Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apple Has Obsoleted My Computer. WWMD?

With the rollout of the Big Sur OS my mid 2012 Retina MB Pro is no longer supported. I can't upgrade the OS. Had a recent repair where the tech said it was the last of the really good hardware and told me never to give it up.

It works great, has all the ports I like including an SD card port. None of the newer ones have shit for ports, and to upgrade to the latest and greatest would require buying lots of dongles for external drives, a card reader, adapters for lightning to thunderbolt.

Those fuckers.

I know they do this every few years and have been through it before and survived, but this comes at a time when spending $2000k+ on a new one isn't exactly at the top of my priority list. When I bought the 2012 it was the top of the food chain, and I've gotten lots of mileage out of it and it's nowhere near problematic in any other way besides not being able to run updated OS and apps.

What to do?
    Keep the old one and say fuck them? This will bug me before too long as apps stop working/updating etc....

Buy something newer but not the latest and greatest? Not a huge amount of savings in that usually....

Bite the bullet and see about interest free financing on a new MB pro 16"?

Learn to live without lots of onboard storage and go MB air?

Or.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

If you are going to stay with Apple then bite the bullet. Otherwise, Dell and Acer have cheaper alternatives
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

I wouldn't spend $2,000,000 on a piece of shit mac that'll be obsolete in 5 years, either.

Learn to stop sending money to Cupertino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Challenge Apple to a ski off?

the new m1 chipset is amazing, so long as you don't need to be doing any PC-based stuff.

a lot of folks out there calling it a total game changer at the price. now seems like a good time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I wouldn't spend $2,000,000 on a piece of shit mac that'll be obsolete in 5 years, either.
    So you'd buy the phone then?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    So you'd buy the phone then?
    Is that only $1000k?

I get the issue with ports and dongles. Itís a balance of size and battery life vs having space for ports. Size usually wins.

Do you need all the power of the latest and greatest? Likely not if a 2012 works fine for you now. Your likely better off spending half the money twice over your timeframe then getting the ďbestĒ one out there and only use 30% of its capability.

A Mac Air M1 can be had for $1000-1500 depending on specs and it will run circles around you current computer.

Who Are The Apple Moderators Here?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Learn to live without lots of onboard storage and go MB air?
    Unless you need space to work on large files you shouldnít be relying on onboard storage anyway.

Posted something similar here a bit ago. Not sure anything in there would help. Decided I'd limp my old Imac along until it won't do anything and then probably buy the cheapest Apple laptop of the day. Sucks how they rope you into the ecosystem over the years.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...highlight=imac

Mrs. C just got an Air and it wasn't crazy expensive and it seems really nice. I'm not a computer nerd though. I'm still on whatever iphone my company doesn't charge me for.

Yeah, it sucks. My older '10 tower just became obsolete, so I bought a hot rodded '13 trashcan from OWC that hopefully will be viable for five years of OS updates. I own it pretty much only for Photoshop and Lightroom, and that's when I have to buy back up, when the latest version of Photoshop won't work on whatever OS I am limited to.

But, Apple is really switching over now, because they just realeased the new computers with their in house, non Intel chip. They already fucked with the Mini, which is a great value, by limiting it to a max of 16gig ram. Pffft. No way I'm dropping 10 grand or more on the cheese grater tower. But, in the end, they have my balls in a vice. No way I'm switching to a PC.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

I'm in the ecosystem and will stay there. I don't feel all that great about that but that's the fact for now.

The problem with the air is the screen size. I really like the 15" retina, which, of course is no longer available. Now it's 16". 13.3" just doesn't cut it.

Just perused their refurbs. MBP's that are three years old only save me $300-$400 vs. the latest and greatest. Doesn't seen to be a sensible approach.

Quote Originally Posted by East2West View Post
    Unless you need space to work on large files you shouldn’t be relying on onboard storage anyway.
    Which I don't of course. Been living with a 256 onboard for years, and outboard for photos/LR files.

Other World Computing has good deals, but, this has been a bad year to find a computer deal.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Find Steve Jobsí headstone and piss on it
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Iím in the same boat. All I use is logic x so Iím thinking Mac mini with 16gigs of ram

Would be cool if the new Mac hardware will run Linux. Yellow Dog Linux on PPC hardware rocked. I imagine bootloader will be locked down tight.

what updates do you think you really need? i'm still using a 2008 macbook pro. I use it to edit live music that i've recorded using audacity. basic number crunching of large files. it worked fine for that when i bought it, and it continues to do that function perfectly.

if all else fails..... linux.

You'll be fine on Catalina for awhile while you get security updates for almost 2 more years. What do you do with it that you need the 2k+ one?
    Regardless, buy a new one and sell it after 3-4 years, then repeat. I got $700 for 2015 mbpr with 16gb ram only 8 months ago. The new in-house processor machines only go up to 16gb ram, so I got the last intel one with 32gb.

I have a 2014 MBP that I've loved and I'm dreading the day when it goes. I've disliked just about every design choice that Apple has made since then from the removal of HDMI (I'm a professor so I'm hooking up to lots of different projector set ups) to disappearance of the Magsafe (I possess a crazy dog and little kid). My work desktop is now a Windows machine and I like it, so I was pretty much set on getting a Lenovo when my MBP died, but the new chips are supposed to be pretty awesome, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

If I were you, I'd just keep running your current laptop until you actually have problems.

Iím hanging on to old versions of PC (work) and Mac (personal).

Got windows 7 with legacy support through my workplace, so planning to hold out as long as possible before the dreaded Win10 upgrade.

Meanwhile my 2011 MacBook Pro continues to chug along. Other than needing a battery replacement and cleaning the fans, it still holds up. Can juggle my large photo libraries and operate long periods of time. That shit is getting run into the ground

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would suggest you start looking at security articles related to MAC books.

There might be a very good reason for all this.

Given that the US government is getting excessive access to computers through relationships with every processer make, Software Company and ISP known to man
    Needless to say the access is the worst kept secret on the planet and its a free for all for any shitstain around the world.
    They pretty much do whatever they want to anyone they want.

Apple might be? Literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Starting over full in house to gain some semblance of control over their Devices and software.

Anyway maybe this might be the one time spending the $$ to jump to the new platform might make sense.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Get a used recent iMac for Lightroom bracketing or whatever you do with it. Get a iPad Pro, with an aftermarket keyboard for sitting in the couch browsing TGR and emails. Also can use Lightroom light version or whatever itís called on iPad for light editing. Just a thought as we still have a gen 1 iPad that works and I own a couple iMacs. I havenít done the math of buying an iPad and iMac used though