Question Ski recommendation

Hi everyone,

With current covid restrictions and the uncertainty around this ski season, I'm looking into picking up a new pair of skis to mount with a pair of Shifts to get into some light skinning with. I'm kind of in a strange situation where I really don't know where my style falls into the spectrum of skis available. Right now, I've got a quiver of FIS race skis for racing and ripping around on harder snow days, as well as a pair of ON3P Woodsman 96s mounted with pivots as my daily driver outside of racing. I really enjoy the Woodsmans, but nothing jumped out at me to say they're the best ski ever. I had very limited time to ski them given the short season, but up to local ski areas closing I found them fairly stable enough for carving on hardpack, and was fairly impressed with their flotation (although I don't have much to compare to as per wider skis). I am located in Northern Michigan and travel out west a few times a year, and am looking into getting into some touring both around the local hills and on further trips to the mountains (while also maximizing my quiver for versatility, so maybe something with a mid 100mm waist width? Most likely, it will probably end up being around an 80/20 split between resort and touring days, respectively. I am a very aggressive skier, and given my race background love a demanding ski, however due to my location geographically I question if something super directional would be of benefit.

For now, I've been looking into a few models, including: the DPS Alchemist Wailer 106 C2, Kastle FX106 HP, Head Kore 105, and Black Crows Corvus. I have skied the Kore 99s out west before and enjoyed those (but again, not much to compare them to). Looking forward to hear some thoughts and recommendations.

Do you want them to ski very different than your Woodsman? all of the skis you have asked about will have mount points 3-5 cm's farther back on the ski. This will be more familiar to the race skis. Of that bunch I think the Kastle is the best ski but you pay for it. You could order a 50/50 core custom Woodsman 108 if you want something more like that. Then you would have a little bigger gap in the skis.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I think the Head Kore 105s would serve you well. I use those with the Shifts as my daily driver in Colorado and they deliver in all conditions. They are light, require you to ski well, and are fun at all speeds.

Blaze 106 with a shift would be my immediate reaction.

Lots of legit skis out there though in this class.

Praxis backcountry ftw! Super fun to ski and solid on a variety of conditions.

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Ski recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.