Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My 2012 27”iMac is off the supported list too
    I’ll likely upgrade sometime this year
    It still runs like a champ: does great w/ 3D and cad & image editing...kinda annoying that it’s effectively phased out

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I’m hanging on to old versions of PC (work) and Mac (personal).

Got windows 7 with legacy support through my workplace, so planning to hold out as long as possible before the dreaded Win10 upgrade.

Meanwhile my 2011 MacBook Pro continues to chug along. Other than needing a battery replacement and cleaning the fans, it still holds up. Can juggle my large photo libraries and operate long periods of time. That shit is getting run into the ground

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Why? Get rid of windows 7, holding on to it is a terrible thing, especially if you’re at all concerned about security.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I got the new 16" MB Pro last December or January.
    I was worried about the dongle thing too- it really isn't a huge deal.

I have 4 type C ports, all of which can charge and deliver data. It is pretty convenient.
    Just got an LG 34" curved screen with Type C- One connection to the monitor charges and connects the AV. One cord for all 3 is pretty sweet.

My company sells receptacles with the USB built in.
    We are slowly moving to more and more Type C or Type AC.
    We are getting ready to launch a unit that will adjust its voltage from 5 to 15 V, depending on what the device needs for power.
    That will give you up to 60 Watts since it is a 4 amp USB output. They are testing another technology that should let us push almost 90 watts, which is just shy of what most MBP chargers put out (96 watts). This means that in the very near future, you will not need to carry your conventional charger with you, just a good Type C cable. I am already in the process of changing out m ore and more airports' charging pedestals to Type AC chargers. This next wave will be really cool.
    Point is, Type C is the future- it took them a while to get to this point. I am not saying it will never be replaced, but up to 100 watts of power, 4X data transfer of Type A, and a small form factor with asymmetric shape, I don't see it being improved on very soon.

IF I were in the market for a new laptop I would wait on the MBP with Apple's new chip. The MB Air is as powerful as my MBP 16 right now. They just limited the RAM on it. I think the new MBP 16 will come standard with 16 GB ram.

Apple Has Obsoleted My Computer. WWMD?

I left my closed MacBook Air outside in the rain a couple months back and it’s still working

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I left my closed MacBook Air outside in the rain a couple months back and it’s still working
    Solid.

Lots of good, and varied thoughts in here. Thanks to all and please keep them coming.

I'm far from a power user. The heaviest processing I use is LR editing. So 'need' is a very loose term here. I'm already irritated by not being able to run the new OS, just on principle. Again tho, it's far from a 'need'.

I keep getting reminded to update Garage Band but can't due to it only being updatable to Big Sur and can't help but wonder if those un-updatable apps will multiply as time passes.

I've always subscribed to the theory of updating only when necessary and buying the best and newest technology when you do. I have a stack of old mack laptops going back a LONG way!

The big difference here is that in the past there's always been a major improvement in form factor in the hardware, or the old machine was so outperformed - even with my meager needs - by the new stuff that it was pretty much a no-brainer to upgrade. Neither of those seem to be relevant right now unless I'm missing something in the new hardware. If there were some fancy new shiny thing it'd be an easier decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Lots of good, and varied thoughts in here. Thanks to all and please keep them coming.

I'm far from a power user. The heaviest processing I use is LR editing. So 'need' is a very loose term here. I'm already irritated by not being able to run the new OS, just on principle. Again tho, it's far from a 'need'.

I keep getting reminded to update Garage Band but can't due to it only being updatable to Big Sur and can't help but wonder if those un-updatable apps will multiply as time passes.

I've always subscribed to the theory of updating only when necessary and buying the best and newest technology when you do. I have a stack of old mack laptops going back a LONG way!

The big difference here is that in the past there's always been a major improvement in form factor in the hardware, or the old machine was so outperformed - even with my meager needs - by the new stuff that it was pretty much a no-brainer to upgrade. Neither of those seem to be relevant right now unless I'm missing something in the new hardware. If there were some fancy new shiny thing it'd be an easier decision.
    the fancy new shiny things here are 1 - incredible battery life (8-10 hours of heavy use on the air, 12+ on the pro), and 2 - the super fast m1 chip. in terms of performance, nobody else is really coming close at that price point.

physical hardware is mostly the same; same retina display, same case, same usbc ports, etc

Further research this morning reveals that larger screen M1 MBP's won't be available until probably Q3 '21. So I'm probably chillin' until then...... sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    What to do?
    Keep the old one and say fuck them? This will bug me before too long as apps stop working/updating etc...
    Why would any apps that now work stop working just because you can’t upgrade to Mac OS 10.16?

I have a mid-2012 13” MB Pro and am still running OS 10.14. It could run Catalina 10.15 but I chose not to upgrade as that would finally break compatibility with a few apps I need.

Those apps? Lightroom 4 from 2012 and Photoshop CS3 from 2007 which both run fine. I’d consider that a fairly long time to still be working.

I am drooling at the performance of the new M1 MacBooks but really my current rig does everything I need.

I posted before seeing your most recent posts.

Yeah, annoying but no reason to feel you have to update.

Edited to say I recently installed some new version of Garage Band on my MacBook and had no problem doing it or using the app.

I got 7 years out of my 2013 MB Air 13", and I was seriously putting it to the test running Parallels with Bluebeam.
    I wiped it and gave it to my daughter- works great for her. I have the Adobe Creative Suite though, so no problem running LR or PS or ID yet on it for her.

I think that is a hell of a run on a 'puter these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Why would any apps that now work stop working just because you can’t upgrade to Mac OS 10.16?

I have a mid-2012 13” MB Pro and am still running OS 10.14. It could run Catalina 10.15 but I chose not to upgrade as that would finally break compatibility with a few apps I need.

Those apps? Lightroom 4 from 2012 and Photoshop CS3 from 2007 which both run fine. I’d consider that a fairly long time to still be working.

I am drooling at the performance of the new M1 MacBooks but really my current rig does everything I need.
    Yeah, but, at this point, both of those Adobe apps are ancient history at that stage. If you're trying to stay on top of both and their constant revisions, you are now a subscriber. Sorry, but such is life after Adobe achieved monopoly status. Most of the time you don't need the latest whiz bang feature they just added to Photoshop or Lightroom, but, after a few years, let alone ten, it adds up and you're way out of it. For instance, the just released Lightroom has this awesome color grading feature that is totally worth it. For that alone, I'd buy a new computer.