Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: shroom picking

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Jacks are so easy to find... haven't had much luck since the great lobstah bump in july.
    I've found a million rusula brevipes, there are hillsides full of them in the lodgepole. Still waiting for that first lobster. Does anyone know if the hypomyces parasite is even present in the greater Yellowstone?

My Sept long weekend lobster patches didn't show for the second year in a row. I've got a couple other spots that bump in early to mid Oct that I hope will show. But those later ones need to be harvested quick or the maggots and frost turn them soft. Surprisingly, we haven't had our first frost below 700m yet. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    putting mushrooms in your mouth is not inherently dangerous, and it can be a good indicator -
    I wouldn't.

β-amanitin may cause irritation of the respiratory tract, headache, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, coughing, insomnia, diarrhea, gastrointestinal disturbances, back pain, urinary frequency, liver and kidney damage, or death if ingested or inhaled. If β-amanitin comes in contact with skin, it may cause irritation, burns, redness, severe pain, and could be absorbed through the skin, causing similar effects to exposure via inhalation and ingestion. Contact with the eyes may result in irritation, corneal burns, and eye damage. Persons with pre-existing skin, eye, or central nervous systems disorders, impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.[3]

When I looked at the wiki page for beta amanitin, the references msds link is a dead link. An active link seems to provide more details: https://datasheets.scbt.com/sc-202860.pdf

The mycologist that I see in my area all seem to think that chew and spit is fine.

i am not a fan of "parasol" Macrolepiota procera
    maybe fried in a pan the only way but.... or dried/grinded and mixed in butter as a spread

and this is the most dangerous mushroom and a kind of a look alike. Amanita phalloides

i remember when i was a kid we had a mushroom dinner in a our family holiday house in the forest.
    buhh my grandmother my aunty and 5 grandchildren all had to puke that night.

i still remember the usual talk in the kitchen during mushroom season : )
    is this one???? i am not sure ??? lets wait for "hans" he knows more : )
    every hunt same story... usually it was fine only one time the stew was really bad!

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    i still remember the usual talk in the kitchen during mushroom season : )
    is this one???? i am not sure ??? lets wait for "hans" he knows more : )
    Haha! I love it. "Waiting for hans" has a nice ring to it. Could be a play?

Good haul today on my bike ride with the doggie.
    Drying the lobsters, fried the bolete (for later use on burgers), Chantrelles going into spaghetti sauce and I'm going to do a weird pickle thing tomorrow with the cauliflower http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/...-take-out.html Just finished putting up 18qts of lacto-fermented dills so I'm in a pickling kind of mindset these days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shroom haul II.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	386537
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 09-24-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: editted to put the right recipe in
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

Good haul today on my bike ride with the doggie.
    Drying the lobsters, fried the bolete (for later use on burgers), Chantrelles going into spaghetti sauce and I'm going to do a weird pickle thing tomorrow with the cauliflower https://foragerchef.com/pickled-hen-...hroomsmaitake/. Just finished putting up 18qts of lacto-fermented dills so I'm in a pickling kind of mindset these days.

Damn Gary, beautiful haul.

Love me some lacto pickles too. Well done.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Damn Gary, beautiful haul.

Love me some lacto pickles too. Well done.

Hey thanks man! Get your ass up here, there's a jar with your name on em!
    It's the first time (in 2 attempts) the cukes worked for me. Last year I tried it in a big crock... fail for me. I've done kimchee (3 successes, 1 failure), sauerkraut (4 successes), and have a 4 qt jar of carrot/kohlrabi (from the garden) in the fridge downstairs that worked great so anyway, I'm stoked that the 20 pounds of cukes worked out!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

have a 4 qt jar of carrot/kohlrabi (from the garden)
    tell me more. I'm always trying to figure out what to do with kohlrabi.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    tell me more. I'm always trying to figure out what to do with kohlrabi.
    Look no further man. This recipe kicked ass.
    https://happyacres.blog/2015/07/09/f...rabi-two-ways/
    I added lots of fresh dill and garlic from the garden and also threw in a large dried Guajillo chili.
    I wish we would have planted more kohlrabi now.
    The lacto-pickled cukes in the fridge didn't get canned (I understand they're good for 6 months in the fridge, I canned about half after fermentation). The kohlrabi pickles won't last another 3 weeks.

Name:	kohlrabi carrot pickle.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	966.7 KB 
ID:	386547
    Happy to answer any questions you have mate, though I'm a bit of a hack (as my stats attest).

www.mymountaincoop.ca

nice, I'll check it out.

Does anyone know what these are? I've been seeing a ton around and am not a mushroom person.

my grandmother had 6 children and each of them a couple children
    the family holiday house was the place to be from june to september

we were like 20 grandchildren and X amount of relatives.
    it was kind of a play

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Does anyone know what these are? I've been seeing a ton around and am not a mushroom person.
    My guess is pink coral which would put em in the do not eat category. BCmtnhound is the dude though.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Watching Fantastic Fungi on Netflix
    Loads of shrooms are new sine i moved here.
    High desert not so much
    Although Henrys and Uintas slright.
    Nothing like here

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Watching Fantastic Fungi on Netflix
    Loads of shrooms are new sine i moved here.
    High desert not so much
    Although Henrys and Uintas slright.
    Nothing like here
    Check this out

My guess is pink coral which would put em in the do not eat category. BCmtnhound is the dude though.
    Ramaria formosa is my guess too. Some sort of Ramaria sp., but we don't have many of those in Utah so I would defer to BCMtnHound as well.

Thanks Gary. Anyone have any recos for a mushroom guide that is a bit less dense than Mushrooms Demistified?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Check this out
    His metabolic time theory just blew my mind.

Thanks Gary. Anyone have any recos for a mushroom guide that is a bit less dense than Mushrooms Demistified?
    My first book was Mushrooming Without Fear... someone borrowed it from me a long time ago and never returned it, but armed with the knowledge from that and the Audobon Society Guide... I felt a little better about poking around in the woods. I guess there's no substitute for having someone who knows more than you around though.

I bet that paperback is in every library system.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    My first book was Mushrooming Without Fear... someone borrowed it from me a long time ago and never returned it, but armed with the knowledge from that and the Audobon Society Guide... I felt a little better about poking around in the woods. I guess there's no substitute for having someone who knows more than you around though.

I bet that paperback is in every library system.
    Thanks. I'm not looking to make mushrooming a huge new hobby but while deer hunting this weekend I was pretty surprised by the amount and variety of shrooms I saw and wished I knew a bit more about them.

Thanks. I'm not looking to make mushrooming a huge new hobby but while deer hunting this weekend I was pretty surprised by the amount and variety of shrooms I saw and wished I knew a bit more about them.
    This has been our approach. Shrooming isn't a huge hobby of ours but it is a great way of learning more about the natural world as we hike, backpack, etc. The edible species are just a nice bonus.

This has been our approach. Shrooming isn't a huge hobby of ours but it is a great way of learning more about the natural world as we hike, backpack, etc. The edible species are just a nice bonus.

Yeah, after about the 4th time I said to myself "woah, that's a cool one, I wonder what it is?" I figured I should do something about it.

I'm with you guys. They're just cool and it opened up a new appreciation for being in the woods. Although to be fair you never know when you're gonna find some oysters on the side of the road either.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Similarly, my interest in mushrooms was piqued when I realized that deer hunting season in Western Washington often corresponds well with chantrelles. I haven't taken it farther than hunting chantrelles and cauliflower mushrooms because it's nearly impossible to screw those ones up.

I can confirm that the book Mushrooming Without Fear mentioned above is a good low level introduction. I got it at the library, but should probably buy it to have on hand.