Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fairy Meadows (Bill Putnam Hut) Permit up for Transfer

So we thought we got lucky and pulled a Fairy Meadows permit for February. But the border is still closed and we're a bunch of statesiders. The Alpine Club of Canada still plans to run the trips. So we're sitting on a permit we're not sure we can use. ACC is allowing us to to transfer the permit. So, who wants to go to Fairy Meadows?

Permit dates are Feb 20 - Feb 26, 2021.

This is how it will work:
    - We have 20 spots that can be filled.
    - One person (preferably a Canadian) will agree to assume responsibility for the permit. That person can then fill the spots.
    - As soon as possible, pay our money man $7745 USD (this is the deposit we already paid to ACC)
    - By 11/22 Pay ACA $10,500 CAD (This is the remaining amount owed to ACC)

***to be clear the money mentioned above is TOTAL. So divide each amount by 20 to see individual cost***

What's included:

- Two flights in the bird (from Golden BC to hut, and hut back to Golden)
    - 7 nights in the hut

Check the trip reports thread for historical trip reports. It's hard to overstate how epic this hut is.

PM me for additional details or to express interest.
    Last edited by Samski360; 11-17-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Prime Time.

Sorry for your loss.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Place is awesome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200210_133307.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	561.2 KB 
ID:	348425
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Attachment 348426

This is from last March (literally as the pandemic was getting into full swing in North America). Photo taken from the back porch of the hut.

Another sad thing I've read today. Scoring a permit and getting denied FM in March is a huge bummer. If you offered me early January again and told me I'd freeze my ass off the whole week in sub-30 temps I'd still sign up on the spot.

Edit: you were these last March? I feel less bad. Still bad, but less bad.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Oh that sucks. Under normal circumstances I'd take this and fill the spots in a heartbest. But will regretfully pass

2 flights? What are they flying for 10 people each with gear and what’s the weight per person? I usually Only fly A-stars...but could make an exception...lol

Interested, going to make a quick call to the ACC tmrw to see if we can make this work, will msg you.
    Drive slow, homie.

Damn - if I didn't have zero interest in being in the same place as 20 people and had the money to go with just a couple folks, I'd be all over that. Looks amazing. Hope you have some luck with this.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Damn - if I didn't have zero interest in being in the same place as 20 people and had the money to go with just a couple folks, I'd be all over that. Looks amazing. Hope you have some luck with this.
    Its only money.....
    Looks like it sucks

yeah, 20 people, no thanks....I think I'd even have a hard time paring it down to 10 I'd trust covid-wise these days

Agree with that. Going into a place (bunkhouse at Baxter State Park) in Maine that normally sleeps 10, but just me and my two partners.

That said, prime week in a prime location, hope someone enjoys it

Damn - if I had the money to go with just a couple folks, I'd be all over that.
    If you did that you might spend more time shoveling than skiing

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    2 flights? What are they flying for 10 people each with gear and what’s the weight per person? I usually Only fly A-stars...but could make an exception...lol
    Normally a 212. 407 does golden alpine holiday transfers then 212 goes to GAH when done with FM. Until recently only Bell (Alpine) helicopters in Golden. But now you can fly in your Astars here too! (Whitetooth)

Back in 2008 the Alpine Club of Canada screwed up their reservation system for the Fairy Meadows lottery the last week of March and sent out an email to everyone who had put in. They offered something like $400 US a person (heli costs) and free stay at FM for that week. We ended up with 5 of us plus an ACC caretaker who was cleaning mold out of the hut. Amazing week of skiing- lots of trailbreaking and deep powder, then plenty of room in the hut and the sauna. Now I can never return; it will never be that good again.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying, Go if you can!

Name:	DSC00260.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	469.0 KB 
ID:	348522

Name:	DSC00370.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	348523

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    When he says "includes two flights" he actually means "flights into the hut and flights out of the hut."
    When we went to FM a couple years ago it was actually four flights each way.
    1 flight in a large bird (I think a 212) with 12 people + a small amount of gear.
    2 flights in a smaller bird (I think a 407) with the passenger compartment full of gear and one person riding shotgun
    1 more flight in the smaller bird with the remaining 6 people
    The weight limit was, per the guy at the LZ, "if they can't take off it's too heavy." Physical space was the real limiting factor.

Won't be able to make it work with current ACC policies, but sent you a msg SamSki.

Here's some FM stoke for good measure. If you can make this trip happen, you should.

Name:	12778843_843527225793729_7537041733032124100_o.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	348531
    Drive slow, homie.

If you can swing it with low people count and a safe "pod" take the opportunity.

I was lucky enough to spend two separate weeks there, had Uber good stability and weather both times. One was more ski mountaineery of a trip and another just classic powder skiing.

Skied the whole gammot. My top 2 places to ski; tied with GAH.

Stoke pics attached.

Skiing sir willy in bluebird pow was hilarious when we could see CMH adamants dropping clients below our elevation on the other side of the mountain top.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Damn - if I didn't have zero interest in being in the same place as 20 people...
    This exactly.

I'm a little surprised the ACC is operating these huts like this. I'm pretty sure 20 people in a closed space that isn't regularly cleaned is a violation of BCs covid gathering limits.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Vibes for your loss, OP. That fucking blows.
    sproing!

Thanks for the stoke and support, everyone. You know times are bad when we have to make these sorts of decisions.

Damn, sorry to hear there are others in this situation. Best of luck.

Out of curiosity who’s booking the heli, acc? Last time I flew in there we just arranged bumps from Bush Harbour. Bring whatever u want, no weight restriction. If the pilot has to pull an extra loop on ascent ur cc reflects it....we had no issues.

A star flew in from chatter, after dropping guests, 10 min flight

Need to get there in a high pressure! No such luck yet....

I wonder if it makes sense that the ACC can charge full heli pop for 20 guests even if only 10 go?

I guess that aligns with their hut booking policy this year but is lame if you want to minimize risk. . .

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMTN19 View Post
    I wonder if it makes sense that the ACC can charge full heli pop for 20 guests even if only 10 go?

I guess that aligns with their hut booking policy this year but is lame if you want to minimize risk. . .

Weird- we paid member fees- $30 each per night, arrange are own heli....Been there twice on that deal. Once before lottery dates and once mid season... maybe a cancellation and they already pocketed someone’s booking?
    Last edited by teamdirt; 11-19-2020 at 02:06 AM.