Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I like the thread title a lot more than the extended forecast...
    Yeah, it's almost like an early season dump sets up an extended dry spell, dashing hopes and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    I suggest a pair of hockey skates. With a wide foot go with CCM. Don't buy the lowest end pair. Spend about 200. Are you close to Anaheim? Pure Hockey or Hockey Monkey have great selections. Hockey skates run about a size to a size an a half small. Hit me up of you have questions.
    Thankyou for the information.
    I was hoping you would post some skate stoke.
    After 5 years of owning here I am branching out besides skiing.
    So much to do here.
    Every long time resident I meet says the same thing.
    "I came for skiing but stayed for everything else"
    I get that now.
    Ice rink opens soon.
    Cannot wait to skate on a lake and at the rink.

No hockey on the outdoor rink this year. I guess a 5 on 5 outdoor hockey game is more dangerous than 5000 people on three lifts.

I don't suggest that the virus lives in mites, my point is that there's lots of gunk thriving in those old condos and buildings.

La Nina may do us all a favor and keep people from traveling to cul de sac ski towns.

No hockey on the outdoor rink this year. I guess a 5 on 5 outdoor hockey game is more dangerous than 5000 people on three lifts.
    Thats a bummer.
    Sorry 😞

Oh well. More time for snowmobiling and tooling around in the backcountry. My kid is going to be super bored. Not sure if high school hockey is going to happen. Our practices got canceled when Eldorado County and the Reno/Carson area started blowing up. The plan was to start in January. The problem is San Jose owns the Sharks rinks so we are their mercy.

Went up to the hill on Tuesday at 12:30 on “hoping” that people would be calling it a day and that the lines wouldn’t be painfully slow. Nope. Cars were parked within sight of ch 4! Lot, and with the lowered uphill Lift capacity (social distancing) I was over it after two runs. With the volume of people pouring into town today I didn’t bother going up to wait 15-20 minutes to get thru the lines and to the top of the chair to ski mediocre, mostly man made snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1892D753-00BF-4DF1-8554-D527B54542FD.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	349843
    What I did do is wait til it warmed up a noon and headed down to lower Rock Creek Rd. I made the right call. The trail is in sweet shape after getting some precip on it. No fisherman on the trail this time of year, just downhill traffic so you can take the corners fast and not worry. Saw a couple other folks in the three hours I was there. The top two sections of the trail are riding very well. My advice, skip skiing and go ride this weekend. You’ll have way more fun. Happy TG and pray for snow.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 11-26-2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Went up to the hill on Tuesday at 12:30 on “hoping” that people would be calling it a day and that the lines wouldn’t be painfully slow. Nope. Cars were parked within sight of ch 4! Lot, and with the lowered uphill Lift capacity (social distancing) I was over it after two runs. With the volume of people pouring into town today I didn’t bother going up to wait 15-20 minutes to get thru the lines and to the top of the chair to ski mediocre, mostly man made snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1892D753-00BF-4DF1-8554-D527B54542FD.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	349843
    What I did do is wait til it warmed up a noon and headed down to lower Rock Creek Rd. I made the right call. The trail is in sweet shape after getting some precip on it. No fisherman on the trail this time of year, just downhill traffic so you can take the corners fast and not worry. Saw a couple other folks in the three hours I was there. The top two sections of the trail are riding very well. My advice, skip skiing and go ride this weekend. You’ll have way more fun. Happy TG and pray for snow.
    I honestly don't see going back up until they get more snow. I only went up a couple of weeks ago because I had to open the ski lease. We skied Snow Summit on Thanksgiving, and it really is not all THAT different than Mammoth. I would rather stick close to home if all I'm going to do is ski groomers. Until some better terrain opens at Mammoth I don't think I will bother with the drive. I'm not all that pumped on driving 6 hours to wait in lift lines for groomers.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone else up there this weekend?...heard 17 & 4 ran to get access from Canyon...
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Long lines and manmade snow on groomers. They had 1,2,3, 10 and then 4 and I think 17 but not positive running, plus lower gondola. Helped spaced out the crowd but still long waits. They were very good about enforcing mask wearing and such. Overall not worth the trip until they get more snow unless you are seriously missing skiing (I was). If they get shutdown, I do not think it will be because of a lack of effort on their part to keep things safe.

Yep, been here for 10 days. Not sure when I'm leaving...

