Page 64 of 94 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2347
    Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    Seriously, don’t try to teach your gf how to ski.
    I’m speaking from experience.
    True but give the guy a break. Notice he said “a gf”, not “the gf”. For all we know, he’s doing the hard work of dating multiple at the same time. Fuckin exhausting

Quote Originally Posted by boar2m View Post
    Seriously, don’t try to teach your gf how to ski.
    I’m speaking from experience.
    Don't worry, I bought her lessons. This time I am just going skiing with her, not trying to teach!

Also to what extent are lodges/restaurants open up there?

Yeah, right ...I missed the "a" part.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Also to what extent are lodges/restaurants open up there?
    So you love birds are heading up there on Sat, right?

Mattig's RV, duh!

Heading up to Meadows to spend a day with a gf. This is her first year skiing so looking to have a pretty low key day. She's comfortable on greens and just barely edging into blues. I see they do a "beginner progression pass" which includes Ballroom Carpet, Buttercup, Easy Rider, Daisy and Vista Express for $89. Is this worth it or should we just buck up for the full pass? What time do we need to get there to ensure a parking spot on Saturday? Is there a shuttle? Thanks collective!
    You've gotten some other tips - but since I'm in your very boat (well, with a wife, not gf) I thought I'd give my opinions.

1) I think the general advice not to teach family members to ski is really not far off the mark.
    2) HOWEVER... While it could be disaster, it might work out well, if you can really dial back your attitude. (And provided you're reasonably skilled at giving some ski instruction. I know a number of instructors and I'm pretty good at teaching too, so that's helped.) However, a few lessons initially might be a good investment.

But there are some catches - especially this year.

Last year, they had a great "package" deal - 3x progression pass, 3x group lesson (and 3x rental, if you needed it.) It was, IMO, great value.

This was great until you start to progress to solid blue runs. (And yes, Vista can be a cluster, line wise, at times. And Easy-rider will make you want to hang yourself - with ample time to do so, on the SLOW ride up.)

Alas, there's no package like that this year. Lessons are simply ala-carte. (And expensive, IMO.)

BTW: I have some great recommendations for instructors, if you want - my wife was quite unimpressed with some of the guys who she nearly got yarded into a lesson with. (You know the kind. Macho Mano, ex-drill Sargent who is going to whip you into shape, or kick your ass, you choose... Frankly, it wasn't just her take on the guy, I got the asshole vibe right off the bat, and just hoped I was wrong...)
    The names I know right off the top of my head are John Bailey, and Manon (PM me, for more.) John is top notch, really nice guy. Soft spoken and caring. But I'm not sure how available he is...especially for group lessons.

I decided we'd simply buy a value pass for my wife this year. We'll get probably 15 days out of it, for the year. And we got 6 days and lessons last year. (2x the 3x progression pass+group lessons)

IMO, a lesson every other 3-5 ski days is probably about right - at least if you're talking about the most progress per dollar/lesson.

But we're skipping lessons this year because I'm cheap and even group lessons are pretty expensive - at least compared to what you get, IMO. My wife's been pretty good about it. (But it kind of sucks when your "together" ski day is a pow day - there have been at least two so far!)

I just ski with her, and try to give somewhat sparse tips. I strongly note when she's doing stuff right, rather than say a lot about what she does wrong. (I figure if you get the feel of what's happening when it's "good" then it's easier to *do* that, than to avoid doing the thousands of things you can do wrong.)

So, the bottom line is; I don't have any great hints for this year - at least to save money. IMO, MHM is milking for every dollar they can. And it seems unimaginable to me that this isn't one of the most profitable years for them, ever. [Yeah the restaurants are doing poorly, I suspect - but ticket sales have to be doing just fine (a damn sight better than fine, IMO), if the parking lot is any indication. And they *sure* aren't hiring enough lifties to have enough to really run the mountain right. Yeah, I know, lots are in quarantine - but that still means they haven't hired enough to run right. But I digress...]

