Atomic HAWX ULTRA changes for 2020-2021?

It is way past time for me to buy a new boot, I currently have a 2008 Salomon Falcon Race in a 120 flex. I'm looking at buying the Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD 120. I'm looking for a resort (mainly Snowbird) boot that can also be used to tour in a little.

What changes were made to the 2020/2021 Atomic Hawk Ulta XTD compared to the 2019/2020 version? Is it just a new liner or have there been other changes?

Thanks!

New liner and color I believe.

You could probably just read a bit of the lengthy thread on these boots though which covers all this stuff...

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=308381

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    New liner and color I believe.

You could probably just read a bit of the lengthy thread on these boots though which covers all this stuff...

Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD aka Hawk Extended aka HawX
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=308381
    Thanks, long thread that confirms a new liner for 2020/2021 which seems to be the only change from 2019/2020. I think the 2018/2019 were a different color?

fwiw if you're looking to be mostly inbounds w/ a bit of touring, get the 20/21 version w/ the mimic liner, not the 19/20 version.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    Thanks, long thread that confirms a new liner for 2020/2021 which seems to be the only change from 2019/2020. I think the 2018/2019 were a different color?
    I think they also made the switch from WTR to GW soles that year, as well as upgraded the buckles based on experiences from the Backland.

I would def get the newest generation with the new Mimic liner though. If what Matt says is true then they should ski even better.

As an alternative, get the 19/20 boot with the lighter and more touring friendly liner, and then get a beefed up alpine liner when you want to ski the resort. I did this in the spring before we got shut down, just borrowed the liners from my resort boot and it was best of both worlds

Falcon had a pretty low instep iirc. My experience with a couple atomic boots is that they have a higher instep? Not sure how this one fairs in comparison.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insights guys. For now it will mainly my resort boot since I don't have all of my touring gear yet. From these comments and from what I'm reading I agree the 2020/2021 version with the mimic liner is the way to go but it is pricey assuming I can still find a 26/26.5. If I do find a great deal on a new/used 2019/2020 which intuition liner would your recommend? I have a low volume foot with a small calf.

If anyone sees a great deal on this years boot or last years in a 26/26.5 please post a link.

I ended up buying the 2020/2021 version from Backcountry.com, talked them into 20% off through their online chat.

I do still want to know which intuition liner people like best in this boot for someone with a low volume foot and small calf?

Bring on the snow!

The new mimic liner is pretty good... I've skied a few days this season on it (backcountry, not the best turns of my life) and in that little time I'm really happy with how they're performing. I'd suggest trying it out first before deciding to ditch for an Intutition.

Thanks, will for sure use the mimic liner this year and see how it goes.

Mimic

You are getting the same answers to your questions on multiple forums.

Intuition are awesome if you like light-weight and warm. Notice I didn't mention skiing?

Skiing is expensive--saving $100 or $200 on equipment is not a huge portion of the cost, especially since we tend to keep boots for a few years. How much money do you spend to have a water-ski tug per year? Gas costs per set? Driving your car up LCC?, tix or pass?, etc.

For the most part I am getting the same answers in that I need a pro to heat mold the liners. I also now feel this new mimic liner is better than intuition which is exactly what I want to hear.

Water skiing on a private lake is crazy expensive and the reason I need to save where I can but in the end I'm willing to pay for the best if needed. I do love my intuition water ski liners in my Radar boots, they fit perfect after heat molding.