Updated pack recommendations - resort & side country

I didn’t find and updated thread on this. I have an older model osprey karve that’s been great for a low profile back but it’s just a little too thin to fit my shell or mid layer in when hiking . So what is optimal size and which pack? 18, 20, 22, 25. Ideally it’s a pack I forget I’m wearing and don’t need to take off on every lift ride . I’m not really interested in dakine so considering osprey kamber 22, bd dawn patrol , ortovox and a couple of ortovox models. Can’t find a lot of reviews on the options ...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    I didn’t find and updated thread on this. I have an older model osprey karve that’s been great for a low profile back but it’s just a little too thin to fit my shell or mid layer in when hiking . So what is optimal size and which pack? 18, 20, 22, 25. Ideally it’s a pack I forget I’m wearing and don’t need to take off on every lift ride . I’m not really interested in dakine so considering osprey kamber 22, bd dawn patrol , ortovox and a couple of ortovox models. Can’t find a lot of reviews on the options ...
    This is a silly question. You realize there is a huge disparity and thickness variation between different manufacturers stated sizes, right?

Why not ask which manufacturer and model might fit what you are looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just looking for pack recommendations based on my need , so yes that’s what I’m asking

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Just looking for pack recommendations based on my need , so yes that’s what I’m asking
    So is your "need" full blown avy gear or a bacon sandwich and some water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

i had a BD dawn patrol that fit your bill. can't remember which size. it was old.
    swing your fucking sword.

Avie gear , layer , extra goggles , small water bladder . That’s about it . Likely not skins

if you prioritize build quality over weight this could be a good option:
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/d-route-pack?color=Gravel

If you're in the backcountry (yes, even short slack country) I wouldn't go any smaller than a well designed 25L personally. Avy gear, water, snack, insulating layer, skins, first aid kit, tools, etc are all mandatory for me.
    My go to for sidecountry and day tours is the Gregory Targhee 32, well built and carries really well when skiing with a full load.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i aints sure whats side slack or front countries anymore or what differenciates em
    so i lug the same big pack around
    i leaves it at the patrol top shack if im spinnin inbounds laps
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Regardless of how close you are to a resort, if skiing avy terrain you should highly consider an ABS pack.

Anything over 20L will be way more comfortable to take off on the chairlift.

I love my mystery ranch ski and packs, I use the D route for very short side country but mostly inbounds storm day laps when I prefer to have Avy equipment on hand, it has just enough room for a shovel and probe plus a mid layer and some snacks. Sometimes I jam an extra set of gloves and some really packable skins in there. But usually I ski with the saddle peak if I’m planning on doing any significant backcountry, this one has to come off on the lift but can fit a whole days worth of stuff in it.

They don’t come in any trendy colors and they don’t change the models up very often and they aren’t light. But they are durable and carry weight really well, my saddle peak is definitely the most comfortable backpack I’ve owned when carrying skis on it, either diagonal or a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Regardless of how close you are to a resort, if skiing avy terrain you should highly consider an ABS pack.
    The effectiveness can be pretty terrain dependent. Also, for some folks, unfortunately, wearing an ABS type pack will up the risk they are willing to take because they view it as a get out of jail free card. The most important ABS is (a brain structure) that is used for making good decisions.
    Heavy as hell for riding lifts too.

I agree with 25ish L being the sweet spot for a lift serve pack with avy gear. Some packs have so many features to make them undesirable for me (extra compartments, straps, padding, etc.) because it just adds unnecessary bulk and weight. This would be especially true for a lift serve pack. I would look for a basic design with maybe a main pocket, a pocket for your avy gear, and a small pocket or two for other personal items. A helmet carrier is nice but there are after market options for that.

Also, what skifishbum said if you just want to use one pack for everything.

JAGear Ridge Pack is the US made equivalent to the D-route.

JAGear is a cool us-made company I didnt know about - nice!
    For versatility size-wise, I do like roll-tops with side compression straps. Can go bigger but then cinch down much smaller. That said, I still have way too many packs

^too many packs you say, then check out WhatVest. no affiliation with or owner of either, just ones people have suggested.

Vests are the best IMO. Less swing weight makes for better 1080’s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

And available in snow camo?! Pays for itself

Thanks for the feedback people . Didn’t know about mystery ranch - cool stuff. Now looking at mammut nirvana 18/20, bd dawn patrol 15/25, bca stash 20, ortovox cross rider 20, osprey kamber 22 and soelden 22

If you are riding chairlifts with avy gear I would personally never use a pack again after using a vest.
    I have the Dakine Poacher RAS and while I have some quibbles with the design, overall I like it a lot.

yeah for sure for solely inbounds or maybe a quick bootpack, i love my Ogio vest. ride 40 days a year with it id say. My next bag is a 42L so I would like something to split the difference. I think a 28L would be ideal.

http://alpinethreadworks.com/products/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen Lee and others talk about loving their alpine threadworks packs. They look sweet. Prices are in CAD but still, not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk