Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    @climberevan
    Thanks - that all works out great.
    Next, I'm looking for recommendations on syrups you all like.
    Anyone have suggestions.
    (I'm a cheapo, so I'm probably not really interested in the bespoke, free-range, artisanal, giga-cost stuff. )

Thanks I really need to do the big co2 tank. I have a soda stream with a paintball co2 bottle. How safe is welding shop or paintball co2? I figure it's probably ok.

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    Here's my setup for bubbly:
    Basically a kegorator, but have a pressure reducing tap since we're running 50psi.

Make our own syrups, ginger, tonic, etc.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
    Bump.

Trying to figure out what is easier/cheaper - this or the OP’s system. I have a kegerator I was gifted but don’t use much (wine and bourbon fan here). So I have a regulator, tank, fridge, tap…. I can just buy a corny keg and fill it up with water and have sparking on tap?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I have a bunch if you want a 5 gallon one.

Pretty sure you'd either need to force carbonate then reduce the pressure for serving or use a pressure reducing tap like that one and avoid the fiddling around. I've been meaning to set up a similar system for my girlfriend but I haven't been ready to start messing with it just yet.

PSA: Carbonate your own fucking water

The OP suggestion sounds like a massive pain in the ass, and I’d much rather spend a few bucks on Sodastream refills than do the dance and have my countertop littered with industrial looking shit.
    That countertop mounted kegerator tap on the other hand? FKNA Awesome.
    It’s the difference between an instant hot water faucet and someone telling me they can boil water cheaper with a whisperlight camp stove and an old coffee can.

However many are in a shit ton.

I don't homebrew anymore but still have all the stuff, I tried the cylinder refill adapter and it's a huge PITA because the valve is designed to make them a challenge to DIY it...so I bought an adapter that goes straight from my big tank to the sodastream. It's great, I miss having a keg of soda water but this takes up a whole lot less space. If/when I redo my kitchen I will probably find a spot to neatly install it permanently.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

We have an RO system in out house for drinking water. We used to go thru a case of Pellegrino a week until we discovered this gem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	663.2 KB 
ID:	402645

Name:	IMG_2021.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	402646
    Now, we drink 2-3 bottle/day. RO + bubbles is just as good (if not better) than water from your favorite Italian or French spring.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Carb stone for the corny keg might help some people:
    https://www.morebeer.com/products/ca...AaAi6_EALw_wcB

Honestly though, it seems like a lot of work and space to take up for a NA beverage.

Here's an idea though, if your sink has a soap dispenser that no one uses, like in my house, use that spot to install a tap for the fizzy water (or beer). Been wanting to do this for a while and even got permission from the wife. Over pour goes into the sink. Viola! No mess.

Thanks for starting this, climberevan. Excited to implement this at some point when I settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    Is here a soda making thread, been trying to brew a good NA Ginger beer via ginger bug.
    So a soda making thread sounds great, but since I haven't seen it yet, I have to plug this NYT Ginger Beer recipe. It does NOT use a ginger bug, but it's pretty damn tasty and simple. The type of yeast does matter, so would recommend getting the one listed, either from a brewstore or Bezos.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...de-ginger-beer

Update: Ms CE remains in love with her setup, and we finally replaced the CO2 bottle after 18 months. The swap was much more expensive bc gas prices have increased dramatically, apparently.

Also, there has been innovation in the space. I just installed this system for a client. It's, frankly, kind of amazing. As far as I can tell, it is the way to go if you can afford it (about $3k). You TGR dentists should be just fine.

https://www.grohe.us/kitchen-collect...lled-sparkling
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

So… it sounds like the intelligent answer is to get a soda stream….

Thanks all.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I’m no dentist, but that Grohe shit looks FKNA amazeballz

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    So… it sounds like the intelligent answer is to get a soda stream….

Thanks all.

Only if you're ok with extra running costs and a significant amount of waste from the proprietary CO2 bottles.

Yes, the Grohe machine is the shit. I suggested getting one to Ms CE but she said she'd rather spend that money to go skiing again in Hokkaido, so I dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Bump.

Trying to figure out what is easier/cheaper - this or the OP’s system. I have a kegerator I was gifted but don’t use much (wine and bourbon fan here). So I have a regulator, tank, fridge, tap…. I can just buy a corny keg and fill it up with water and have sparking on tap?

You'll also want a way to get the carbonation into the water like mentioned below, with the lid and carbonation stone.

I got mine for like $30 on eBay. You can also dyi it if you want.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

What are the dimensions of a 20# co2 canister? Want to know if I can fit it under my sink, as that's really the only place I have room.

You can Google the bottle sizes, but it would take forever to use a 20#. 10# is likely enough for any home use.

Just get a 5#.
    And depending on where you live, they can be tough to exchange/refill so make sure you have a decent supplier for the CO2 before you go through the trouble of buying everything else.

A 20# tank will not fit under your sink. It will let you go a looong time between fills though.

Here is a custom table I built for mine.

Name:	PXL_20220125_152404161.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	953.5 KB 
ID:	402782

A 20# is more than you need. We have a 10#. My wife works from home and probably drinks 5-6 glasses during the day and I drink 1-2 daily. Not to mention friends and family that always poor themselves a glass when they walk in. It's just so convenient.. a 10# tank lasts us about 4 months.

OK thanks everyone. A 5# seems like a good idea for me because I live alone except when your sister comes over.

I live in SLC, should be able to find a source. Anyone in this thread happen to know of a local supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    OK thanks everyone. A 5# seems like a good idea for me because I live alone except when your sister comes over.

I live in SLC, should be able to find a source. Anyone in this thread happen to know of a local supplier?
    I get mine filled at a welding supply shop. Check with someone who does homebrew or your local brewery they'll be able to direct you.

Holy crap: gas prices have gone nuts. I just paid $68 for a refill on 5# and $200 to buy a new 10#. The ladies do love the bubbles, though!

Wut? Where did you get your refill? I think I paid $10 to fill a 20# tank in August.

Maybe our local welding shops are smoking the rock super hard. Both of them seem to agree on pricing though. Next time I'll shop around!

FWIW, I found the best pricing at the hydroponic grow stores. Though they may be less common in your area.