Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: shroom picking

I always keep an eye out for cow poop mushrooms, which now that I say it is sort of a weird habit.

Saw these decaying ones today. Any chance of some sort of conocybe? I might look harder next year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	065 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	336.1 KB 
ID:	430998

Damn, this season just keeps giving. Some more fruits from the yard last night (the pines) and today. Was quite pleased to find pines on the property. I figured there should be... It just took a little night walk with headlamp and dog to find em. Biggest Chanterelle season for me so far. Season is definately near over with some snow last evening

Name:	PXL_20221101_192908908.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	432007
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Hey anyone know what this guy is?

Name:	PXL_20221031_003738046.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	432008

Name:	PXL_20221031_003730102.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	963.3 KB 
ID:	432009

Name:	PXL_20221031_003722081.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1,009.9 KB 
ID:	432010
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

that look like a chantrelle

Can’t say with 100% certainty but it looks like a hedgehog to me. Only ever found one but it was tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Def not a Chanterelle (see the other guys plus the gills are a give-away on the 'trelles).

Hedgehog though!? Cool, the thought ran through my mind but I've never found one before. They're a choice shroom if I remember correctly. That's cool, there's a few more in the yard. I'll look em up, those gills on the "hedgehog" are very distinctive. Thanks Ed!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Choice for sure. As I said I only had one and have been looking for more ever since. I’m super jealous of your yard.

Thanks Ed, we're super damn lucky fo sho and we don't forget that fact daily. Yes indeedy do btw, it is a hedgehog. Thanks again man!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

The results. Quite acceptable. Pine mushroom tempura (better than french fries) and a swack of sauteed Chanterelles. And my eternal thanks to the mag who posted in this thread the proper way to saute mushrooms. My life has been very good since then. My apologies for lack of short and long term memory, I forget who changed my life...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221102_035319181.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	432103

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Nice work GFT!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    And my eternal thanks to the mag who posted in this thread the proper way to saute mushrooms. My life has been very good since then. My apologies for lack of short and long term memory, I forget who changed my life...
    That would be neckdeep in posts 132 & 135.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Thanks frush! Yep that's who showed me the light. Praise be to neckdeep!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Its definitely a hedgehog. North American species recently ballooned from two type species (with or without a "bellybutton") to over two dozen species. Who knows, with that kind of diversity, maybe the ones in your yard are another new species. The west coast species hydnum neorepandum is the the one commonly available for sale and that's what yours appears to be. Its generally advised to pick or buy your hedgehogs before they get fully mature as their nuttiness fades towards bitterness.

The results. Quite acceptable. Pine mushroom tempura (better than french fries) and a swack of sauteed Chanterelles. And my eternal thanks to the mag who posted in this thread the proper way to saute mushrooms. My life has been very good since then. My apologies for lack of short and long term memory, I forget who changed my life...Click image for larger version. 

Drying out for a day in the house does wonders if you can wait. Around here, they go on our gear drying rack near the stove to dry out. Keeps the soggy pan of shrooms from happening.

Anybody try innoculating mulch piles with cyanescens any success? time of year? done cubie cakes before but don't know the best outdoor methods

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    Drying out for a day in the house does wonders if you can wait. Around here, they go on our gear drying rack near the stove to dry out. Keeps the soggy pan of shrooms from happening.

Anybody try innoculating mulch piles with cyanescens any success? time of year? done cubie cakes before but don't know the best outdoor methods
    I’m trying right now with some cyanescens. I transplanted some bark with sturdy mycelium. We’ll see how it goes

Gary, let me share another culinary tip. Your mushroom tempura (and other fried delicacies) will be crunchier if you drain and hold them on a wire rack. Paper towels trap escaping steam.

Damn neckdeep. Great advice, and I even happen to have a wire rack. Thanks buddy!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    Yes. Best depends.

Least effort, least probability of fruiting within 1 -2 years, is planting stem butts from fruits you harvest within 24 hours or so into new uncolonized wood chips. Similarly, you can replant mycelium from existing patches into new new uncolonized wood chips. This technique is used to spread patches.

More effort with greatly increased probability of fruiting within 1 year is to get mycelium on agar>grains (requires sterile work), then to wood chips indoors, then to wood chips outdoors.

