Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    the boy turns 16 today

i got him a bunch of shirts: us ski team & on3p [to go with his skis]...and a porsche
    (the kind you pull back and let go :P )

he's not that enthusiastic outgoing little munchkin anymore -- full-on sullen/shy/obnoxious/tho-secretly-pretty-happy teen

in other news, it looks pretty spitty on the hill?...hopefully we're not missing too much...he has some test stuff to deal with prior to winter break today

any chance the pineapple shifts & comes in colder for the weekend?
    Sunday = gear test day, sad to say...

But if it works on Sunday, it'll keep you dry on any other day we'll have this year.

so,
    invoke ullr, take the pvc bibs & jacket & ski?
    or
    stay home & run the outerwear thru techwash + heavy dwr re-application?

so,
    invoke ullr, take the pvc bibs & jacket & ski?
    That is always the answer

Did a Cone lap in the morning. I guess about 6" or so of cream cheese, and I detected a hint of crispiness underneath.

Pine finally started spinning about 9:30am or so. Bit of a cluster. The two singles lines were each about 50 yards long. Took about 15 minutes to load. Chair running at half speed. Red finally started spinning after 10am. The rime was the suckage bigly. Need to develop a goggle with a built in defroster.

I only did 4 laps and they shut down Pine at about 11:35 or shortly thereafter. Everyone headed to Red, and I headed to the vehicle. Work was calling, so for a first day of lift served in the COIVD era, it felt like any other day at Bachy except for the mask thing.

In conclusion - Snow was good. Viz sucked balls. Lifties were great. Lift lines sucked balls. I may try and post a pic, but the rime was not conducive to picture taking.

Will see about trying again on Saturday. Supposed to at least not rain or snow and the sun might make an appearance.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

the boy turns 16 today

i got him a bunch of shirts: us ski team & on3p [to go with his skis]...and a porsche
    (the kind you pull back and let go :P )

he's not that enthusiastic outgoing little munchkin anymore -- full-on sullen/shy/obnoxious/tho-secretly-pretty-happy teen
    Woah - I remember you all skiing at Bachy for his birthday what 8 years ago(?)
    Jonesy and I put our phones with GPS in his pocket to clock his speed.

Time flies.

When’s he getting his DL?

Tell him Happy Birthday for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Did a Cone lap in the morning. I guess about 6" or so of cream cheese, and I detected a hint of crispiness underneath.

Pine finally started spinning about 9:30am or so. Bit of a cluster. The two singles lines were each about 50 yards long. Took about 15 minutes to load. Chair running at half speed. Red finally started spinning after 10am. The rime was the suckage bigly. Need to develop a goggle with a built in defroster.

I only did 4 laps and they shut down Pine at about 11:35 or shortly thereafter. Everyone headed to Red, and I headed to the vehicle. Work was calling, so for a first day of lift served in the COIVD era, it felt like any other day at Bachy except for the mask thing.

In conclusion - Snow was good. Viz sucked balls. Lifties were great. Lift lines sucked balls. I may try and post a pic, but the rime was not conducive to picture taking.

Will see about trying again on Saturday. Supposed to at least not rain or snow and the sun might make an appearance.
    Bachelor......
    Name:  20201213_192554.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  96.0 KB
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Bachy today was fun if visibility was not a concern.

On the positive side, only Red, SRX and CCX opened at 0900. So crowds on the east side were minimal.

Top half of CCX was fogged in. Had to stop every couple of minutes to de-ice goggles. Sunny below the getback though and the snow was quite nice.

After 90 minutes there was a nice layer of ice on my front side and the charm was wearing off.

In chairlift antics, I was lined up with a guy to share first ride up SRX. We entered the loading platform opposite sides.

Then two people slid into the center slots. One was wearing a bright red fart bag with an American flag on the back. The other had a Danger-High-Voltage-Yellow North Face Jacket - with, of course, an American flag on back.

WTF

I took two giant steps out and let them go. The guy on other end did same.

Lift op said “I’m sorry I thought you were a group”
    I said “Do you really think I would hang out with people dressed like THAT!!??”
    She laughed

Both of the interlopers crashed on the off ramp.

Good times as the Holiday Shitshow approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Woah - I remember you all skiing at Bachy for his birthday what 8 years ago(?)
    Jonesy and I put our phones with GPS in his pocket to clock his speed.

Time flies.

When’s he getting his DL?

Tell him Happy Birthday for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131217_134258.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	353409
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Name:	rev.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	587.8 KB 
ID:	353411

or something like that ^^^ ...

Trees held some nice wind sheltered snow.

