Page 30 of 94 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    For sure. I'll stop complaining.

What's the deal with the HRE lift? Different technology that renders it easily iced over? Shooting Star, further up the mountain and with greater exposure to ice fired right up.
    I think it had to do with elevation as well. The snow was much wetter and heavier down low. It was most likely slightly drier snow higher up on star and MHX.

It was sort of the perfect storm for a cluster fuck. The lift was suppose to open early at 8:30 so everyone went to HRM but ice kept it from running until 9:45. All this happened on a holiday weekend where it dropped a foot of snow the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a marked difference between the top of MHX and Star when it comes to a storm. I think the top station at Star, while being higher is more protected than MHX. I don't think I have ever seen HRM that delayed. I can see the line getting pretty big as there is no alternate to HRM once you get down low. So it's not that it was super crowded, it's just that it's really easy for a crowd to get funneled at Meadows, and no alternates to move to once you are at the bottom.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    I can see the line getting pretty big as there is no alternate to HRM once you get down low. So it's not that it was super crowded, it's just that it's really easy for a crowd to get funneled at Meadows, and no alternates to move to once you are at the bottom.
    Exactly, that HRM photo doesn't represent a crowding problem, it's a logistics issue when that lift isn't running. I've been up there a number of days when the lots were full and the lines are pretty much dependent on whether Vista/Cascade are running.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Damn, I have been trying to find a fan type goggle set up ever since my Smith Phenom Turbofans bit the dust this season. Got about 12 years out of them. Loved the effectiveness of the fan on that goggle. Worked like a charm. So, these Haber Vision goggles are decent for dealing with the fogging issues? I see on there site some goggles are on sale. I just need to find a pair that work in low light situations.
    Here's an update on my goggle issues and troubleshooting so far this season.

Smith Vice: No Dice.
    For the last few years, my go to goggle has been Smith Vice with Chromapop Storm Rose Flash lenses. Awesome clarity on storm days and midwinter sunny days, I don't go to darker lenses until sun angles get higher in the spring.
    This season they fogged on my first couple days unless I had my nostrils popping out of my mask like my dick out of an unzipped fly. I switched from a 2-layer cloth mask with inner membrane to a Stark mask that's basically like thickly spun polypro. Fog improved but not eliminated. Checked helmet vents open vs closed, yup they were open. This is on a Smith Vantage helmet ... tried adding gaper gap, nope, still foggy. Noticed my lenses had a bad seal with water spots between the lens layers, swapped to a new spare I had lying around, still fogged.

Dragon DX: Old school but no fog!
    Pulled out my old spare goggles while waiting for my Habers to show up. No fog when moving! I could even pull my buff up and over the mouth, on top of my Stark mask fully covering my face, and be extra cautious (my wife rounds on a few C19+ patients each week) - they worked very well with only occasional fog when stationary. These goggle frames were cool in the late 90s and early 2000s but quickly fell out of style compared to bubble sized goggles. But fuck it, optics are still good, and they never fogged whatsoever, even with no gaper gap on the helmet.

Haber Vision Baccarat w/ Eliminator Fan: New look, good optics, no fog, quiet fan, not yet sold on storm lenses though
    Got the Habers in the mail about 10 days after ordering, which was fine considering Christmas shopping delays. Fit is great, optics are great, and I ran the fan in auto and couldn't tell if it was ever kicking in. I turned it on to test and mine's pretty quiet and hard to hear over lift noise. The Blue Flash lens is great and works well in variable light but only has a VLT of about 10%. The optic orange has incredible contrast in flat light, but is basically monochromatic so you can't see colors for shit, and it only has a VLT of 35% so it's dark, way darker than I'm used to. But it worked fine on a really rimy-wet stormy day without fogging ... then later developed visible water between the lenses. The water dried out without leaving spots, so thats great, and I have an inquiry in to Haber to see if this is a wrranty issue. I like the magnetic lens swap system, optical quality is great, the lenses are really cheap to replace ($20 - $50 depending on model and discount the site is running) ... but I really wish they had a 50% VLT rose/persimmon option for those really dark days tree skiing under a nuking storm, and I'm curious what they have to say about liquid condensation or intrusion between the two lenses.

