. Little if any lines to speak of and I skied right onto the chair most of the day.

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	354215
    Stump Alley at 2:00 Monday afternoon with barely anyone in sight. I skied over to Canyon and back. Coverage on the groomed runs is really good and the snow is much better than when I was last here 10 days ago.

Name:	IMG_3823.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	975.8 KB 
ID:	354216
    Dave's, back lit late in the day. Winds picked up in the afternoon out of the West. Wind direction was perfect, 'if only" Mammoth had another five feet of snow. Winds pushed the new snow around down low which made for some fun groomers to carve around on.

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	354217
    Late in the day I headed off the back of ch 3 and traversed out into the Cornice/Lower dropouts area and found really good wind blown snow. Coverage was good, just go slow your first run until you dial in your line. Never hit a thing and skied it til closing alone. It was an easy traverse back under hair jump and across world cup and back to ch 3 and repeat. My 4th trip down to Mammoth this season and with the lack of crowds, zero lift lines, and fun wind blown snow it was the 1st time Mammoth has skied as well or better than Tahoe, IMO. Be here a couple more days until pass gets blacked out.
    Possible also that you skied AM on a powder day that they opened new terrain and on a Sunday?

We were there Tuesday and only saw lines on Summit. Maybe a 2 minute line in Treeline and Roundhouse. Ski on to Yellow (which was skiing really really nicely).

Trail crowds were significant on the main groomer routes/chokes, but anywhere off piste was pretty quiet.

Of course, my wife and I were waiting for our kid, in that zone below the top of Roundhouse but above Yellow. Way off to the side, off the groomer. I was close enough to her that I could poke her eye out with my pole and some douche buzzed between us. Fast. Asshole has the entire 50 yard wide slope to use, and he uses us as goal post. Social distancing aside, I 11 weeks post shoulder surgery. Being hit by a brobrah going 30mph is sure to put me back in care.

Otherwise, crowds were not bad at all. And like you mention down thread, place emptied out around 1:45 as the sun slipped behind the peaks.

Another good day (Tuesday) of skiing. Skied from 10:00 til 4:00 p.m. Last two hours of the day the mtn empties out when the sun goes away and the mtn get shaded. Overall the lines were very manageable with maybe a slight uptick in skier numbers.

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	354384
    Again today the go to line was off the back of ch 3 and traverse out under Cornice/Dropout. Lapped this for much of the day and didn't hit anything. Finish by heading past 23 and down Powder Bowl to ch 1. Snow was really good.

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	354385
    Parking was easy again today. Took this from my truck during lunch.

Name:	IMG_3837.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	354386
    Looking up towards the top of Cornice. Cats were pushing large amounts of snow from the top over the edge. Possibly getting ready for the grand opening in the near future.

Overall is was another good day of skiing. Back out again tomorrow.
    That lower dropout area is one of my favorites early in the year. As it fills in there are fun little gullies, and a couple of little airs. I always have fun there. Once a couple of bigger storms come things fill in, but I love that area early season.

I'm glad to hear the crowds have not been too bad. That is a pretty insane parking spot for getting there around 10 am! We almost never actually drive to the mountain. The yellow line goes right past our condo, so it makes sense to just hop on that.

Back out on the hill today (Wed) and skied from 10 til last chair. Gusty ENE winds kept the temps cooler and firmed up the snow. The wind blown snow from the past two days that skied really well was absent today. Crowds were light again today.

Name:	IMG_3839.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	354553
    Downhill, the main run down to CL at 11:30 a.m. Normally this is one of the busier runs on the Mtn this time of year. This sums up what the business has been like all week.

Name:	IMG_3838.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	354554
    Daves looking very skiable. Middle chute looks like is holding some sweet wind buff. Haven't heard anything definitive on if or when the top might open.

Name:	IMG_3841.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	354555
    With the cooler temps today Mammoth put on an impressive display of their snowmaking capacity. They had guns blowing all day all over the mtn. Seen here are the Race runs from Ch 1.

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	941.9 KB 
ID:	354556
    Ch 3 had guns cranking top to bottom all day. Storms are forecast but they must be trying to bank some snow while they can.
    Overall it's been a fun three days of skiing with good snow and light crowds. I was in Vons last night at 8:00 p.m. and both registers that were open had ZERO lines. That doesn't happen often/ever.