Decent snow, but could do without the rest.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Bachy today was fun if visibility was not a concern.

On the positive side, only Red, SRX and CCX opened at 0900. So crowds on the east side were minimal.

Top half of CCX was fogged in. Had to stop every couple of minutes to de-ice goggles. Sunny below the getback though and the snow was quite nice.

After 90 minutes there was a nice layer of ice on my front side and the charm was wearing off.

In chairlift antics, I was lined up with a guy to share first ride up SRX. We entered the loading platform opposite sides.

Then two people slid into the center slots. One was wearing a bright red fart bag with an American flag on the back. The other had a Danger-High-Voltage-Yellow North Face Jacket - with, of course, an American flag on back.

WTF

I took two giant steps out and let them go. The guy on other end did same.

Lift op said “I’m sorry I thought you were a group”
    I said “Do you really think I would hang out with people dressed like THAT!!??”
    She laughed

Good times as the Holiday Shitshow approaches.
    I was wondering if I should have gone to Sunrise after doing a lap on the Cone, and then a Green Coated Bachy employee telling me that Pine was on wind hold. Looks like quite a few people took the shuttle over that way.

My jacket and pants were coated in a nice thin veneer of rime when I got to the truck. Goggles were worthless last run. Basically skied the last few hundred yards to the bottom semi-blind.

No issues with people not masking. Liftie at Red Chair thanked everyone for being good with the mask compliance, and told us he was over qualified for flipping burgers and liked working for who ever it is that owns Bachelor (Powder Corp?)

MHM was tons better than I thought it would be today. I envisioned a repeat of Tuesday with more wind.

My jacket and pants were coated in a nice thin veneer of rime when I got to the truck. Goggles were worthless last run. Basically skied the last few hundred yards to the bottom semi-blind.

No issues with people not masking. Liftie at Red Chair thanked everyone for being good with the mask compliance, and told us he was over qualified for flipping burgers and liked working for who ever it is that owns Bachelor (Powder Corp?)
    There’s tomorrow before it warms up. Should still be some stashes that people didn’t see because their goggles were rimed over.

It seemed to me like lift crews today were stepping up the friendly reminders about masks, particularly the dick noses. They seemed less willing to say anything on Monday.

Now, if people can just figure out what six feet looks like...

Use the ski pole block to insure 6 feet when the cretins get too close.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Use the ski pole block to insure 6 feet when the cretins get too close.
    Make sure you do it flailingly so they really get the picture.

^^^ I just pull my mask down and sneeze when they get too close. 100% effective at dispersing crowds

This was funny...

Webcams at Bachy are telling a good story today...looking forward to some reports.

Sun came out at the Doo. Awesome untouched spots a few leftovers and sun is working on softening the crusts on solar wind hammered aspects down low.

No step on snek

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post

This was funny...

Webcams at Bachy are telling a good story today...looking forward to some reports.
    Scratching my head. Place looks deserted? What gives?

seems like they have removed most cams that actually show any liftlines or the base area(which was always a good reference point for snowfall at the base, and actual flakes in the air as opposed to rain)... I'm figuring there are folks all lined up somewhere...I was mostly referrin' to the sunny weather and what looks like pretty decent snow quality...hoping to read about it from one of you first hand local types soon.

not local, have never been to the Doo, maybe someday, but, can you reasonably approach the three finger peak (looked it up on Google)off in the distance? looks rad

Were you heckling a instructor Schralph. Asking for a friend.

Name:	20201218_122615.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	353620
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201218_113546.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	353623  

Linked up with thefortress yesterday and enjoyed many windy and low-viz hot-laps on MHX before the lifts were locked down.

Now, enjoy just some mediocre beer stoke while we wait out the pineapple firehose...

Name:	bPt7rFD.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	353632

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    ^^^ I just pull my mask down and sneeze when they get too close. 100% effective at dispersing crowds
    Probably wouldn’t even need to drop the mask. Just wait till someone is on your shoulder then look at them and let go.
    Snot rockets would be effective as well, but probably over the top...
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Scratching my head. Place looks deserted? What gives?
    It was pleasantly quiet across the mountain today. No more than a couple of minute wait anywhere. Sun cracked the high overcast about 1100. Weren’t many Crack-o-Nooners coming up either. Snow was kinda dense & wind beat in the rough, but soft and rippable on the groom. perfect for another training day...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    not local, have never been to the Doo, maybe someday, but, can you reasonably approach the three finger peak (looked it up on Google)off in the distance? looks rad
    Approach trailhead is across the highway from access road to the Doo. It’s about 8 or 9 miles of skin/hike for ~1000’ of descent.