Wife Backcountry Ski Recommendation

She’s an advanced intermediate and seems to get along with reverse camber skis really well in variable/pow. She loves her Hojis as an inbounds pow ski.

I was thinking the Raven, but 170 is the shortest length and I’m worried it would be a little long for her in the backcountry. Anyone know of a similar ski that comes in smaller sizes?

FWIW she currently has backland 102s as her touring ski which she hates.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What size does she ski in the Hoji? And what doesn't she like about the Backland?

Praxis BC.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

174 but only inbounds in good snow. Her backlands are a 164.

She doesn’t feel like she can get her weight forward on the backlands. Not great at describing what she doesn’t like but often says they feel like they are too long in the front and she gets bucked into the backseat.

IIRC the mount point on the Backlands is pretty far back, sounds like she maybe wants something a little less traditionally shaped and with a more forward mount?

The Ravens are really easy skis, but I do ski them in a 184 which is the shortest thing in my quiver (rest ranges from 187-192). I'm having a hard time thinking of anything truly similar that comes shorter than a 170. Best idea I've got (not totally apples to apples) would be a Moment Wildcat 101 in the 16x size (forget what it is exactly). Not reverse camber but a similar mount point to her Hojis, longish radius, and can be skied pretty neutral or driven a bit, at least based on the bigger versions.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Praxis BC.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    X2 Not reverse camber but super easy to throw around in powder, especially I would think with the UL build. Caveat is that I'm talking mostly dry light powder, can't speak to heavier coastal influenced snow.

yeah, I am not sure Ravens are where I would go - they are bit more of a handful compared to Hojis imho, though only in shallow snow or more mixed conditions - in pow they are a hoot. The flat portion underfoot is significantly longer though, which makes them ski a fair bit different.

BMT109s are stupendously fun and easy to ski across most conditions and reverse camber, but perhaps on the costly side of things over yonder.

WNDR Intention 110s in 164 or 171 and reverse camber is perhaps the obvious choice, if perhaps a bit on the wide side and perhaps too similar to Hojis (?). Their Vital 100 in 167,9 and reverse could also be a strong contender.

The only ski I ever tried from Praxis was their EXP ( a ski I really liked), so if BC are the same just wider then that ski should be awesome as well.

My shorter female friends (<5'3), who want a progressive mounting point, tour on the Line Pandora.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

It comes in 143, 153, and 163, Praxis Le Petit, now called GPO Jr, in UL w/ Carbon build. A friend is buying a pair after borrowing ours. My females like them in UL and regular build.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Curious why she doesn't like the Backland 102s. My GF loves them, skis the 164s inbounds and just got the 156 for touring. She says they are super damp and float really well for how small and light they are

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post

She doesn’t feel like she can get her weight forward on the backlands. Not great at describing what she doesn’t like but often says they feel like they are too long in the front and she gets bucked into the backseat.
    Sounds as if it could also be a delta issue. If her touring binding/boot setup yields a lower ramp/delta situation than her alpine setup it could end in what you describe.

I have no first hand experience of this, obviously, but some claims have been made that female skiers delta preference is different from men's because of physiological reasons, angles between pelvis and legs etc. in that they seem to benefit from a higher heel position.

Some of that is mentioned in this article:
    https://realskiers.com/profiles/the-...ens-equipment/

Edited to add; Maybe there are some lady shredders on here, that have some insight concerning the above, that can shed some light whether it holds any truth to it??

I would try remounting the Backlands at +2 or so first. You should aim to mount them at ~ -6cm from center. I have Atomic Backland 117s. Pretty much the same shape but wider. I bought them mounted on the line and HATED them. Like the worst ski I've ever been on. Decided to remount them at +2 and they are so so good there. One of my favorite skis now.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Curious why she doesn't like the Backland 102s. My GF loves them, skis the 164s inbounds and just got the 156 for touring. She says they are super damp and float really well for how small and light they are
    Did you/she mount them on the recommended line or forward? I just bought the same for my wife but have yet to mount them.

Some of my friends worked at Alta ski shop last winter and the Backland 102 was one of the most popular women's skis, many of the employees had them too

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Did you/she mount them on the recommended line or forward? I just bought the same for my wife but have yet to mount them.
    Mounted at recommended I think, I'll have to check later. She is a strong skier, you probably couldn't go wrong mounting a bit forward

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I would try remounting the Backlands at +2 or so first. You should aim to mount them at ~ -6cm from center. I have Atomic Backland 117s. Pretty much the same shape but wider. I bought them mounted on the line and HATED them. Like the worst ski I've ever been on. Decided to remount them at +2 and they are so so good there. One of my favorite skis now.
    Yup I think I’ll start there and remount is pretty easy and I don’t mind putting another set of holes in them.

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Sounds as if it could also be a delta issue. If her touring binding/boot setup yields a lower ramp/delta situation than her alpine setup it could end in what you describe.

I have no first hand experience of this, obviously, but some claims have been made that female skiers delta preference is different from men's because of physiological reasons, angles between pelvis and legs etc. in that they seem to benefit from a higher heel position.

Some of that is mentioned in this article:
    https://realskiers.com/profiles/the-...ens-equipment/

Edited to add; Maybe there are some lady shredders on here, that have some insight concerning the above, that can shed some light whether it holds any truth to it??
    I’d heard this as well but didn’t know if there was any truth to it.

I have struggled with delta on some pin bindings and same sensation. If you are doing a remount for +2, maybe with inserts and play around with toe shims? Others might chime in with ideas on how to vet out if it’s mount point or delta.