17 did run for this weekend. 4 and 10 are open, although didn't make it over there yet. One of the kids said coverage was thin, but take this with a grain of salt since it was a 10yr old report.

They are blowing snow on 5. Coverage isn't bad. It's just firm groomer central.

Re: lines, today was empty. Love how everyone heads home early. Yesterday was way better in terms of lines than the last 2 weekends. We took Friday off and went exploring outside bishop. Thanksgiving Thursday wasn't too bad actually. Heard Friday was the most crowded day of the weekend from ski team coach. So far the opener was the most crowded and each weekend has been progressively better from a line perspective.

Need snow though. it's just man made groomers...
    He who has the most fun wins!

No idea about conditions on the hill except that it was a shit show in town. We have teally reached new lows since covid. I do know that the ice conditions are about to reach once in a decade levels.

Damn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_110508.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	350597  

So, how's the snow holding up?

The ice looks nice.

No clue. I am avoiding the covid slopes and just playing hockey with my kid.

No idea about conditions on the hill except that it was a shit show in town. We have teally reached new lows since covid. I do know that the ice conditions are about to reach once in a decade levels.
    Damn, I need to find some skates

Firm groomers! Bring race skis or something with sharp edges

They are blowing snow nightly. Coverage on 1, 2, 3, etc. is pretty good on the snow making runs. Nothing off those. It's been absolutely beautiful out. No one here during the week. Got a ton of runs in during lunch yesterday. Just know you are skiing firm groomers and working on zee carving and its fun!
    He who has the most fun wins!

the elephant in the room
    Tomorrow at midnight, the Southern California region “Stay Home” order will go into effect. Mammoth Mountain will continue to operate for skiing and snowboarding during this time as permitted by the State of CA. We recognize, as does Governor Newsom, that outdoor recreation is essential to our guests’ and community’s mental health and we will continue to provide skiing and riding during these challenging times. Mammoth Mountain lodging properties will be limited to homeowners and critical infrastructure services at this time. Food and beverage services will be adjusted as will retail capacity. Lodges can be accessed for restrooms, lockers and guests services, and guests will be required to limit their time inside
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Here's the latest from Mammoth Mountain

Tomorrow at midnight, the Southern California region “Stay Home” order will go into effect. Mammoth Mountain will continue to operate for skiing and snowboarding during this time as permitted by the State of CA.

We recognize, as does Governor Newsom, that outdoor recreation is essential to our guests’ and community’s mental health and we will continue to provide skiing and riding during these challenging times. Mammoth Mountain lodging properties will be limited to homeowners and critical infrastructure services at this time. Food and beverage services will be adjusted as will retail capacity. Lodges can be accessed for restrooms, lockers and guests services, and guests will be required to limit their time inside.

If you have reservations on the books and need assistance, please email 800mammoth@mammothresorts.com and someone from our team will get back to you in 48 hours.

We will continue to update with more information as it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Here's the latest from Mammoth Mountain
    Mammoth Mountain lodging properties will be limited to homeowners and critical infrastructure services at this time.

If you have reservations on the books and need assistance, please email 800mammoth@mammothresorts.com and someone from our team will get back to you in 48 hours.

We will continue to update with more information as it becomes available.
    Ooops, well that happened faster then I guessed it would. Guess I will see you in 2021/22
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Welp, basically the same number of people on the hill this morning as last week

Ghost town. Very dark driving home last night

Anyone RV-ing when/since the new stay-at-home order hit? What’s the vibe?

In a normal year I’d be flying to the east coast to be with family, but we collectively decided we weren’t flying for the holidays. I figured the next best option was a couple weeks in Mammoth with the pup and the adventure rig, and I had been planning to make the drive at the end of next week.

Given the evidence of outdoor, masked transmission rates I feel like I would be operating as safely there as I would be at home (staying in my own rig, always distancing, always masking), but that doesn’t change the fact that I’d be in violation of the state’s ban on recreational travel. From what you’ve seen, are they cracking down on this or letting it slide?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    From what you’ve seen, are they cracking down on this or letting it slide?
    Not local so take it with a grain of salt but I doubt there is a whole lot of enforcement happening, especially if you're stealth.

Just have to say, I know you say you are being safe, but IMO that would not be following the letter OR the spirit of the law. This is a time for us to respect each other and each other's communities, especially vulnerable small towns like Mammoth. The order is in place for a reason, and if we all skirt around it or find reasons to not follow it, then we're gonna find that we're in this mess for even longer. Just my two cents.