I'd probably start with a progression pass and a lesson or three. If she still thinks she'd like to give it a go after that, then buy a regular season pass next year and really go for it. Hopefully those 3x group lessons will be back.

I think that simply getting to the place where the person learning can just put in the hours to "just ski" is one of the best "lessons" there are. And being there to help them have an enjoyable day while getting those hours is the fastest way for them to become proficient.

I might invest in a steeps class or something similar once she progresses to blacks - but until then, we've managed to maintain some decent chemistry and avoid bad blood. I think that's a rare occurrence - but it can happen if you both work to make it so and have a little luck.

And, IMO, the nicest days for learning are these days from now till they close when it's sunny and nice. Learning in pow isn't fun. Slush is pretty forgiving, and it's way nicer when it's warmer and sunny. I love me some storm skiing, but I don't take my wife on those days - and she's not interested in going either...

HTH
    -Greg

Yeah love hanging in mattigs rv but don’t think it’s COVID compliant spacing in there...

Plenty of bars/beer stands open to grab beer and sit outside, dunno about food... if weather is nice go to the mazot mid mountain.

If money is no object then a private lesson is probably worth it. Late season group lessons - especially afternnon ones can turn into, essentially private lessons. (At least in past years. This year, who knows. Everything is out of whack.)

Again, glad to provide names of instructors who we've worked with and liked. While everyone has their own style, and some students aren't going to mesh with an instructor, no matter how good - I can just say that the variability of their staff is pretty wide, and I don't think some of those people should be working at Arby's, much less teaching people to ski.

Appreciate the advice on teaching a significant other/friend/relative/etc. The first time we went I got her lessons and the 2nd and 3rd times we went together and just had fun. I let her pick the terrain and let her push herself on her own which she does pretty well at. And only give advice when asked. So far she's only gotten mad at 20 minutes a ski day and came away super stoked on skiing so I'm calling it a big win. She asked if I wanted to go skiing this weekend with no prompt. I'll probably get her 1 more lesson before the year is over but all in all she's progressing fast and having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Yeah love hanging in mattigs rv but don’t think it’s COVID compliant spacing in there...

Plenty of bars/beer stands open to grab beer and sit outside, dunno about food... if weather is nice go to the mazot mid mountain.
    So sad. Vaccine verification program is in the works though.

Heading up to Meadows to spend a day with a gf. This is her first year skiing so looking to have a pretty low key day. She's comfortable on greens and just barely edging into blues. I see they do a "beginner progression pass" which includes Ballroom Carpet, Buttercup, Easy Rider, Daisy and Vista Express for $89. Is this worth it or should we just buck up for the full pass? What time do we need to get there to ensure a parking spot on Saturday? Is there a shuttle? Thanks collective!
    My wife accused my of attempting to kill her when I taught her how to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the dude taking the GF, avoid Meadows. Head for Summit. Cheaper less crowded and a perfect long run for beginners. Plus you have all the Govy options for lunch and beers and the like.
    "Let's be careful out there."

The New and improved Oregon 2020/2021 Ski Season Thread

Concur with the consensus. Meadows is not the place to learn, price or terrain wise. Once she's bord of everywhere else (summit, tflat and skibowl, meadows is a good time. Otherwise it's scary steep, lots of flats, long lift lines and inconvenient parking unless you get there by like 7:30. Which, again, not a beginner move by any means.

Fully support teaching if (big if) you can understand you're teaching a beginner.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A. Don't teach your girlfriend
    B. Don't do it.
    C. Refer to A and B.
    D. If you skip A through C, start looking for another girlfriend.
    Last edited by CnRzG; 03-02-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Not 1 mention of the new Pucci chair shitting the bed Sat night requiring a rope evac??!!