Bottom line for those with fogging issues ... if you love your goggles you can buy just the Eliminator fan and it probably will help, but you might also just try a different model that is designed to vent better than other models. I was surprised the Vice was so bad at venting since it's a newer model Smith ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I just started lifting my goggles up when I hit the lift line. All my problems solved.
    Training for Alpental

Looking forward to maggot stoke from today. It's nice and cold here in Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Looking forward to maggot stoke from today. It's nice and cold here in Portland.
    Kicking myself for not calling in. But the body needs some rest after mobbing refrozen mashed taters all weekend.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Here's an update on my goggle issues and troubleshooting so far this season.

Smith Vice: No Dice.
    For the last few years, my go to goggle has been Smith Vice with Chromapop Storm Rose Flash lenses. Awesome clarity on storm days and midwinter sunny days, I don't go to darker lenses until sun angles get higher in the spring.
    This season they fogged on my first couple days unless I had my nostrils popping out of my mask like my dick out of an unzipped fly. I switched from a 2-layer cloth mask with inner membrane to a Stark mask that's basically like thickly spun polypro. Fog improved but not eliminated. Checked helmet vents open vs closed, yup they were open. This is on a Smith Vantage helmet ... tried adding gaper gap, nope, still foggy. Noticed my lenses had a bad seal with water spots between the lens layers, swapped to a new spare I had lying around, still fogged.

Bottom line for those with fogging issues ... if you love your goggles you can buy just the Eliminator fan and it probably will help, but you might also just try a different model that is designed to vent better than other models. I was surprised the Vice was so bad at venting since it's a newer model Smith ...
    SchralphMacchio Excellent reviews. I too have the Smith Vice. Fogging issues a plenty. Just not enough volume inside that lens, IMO.

I went with your suggestion and pulled the trigger last week on the Haber Fan. Hoping that does the trick. But, I DIY'd my Smith Turbofans, and got some foam and super glued it to the lens frame. It looks like crap from the outside, but no one is the wiser while wearing them. I removed the battery power device as it was no longer functioning. But the Smith Blue Sensor Storm lens, which is what's in my Turbofan is the bomb, and I haven't found a lens that provides the type of contrast this lens has. I feel it's slightly better in low light than the Chromapop Storm Rose Flash lens, but not as good when the sun starts to peak out.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Phiber: I know the feeling... Even with distance learning, still feel massive guilt leaving my students in the lurch. Can't have substitutes with virtual learning. Was gonna go up to the bowl. But, was thrown a last minute meeting curveball keeping me tethered to the laptop.

I just started lifting my goggles up when I hit the lift line. All my problems solved.
    I tried that method. All I get is refogging after I put the goggles back down. My current method, which I posted in a Tech Talk thread is to leave my goggles on the defroster vent with it running while I put my boots and gear on. Then put mask on, helmet, then goggles down over my face. Two days running in those warmish high 20's, low 30's and have had zero issues with fogging. Even while standing in the lift line for 20 minutes before the lifts load up. Also included a quick 8 minute boot back up the West side of the Cinder cone with mask on and goggles down to see what would happen. No fogging, but the wind was blowing, so that probably helped with air circulation.

FWIW, while in JHMR, and temps in the single digits and low teens, no issues what so ever with fogging. Probably the drier air made a big difference? Who knows. All I know is, I got to try and not overheat when shredding pow. And I'm getting used to just having my Athleta mask on and sealed under my goggles at all times until it's quitting time.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    Timberline was good first thing, though more crowded than I’d hoped, especially for a Tuesday.

Oh, and to the 2 snowboarders who found it appropriate to crowd me to the point of sniffing my bung: stay golden guys, you’re class acts. Especially when I asked you “am I in your way?” and then 3-minutes later “would you feel better if I just stepped aside and let you in front of me, I mean clearly I’m in your way now.”