Timeline might look like agar work Nov-Dec, grain work Jan-Feb, grains>wood chips indoors in March-April, wood chips outside in May, fruiting in Oct-Nov. if nothing goes wrong. This is all based on west side of Cascades in PNW, and what I've learned from a friend

Name:	F945A48F-DBCF-4463-947F-EF2334091411.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	824.3 KB 
ID:	455998
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Yes. Best depends.

Least effort, least probability of fruiting within 1 -2 years, is planting stem butts from fruits you harvest within 24 hours or so into new uncolonized wood chips. Similarly, you can replant mycelium from existing patches into new new uncolonized wood chips. This technique is used to spread patches.

More effort with greatly increased probability of fruiting within 1 year is to get mycelium on agar>grains (requires sterile work), then to wood chips indoors, then to wood chips outdoors.

Timeline might look like agar work Nov-Dec, grain work Jan-Feb, grains>wood chips indoors in March-April, wood chips outside in May, fruiting in Oct-Nov. if nothing goes wrong. This is all based on west side of Cascades in PNW, and what I've learned from a friend
    Solid 48th post

I love you peeps. Fkna

Curious on general opinion of what will happen to this year's Morel harvest in the perpetual winter of the intermountain west this season.

Delayed, most likely, but shortened?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Around here it is so dry that the few emerging are brittle and small.

They will not fruit until the conditions are correct.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Curious on general opinion of what will happen to this year's Morel harvest in the perpetual winter of the intermountain west this season.

Delayed, most likely, but shortened?
    The key factor is how fast the soil warms, not how early or late it warms up. When soil temps stall out in the 40s, you end up in a race with the vegetation. Vegetation keeps on growing and, as a practical matter, it gets difficult to see morels when they emerge. Not a concern when picking in burns, tho.

So, deep snowpack can be a good thing because night time air temperature tends to be warm by the time it melts off. It's good to have the soil heat up fast before it gets a chance to dry out. The worst scenario is an early meltout followed by cold nights and dry windy days.

Mushrooms require three events to flourish:

They need to have enough sugars stored in sclerotia to enter a reproductive phase versus just maintaining energy storage. Thus, a mycelium that had a big fruiting one year may not do much the next season even if conditions are ideal. Similarly, a mycelium that hasn't fruited for years can go absolutely bonkers when good conditions finally come.

They require adequate moisture preseason to get the mycelium primed. If the mycelium is receiving drought signals, it will stay in storage mode. This often referred to as the "two rains" theory, ie you want a good shot of moisture to prime the pump about two weeks before the fruiting rains. For alpine morels, deep deposits of snow from cornices and leeward pockets can provide this necessary moisture and that can be valuable if its a dry season.

They require adequate moisture to ensure a good surface growing environment when the soil temperature is in the proper range. If the surface becomes too dry when the temperature window opens, the mycelium will only send up a limited, stunted fruiting in the moistest spots.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-19-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    The key factor is how fast the soil warms, not how early or late it warms up. When soil temps stall out in the 40s, you end up in a race with the vegetation. Vegetation keeps on growing and, as a practical matter, it gets difficult to see morels when they emerge. Not a concern when picking in burns, tho.

So, deep snowpack can be a good thing because night time air temperature tends to be warm by the time it melts off. It's good to have the soil heat up fast before it gets a chance to dry out. The worst scenario is an early meltout followed by cold nights and dry windy days.

Mushrooms require three events to flourish:

They need to have enough sugars stored in sclerotia to enter a reproductive phase versus just maintaining energy storage. Thus, a mycelium that had a big fruiting one year may not do much the next season even if conditions are ideal. Similarly, a mycelium that hasn't fruited for years can go absolutely bonkers when good conditions finally come.

They require adequate moisture preseason to get the mycelium primed. If the mycelium is receiving drought signals, it will stay in storage mode. This often referred to as the "two rains" theory, ie you want a good shot of moisture to prime the pump about two weeks before the fruiting rains. For alpine morels, deep deposits of snow from cornices and leeward pockets can provide this necessary moisture and that can be valuable if its a dry season.

They require adequate moisture to ensure a good surface growing environment when the soil temperature is in the proper range. If the surface becomes too dry when the temperature window opens, the mycelium will only send up a limited, stunted fruiting in the moistest spots.
    Puff balls are showing, I guess I gotta get out to some of last year's hot morel spots to see if there is a second year flush or not.

Still nothing doing here, but I've got a warm feeling about next week.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."