Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: shroom picking

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    you have good success amongst the dung? i may take a trip (pun intended) to some fields nearby. gotta make sure they don't have the bulls out though.
    In my experience, the farmers were a hell of a lot bigger concern than the cattle. We got busted once wandering through a field on a lazy Sunday by the farmer who owned the place. Fortune smiled on us that day though. As it turned out, the farmer's daughter accompanied her father in our pursuit and when they eventually caught up to us we realized we knew each other from school. After some hasty apologies for the trespassing, he frankly told us not to come back but made no effort to force us to ditch the booty. That was a good day.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Here's a few pics I took this year.

Huge flush of psilocybe ovoideocystidiata.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	353166

Some nice psilocybe cyanescens.

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	353167

Massive find of Morels.

Name:	IMG_E2203.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	353168

Queen Bolete.

Name:	IMG_E2910.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	353169

^^^ damn what an incredible flush there, super healthy!

Name:	IMG_6479.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	375943

Name:	IMG_6478.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	375944

Name:	IMG_6475.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	375945

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	375964

Morels were out early this year in our area with our crazy pogo stick weather. Then it got very dry and that was it for picking. Have a couple of bags of frozen in the fridge but they were very sandy even after brushing and soaking. Made some nice pasta sauce with added ramps we found in town.

Yellow Elanor has an entertaining and educational channel on this subject. Just look her up on Youtube.

Aside from the morels we're too chicken to pick anything else.

i went looking for morels yesterday but i could not find any : ( snow melted late up high i might have been to early.
    but today third step into the forest there were some tiny cantharellus.

still very small and scattered out : ) but got a handful
    mushroom season 2021 is on!!! let it rain and let the sunshine : )

Name:	DSC02801.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	378919

My yard has been a fungus experiment in progress this year. The variety has been amazing, some days there are 20 or more different types of mushrooms.

Anyone know what this is? It looks similar to Lions mane, but it was on some sort of dead conifer. Lions mane only grow in hardwood, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Anyone know what this is? It looks similar to Lions mane, but it was on some sort of dead conifer. Lions mane only grow in hardwood, no?
    Damn dude that is a healthy mushroom

I'm 95% certain that is Lion's Mane - according to Miller's book North American Mushrooms they can grow on hardwood and on conifer. The only other thing that would be close might be a Ramaria species, but my money is on Hericium (lion's mane).

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Looks like bears head tooth (Hericium americanum).

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Looks like bears head tooth (Hericium americanum).
    harvest and eat that, lucky you

subbed. made some bolete risotto the other night. so good.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

There is one move i always do when i am uncertain. Take a lil bit. Leave it in your mouth for 15min. If it gets bitter/bad it is a nono.
    Most of the time, i am just curious. And then i curse for putting strange unknown fungi in my mouth : )

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    There is one move i always do when i am uncertain. Take a lil bit. Leave it in your mouth for 15min. If it gets bitter/bad it is a nono.
    Most of the time, i am just curious. And then i curse for putting strange unknown fungi in my mouth : )
    unfortunately, that's not always indicative. many poisonous mushrooms are sweet tasting (cortinarius species for example). you can always do the 'increased exposure' methodology, but that certainly isn't foolproof.

putting mushrooms in your mouth is not inherently dangerous, and it can be a good indicator - for example, the best way to tell safe russula species vs dangerous ones is by putting it in your mouth. safe russula will be sweet like almonds, dangerous russula will taste like anything from arugula to jalapeno/serrano. like unmistakably hot.

pics, unrelated: lactarius deliciosus (which lives up to its name) and two amanitas muscaria ssp formosa, the unique yellow muscaria that is found only in Utah (among the biggest I've seen!!),

Name:	Image1631201165.061843.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	384871
    What’s this big boy?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Name:	Image1631201165.061843.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	384871
    What’s this big boy?

it's impossible to say without seeing the stem and the underside of the cap, but it's very likely that it is a birch/Aspen bolete (Leccinum insigne). if the underside looks like a sponge instead of gills, it's a bolete. fantastic eating - we harvested and dried like 10lbs of them and use them for soup base.

I’ve been finding a ton of mushrooms, but I haven’t gotten over my fear of them. I had my stomach pumped from eating some when I was a kid, so even nearly positive identification leaves enough doubt that I avoid them.

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	384878

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	384879

Name:	IMG_1256.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	384880

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    it's impossible to say without seeing the stem and the underside of the cap, but it's very likely that it is a birch/Aspen bolete (Leccinum insigne). if the underside looks like a sponge instead of gills, it's a bolete. fantastic eating - we harvested and dried like 10lbs of them and use them for soup base.

Totally agree. If that is a bolete (spongy bottom) and isn't wormie, that's a score.

Here's my haul from yesterday. Just went on a bike ride (Shangri-la, awesome ride btw), and there they were. A couple of boletes, some chantrelles and a caulifower. Great haul for not even thinking about picking anything before the ride. Gaia provides, yo!

Name:	shroom haul.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	384882
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Nice Gary!! Jealous of the chanterelles.

ZZZ, the first two you posted are russula species. If they taste at all hot or spicy, they're dangerous. If they are sweet, they should be edible.

Thanks, I’ll go back and check them out. There were quite a few, some as large as plates

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Thanks, I’ll go back and check them out. There were quite a few, some as large as plates

yeah, they get big. unfortunately, the big ones often get wormy too.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Totally agree. If that is a bolete (spongy bottom) and isn't wormie, that's a score.

Here's my haul from yesterday. Just went on a bike ride (Shangri-la, awesome ride btw), and there they were. A couple of boletes, some chantrelles and a caulifower. Great haul for not even thinking about picking anything before the ride. Gaia provides, yo!

Name:	shroom haul.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	384882
    Nice lobsters!. Haven't seen them pop here yet, but they should be coming out any time now. Need to start visiting my matsutake spots too.

Is there anything that looks like this and has the spongy look that is poisonous?

I get a lot of these on the lawn. I pick and toss them before the dog goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Nice lobsters!. Haven't seen them pop here yet, but they should be coming out any time now. Need to start visiting my matsutake spots too.
    Right you are man. My bad. I suppose you're supposed to know your species before you eat em eh? What a Moran. To my defence I did know they were edible as I'd eaten them before without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Is there anything that looks like this and has the spongy look that is poisonous?

I get a lot of these on the lawn. I pick and toss them before the dog goes out.
    Yes there is, but not where I live. However I think you should listen to BCmtnhound, and not me...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!