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Not 1 mention of the new Pucci chair shitting the bed Sat night requiring a rope evac??!!
    Yah.... I was thinking of the laps I was doing on there all morning on Saturday. Glad it didn't poop while was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I'd heard about it. Any word on what happened? (That might be common knowledge, but it's not something that's made it to me, yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    I'd heard about it. Any word on what happened? (That might be common knowledge, but it's not something that's made it to me, yet.)
    42 rope-evac'ed

this is where I saw it:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CL19luqp..._web_copy_link

At approximately 5:40pm last night the new Pucci lift experienced an electronic fault that would not reset. Efforts to unload the lift via the auxiliary motor were unsuccessful. This resulted in a rope evacuation of 42 guests by Timberline ski patrol and staff. The evacuation was completed by 8:15pm. All guests were accounted for and no injuries resulted from the incident. Pucci is closed for maintenance troubleshooting today as we continue our internal investigation. It will open as soon as safely possible. We are extremely apologetic for the huge inconvenience and stress to our affected customers.

They couldn't get the Hamster SWAT team to turn the bullwheel? What the hell is the world coming to!? Hopefully they gave all affected a coupon for a free hot chocolate at the WY'East Cafe.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    A. Don't teach your girlfriend
    B. Don't do it.
    C. Refer to A and B.
    D. If you skip A through C, start looking for another girlfriend.
    Quoted for truth. It has always ended in disaster for me.

Anybody get turns in on cascade today? Was shooting for tomorrow but will probably be there Thursday and Friday for springtime cruising.

RE: teaching a SO - treat it as a litmus test. Can she handle you giving tips and pointers without losing her shit? Going about it yourself is probably not the most efficient way to show her the ropes, but it make for great stories. My now wife still gives me shit about the time I tried to kill her when I took her skiing down some blue at tline. She got spooked, took off her skis and walked back UP. She doesn't ski to this day, but she sure does put up with my BS with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Anybody get turns in on cascade today? Was shooting for tomorrow but will probably be there Thursday and Friday for springtime cruising.

RE: teaching a SO - treat it as a litmus test. Can she handle you giving tips and pointers without losing her shit? Going about it yourself is probably not the most efficient way to show her the ropes, but it make for great stories. My now wife still gives me shit about the time I tried to kill her when I took her skiing down some blue at tline. She got spooked, took off her skis and walked back UP. She doesn't ski to this day, but she sure does put up with my BS with a smile.
    I was up there today. Groomers mid mountain and below were great! Everything up top is wind hammered - it is skiable though. Lots of soft wind transport that skied amazing in heather today. if you go hunting in shaded steep trees lower down, there’s plenty of boot deep, cold and untracked turns for ya

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    Can she handle you giving tips and pointers without losing her shit? Going about it yourself is probably not the most efficient way to show her the ropes, but it make for great stories. My now wife still gives me shit about the time I tried to kill her when I took her skiing down some blue at tline. She got spooked, took off her skis and walked back UP. She doesn't ski to this day, but she sure does put up with my BS with a smile.
    I think you've got this turned around. It's not about the SO's ability to handle things, it's yours. By yours I'm referring to anyone contemplating teaching their SO.

Be honest with yourself. Can you give tips and pointers in a way that she/he doesn't lose their shit? Can you spend an entire powder day on the carpet and maybe B Cup without pushing the SO higher before they are ready? If it's not native to your constitution, leave it to the pros. They are paid to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I think you've got this turned around. It's not about the SO's ability to handle things, it's yours. By yours I'm referring to anyone contemplating teaching their SO.

Be honest with yourself. Can you give tips and pointers in a way that she/he doesn't lose their shit? Can you spend an entire powder day on the carpet and maybe B Cup without pushing the SO higher before they are ready? If it's not native to your constitution, leave it to the pros. They are paid to be patient.
    This this this

Taught my wife to ski. There were tears, public bouts of yelling and swearing, and a pole was thrown at me. It was no big deal. I threw a pole at her afterward and everyone settled down.

Bachelor spring pass
    Booked some dates for RV lot early April. Can’t wait