Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: shroom picking

Overnight temps are getting low and early morning humidity is rising, but the rain forecast has dwindled to nothing. So I guess I’ll have to wait for my lobster sites to produce, let alone my matsutakes

Oh well, the upper elevation huckberries are in full production. Lots of chickens around for the start of the grouse season, so not all bad.

I am hunting for amanita muscarias. I was randomly hooked up with muscimol extract, and i found it penis restful sleep. It worked especially well for nights with little sleep before big ski/mo objectives. I was surprisingly clear headed when walking up after 4-5 hours of sleep.

Since there's not much competition for these, any tips when and where I can score these around the sea to sky?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I was randomly hooked up with muscimol extract, and i found it penis restful sleep.
    orly

Neckdeep, Tgapp and a few others of you, just curious if any of you use inaturalist?

I am hunting for amanita muscarias. I was randomly hooked up with muscimol extract, and i found it penis restful sleep. It worked especially well for nights with little sleep before big ski/mo objectives. I was surprisingly clear headed when walking up after 4-5 hours of sleep.

Since there's not much competition for these, any tips when and where I can score these around the sea to sky?

I'm not glad to know this, because the partial interview I listened to was painful. But maybe you could try one of the two here? Gotta stick with those lunar infusions you know.

An essence of fly agaric mushrooms (amanita muscaria var guessowii) wild harvested in Ontario, Canada. A mushroom essence is made with the same methods and intention of flower essences, but instead of flowers, the fruiting body of the fungi is used and the essence is lunar-infused rather than solar-infused to be more in line with mushrooms’ associations with darkness and the underworld. An essence is a safe way to ingest this famous poisonous toadstool and work with its spirit and medicine. An essence is a significantly diluted water infusion used for folk magic and homeopathic healing and does not have physical effects. Essences are not tinctures or extracts. Please visit our tinctures shop section if that is what you are looking for.

This var. guessowii essence has the same properties as amanita muscaria, but is for those who specifically want to work with the species of this magic mushroom native to Eastern N. America known for its yellow to orange cap and substantial size. Fly agaric mushroom essence is used for understanding microcosms and macrocosms when we are stuck in myopic views. It can help people emotionally recover from sexual abuse, emotional pain, rejection, and other insecurities. It can enhance creativity, self-expression, visual art, dance, music, poetry, writing and other valuable arts. Fly agaric can enhance our ability to connect with the sacred, the otherworld, the spirit world, nature, and the ancestors. It is a bridge between worlds. It is the World Tree as a mushroom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220829_152431.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	425943

In the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, the yellow variant of muscaria grows in the same habitat that porcini favor, the moist areas of spruce-fir forest and especially along the border of forest and alpine meadows. It's pretty common to see muscaria, porcini and hawk wings growing in close proximity. When you see one, look around for the others. Muscaria likes high elevation.

Have not noticed fly agarics in the sea to sky, many times in the interior and northern coast areas. Usually associated with open fields, or disturbed forests near Abies (true firs) and sometimes Tsuga (hemlock). Soils usually well-drained/coarse/gravelly like those associated with flood plains or glacial-fluvial terraces. They should be starting to come out now until late fall, before the hard frosts.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    In the greater Yellowstone ecosystem, the yellow variant of muscaria grows in the same habitat that porcini favor, the moist areas of spruce-fir forest and especially along the border of forest and alpine meadows. It's pretty common to see muscaria, porcini and hawk wings growing in close proximity. When you see one, look around for the others. Muscaria likes high elevation.
    Yeah the guessowi variation is the yellow one. We get them a ton in Utah - it's probably the second or third most common mushroom I see around here.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Everything I read lists guessowi as an east of the Rockies mushroom. I don't know what they are so I just call them yellow amanita. I'm very target focused when I hunt. Don't pay a lot of attention to anything else. Not much of an expert on non-edibles, I only know basic genus characteristics.

I’ve seen variations in colour in fly agrarics from the typical brilliant red, yellow, to almost white, sometimes right next to one another. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the colour id in the case of the amanitas.

Name:	20220829_144722.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	425947

Name:	20220829_144800.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	425948

Name:	20220829_144942.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	425951

Name:	20220829_145012.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	425953

Name:	20220829_145156.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	425954

Name:	20220829_145536.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	425955

Name:	20220829_145818.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	425956

Name:	20220829_145452.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	425957

Name:	20220829_145806.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	425959

Name:	20220829_150303.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	425960

Name:	20220829_151737.jpg 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	425962

Name:	20220829_152549.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	425969

Name:	20220829_145919.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	425971

Name:	20220829_150224.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	425972

Quote Originally Posted by Twat View Post
    I want a TR ot of this haul? I am to much of a limpdick for that shit.

Can you pick out the P. cyanescens in the last bunch I posted?

No i cant spot them. Caps on number 3 look good, but not enough blue on the stem...
    Stems are sorta brown...pretty sure they're not Galerina marginata though...and they look a little dark for wet Kuehneromyces mutabilis...pretty sure I did see some purple oxidized psilocybin on some little brown mushrooms, and on a larger whitish mushroom on that same trail [all these pics incl the Amanita were in less than a mile and prob all taken within 20 minutes of each other].

Edit: Those brown wavy caps may be Laccaria laccata "Lackluster Laccaria" [which may have been named by someone who thought they were cyanescens]

One of the most commonly encountered gilled mushrooms in
    southern Alaskan forests, this species can be highly variable in
    size and appearance. The cap is pinkish orange to cinnamon.
    The gills are thick, well-spaced, and whitish to pink, and the
    spores are white. The stalk is very fibrous and often darker
    than the cap, with whitish fuzz at the base.Laccaria bicolor
    (not pictured) is very similar and also occurs in our area. It
    differs by having purplish gills and purple fuzz at the base of
    the stalk. Both species are edible, but aren’t often collected.

