Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Never had any issues with G3 glue, the pair that is getting replaced is 5 years strong. I'll probably go local with BSMP and try something new. Do these guys only sell online? I've never even seen them in a store in Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by skivtmt View Post
    I'll probably go local with BSMP and try something new.
    Are they "new?" Or is it the same 20 year old product that was sold by Climbing Skins Direct?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Don’t you get paid by BSMP for something?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, was trying to figure out how to note that without being douchy. They've commissioned me for some illustrations.

That said, my review on Blister of the BSMP skins was written before I ever worked with them, and in the couple of seasons since then the impressions I stated there have held true.

I also skied (and gave up on) Pomocas before I ever worked professionally with BSMP. So take my experience with whatever grains of salt you want. I'm picky with touring gear, especially skins, and I wouldn't shill for BSMP if they weren't better than anything I've used in the past.

It's cool that folks have had a better experience with Pomocas than I did. We're all throwing out the data points of our own experiences. Mine was very bad.

As far as fanboyism goes, whatever, I am still bummed my Pomoca experience sucked because so many fanboys held them up as the pinnacle of skin excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I gots pomoca, G3, BD and ime they all needed regluing at some point SO I always have a couple tubes of goldlablel in the gear stash (15$ a tube) I use a tube for a pair of skins it seems to last no problem in an unopenned tube,

glue in a tube is about 1/4 the price of sheet glue and either way you need to heat the glue in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrwW0lH2z8

this ^^ is a really good vid IMO, sheet glue vs tube glue, buddy put gold label on a G3 skin and the world didnt end

altho we now have Covid
    Damn he used a whole tube for one skin?

I get two pairs of skins out of a tube, and I have never ironed gold label in with parchment just let it air out for 18-ish hours and you're good to go. Never had failure problems and the skins stay way easy to rip.

Of course there is no singular correct way to do a reglue. Just as there are multiple ways to do it wrong

My experience with G3/Backcountry alpinist skins is they are fine for fresh snow but suck on firm snow or icy skin tracks. They have grippier/heavier options though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Damn he used a whole tube for one skin?

I get two pairs of skins out of a tube, and I have never ironed gold label in with parchment just let it air out for 18-ish hours and you're good to go. Never had failure problems and the skins stay way easy to rip.

Of course there is no singular correct way to do a reglue. Just as there are multiple ways to do it wrong
    I havent seen that vid in awhile but I remembr the nuts n bolts of it being pretty good but i agree one tube per skin seems excesssive but whatever works is fine if it works

the main thing is to realize you either gotta learn how to glue yer own or buy mo skins

and its not that hard
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah regluing is not hard and not even terribly messy.
    I can get a pair done in under an hour using the gold label.
    And yeah the video is actually quite good for showing the basics.

Back in September I went from this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_115436.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	348286

To this in about 45 minutes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200909_121343.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	348287

Its not that messy if you figure out how you are gona handle it before hand, Skin glue is still pretty nasty when it off gasses since I don't have a shop I tack them to a 16" wide plywood off-cut, heat gun/scrape the old glue, spread new glue, cover with parchment, iron at 320F and put the board outside to off-gas, the cold helps the parchment seperate nicely and the glue will look new until you put em together once

Been dreading having to do this on my 7 y/o G3’s, really should have done it last year but whatever. Video makes it seem extremely simple

Chiming in here to say G3 Escapist skins are shit.

Brand new skins barely stick to skis at the trailhead, and don't stick at all after a run. Even better, one of the tail attachment pulls snapped.

Fuck G3.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Chiming in here to say G3 Escapist skins are shit.

Even better, one of the tail attachment pulls snapped.

Fuck G3.
    yeah I was fondling a pair beginning of this season and I thot fuck these straps look darling but they don't look like they will take much of a shit kicking at all, climbing skins get used by putting them on skis and walking on them/ walking over rocks/ walking over trees/ yer buddy walk over your skis/ skiing with them on the ski, gear can always be lighter/more minimalist but then is it gona holdup?

any time a person has a problem with skins in my group it is always a g3 (except for a brief period of time when i fucked around with contours).

sure they can be fixed with new glue but their failures are so spectacular with residue and ruined days that i simply prefer the slow burn of a bd getting less tacky for a decade, giving you lots of summers to consider whether this is finally the year to reglue... since it just doesn’t matter that much.

some year g3 will rework the recipe (again) and make it less awful but until i see them work for a few years no way i would buy another pair.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    any time a person has a problem with skins in my group it is always a g3 (except for a brief period of time when i fucked around with contours).
    I really dig the Contour Hybrid skins. Had never had the glue fail. Did they use other glue in older versions?

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    I really dig the Contour Hybrid skins. Had never had the glue fail. Did they use other glue in older versions?
    +1 on contour hybrids. i refreshed the glue on mine this year after ~50 days on them by rubbing them with goo gone, and they are noticeably more tacky. i still have chunks of glue missing from them but they are great.

g3 skins SUCK. so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    There is a discussion in another thread but at some point in the past 2 years they switched over to an improved compound. It was a gradual shift that took longer for some of their whitelabeled versions (Atomic still gets complaints). I can't speak to durability and I've already lost a pea-sized chunk after only 6 days but I am in love with my Contour Hybrid full mohair skins I got last fall.