Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BROKERAGE ACCOUNT

So FINALLY i landed the massive cocaine deal after years of trying! After the appropriate month of hookers and blow the bossman put the funds in a wellsfargoadvisor account for me. I have no particuar affinity to wellsfargo or whoeverthefuck, I'm just the cheep ass accountant who likely will invest in a 60/40 split S&P 500 index fund/bond fund. I may dabble a little bit with various mutual funds on the side but i never screw you (tony montana voice). Bossman has the funds in a wide array of larger blue-chip dividend-paying stocks which I gotta unwind, all with carryover basis and some capital gains involved. I have a fidelity account for my much smaller historical cocaine deals. I also have a TD Ameritrade account I ain't used fer years.

What do you rich dealers like and why, you know, for this sorta thing?
    "Can't you see..."

BROKERAGE ACCOUNT

I’m not the biggest fan of playing the market day-day / month-month. I’m not smart enough or have enough time to do the research. So I put 99% of my investments into Vanguard indexes. I’m of the mindset I won’t touch that money for 30 years.

The last 1% I put in Robinhood and fumble around with it every few weeks. More of a game than an investment to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If this is long term buy and hold index stuff go with Vanguard.

otherwise, go to r/wallstreetbets and find something stupid to YOLO it on.

Open a Robinhood account and day trade TSLA. Everyone's doing it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I thought it was all about the BITCOINs?

Vanguard here.

If it's in your name you shouldn't have to sell it. Just rollover to broker of your choice

I am smart enough to know I don't know enough about the market to play it day to day or pick funds. I have a close friend with Edwards Jones that handles it for me. I am late 30s and have lots of time till retirement, so play it a bit more aggressive, but still all in funds. Try to find funds that historically have been successful versus their piers and have a fee structure you can live with. Those are the three key things I watch and try to align with my goals (performance, risk, and fees).
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I like a lot of diversification.

15% Akre Focus fund
    15% T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund
    40% Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund
    10% Vanguard Global Equity
    5% Doubleline Low duration Bond fund
    5% Osterweis Strategic Income fund
    5% Vanguard Ginnie Mae Fund
    5% Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Fund

Sorry, not asking about what/how to invest. I got a pretty good handle on that. Just the low-cost platform to do it from. Seems vanguard is the odds on fav so far -
    "Can't you see..."

Sorry, do it in your TD Ameritrade account. Lots of choices there.

Doesn't matter that much who you're with. If you have TD Ameritrade roll with that

Buy VOO (Vanguard S&P 500 ETF). Set to automatically reinvest dividends. Check back in 20 years.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Doesn't matter that much who you're with. If you have TD Ameritrade roll with that

Buy VOO (Vanguard S&P 500 ETF). Set to automatically reinvest dividends. Check back in 20 years.
    Thanks! And how much money do you recommend for an initial investment on this plan?

Yeah, TDA is free.

I've got pretty much everything investment-related in Fidelity (just because I don't like shit all over the place). Works fine for buy & hold...

Vanguard index funds are the way to go.

For actual trading, TD Ameritrade and Schwab are both way better than Robinhood. Also, the Schwab investor checking account has no monthly fees and a debit card with unlimited ATM reimbursements worldwide and no foreign transaction fees. Fidelity has something similar, but Schwab has better customer service. You can call them 24/7 and get a person on the first ring.

thank ya very much all. very helpful!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

For actual trading, TD Ameritrade and Schwab are both way better than Robinhood. Also, the Schwab investor checking account has no monthly fees and a debit card with unlimited ATM reimbursements worldwide and no foreign transaction fees. Fidelity has something similar, but Schwab has better customer service. You can call them 24/7 and get a person on the first ring.
    FYI: TD Ameritrade is being bought out by Schwab. They're still separate names for now.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Vanguard a great platform and their index based investment mechanisms are top notch.

“A simple path to wealth” and jl Collins website was recommended to me on this site and is still paying dividends. Check it out. Felt great to dump my advisor and whittle down mutual fund fees, especially on investments not doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

I have TD A and Schwabb and I believe they are merging so I'm gonna let nature takes it course. My usaa went to chuck. When will Chuck and Fidelity marry

Quote Originally Posted by mtndave View Post
    Thanks! And how much money do you recommend for an initial investment on this plan?
    More.

I have similar question re 401k. I'm getting downsized next month so will need to look at options in what to do with my 401k. Presumably I can continue to have our company's firm manage it as a personal account. Not sure if they would change fees on me. Any other worthwhile options to look at? It's all in Vanguard funds right now and I dont' have a ton of time or interest to manage it myself.

We have funds in Vanguard and Fidelity because my wife's 401k was in VG and mine was in Fidelity and it's a lot easier to do rollovers within the same company. The expense ratios are comparable. I'd lean to VG but there is one advantage to Fidelity. If you need to do something like change ownership on an account--we changed it from our names to our trust--you have to get a guarantee that you are who you say you are. I forget the technical name for the process. It's not like having something notarized. You have to present physical proof of your identity. The entity that guarantees you is on the hook for the total amount of funds in the account if you turn out to be a scam artist stealing someone else's funds. Vanguard doesn't have offices, which means you have to find someone else to vouch for your identity. We were able to get WF to do it, reluctantly and after going to several branches, because we are long time customers but that might not always be an option. Fidelity has branches, so I assume you could go into a branch with proper ID and have them do it for a Fidelity transaction, although I've never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I have similar question re 401k. I'm getting downsized next month so will need to look at options in what to do with my 401k. Presumably I can continue to have our company's firm manage it as a personal account. Not sure if they would change fees on me. Any other worthwhile options to look at? It's all in Vanguard funds right now and I dont' have a ton of time or interest to manage it myself.
    I don't if you can just keep the 401K with your ex-employer or what it would cost, but if not you should be able to roll it over to a Vanguard rollover IRA with no tax bill until you withdraw. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We have funds in Vanguard and Fidelity because my wife's 401k was in VG and mine was in Fidelity and it's a lot easier to do rollovers within the same company. The expense ratios are comparable. I'd lean to VG but there is one advantage to Fidelity. If you need to do something like change ownership on an account--we changed it from our names to our trust--you have to get a guarantee that you are who you say you are. I forget the technical name for the process. It's not like having something notarized. You have to present physical proof of your identity. The entity that guarantees you is on the hook for the total amount of funds in the account if you turn out to be a scam artist stealing someone else's funds. Vanguard doesn't have offices, which means you have to find someone else to vouch for your identity. We were able to get WF to do it, reluctantly and after going to several branches, because we are long time customers but that might not always be an option. Fidelity has branches, so I assume you could go into a branch with proper ID and have them do it for a Fidelity transaction, although I've never tried.
    Novated.

Also, to your point, vanguard is a little less user friendly for access, especially compared to something like think or swim. However, it’s got my 401k money so part of me actually appreciates that “stability” and pain sometimes because it feels a bit safer.