The solid red cap is Russula emetica "The Sickener"

Russula emeticais another associate of spruces, often
    occurring in sphagnum moss. It has a bright cherry red
    cap and pure white gills, spores, and stalk. The taste is
    immediately very hot-peppery and the mushroom is
    considered to be poisonous.

And the big bolete that looks like a dead liver is Boletus coniferarum "Pine Bolete"

One of the larger mushrooms you will encounter in southern
    Alaska,Boletus coniferarumis rather attractive and looks
    like it just has to be good to eat. The cap is dark olive-gray to
    gray-brown and usually somewhat velvety when young. The
    tubes are yellow and stain dark blue when cut or injured. The
    stalk is pale yellow or olivaceous to blackish in age, lacks red,
    has fine net-like ridges at the apex, is thick, and is sometimes
    enlarged at the base. The flesh is white to yellowish, stains
    blue quickly after cutting, and is extremely bitter, which,
    unfortunately, renders the mushroom inedible despite its
    tempting looks.

Last edited by highangle; 09-10-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Wind Rivers were just loaded with porcini this week.

These look safe...

Name:	Mushroom_yellow-3296.jpg 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	426090

Name:	Mushroom_yellow-3320.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	426091

Name:	Mushroom_yellow-3279.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	426092
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Something in the ramaria genus. Commonly referred to as coral fungus, the group contains edible species but nothing considered choice. Like many edible but less than choice mushrooms, they are commonly consumed in cultures that traditionally knew food shortages. Some species are known to cause severe gastrointestinal distress. It's a large genus with considerable overlapping features among species so one needs to be sure they have a correct ID, hopefully from someone with local experience eating them. Even so, the worst reported outcome is a bad case of the shits.
    Thanks neckdeep!

Attachment 426336
    3h very target orientated hiking = annual supply. this was already the 2nd haul in the past week.
    they are super early this season. usually it´s not worth looking before the 21st of September but vegetation is roughly 3weeks ahead this season. whatever that means for this winter? it is a good sign!
    If you find extra I am happy to trade for dope coffee

Interested in them for microscopy purposes of course

Hedgehog mushrooms, I think neorepandum. Formerly hydnum repandum, the new binomial for the classic west of the Rockies hedgehog is hydnum neorepandum. Repandum is now exclusive to Europe. There's over a dozen new American species, so most guides are obsolete. Kinda rare in these parts, seems like it usually gets too dry or too cold before they show. I find about 100 chanterelles for every little cluster of hedgehogs. If I find 25 in a day, I'm doing pretty good.

Name:	20220919_215320.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	426941

Name:	20220919_145727.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	426942

Name:	20220919_135048.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	426943

A shrimp russula/crab brittlegill; russula xerampelina is the type species for the clade but xerampelina is exclusively European. North American species are currently being sorted out. This is the classic type: purplish to wine colored cap, obvious pink flush on stipe and strong seafood smell. When they are this mature, you can smell a patch of them 10 feet away. Can be abundant here in a warm, wet fall season. Saw hundreds yesterday. Considered choice by many but I don't mess around with russulas. Too many lookalikes.

Name:	20220919_134958.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	426944
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-19-2022 at 11:53 PM.

Your knowledge is impressive. Thanks for posting.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Agreed on the knowledge, keep sharing with us!! Love your posts.

A shrimp russula/crab brittlegill; russula xerampelina is the type species for the clade but xerampelina is exclusively European. North American species are currently being sorted out. This is the classic type: purplish to wine colored cap, obvious pink flush on stipe and strong seafood smell. When they are this mature, you can smell a patch of them 10 feet away. Can be abundant here in a warm, wet fall season. Saw hundreds yesterday. Considered choice by many but I don't mess around with russulas. Too many lookalikes.
    Question on these, I thought that a definitive field test for Russula so was tasting them (and spitting them out); my understanding is that all Russula in north America that cause GI issues also taste spicy (peppery), while the crab brittle gill is remarkably not spicy or hot at all.

I don't harvest russula but I do taste them from time to time, just because the spice is real. So is the poison, I guess.

Love these late stage Coprinus comatus - got a ton of them in our yard, but I like watching them melt more than I like harvesting and eating them

I'll smell a mushroom but I don't taste test anything. I've got such a keen sense of smell that I usually regret sniffing mystery mushrooms. I don't like the smell of dirt to begin with. I like it a lot less when it's mixed with that dank moldy/mildew stank so many shrooms seem to have.

Believe it or not, when the air in the forest is dead calm, I can often smell when I've entered a patch of black morels.

Never seen this before. A second crop of chanterelles in late September. Came up in a spot that was too warm back in August but is now the only place still warm enough. Not the best photo but there's probably 40 in the grass.

Name:	20220922_050750.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	427132
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-22-2022 at 05:24 AM.

Found three different species in my yard this morning!

1. Agaricus xanthodermus (aka yellow stainers). These mushrooms look like the highly desirable and very tasty A. arvensis (aka "pinks"), but when you rub on the caps they bruise bright yellow, which is a dead giveaway that they will cause major GI issues. Do not eat!

2. Coprinus comatus (the shaggy mane). Cool looking mushroom. I never eat them but many do.

3. Unknown - but hoping for Macrolepiota procera? I've got a ton of them, please help me ID!!

Anyone getting out in the PNW? Seems way too dry around Seattle lately.