I think I’m going to start standing in line with my poles pointed directly behind me. If the tips of my poles are of concern to those behind, YOU’RE TOO CLOSE!!! How hard is 6ft? Seriously? I went home before I got stabby.

Re: fogging - I've been using that OR Ubertube + Zeal Portal with no issue. Ubertube + Smiths (idk the model) was a no go. Zeal's got their anti-fog coating sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeject View Post
    Exactly, that HRM photo doesn't represent a crowding problem, it's a logistics issue when that lift isn't running. I've been up there a number of days when the lots were full and the lines are pretty much dependent on whether Vista/Cascade are running.
    You're right. If Vista/Cascade are running there is a lot less demand below.

That said, you would think, during a pandemic, that there would be some better planning. According to their twitter account they were pretty sure they weren't going to run vista/cascade all weekend, and they knew that multiple days ahead of time...which begs the question, why sell so many day of tickets in that case? they must have had some predictions that not as many people ski that last day of holiday break...and obviously to make $$.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

this is where I am
    doesn't solve the wet buff, but that's as good as I can do

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Timberline was good first thing, though more crowded than I’d hoped, especially for a Tuesday.

Oh, and to the 2 snowboarders who found it appropriate to crowd me to the point of sniffing my bung: stay golden guys, you’re class acts. Especially when I asked you “am I in your way?” and then 3-minutes later “would you feel better if I just stepped aside and let you in front of me, I mean clearly I’m in your way now.”

I think I’m going to start standing in line with my poles pointed directly behind me. If the tips of my poles are of concern to those behind, YOU’RE TOO CLOSE!!! How hard is 6ft? Seriously? I went home before I got stabby.
    exaggerated arm movements with poles in hand does wonder. I'm telling you, the flail works. I had a group of three come up on us in line without masks on Sunday. Turned to the man in the group and asked him to mask up. He told me that it was all good because we were on the mountain. I said, "is it all good? Because you could be the reason we lose the season." Crickets and masks went up.

Nice riding at MHM today. Started with a little bit of wind affected fresh and low crowd density. Clouded up around 12 with the next front arriving.

Tomorrow should be classic PNW storm skiing. Don't bring your foggy goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post

My approach has devolved into: ' Im gonna need you to back up a few as I take the 6 feet thing real seriously.' Usually works well.
    The people who slide right into my pocket, I say ' If I can poke you right in your eye with my ski pole, your too close.' That one works equally well.

Been tossing out to the dentist types, 'Well, you're obviously not a carpenter...'
    They just give ya the dumb as a cow expression.

And thanks for sending your storms our way over here in JH, btw.

☆Stabby☆ that's hilarious.
    Name:  20210105_145322.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  84.6 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210105_093915.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	655.0 KB 
ID:	356443
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210105_152620.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	957.1 KB 
ID:	356445
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Great squiggles Jonesy.

Looking forward to fresh snow tomorrow. Should be at mhm all day if anyone wants to ride. Tall dude neon yellow helmet. Skiing long ass kastles or stocklis.

Maybe you boys could help school me a bit. It just occurred to me that I have a reliable 3 day weekend and maybe I should actually try and ski this year.
    Thinking of getting a midweek at Hoodoo, never skied there. Logistically the biggest factor is overnight parking, I have a sketchy minivan and have spent many an eve in freeskiier parking. How's it work at hoodoo, overnight seems like no go? Not trying to pay RV fees, is overnighting at the sno-park socially acceptable (I aint from around here)? Thanks

Good morning teleposeur. Hoodoo charges for RV hook ups but Benson Snowpark near Santiam Summit is a low keyed arera.
    Name:  20210106_063231.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  61.7 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Thanks jonesy. We were up there last weekend doing some xc, sno park looked super, but wasn't sure of the protocols.

Overnight parking/sleeping in a vehicle is 100% allowed in OR snoparks unless signed otherwise. No camping outside of a vehicle, like a tent or igloo in the lot. Be prepared to get plowed in during a storm, especially at little used parks.

This